Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
... Long story short, I think you should give all weapons autoswing. ...
Your suggestion was rejected earlier in the thread.
Now, if the question is "autofire for everything", that is a hard no because this is how Red made it. We might not have designed the game around lack of autoswing in the first place, knowing what we know, but its too ingrained in the current balance of the game and how much of it was designed to just be arbitrarily changed right now.
I know it is a long and messy thread to look through, but please search if you can. In this case you could search for the keyword "autoswing" and at least read the dev posts that mentioned it.

Hi Leinfors - Just discovered this thread, thanks for taking time for feedbacks. Is it possible for the town range detection range to be reduced pre 1.4.1? Current all my NPCs are mad at people who are off screen, living in another biome, 5 stories upward from where they are. I want more freedom to build, not less. So what are your opinions on this issue?

I understand this isn't item related, but I feel the need to point out that Nebula Floaters are still the single worst enemy in the game. Playing a slot machine with a randomly telefragging, randomly lasering, very beefy enemy that two-shots you is the opposite of fun. And balance.

Hi Leinfors - Just discovered this thread, thanks for taking time for feedbacks. Is it possible for the town range detection range to be reduced pre 1.4.1? Current all my NPCs are mad at people who are off screen, living in another biome, 5 stories upward from where they are. I want more freedom to build, not less. So what are your opinions on this issue?

Leinfors said something about this being changed (range reduced) or reverted to the way it was before 1.4.1 in next patch.
I silently hope its the latter..

Hello. I almost exclusively play Mobile pre-hardmode, which means I don't have to worry about autoswing. Autoswing is one of those weird things that makes a big difference in Desktop/laptop/console and is completely negligible in Mobile. With that in mind, I actually found almost no problems. Almost all the swords with autoswing have some other unique feature, such as increased crit chance for the katana or increased knockback for the slap hand. As I said, I don't really play hardmode, as in the last time I did hardmode was several years ago when the Mobile version was its own animal and has since received several major balancing updates. However, I do know that once you get the mechanical glove, which (I think) is an early hardmode item, autoswing becomes negligible. That means that I don't have to worry about a hardmode item that only benefits from autoswing, as you could just don the mechanical glove and ignore it, and any of those items are a problem already. Long story short, I think you should give all weapons autoswing. This is more of an annoyance than a major gameplay issue anyways, and it's not like there are many weapons that's sole existance is based on autoswing, otherwise, DR probably would have never re-added it. Thanks!
Edit: Other types of weapons (ranged, flail, etc.) require more precision and less stabby stabby, so I'm fine with full autoswing only applying to swords and whips
The Feral Claws already give autoswing to all melee weapons and whips in the PC version.

Can shadow armor get a buff? It's always been a worse version of molten, and molten got buffed!
Melee speed only really buffs the worst weapon types, and its set bonus is basicly useless by the time you get it.
Not only that but its crimson world variant actually has a niche thanks to its decent regeneration bonus, although a little overrated it is still useful and a decent side grade to molten.

And if you're concerned about the implication this would have with ancient shadow armor potentially being pre boss, well... that's ancient shadow armor's problem. I'd much rather have ancient shadow armor obtained the same way as ancient hallowed armor so that shadow armor can actually be good.

On the topic of armors, I still want to see Ancient Hallowed Armor retrieve its pre-1.4 set bonus. At first, I thought it was nifty that they kept the old designs as an optional thing, but then I realized, "Wait, it's still the same new stats."
That melee speed bonus on the old Hallowed Mask set was really nice to have. Sad to see it's gone.

Set bonuses aren't arbitrary. There's a reason for every change. If Ancient Hallowed armor got its old set bonus back, then people would just complain that it's now inferior to its normal counterpart.

Isn't that the point though? Evil armor is suppose to be a tier below the 3 prehardmode class armors.
It also is kinda obtainable pre-bosses since ancient shadow armor drops from eater of souls and has the same stats, and eater of souls are really easy to afk farm.

Isn't that the point though? Evil armor is suppose to be a tier below the 3 prehardmode class armors.
no? Crimson armor is its alternative and manages to find a niche, and sure molten armor technically comes later in progression but the time between shadow and when you can get molten is very small.

Regardless of how it relates to molten its set bonus is still useless.

It also is kinda obtainable pre-bosses since ancient shadow armor drops from eater of souls and has the same stats, and eater of souls are really easy to afk farm.
I addressed that in my post, I don't like the way ancient shadow armor works I wish it was obtained the same way as ancient hallowed armor (crafted at demon altar). It would make it more reliable to obtain and would allow shadow armor itself to actually be good without risking Ancient being op.

I addressed that in my post, I don't like the way ancient shadow armor works I wish it was obtained the same way as ancient hallowed armor (crafted at demon altar). It would make it more reliable to obtain and would allow shadow armor itself to actually be good without risking Ancient being op.
Oops, I missed all of your post except the snip @Ilmarinen quoted, sorry about that. But yes, ancient shadow armor definitely should be moved to post EoW, it's much to powerful for how easy it is to get.

Oops, I missed all of your post except the snip @Ilmarinen quoted, sorry about that. But yes, ancient shadow armor definitely should be moved to post EoW, it's much to powerful for how easy it is to get.
I don't even think its that good for a pre boss armor, it has good defense but the melee speed and movement speed aren't that helpful. I guess if you get it before you find hermes boots the movement speed can be ok.

Is there a good reason that the hornet staff couldn't be crafted from jungle materials rather than Queen Bee drops? It's not a bee weapon, they're hornets, a jungle mob that drops a crafting material. If it was accessible at that stage the hornets might actually get some use.

(Pipe dream idea that I know is impossible) a far more fitting summon weapon to craft from QB drops would be a bee hive sentry weapon

Last edited:
Is there a good reason that the hornet staff couldn't be crafted from jungle materials rather than Queen Bee drops? It's not a bee weapon, they're hornets, a jungle mob that drops a crafting material. If it was accessible at that stage the hornets might actually get some use.

(Pipe dream idea that I know is impossible) a far more fitting summon weapon to craft from QB drops would be a bee hive sentry weapon

A Bee Hive sentry that periodically spawns bees which are affected by the Hive Pack... that’s a Sentry User’s dream right there. Also fun as it relates to the Dryad in Dungeon Defenders who summons Bee Hives.

But I doubt they will add new items any time soon. Best hope for a mod to add this.

I saw the Brain of Confusion nerf and it kinda got me thinking - was such a strong nerf to the crit chance really warranted?

According to the wiki, the Worm Scarf's effect is additive, meaning it combines with other additive DR (Damage Reduction) effects, which include such widely used things as the Frozen Shell/Shield, Endurance Potion, and Solar Flare Armor (with some other lower tier armors as well, like Turtle, but let's assume the average endgame loadout for now).

Additive reduction below the 1.0 (or 100%) value scales higher than multiplicative, meaning that on average the Worm Scarf should outperform the Brain of Confusion's static dodge value (which can be considered multiplicative) when combined with more additive DR boosts.

Add to this that the scarf is less of a gamble (or rather not a gamble at all) and synergizes with on-hit items better (some of which can actually be relevant, like the magic cuffs or the new star cloak and it's tinkers), while the brain's crit buff acts as an internal cooldown (meaning it's possible to take hits that have a 0% possibility to be dodged by the brain), and I feel like the the brain only managed to stay competetive due to it's decent extra effects.

I was of an opinion that people were overreacting (sometimes even having the audacity to claim it's objectively superior) to the brain's power over the scarf even back when it still had it's 20% crit buff, but now I'm kinda doubting whether the current brain is even a worthy sidegrade anymore. Yes, we do also have the confusion effect, but is it really that good? In my experience the confusion effect from the brain was sort of okay on rare early-game occasions and fell flat from hardmode onwards, especially since it's an item available at Expert and higher where it's really not adviseable to take frequent hits to roll for such a mild effect, *especially* when it comes to non-boss enemies which are the ones actually vulnerable to the debuff.

I mean, yeah, it's an item obtainable from one of the earliest and easiest bosses of the game, but both the brain and the scarf do kinda scale all the way into lategame.

I'd personally love if the internal cooldown got removed, but if something so drastic is out of question, maybe give it at least some crit back?

Last edited:
I saw the Brain of Confusion nerf and it kinda got me thinking - was such a strong nerf to the crit chance really warranted?

According to the wiki, the Worm Scarf's effect is additive, meaning it combines with other additive DR (Damage Reduction) effects, which include such widely used things as the Frozen Shell/Shield, Endurance Potion, and Solar Flare Armor (with some other lower tier armors as well, like Turtle, but let's assume the average endgame loadout for now).

Additive reduction below the 1.0 (or 100%) value scales higher than multiplicative, meaning that on average the Worm Scarf should outperform the Brain of Confusion's static dodge value (which can be considered multiplicative) when combined with more additive DR boosts.

Add to this that the scarf is less of a gamble (or rather not a gamble at all) and synergizes with on-hit items better (some of which can actually be relevant, like the magic cuffs or the new star cloak and it's tinkers), while the brain's crit buff acts as an internal cooldown (meaning it's possible to take hits that have a 0% possibility to be dodged by the brain), and I feel like the the brain only managed to stay competetive due to it's decent extra effects.

I was of an opinion that people were overreacting (sometimes even having the audacity to claim it's objectively superior) to the brain's power over the scarf even back when it still had it's 20% crit buff, but now I'm kinda doubting whether the current brain is even a worthy sidegrade anymore. Yes, we do also have the confusion effect, but is it really that good? In my experience the confusion effect from the brain was sort of okay on rare early-game occasions and fell flat from hardmode onwards, especially since it's an item available at Expert and higher where it's really not adviseable to take frequent hits for to roll for such a mild effect, *especially* when it comes to non-boss enemies which are the ones actually vulnerable to the debuff.

I mean, yeah, it's an item obtainable from one of the earliest and easiest bosses of the game, but both the brain and the scarf do kinda scale all the way into lategame.

I'd personally love if the internal cooldown got removed, but if something so drastic is out of question, maybe give it at least some crit back?
Uhhh, I think you undermine the main selling point, the 1/6 dodge chance. Without the confusion debuff and the crit chance, I would still use the accessory just for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom