Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
... hopefully I can explain the issue clearly enough that people will understand.
Just do what you think is best without worrying about complaints. No need to struggle to make a perfectly elegant changelog. If you go the nerf route just say hits twice as often and leave the immunity frames details in a footnote. It has been thoroughly discussed here so there are plenty of active community members who understand the details and will rush to your defense if someone complains.

I can say right now that I'm trying to look at Super Star Shooter and I'm not happy with any solution with this paradoxical nightmare.

I'm either going to have to slow it down so much that it feels sluggish (aka, not fun) or reduce its damage AND slow it down somewhat (aka, not fun).

All to fix the "some shots miss" issue (aka, not fun).

Every solution I've come up with might be perceived as a nerf, though undoubtedly would actually be a buff in truth.

I can say this right now: I can increase its use time by 50% (fires only 2 shots in the time it would normally take to fire 3), AND reduce its damage by 10, and the weapon still does more DPS.

But I mean, if you read in the changelog "Leinfors made your weapon fire less and deal less damage", who's going to believe that its stronger than before?
What about increasing the number of stars that fall during lantern nights and meteor showers regardless of what ever buffnerfs you decide to do of not do?

What about increasing the number of stars that fall during lantern nights and meteor showers regardless of what ever buffnerfs you decide to do of not do?

Given that Mana Crystals were made more expensive because people complained Fallen Stars were too easy to get, I really doubt this will happen.

I have to say I think the buffs to apprentice armor were a bit excessive since now it has one of the best magic damage boosts in the game for a mid hardmode set.
Also the buffs to Monk and Shinobi may be a bit much too, but conaidering these sets depend a lot on melee speed to be viable and they're still quite expensive, I think it is alright.

To counter that though, Flameburst still fells like a worse Ballista.

Though a question; how do you make Ballista and Flameburst feel different? Would it be a case where Flameburst is more accurate than Ballista and shoots more often, or would it better if Ballista was more accurate and high damaging but shoots very slowly(outside of Ballista panick)

Though a question; how do you make Ballista and Flameburst feel different? Would it be a case where Flameburst is more accurate than Ballista and shoots more often, or would it better if Ballista was more accurate and high damaging but shoots very slowly(outside of Ballista panick)
Yeah the set bonus are the major difference to the sentries.

Personally I think both sentries do not feel different enough even if the set bonus, but it's just that the other two operate in a very unique way. Because of this, is very likely that one will be stronger than the other.
Since Explosive and Lightning are so unique (they are both static low range sentries) it's possible to balance them around specific events better, Ballista and Flamebusrt are bound to be more versatile due to their longer range, while Lightning and Explosive could be more powerful in OOA (tho I'm not sure if they are now, Oiled buff made it a lot better, but huntress armor is still the worst OOA set).
I guess the difference should be that Flameburst is better for boss fights? Since it is supposed to have better range/use agaist flying enemies.

Is there any verdict on Jungle Creepers? I feel like my other post was lost in the SSS discussion, and the rest of the suggestions I listed are fairly minor so I’m not gonna go through and restate them all, but I do want to bring this up again just to make sure I’m heard.

First off, sorry for being a bit of a jerk about them last time I brought them up. I had just dealt with them in the Jungle for about an hour and was admittedly throwing a little bit of a hissy fit. I know this can’t make things work out in my favor, so I’ll try to give my complaints in a less... harsh manner this time, and try to be more specific on what exactly should change.

I believe Jungle Creepers were given new stats based around that of the Black Recluse, but that’s really not a fair basis. Black Recluses are a specific enemy, spawning as sort of a challenge in their own particular environment. They are purposely strong for their tier to put a bit of a block on Spider Armor, they can be worked around due to their specific environment.

Instead of comparing them to Black Recluses, I will prop them up against other Jungle enemies.

-Health. They have double the health on average of a Moss Creeper or Angry Trapper, and just slightly less than a Tortoise. They also have a defense of 40!, beating out even the tortoise in defense. They become huge damage sponges for what should logically be a frail enemy, especially against the best weapons during their tier - rapid fire weapons.

-Attack. In a vacuum, 100 damage is a fair damage value for a Jungle tier melee enemy. However, it’s what else they can do that makes this so terrifying. Not only do they inflict 100 damage on hit, meaning 300 in Master, but they *also*, rarely but still can, inflict Venom - which specifically happens to be a very potent buff after their 1.4 buffs. The combination of 250 damage in one hit, counting for average defense in Master Mode, and several seconds of Venom tallying up to 96 additional damage regardless of defense, allows them to take out three quarters of the player’s health pool in a single strike.

-Ability. I get why they were given the ability to spit webs - to compare them to Black Recluses, but this attack in particular is completely unfair given the circumstances. The UG jungle is filled with Hornets which can snipe you easily if you aren’t constantly moving, and Tortoises that hit like a missile and require precautions to keep from rocking themselves. The Creepers themselves also hit incredibly hard as I already established. All this combined, and getting shot by Web Spit during your travels is a death sentence.

I would personally do one of two things to nerf them:
1) make them frailer and keep the web spit, allowing them to paralyze the player in dangerous situations but not realistically being able to kill the player on their own otherwise. This would make them an interesting enemy that the player still has to be cautious around, while also not being completely too strong.
2) Remove the web spit ability, and keep their other stats where they are. Then, they can be a hard hitter found in the Underground Jungle that can tank hits and cut out huge swathes of player HP, but not being too mobile or having the advantage Web Spit gives to their melee potency. I’d prefer this as it’s more thematically accurate to the Underground Jungle than a web spitter.

Again, sorry for being an :red: about them earlier, and please consider looking into a nerf for them. Thank you

Is there any verdict on Jungle Creepers? I feel like my other post was lost in the SSS discussion, and the rest of the suggestions I listed are fairly minor so I’m not gonna go through and restate them all, but I do want to bring this up again just to make sure I’m heard.

First off, sorry for being a bit of a jerk about them last time I brought them up. I had just dealt with them in the Jungle for about an hour and was admittedly throwing a little bit of a hissy fit. I know this can’t make things work out in my favor, so I’ll try to give my complaints in a less... harsh manner this time, and try to be more specific on what exactly should change.

I believe Jungle Creepers were given new stats based around that of the Black Recluse, but that’s really not a fair basis. Black Recluses are a specific enemy, spawning as sort of a challenge in their own particular environment. They are purposely strong for their tier to put a bit of a block on Spider Armor, they can be worked around due to their specific environment.

Instead of comparing them to Black Recluses, I will prop them up against other Jungle enemies.

-Health. They have double the health on average of a Moss Creeper or Angry Trapper, and just slightly less than a Tortoise. They also have a defense of 40!, beating out even the tortoise in defense. They become huge damage sponges for what should logically be a frail enemy, especially against the best weapons during their tier - rapid fire weapons.

-Attack. In a vacuum, 100 damage is a fair damage value for a Jungle tier melee enemy. However, it’s what else they can do that makes this so terrifying. Not only do they inflict 100 damage on hit, meaning 300 in Master, but they *also*, rarely but still can, inflict Venom - which specifically happens to be a very potent buff after their 1.4 buffs. The combination of 250 damage in one hit, counting for average defense in Master Mode, and several seconds of Venom tallying up to 96 additional damage regardless of defense, allows them to take out three quarters of the player’s health pool in a single strike.

-Ability. I get why they were given the ability to spit webs - to compare them to Black Recluses, but this attack in particular is completely unfair given the circumstances. The UG jungle is filled with Hornets which can snipe you easily if you aren’t constantly moving, and Tortoises that hit like a missile and require precautions to keep from rocking themselves. The Creepers themselves also hit incredibly hard as I already established. All this combined, and getting shot by Web Spit during your travels is a death sentence.

I would personally do one of two things to nerf them:
1) make them frailer and keep the web spit, allowing them to paralyze the player in dangerous situations but not realistically being able to kill the player on their own otherwise. This would make them an interesting enemy that the player still has to be cautious around, while also not being completely too strong.
2) Remove the web spit ability, and keep their other stats where they are. Then, they can be a hard hitter found in the Underground Jungle that can tank hits and cut out huge swathes of player HP, but not being too mobile or having the advantage Web Spit gives to their melee potency. I’d prefer this as it’s more thematically accurate to the Underground Jungle than a web spitter.

Again, sorry for being an :red: about them earlier, and please consider looking into a nerf for them. Thank you
I think those are valid arguments, I would support 2 particulary, since it makes most sense and is probably the most infuriating ability to get caught in.

However I will say that I haven't actually had any trouble with them, evem with a few hours of hardmode jungle exploration on expert, wearing obsidian armor of all things, they aren't particullary hard to avoid and seem to be very much in line with other jungle monsters. Remember, hardmode jungle is full of really challenging and annoying enemies that can each easly end your life on their own. I could easly see Jungle Creepers as being one more of these enemies that everyone jokes about that are too strong, such as tortoises and trappers, and I think most people would be fine if those changes weren't so recent. Again, I do support toning ot down a little bit, but I do so as much as I did say that for a tortoise.

I've read most of this thread and I want to say something about King Slime and the Slime Staff.

Why King Slime doesn't drop the Slime Staff when Queen Slime drops the Blade Staff? This can make it for another weapon in Early-Game for Summoners that is not behind the luck. And well, QS drops are Hardmode versions of KS drops, and the Slime Staff can fit very well for a third Summon in Early-Game that you can use normally instead of farming Slime Statues or something else.

Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster in this thread. I have two minor suggestions, I hope they don't come off as too nitpicky.

- I think the achievement "The Frequent Flyer" should be changed to accomodate the nurse's higher healing costs. It made sense pre 1.4 where healing cost about 2-3 silver but now even a single heal can cost more than 1 gold in hardmode so reaching the required amount becomes trivial. I think it should be changed to 1 platinum instead.

- This thread brought to my attention the fact that the fruit salad item lacks a tooltip. This might be intentional, but considering that every other food item has a unique tooltip leads me to believe it could've been an oversight.

Last edited:
Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster in this thread. I have two minor suggestions, I hope they don't come of as too nitpicky.

- I think the achievement "The Frequent Flyer" should be changed to accomodate the nurse's higher healing costs. It made sense pre 1.4 where healing cost about 2-3 silver but now even a single heal can cost more than 1 gold in hardmode so reaching the required amount becomes trivial. I think it should be changed to 1 platinum instead.

- This thread brought to my attention the fact that the fruit salad item lacks a tooltip. This might be intentional, but considering that every other food item has a unique tooltip leads me to believe it could've been an oversight.
Good points, but I guess not really related to balance
A lot of things here are not, for some reason, it's fine, just be aware of that.

I've read most of this thread and I want to say something about King Slime and the Slime Staff.

Why King Slime doesn't drop the Slime Staff when Queen Slime drops the Blade Staff? This can make it for another weapon in Early-Game for Summoners that is not behind the luck. And well, QS drops are Hardmode versions of KS drops, and the Slime Staff can fit very well for a third Summon in Early-Game that you can use normally instead of farming Slime Statues or something else.
Although it would make the bosses' loot pools more symmetrical, I don't think it's needed now that we've got the finch and flinx. Secondly, and this is just my personal opinion, I like its current state as more of a collectors item rather than an item that fits the progression of the game.

Tbh I never liked the increased Nurse prices in 1.4, since it didn't make sense why they would go up as you progress and there is no in-game explanation for it. I think a better and more elegant solution would be to have cost increase exponentially based on the amount of damage being healed. Since your HP, and therefore the amount of damage you can get healed for, increases as you progress in the game, this would accomplish the same thing while being more intuitive. It would also mean the Nurse no longer has an excuse to scam you for debuff removal in lategame, lol.

If we are out of items territory, then I have a few other complaints...
Gastopods, Eyezors and Martian Walkers. 3 types of enemies which can easily noscope player.
Especially, Gastopods and Walkers. Gastopods can noscope player from like 2 screen away from him. And if you are not moving vertically, it would be very likely for you to be hurt. This was especially noticeable during Master mode Empress of Light boss fight.
Maybe they might receive some kind of shooting distance nerf? They are noscoping from wayyy too far distance, as for me.
Martian Walkers are a bit different story. When I was fighting Master mode Martian Invasion as summoner, I had a situation where I got spawnkilled by them a few times. Gladly I had Rod of Discord so I was able to teleport to safer place. Walkers are not shooting from afar like previous, but leave player quite small chance to survive in a very short distance. Maybe something to do with their shooting rate?
Also, out of this topic but still... Why boss fights are still not restricting any hostile mobs from spawning during that fight? And yes, I know about all Calming effects of Terraria (Calming pot, Sunflowers and Peace Candles). Still, not a perfect solution. It was just stupid how much times I died during Daytime Master Empress of Light because of stupid mobs spawn. Just because some pixies or Unicorn stood in my way.

Last edited:
Why boss fights are still not restricting any hostile mobs from spawning during that fight? And yes, I know about all Calming effects of Terraria (Calming pot, Sunflowers and Peace Candles). Still, not perfect solution. It was just stupid how much times I died during Daytime Master Empress of Light because of stupid mobs spawn. just because some pixies or Unicorn stood in my way.
This absolutely needs a change and it's been an issue for ages. I remember my first time fighting the Twins and doing pretty well only to die from a random werewolf out of nowhere.

You must be sick of hearing about this, @Leinfors, but I'd be grateful to know the shortcomings of my proposed changes to those two vanity set recipes. I apologize for bringing this up yet again; I wrote a reply to your original response some posts back but it may have gotten buried. I've already argued why I think the change would be an improvement (and it seems to me to be a fairly simple change) so I'd just like to know your exact thoughts on it, especially since you've already stated that current crafting recipes were messy and not ideal. Is it just too marginal a thing for this thread? Or do you just think it’s a superfluous and unnecessary change, and that one of the sets always requiring an artificial biome isn’t that big a deal?
ResultIngredientsCrafting station
Timeless Traveler’s HoodSilk (10)
Bone (10)
Loom
Timeless Traveler’s CloakSilk (20)
Tattered Cloth (10)
Black Dye (1)
Loom
Timeless Traveler’s FootwearSilk (20)
Tattered Cloth (10)
Black Dye (1)
Loom
Plaguebringer’s Skull
Vile Powder (10)
Bone (10)
Vicious Powder (10)
Bone (10)
Loom
Plaguebringer’s Cloak
Silk (20)
Vile Powder (10)
Black Dye (1)
Silk (20)
Vicious Powder (10)
Black Dye (1)
Loom
Plaguebringer’s Treads
Silk (20)
Vile Powder (10)
Black Dye (1)
Silk (20)
Vicious Powder (10)
Black Dye (1)
Loom
Also, in regards to the crafting recipes for Plaguebringer and Timeless Traveller: As you said earlier in this thread, one of the core considerations was that all the contest-winning vanities should be readily available pre-Hardmode. But the current recipes for these two vanities lock you out of one of them until you create an artificial evil biome – a major hoop to jump through in pre-Hardmode just for a vanity. This seems to me run to counter to the spirit of the vanities being meant to be readily available pre-Hardmode. You should be able to choose which one you craft without being limited by the world's evil biome. It also makes no sense that the Plaguebringer set should be associated with the Crimson when it has what are clearly cursed flames emerging from it – the Wiki even remarks on this.

I don't think my proposal would be a difficult change to implement, nor a particularly problematic one, and I hope you'll at least consider it for the list of proposals. I apologize for being a pedant; I just want to help improve the game in any way I can.

Also, thank you for looking at my further suggestions for enemy immunities.
Sorry if I wasted your time; I do have a tendency to get hung up on minor details like this. I often become paranoid that my arguments have been misunderstood or just buried in the other responses. I know you already gave a semi-verdict on this; I’d just like to know what you think of my argument for why the crafting recipes should be changed. Is the most important criteria only that the sets be available pre-Hardmode, even if you have to build a pre-Hardmode artificial biome for one of them?

Last edited:
Obsidian Armor is broken. It can be obtained before Bee Armor, and completely outclasses it. It's even arguably better than most Hardmode summoner sets, only being surpassed by Spooky and Stardust.

My suggestion? Nerf Obsidian Armor's damage bonus, and/or give a couple buffs to the Hardmode summoner sets.

Obsidian Armor is broken. It can be obtained before Bee Armor, and completely outclasses it. It's even arguably better than most Hardmode summoner sets, only being surpassed by Spooky and Stardust.

My suggestion? Nerf Obsidian Armor's damage bonus, and/or give a couple buffs to the Hardmode summoner sets.
It's bothered me for a while that hellstone equipment is higher tier than bee. It's all accessible before you can defeat Queen Bee (and not really hard to mine). But I doubt it's reasonable to retier all of it at this stage, given that, Obsidian armour should be stronger than Bee armour. Though it still needs a small nerf as it competes with or outclasses spider armour (depending on who you ask).

PS. I'm considering Obsidian armour in the same tier as hellstone as it requires the hellforge to craft as of 1.4.1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom