Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Undwrworld accessories, am I the only one who really dislikes the Treasure Magnet?

It has about half to a third the reach of other “pulling” items like Heartreach, Gold Ring, etc. It also takes a second to grab items, making it much less effective than those two.

It also has no tinkers. If you could fuse it into other accessories then it could have some good utility use but I don’t think it’ll ever be neccesary to waste an entire accessory to increase pickup radius by only about 5 tiles unless it had other uses tacked on.

Lastly, it’s clutter for Shadow Chests. I get wanting to give more items to Shadow Chests, but it’s simply not good enough. Maybe it could be a secondary item, but Shadow Chests already have three secondary items. Maybe its placement could be swapped with Demonic Hellcart, because unlike the Magnet, the Hellcart has an (albeit rare) niche, and isn’t detrimental to equip because it’s slightly more useful than any other minecarts until the Mechanical Cart and isn’t wasting valuable accessory slots.

I know it’s a little bit too late now, but this item kinda needs to be redone.

Speaking of accessories, am I the only one who really dislikes the Treasure Magnet?

It has about half to a third the reach of other “pulling” items like Heartreach, Gold Ring, etc. It also takes a second to grab items, making it much less effective than those two.

It also has no tinkers. If you could fuse it into other accessories then it could have some good utility use but I don’t think it’ll ever be necessary to waste an entire accessory to increase pickup radius by only about 5 tiles unless it had other uses tacked on.

Lastly, it’s clutter for Shadow Chests. I get wanting to give more items to Shadow Chests, but it’s simply not good enough. Maybe it could be a secondary item, but Shadow Chests already have three secondary items. Maybe its placement could be swapped with Demonic Hellcart, because unlike the Magnet, the Hellcart has an (albeit rare) niche, and isn’t detrimental to equip because it’s slightly more useful than any other minecarts until the Mechanical Cart and isn’t wasting valuable accessory slots.

I know it’s a little bit too late now, but this item kinda needs to be redone.
Nah, the Hellcart is even more useless than the Magnet.
I think the 1-sec wait time should be removed and the range increased to 8 blocks.
What I'd also like is a new item like this (which of course will not happen):
Hearty Magnet
Gives you a slightly weaker Heartreach effect
Crafted from 2 Life Crystals, 15 Shadow Scales/Tissue Samples and 5 Gold/Platinum Bars at a Tinkerer's Workshop
And this:
Duality Magnet
Gives you the C. Magnet effect and the slightly weaker Heartreach
Crafted from a Celestial Magnet, a Hearty Magnet and 30 Bones
Plus:
Trifecta Magnet
Gives you the C. Magnet effect and the slightly weaker Heartreach along with an item pickup range increase of 8 tiles
Crafted from a Duality Magnet, 15 Hellstone Bars and a Treasure Magnet
Finally:
Greedy Magnet
Gives you the effects of both the Trifecta Magnet and the Greedy Ring
The Heartreach effect of this item is the same as the potion
Let's be fair, the Greedy Ring is only helpful for AFK-farming, and it is not worth the slot to put it on in combat for a little extra cash. This tinker would give it the chance to be useful in actual fights, not for offense, but as a passive effect that is not using up a slot.
Crafted from a Trifecta Magnet and a Greedy Ring

I think this would (if it were possible with the current state of the game, which it is not) make both the Greedy Ring and Treasure Magnet much more useful.
You are not alone in your dislike for that magnet.

About the Blade Staff... It's like disrupting the normal Summoner's path by slowing it down due to the Blade's Staff drop chance.
An inexperienced player simply may not be able to defeat Twins with using the Spider Staff, so the Blade Staff available. But, wait! "It's so hard and long to farm those annoying cursed things" - any player who needed to get it would say.
My suggestion is absurdly and simply - make the Blade Staff drop chance more often, like 25%.

EDIT: I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this before me, or not..

Last edited:
Treasure Magnet is nice vanity item.
And it is useful for builders using the architect gizmo pack, allowing them to collect blocks that are normally out of reach.
Each item has a niche in which it works.

Treasure Magnet is nice vanity item.
And it is useful for builders using the architect gizmo pack, allowing them to collect blocks that are normally out of reach.
Each item has a niche in which it works.
That... is a very lame niche...
Plus it is not much of a niche. This item has a chance to replace the (all-powerful) Sunfury. Seriously, on one world I found 8 TMags and only 1 Sunfury.

Which is what it's meant to be for, right? After the Dungeon (which is where you get the Shadow Key) the WoF is the next challenge.
Also, it should probably disappear after hitting 5 times or so to prevent abusing it in the OOA

Which is what it's meant to be for, right? After the Dungeon (which is where you get the Shadow Key) the WoF is the next challenge.
Also, it should probably disappear after hitting 5 times or so to prevent abusing it in the OOA

While we’re at it, Night’s Edge could have a projectile too. I’m thinking it could shoot a dark wave similar to the Flying Dragon, which pierces indefinitely, slows down after each hit and disappearing after a short time. This would make the Night’s Edge much better for the Wall of Flesh and would actually make it decent for end pre-Hardmode and early Hardmode.

Hey @Leinfors , could you please tell which minions use static resistance and which ones use local resistance? ...
My best guess at everything that currently uses static immunity:
Firework Rockets, BabySlime, Retanimini (but not his laser!), Spazmamini, Spider Staff Minions (VenomSpider, JumperSpider, DangerousSpider), DeadlySphere, MonkStaffT2 ?, VolatileGelatinBall

Each player gets their own global immunity slot, but I think static immunity is just one slot shared between all players? It might be bad for more than one player to use these in multiplayer.

It has less range, but it also stacks with them, meaning that combining Treasure Magnet with, say, Gold Ring grabs coins from even further away; it also helps grab Nebula Armor buffs. I'm not sure what you mean by taking a second to grab items; do you just mean the time it takes for the item to reach the player? Because code-wise, all it does is increase grab range, and nothing else; I guess making treasure magnet increase regular item pull speed wouldn't be a terrible idea.

It has less range, but it also stacks with them, meaning that combining Treasure Magnet with, say, Gold Ring grabs coins from even further away; it also helps grab Nebula Armor buffs. I'm not sure what you mean by taking a second to grab items; do you just mean the time it takes for the item to reach the player? Because code-wise, all it does is increase grab range, and nothing else; I guess making treasure magnet increase regular item pull speed wouldn't be a terrible idea.

It has a strange function where items hover before being pulled to the player for some reason. It’s not long, but it means it doesn’t do its job well if you’re going fast enough.

The reason the other pull items work well is they already either combine into other things or are separate. Celestial Magnet can combine into other, more useful Mage accessories so there’s a good motive to use it. Gold Ring combines with other money accessories for efficient money farming. Heartreach Potion is a potion, so there’s no real detriment to using it. Treasure Magnet, however, is a full accessory slot gone for just extra pickup range, which could much better be used for combat accessories.

If it tinkered into other accessories, it would probably be worth equipping, but on its own, it fits a very small purpose. I know it stacks with the other “attractors” but the fact that its boost is small to begin with and has no tinkers means it really isn’t worth using over anything else.

Biggest issue, however, is how it wastes Shadow Chests. I’d have no ground to stand on criticizing the Magnet, no matter how weak, if it were sold from the Traveling Merchant or Skeleton Merchant, for example. Then it can just be considered another meh building accessory. But when you get this item with a rare niche and no combat value in place of a powerful weapon to kill the Wall with, it’s frustrating. It either needs a substantial buff to actually be worth anything compared to other Shadow Chest loot, or moved to a different, less wasteful source.

I find the Treasure magnet invaluable -- it saves a lot of back-and-forth to pick drops up just bumming around various biomes, and in events as well. It also picks up Etherian Mana, in OOA, which is very useful! It can also pull stuff out of lava. Since my accessory slots are crowded, I tend to make it a swap-buddy with the Gizmo Pack, so I can alternate between reach for mining and reach for items.

With each of the Spider Staff Minions (Venom Spider, Jumper Spider, Dangerous Spider), having their own static immunity slot, spiders that look the same can block each other from dealing damage but spiders that look different won't. If this was intentional, then why are spawned spiders completely random instead of summoning one the player does not have before summoning duplicates?

Yeah, I had a lot of problems wrapping my head around this too. Sound doesn't act like electricity.
In physics, yes, sound does travel faster in water because the molecules are more tightly packed together and stuff. But this is Terraria, a game where flying eyeballs and floating skeleton heads exist; not everything has to make sense and reflect real-life logic. Also, Magical Harp's projectiles are powered by, well, magic, and can be seen, unlike sound. Altering the properties of its projectile is a waste of code and time, especially now, when devs focus on the more important bits for the next update. I dunno, the Magical Harp works fine already, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom