Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is, why is it so hard for me to get my hands on luck potions? Can’t they be added to chests loot pool? I don’t think they’re overly OP and I really don’t think adding maybe the lesser luck potions to gold chests, the regular luck potions to jungle shrine chests, and the greater luck potions to obsidian chests would be that OP or game breaking at all.

My question is, why is it so hard for me to get my hands on luck potions? Can’t they be added to chests loot pool? I don’t think they’re overly OP and I really don’t think adding maybe the lesser luck potions to gold chests, the regular luck potions to jungle shrine chests, and the greater luck potions to obsidian chests would be that OP or game breaking at all.

This has come up before and I agree. As it stands now, you’re better off just being in your farm grinding the item you need than wasting your time gathering the materials for luck potions because they are so rare, so luck potions are pretty much useless.

At the very least, getting Pearls from Oysters should be much more realistic. I think 75% for White, 20% for Black and 5% for Pink would be fair, but I’m not a mathematician. They should also have other sources, like you suggested.

It sorta isn't. The Wizard can tell you an approximation of how "lucky" you are. However, there are two main problems with this.
1- This means some players may not even know about luck until they talk to the Wizard in HARDMODE. It's possible to know about it beforehand with luck potions I guess, but there's still no way to measure luck until Hardmode.
2- The Wizard's "luck" dialogue isn't guaranteed. You may just get his regular dialogue. And some players don't even read the dialogue so they might accidentally skip it and not know how to measure luck until they look it up themselves. I myself looked it up and I was confused as to how to get the Wizard to tell me my luck until I realized I have to just open his dialogue box over and over until I eventually get the message where he tells me.
I'm...fine with the luck measurement being in Hardmode, since bad torch luck was almost completely removed. But I wish the Wizard had a "Luck" option like how the guide has a "Crafting" option or the Dryad has "Status".
Sure, you can vaguely know your luck in hardmode, when you're next to the wizard, but you can't bring the wizard wherever you go and how much luck you have is affected by some area specific factors like torches and gnomes and none non intuitive factors like ladybugs. Plus, unless you know about luck already, you probably won't think twice about what the wizard says and think what he's saying is irrelevant.

Would it be too much to ask for a luck number that's displayed above your defense number so that you can know your luck anytime definitively? Also, then players will know luck is an actual mechanic of the game, which currently most people don't know about unless they specifically look at the wiki. I know i didn't find out until i looked up gnomes on the wiki.

Sure, you can vaguely know your luck in hardmode, when you're next to the wizard, but you can't bring the wizard wherever you go and how much luck you have is affected by some area specific factors like torches and gnomes and none non intuitive factors like ladybugs. Plus, unless you know about luck already, you probably won't think twice about what the wizard says and think what he's saying is irrelevant.

Would it be too much to ask for a luck number that's displayed above your defense number so that you can know your luck anytime definitively? Also, then players will know luck is an actual mechanic of the game, which currently most people don't know about unless they specifically look at the wiki. I know i didn't find out until i looked up gnomes on the wiki.
Honestly it’s probably too late, but a new “lucky charm” or item that measures luck could have been added, and maybe even added to the recipe for the PDA. Then more people would know about luck and it wouldn’t be as hidden. I agree there also should be a “Luck” option from the wizard that can be clicked on, similar to the status from the dryad

Yeah, that's why I said the mechanic *sorta* isn't hidden. Problem is, you can only find out via giving the guide an ingredient to a luck potion and discovering it that way, or the Wizard in Hardmode.

My point wasn't that the Wizard is a good way to measure luck. I agree with you, he really isn't. Rather, he just lets you know that luck is a thing in the first place, in case you don't know. But even that basic function has the problems I talked about in my first post. That's why I want him to have the "Luck" option, so that players are AT LEAST made aware of the mechanic's existence properly, even if it's in Hardmode. (Why doesn't the Guide talk about it? He's the Guide! He should be the one to give you tips!)

A way for luck to be measured at all times would be nice, though. I remember seeing a suggestion to just incorporate it into the Cell Phone without the need to add another info accessory, but idk, it might be too late to introduce anything of the sort.

Honestly it’s probably too late, but a new “lucky charm” or item that measures luck could have been added, and maybe even added to the recipe for the PDA. Then more people would know about luck and it wouldn’t be as hidden. I agree there also should be a “Luck” option from the wizard that can be clicked on, similar to the status from the dryad
I'd be ok if they had it as part of the cell phone recipe, but i think having it passively would be preferable. The reason why i'm not satisfied with it just being told by the wizard like the Dryad has status or like how the guide has crafting is because unlike those two things, luck is partially region specific, with torches and gnome luck. Not to mention that luck exists prehardmode while the wizard does not.

So while having the wizard having a "luck" button would be an improvement, it would be much better to have it not depend on the wizard to know your luck

If they really want it to keep Wizard exclusive.
Carrying the Crystal Ball in your inventory could show your luck stat in same way informational accessories show their info.

It kinda makes sense no? Crystal balls can tell your fortune and future.

If they really want it to keep Wizard exclusive.
Carrying the Crystal Ball in your inventory could show your luck stat in same way informational accessories show their info.

It kinda makes sense no? Crystal balls can tell your fortune and future.
sure it makes some kind of sense, but why do that when having it passively would be so much better, plus that means you'd have to lose an inventory slot just to see your luck, so even making it a part of cell phone would still be better.

Why do you want to handicap people to postgame expensive items just so they can see there luck? What is the advantage?

Why do you want to handicap people to postgame expensive items just so they can see there luck? What is the advantage?

Eh? The Crystal Ball is available as soon as the Wizard himself is, it's not even close to "postgame".
ETA: And a plain inventory slot isn't so much, especially when you can stash it in portable storage as needed. In my current game I'm already carrying one in portable storage, for the buff, and I'm not even a mage.

Eh? The Crystal Ball is available as soon as the Wizard himself is, it's not even close to "postgame".
ETA: And a plain inventory slot isn't so much, especially when you can stash it in portable storage as needed. In my current game I'm already carrying one in portable storage, for the buff, and I'm not even a mage.
you're right it isn't that much, but it is something, and there's no advantage of having it that way as opposed to just having it passively. What do you mean " it's not even close to "postgame"." The Wizard is literally in hardmode, which is at least halfway through the game, which is way too long to be withholding information about mechanics, especially ones that affect your the entirety of the game.

He may just still in the 1.1 mindset where hardmode is pretty much postgame.
1.2 and forward don't have a postgame phase. I wish they did.

I’d object that 1.2 actually had the biggest postgame in the game’s history.

Once you cleared Plantera, you have several options: kill Golem, explore the Dungeon, fight the Moons, fight Fishron. All of these unlocked their own set of final weapons or gear, but they all built on each other rather than any one of them beong the end. None of them were a "big finale" like Wall of Flesh or Moon Lord - that went to Plantera. That’s one of the things I miss from the 1.3 onward era - we have too little to do postgame.

I’d object that 1.2 actually had the biggest postgame in the game’s history.

Once you cleared Plantera, you have several options: kill Golem, explore the Dungeon, fight the Moons, fight Fishron. All of these unlocked their own set of final weapons or gear, but they all built on each other rather than any one of them beong the end. None of them were a "big finale" like Wall of Flesh or Moon Lord - that went to Plantera. That’s one of the things I miss from the 1.3 onward era - we have too little to do postgame.
One thing I personally would love to see added to the game (and I really hope leinfors sees this) is something to do with purification. I would love to see the player get a special reward from the dryad after purifying the entire world. Something really really cool that would incentivize doing so at least once in a players terraria career. Then at least we could have SOMETHING to do after Moon Lord is defeated. I agree that the endgame of terraria is a bit of a double edged sword on the fact that you do beat the moon lord and get all this amazing loot, but unfortunately have nothing to really use it on.

I'm sorry for calling it postgame, my point is why have luck visibility restricted until so late in the game? Is there some advantage of having it only viewable from the wizard or an item from the wizard?

I'm sorry for calling it postgame, my point is why have luck visibility restricted until so late in the game? Is there some advantage of having it only viewable from the wizard or an item from the wizard?
I agree that it should be more visible, that’s why I reccomend adding luck potions to chest loot pools and making the pearls easier to fish up, as well as adding an item that measures luck maybe to be dropped by an enemy in pre hardmode

Also, I just had an amazing idea. What if the player could craft or obtain a more efficient clentaminator upgrade post moon lord, as well as adding in the special dryad reward/rewards? Perhaps combining luminite and clentaminator and maybe some other stuff can make an upgrade, to then help the player to achieve 100% purification. I think a great reward from the dryad could be some vanity or decoration stuff, like a really cool trophy, and maybe a special item that automatically purifies an entire world with a click. Maybe a cool weapon too, but lol, maybe I’m asking for too much.

I guess one solution would be to make the wizard spawn prehardmode, maybe after you max out your mana or something like that. Nothing he sells really is usable in a game breaking way prehardmode other than maybe the greater mana potion so you wouldn't have to fiddle with his inventory much.
He would still need a luck inventory option I think and we still need some kind of way to check our luck on the fly.
~~~
Edit: I just thought of something else. The Wizard being available prehardmode would let you buy a crystal ball which brings it into line with the other three buff stations and would allow you to use it for crafting purposes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom