Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some simple buffs.

-Give ore shortswords autoswing, the short range is awkward enough make these a bit more user friendly.
-Make early game ore broadswords a bit bigger, right now armed zombies can wack you from beyond the swords' ranges.
-Gladius should gain autoswing and increase its knockback to be on the same level as the ore shortswords. This is currently the most unsafe weapon to use in the game.
-Thunder zapper needs more dps, this thing has worse dps than the snowball cannon while also being much harder to obtain. Double the damage!
-Storm spear could also use a damage buff, maybe to like maybe from 12->17.
-Remove use turn from katana, and reduce the use animation from 22->16(swings faster). It's a rare weapon that's outclassed by the common ice blade.
-Give harpoon local immunity, the most annoying thing about harpoon is that if you get too close iFrames from the previus attack can cause the next attack to miss at point blank range.
-Dark lance needs a buff it's by far the weakest shadow chest weapon... not sure what exactly.

-Ok so there's a lot of hardmode swords that are bad and it might take a lot of work fixing them all so let's stick with the sword's that are suppose to be awesome.
-phasesabers are just straight up weaker than the adamantite sword, less dps and even worse than that they have use turn, which makes them a lot riskier to use. Remove use turn at the very least, reduce thier use animation from 20->15. Increase damage from 42->50.
-Cutlass has the same use turn curse, remove use turn from it, and increase the damage 49->60
-These stat buffs will make them a little stronger than current excalibur so excailbur could also get a buff, increase its damage to 70 and reduce use animation to 16, basicly the same stats as true excalibur but without the beam.

-Increase flamethrower's base damage from 35->50, Hallowed repeater has better dps, range, and pierce than this thing.
-increase magical harp's knockback to 5, this looks like it's supposed to be a hardmode water bolt, but what makes water bolt so good is its knockback magical harp meanwhile has effectively no knockback to work with.
-Light disc damage increase to 70. Since this weapon can't get modifers it's missing out on 15% damage that most other weapons get, on top of being on somewhat the weak side of base dps anyway.

-Change the damage type on shroomite helmet from 'rockets' to 'miscelanous ranged' there's a few ranged weapons right now that don't benifit from any of the shroomite head pieces and they're all on the weak side.
-Elf melter... completely outclassed by stake launcher right now, if it had say 120 base damage it will have a bit more dps than stake launcher at the cost of reduced range.

-Bat scepter bats could use an extra update, razopine has like twice the dps of this thing the only advantage bat scepter has is the homing. The bats are too slow to deal with fast enemies (the sorts of things people use homing weapons for).
-For the same reasons as bat scepter flairon could benefit from getting its homing bubble an extra update.

Last edited:
Great to see this thread open again. Small QoL and balance changes can be so impactful!

The changes I am about to suggest might be a bit of a stretch to implement but I'll list them anyways.

There are a lot of rare items that can only be found via spelunking, whether that be rare furniture like paintings/sets or certain rare chest loot. We do have seeds now, but even with seeds, I feel that some of these items are just too rare currently and could either be made more common or be given new ways to obtain them.

When it comes to chest loot, a few (mostly vanity) items come to mind that could perhaps use a buff in spawn chance. I'm mainly referring to vanity minecarts. I feel that the demonic hellcart, and bee minecart are fine as they are, considering those chests are fairly common and the drop rate is good. (Please make the treasure magnet a 1/7 drop rate though like the other main items, its definitely harder to find other shadow chest loot since that item was added).

However, I feel that the sunflower and ladybug minecarts could be more common. Living trees are more common now, but living wood chests aren't guaranteed in a tree, and even then, its only a 10% chance to get one of those. I think the drop rate should be upped to at least 1/5. Either that or make them a ~5% drop from wooden crates or something. Maybe even have the mechanic sell them when behind natural living wood walls. (she already sells powered tracks, why not) For these being vanity items, I don't really understand why they are so rare.

Other chest loot that I feel could be made easier to get includes the desert minecart, encumbering stone, mushroom set and shroom minecart. Regarding the first two, either increase their drop rates or make them obtainable from oasis/mirage crates with a small chance. Regarding the mushroom items, perhaps make mushroom houses a bit more common, maybe even at least 1 guaranteed per biome. The chances to find those items are fine, its just that the houses are kind of rare in my experience.

Speaking of houses, I also wanted to touch on paintings. Most paintings are fairly easy to obtain, but there are many that can only be found through world gen, and I think there should be easier/alternate ways to find them.

Regarding underworld and dungeon paintings, these aren't as hard to find as cabin paintings, but perhaps moving the painter into these respective biomes could allow him to sell these paintings, maybe on a moon phase cycle. (I know this brings up another issue because the painter sells so many items) You could also add these paintings, and perhaps even obsidian and dungeon furniture to the respective crates, considering that obsidian crates already have furniture in the loot table, this could work. Maybe just have the furniture be in a separate loot table in that case.

The paintings that I have the biggest issue with are cabin paintings. Most of them are so rare you are lucky to even find one in an entire large world. I have a few suggestions.

First off, probably the hardest to implement, but make paintings be visible with spelunker potions. I doubt this would be implemented, that's why I'm getting it out of the way first.

Other suggestions I have include making houses much more common (compensate by making chests found outside of houses less common), make them obtainable from crates (oasis/mirage for desert cabin, gold/iron crates for regular cabin). Once again, perhaps the painter or another NPC could sell these under specific conditions.

Even if none of these changes are implemented, at the very least, I'd like to see Waldo be made more common. Searching multiple large worlds for just a small chance to find a single painting isn't that fun in my opinion. Maybe make him a 5% chance to spawn out of the 2x3 paintings, instead of 1%.

Regarding NPCs selling some of these furniture/chest loot items, as many of these NPCs have really full inventories already, perhaps there could be pages added to the NPC UI (I doubt this would make it into this update, would be cool to see nonetheless)

As someone who spends a lot of time caving and looting worlds, I would be thrilled to see even just one of these changes implemented. I'm just glad we are getting more balance changes at the end of the day! Lots of great stuff in this thread already!

if we could see armor changes I’d like to see
Classless Shadow armor, giving 2% crit on each piece and gives a dodge or more acceleration on the set bonus or something so it’s useful
Melee Gladiator armor, simple stats like 5% melee damage, 10% melee speed, and 5% melee crit or something
Snow armor getting some small niche and being a little bit more common
Ultrabright Helmet being able to be crafted at an anvil rather than a Tinkerers Workshop(SUPER QoL change because I had an idea for an armor set)

Now some other non armor ideas
Frostbrand shoots a Frost bolt more often(like every 30 ticks or every 40 ticks)
Beam Sword shoots a beam more often(every 40 ticks or something, 60 is WAY too high for a weapon called BEAM Sword)

Last edited:
Here's my suggestions to QoL changes:

Boss Health Bar and Player Stats UI
* Add Current Health/Max Health display on Boss bars, and Health & Mana stats display on Fancy/Bars style.
It's always better to have a direct view on numeric stats, instead of a plain, colored bar.

Slice of Cake
* Increase the Sugar Rush buff's duration from 2 minutes to 10 minutes.
Since it provides mining speed, the buff has to be reactivated frequently, which is annoying when using it to assist digging. Changing the duration will ease up the issue, and makes it consistent with other buff funitures.

Plantera's Bulb
* Now drops a summon item upon destroying instead of instantly summoning the Boss.
It's always annoying to build arenas for Plantera, as you do not know where her Bulb will spawn. Also, it's the only Boss without a summoning item.

Larva
* Now can only be destroyed with pickaxe/hammer instead of by any projectile.
No longer needs extra caution when near Hives.

Endless Musket Pouch & Endless Quiver
* Now can be used as an alternative to Musket Balls & Wooden Arrows in recipes (i.e. Holy Arrows requires 200 Wooden Arrows, 3 Pixie Dust, and 1 Unicorn Horn, but can now also be crafted with Endless Quiver, 3 Pixie Dust, and 1 Unicorn Horn (The quiver is not consumed of course)).
Now we don't have to buy extra standard ammo to craft other ammos.

Vanity Accessory slots
* Revert changes made in 1.4.0.1, making any accessory can be equipped in them, instead of only appearance-changing ones.
In my opinion, this change is understandable, but it is the worst change made in 1.4.0.1. They were convenient slots for accessory replacement or storage before the 1.4.0.1 update.

Eye Bone (Chester)
* Change related portable storage from Piggy Bank to Safe.
We already have the Money Trough, why do we need another "convenient" Piggy Bank? Among the remaining two portable storages (Safe and Defender Forge) which do not have a "convenient" counterpart, the Safe is more suitable.

Sandstorm
* Now has a status message to note its start.
Sandstorms basically does not have a fixed start time, this will help players get to Desert as soon as the event starts.

Old One's Army
* The Eternia Crystal now has more health and defense in higher difficulties. (World difficulty & event difficulty & secret seed difficulty (FTW))
Though enemies' stats are buffed in higher difficulties, the Crystal's stats are still the same, which makes the event harder.

Pyramid
* Pharaoh's set is now secondary item (can spawn with one of the two accessories together).
Other vanity sets are all secondary items, what makes the Pharaoh's set unique? Also, Pyramids are relatively rare structures, placing cosmetic items as its loot brings disappointment.

Oasis Crate/Mirage Crate
* Now can drop Pyramid chest items. (Sandstorm in a Bottle, Flying Carpet & Pharaoh's set)
Despite the increased spawn chance of Pyramids, it's still very likely that one cannot find their desired item in a single world.

Boss drops
* Bosses/Treasure Bags will not drop duplicate items if an item from its drop list is already in the player's inventory/portable storages.
RNG sometimes makes people annoying. I have seen someone defeated Moon Lord 30 times before getting both swords for crafting the Zenith. Introducing a duplicate protection mechanic will help the player get the desired item faster.

Bestiary
* Reduce the amount of kills needed for full info unlock. (Example: 1,10,25,50 to 1,5,10,20)
Make the bestiary info unlock faster does no harm to anyone, I think.

Critters
* Increase the spawn chance of Water Striders, Pup Fishes, and Turtles.
They just make completing the Bestiary harder. Especially the Water Strider.

Black Spot
* Now can achieve max speed when mounted during dashing.
Since its max speed is already nerfed, why does it's dash still need to be restricted?

Target Dummy
* Add a variant that can be attacked by minions and homed on.
It's hard to test homing weapons and minions on the current Target Dummy.

Rainbow Cursor
* How about making its sprite as the cursor's sprite when equipped?

Last edited:
Here's my advice to QoL changes:

Plantera's Bulb
* Now drops a summon item upon destroying instead of instantly summoning the Boss.
It's always annoying to build arenas for Plantera, as you do not know where her Bulb will spawn. Also, it's the only Boss without a summoning item.

Larva
* Now can only be destroyed with pickaxe/hammer instead of by any projectile.
No longer needs extra caution when near Hives.

Endless Musket Pouch & Endless Quiver
* Now can be used as an alternative to Musket Balls & Wooden Arrows in recipes (i.e. Holy Arrows requires 200 Wooden Arrows, 3 Pixie Dust, and 1 Unicorn Horn, but can now also be crafted with Endless Quiver, 3 Pixie Dust, and 1 Unicorn Horn (The quiver is not consumed of course)).
Now we don't have to buy extra standard ammo to craft other ammos.

Vanity Accessory slots
* Revert changes made in 1.4.0.1, making any accessory can be equipped in them, instead of only appearance-changing ones.
In my opinion, this change is understandable, but it is the worst change made in 1.4.0.1.

Sandstorm
* Now has a status message to note its start.
Sandstorms basically does not have a fixed start time, this will help players get to Desert as soon as the event starts.

Old One's Army
* The Eternia Crystal now has more health and defense in higher difficulties. (World difficulty & event difficulty & secret seed difficulty (FTW))
Though enemies' stats are buffed in higher difficulties, the Crystal's stats are still the same.

Pyramid
* Pharaoh's set is now secondary item (can spawn with one of the two accessories together).
Other vanity sets are all secondary items, what makes the Pharaoh's set unique?

Oasis Crate/Mirage Crate
* Now can drop Pyramid chest items. (Sandstorm in a Bottle, Flying Carpet & Pharaoh's set)
Despite the increased spawn chance of Pyramids, it's still very likely that one cannot find their desired item in one world.

Boss drops
* Bosses/Treasure Bags will not drop duplicate items if an item from its drop list is already in the player's inventory/portable storages.
RNG sometimes makes people annoying. I have seen a player defeated Moon Lord 30 times before getting both swords for crafting the Zenith.
The endless Quiver/Pouch idea here might be the best suggestion in this thread, I really hope that one in particular gets added.
I also love the Plantera's Bulb one, I just hope that ideas requiring new sprites are possible in this last balance patch.

# 1 Finch Staff - in theory, this is Summoner's first weapon (not counting Abigail Flower and Slime Staff), but it may not even appear in the world or appear in the Living Tree by the beach, which doesn't make Summoner's life easier.

I propose that as well as the living wood wand, the Finch Staff have a chance to fall out of shaking trees.
Alternatively, make it craftable at a work bench or a live wood loom as a starting weapon.

# 2 Wand of Sparking - Just like the Finch Staff, this is a starting weapon for the mage class that you may not find at all in the beginning.

As it is clearly a twig, I suggest adding it to the Living Tree's loot pool and, like the Finch Staff, make it fall out of shaking trees.
Alternatively, as a starting weapon, it could be given its own recruitment to be crafted.

# 3. Shield of Cthulhu - this is the only expert accessory assigned to a class, which is very inconvenient to play classes.

Again, I recommend switching damage from Melee to neutral.

# 4. Hive Pack - it is the only expert accessory that is only applicable at a certain stage of the game. Also, it applies to any class except Summoner.

First of all, I suggest extending its operation to Horned Staff and Wasp Staff (both hornets and wasps live in hive, so the name fits).
However, in order to extend its lifespan, I propose to add new passive attack mechanics to it.
After 2 seconds, summon empowered bees that follow the player until they target their enemies and attack.
There can only be five Hive Pack bees at any one time that are following the player. That should add to this utility accessory even into late hardmode, as do the rest of the expert accessories.

# 5 Crystal Assassin armor - let the set bonus add one / two creature slots as well as class neutral armor.

# 6 Chester - keep his inventory separate from the piggy bank.

# 7 Tunder Zapper - a weapon for the mage found in the underground desert. The Underground Desert is the most dangerous biome in the game, yet the Tunder Zapper is weaker than crystal wands.
I don't see any point in placing a weak weapon in the most difficult biome, so please improve it.

# 8 Obsidian Rose - An important part of Terraspark Bots, but extremely rare and hard to obtain.

I propose to increase the chance of a drop from 2% to 5% and 10% in expert and master mode.

# 9 Goblin Tinkerer - drops Spike Ball like other goblins after death. After all, he's the only one using them to fight.

# 10 Stardust Armor - Since it's final armor, it should also affect whips by increasing their size and speed, and turrets (weapons dropping from Moon Lord) by adding one turret slot.

# 11 Tax Collector - it's very easy to get 10 gold coins on hardmode. I recommend that you remove the Tax Collector limit or raise this limit to 10 Platinum. It will take a long time, but at least it will be useful.

Well . . . I didn't think I'd be back here again!

In some exciting news, I've been allocated enough time to do one more batch of balance changes and QoL adjustments to the game! The window for this is considerably shorter than previous overhaul patches, but I'm excited to tie up a few final loose ends, with the help of community feedback to guide me.

This thread is expected to remain open for about 2-3 weeks. I have roughly until the end of the month to finalize my proposals and changes. This means that my timeline for this is rather limited. I have less time to consider, less time to spend on time consuming changes, and less time for approval. As such, I'm going to try to focus on the most benefit I can gain from the simplest changes, rather than extensive reworks, which take much more time and higher level coding skill than I have to offer.

A recap of the ground rules and restrictions I am working with:
1. I'm only one member on a team, and I don't have absolute authority. Even if I'm convinced, all of my changes need to be approved by Redigit, Cenx, and Yoraiz0r to be implemented, so I can't just change what I want. There are changes that I wish to see, which are veto'd above my head, and there is nothing I can do about that. There are gameplay philosophies that Red and other members of the team wish to see, and sometimes, certain changes (while decent in their own right) may conflict with these overarching philosophies. I have to respect the boundaries I am operating under. Please don't take it too hard if I have to deny, or do not respond, to proposals. It isn't personal.
2. This is meant to be a discussion thread, and I'd like to see evidence and convincing arguments in favor of changes. If I'm not convinced, then I'm not going to advocate for changes, but I promise that I am interested in hearing it out . . . I want to make more changes!
3. Evidence and persuasive points win the day here. Number of posts or passion level behind a complaint, absent evidence or strong logic, won't convince me, nor will the number of likes, etc. a post gets. If a change is correct, then making a strong case for it should be easy. :)
4. My focus is primarily items, or simple changes made to things like spawning conditions or stats. It is also very unlikely for me to be able to completely overhaul weapons in the style of the Charged Blaster Cannon or Medusa Head.
5. Please be respectful to other posters here, we're all here to make Terraria a better game, and the best way to have a discussion is if we all get along! :)

And a few caveats, specifically to this round of changes:
1. Within reason, I'm interested in branching out of items somewhat, including some changes to some things like item accessibility, enemies/bosses, and some critter stuff. Items are still the easiest to work with and quantify though! This doesn't mean that I can tackle more complex overhauls, but simply that I'm interested in less item-oriented QoL this time around, in addition to the item changes.
2. My timeline for this is considerably shorter than previous timelines. My finalized changes are expected to be in by the end of the month, with this thread closing sooner than that. As such, I am wary of tackling particularly tangled balance situations that would take a longer time to sort out and analyze. I won't have many, if any, second chances on fixing any missteps here.
2A. Most notably, this applies to the vast number of issues concerning the mid-game Summoner balance. A number of bugs, oversights, and balance mistakes have come together to create a wildly tangled mess of OP gear . . . but removing any single one of them could accidentally cause the class to come crashing back down. My hands are tied here, because if I really, really wanted to work on this, I would likely have to remove/nerf most of these bugs/oversights only to then rebuild the class from the ground up. So I'm going to have to tread carefully here.
3. As my timeline is more significantly limited, so too is my ability to call in more substantial mechanical/code overhauls. Like before, the best candidates for change are things I can do within my own skillset, as Yoraiz0r and Grox are busy with their own tasks, which take strict priority over mine. There is a little wiggle room here, but not much. Stat changes > Overhauls/Reworks.

I'm really excited to see what we can accomplish with this last round of balance adjustments. I already have a small list of considerations I've made already under way, but I'm not going to be posting anything just yet, as none of it has been approved. Looking forward to what you guys have to say!
Well, this just made my day.

I think a really simple change would be increasing the chance of getting a Lava Charm to 10%-15% because the Terraspark Boots are notoriously grindy to get unless you get lucky, and they aren't even all that good (They're good, but any wings that aren't the Fledgling Wings are better than them in most ways).

Last edited:
#12 Putrid Scent - the 5% bonus to damage and the chance of a critical hit should be transferred to accessories made of it. The aggro-diminishing bonus is useless in single-player, and 5% isn't enough to spoil the balance, but makes it more profitable.

#13 Umbrella and Tragic Umbrella - as they are umbrellas, they should neutralize the damage taken by Angry Nimbus.

#14 Leather Whip - The first whip in the game, but it costs quite a lot for an early weapon, which is why many players prefer to go and get the Snapthorn early. I suggest changing the price from 15 to 10 gold coins.

#15 Phasesaber and Phaseblade - they are weak and it cannot be hidden. I propose adding a unique feature, which is deflecting projectiles, or at least deflecting laser projectiles.

#16 Spears - Could have a new right-click attack of spinning the spear around the player, similar to flails, but the spear would spin slower and have two ends (one could deal more damage than the other).

Last edited:
well, given how good 1.4.1's balancing changes were, i didn't expect to be back to this again. but, i do have a pair of things to raise that kinda stand out to me, so here goes!

Hallowed Armor outclasses Chlorophyte, Spectre (offense), and Turtle Armor
i can't comment on ranger or summoner armor, since i don't use those classes, but i know for certain this is an issue for melee and mage.
i don't want to see hallowed nerfed, at least not too hard, but i do want to see the others buffed to compensate. turtle is statistically inferior to hallowed in nearly every way, give it some melee speed already!

Terra Blade is *too* good (and i mostly like it that way)
the last batch of changes basically made the terra blade the best sword in the pre-moon lord phase. i think that's how it should be, but it's still just a post-plantera blade. this can make weapons like the influx waver and flying dragon more or less irrelveant. while i still think the terra blade should be stronger than them, i think it should be moved further back in progression. where exactly, i'm not too sure. maybe move the broken hero sword to the princess's shop menu, and make it available after every pre-lunatic cultist boss is defeated?.. preferably excluding the old one's army. they're too brutal for me. pls
it would be reasonable to raise the concern of moving the terra blade off of mothron's set of drops, making the solar eclipse less valuable, but i think the eye of cthulhu drop is good enough to compensate for the loss personally. plus, having it not compete with the terra blade would make me use it more!

that's basically all i have to offer in terms of my own thoughts, but i agree with the person before who said magical harp would benefit from more knockback. it'd be absolutely lovely. thanks leinfors for reopening the thread, sorry if any of my suggestions are pushing the limitations you're under.

addendum: oh yeah, make the putrid scent tinkers include the scent's stats as well. the lack of the 5% damage carrying over is a huge cut to their viability, especially since they make the reforges cost more! especially for the arcane flower, there's so many better options right now.

Currently I only had one thing that comes in mind and that's that the Chlorophyte Mask got changed to have it's proper use only as set bonus, while the other 2 Chlorophyte Helmets remained unchanged.
I personally liked the Chlorophyte Helmets unique stats that it allows mixing with other armors. Now that only works best with the other 2 helmets (magic for best magic efficiëncy, and ranged for reduced ammo usage)

25 defense on the mask isn't that massive when the Hallowed Mask is just behind with 24.
(Little disclaimer: I havn't used the mask often since then, if it's still good offensive wise, then I guess the nerf was fair)

It appears I said the same thing way earlier in this thread, if it wasn't changed then, then I doubt it'll happen now, so I don't think I need to come back at that.

Seen some pretty good balance suggestions so far, so looking forward what this results into. :)

Last edited:
The extention to previous balance suggestions:
#1.
Buff Scourge of the Corruptor for 10-15%.
This is the exact value of how much Scourge falls behind significantly more accessible Seedler.

#1.2.
Scourge should have offensive specialisation, just like Vampire Knives have a defensive one.
Add a simple buff to Scourge, which increases all player damage by 5-10%.

#3.
Make Rainbow Gun not to interfere with other piercing projectiles.

#4.
Increase Piranha Gun's chasing velocity. It unlatches from fast enemies, like Ice Queens on low health, EoL or charging Duke fishron.

#5.
Increase all numerical stats of Tempest minions (projectile velocity)
#1.
Terra Blade. Was certainly overtuned in 1.4.1 patch. Currently, with Beetle Scale Mail, it outperfoms literally every single post-Golem weapon in events (including Electrosphere Launcher, Tsunami, Eventide and Aerial Bane) by 10%. When compared to it’s direct competitiors, like Seedler, Terra Blade beats it by twice in crowd control and by 20% vs. single target.

Recommended nerfs:
Damage reduced from 115 to 100
Use time increased from 14 to 16 (as it was prior to 1.4.1)
Projectile damage multiplier is reduced from 1.5x to 1.4x

Hardmode Darts.
Introduce new requiement for crafting. They should need HM anvil to be crafted. (now they are crafted by hand)

Ichor Dart. Hits 60 times per second at the point-blank range (when it haven't split yet) , which is pretty disgusting in early-HM. Its synergy with Titanium Armor is so strong, that they kill master Twins in less than 20 seconds. This must be banned.

Crystal and Cursed Darts. Reduce damage of both by 10-20%.
Crystal darts may have their ricochet ability reduced from 6 to 4.
0. Scourge of the Corruptor and Rainbow Gun's immunity
1. S.D.M.G.
Is still slightly inferior to the Last Prism in damage, even with Luminite Bullets and with Vortex Stealth.
The difference is 20% (28 sec. vs. 23 on JMFTW EoL, so with JMFTW Frost moon score).
Suggestions: damage increased from 85 to 100.

2. Last Prism
Add knockback (to make Mythical modifier obtainable).

3. Sky Dragon's Fury
Add knockback to Electrospheres.

4. Bananarangs
Increased drop chance up to 50+%.
Now drop in the quantities of more than 5.

5. Nail Gun.
Now it is only 5-10% better than Stynger, which is absolutely fine. However, it is rare and Nailheads are absolute nightmares to deal with. Realistically speaking, it is a well post-Golem drop.
Suggestions: buff damage from 80 to 100 just to make sure it is a viable option for post-Golem events (to compensate for that rarity, but not more).

6. Raven Staff.
Great minion after 1.4 buffs, but still struggles to keep up with fast characters. Return mode just takes too long.
Suggestion: increase return velocity.

7. Coin Gun.
Gold and Platinum ammo should pierce. 2-3 enemies for Gold and Infinitely for Platinum.

8.Flamarang.
Base damage increased from 32 to 40. Return velocity doubled.

9. Chain Gun.
It is a good idea to increase ammo efficiency and slightly decrease defense reliability.
As the fastest gun in the entire game (3 UT with Rapid modifier) it absolutely devours your ammo. Competing Xenopopper from Martian Madness event doesn't have such issues and has 15% higher real DPS, thanks to higher base damage. Additionally, since its best modifier is Rapid, it doesn't recieve 15% damage bonus from Unreal, like Xenopopper.
Suggestions: chance not to comsume ammo buffed from 50% to 75%. Base damage increased from 31 to 34.

10. Terrarian.
It's unique projectiles do not add to the total DPS. Yes, thats just like that. Everything hits 6 times per second.
Suggestions: Make projectiles non-piercing (the yoyo itself already pierces). Projectiles now deal only 50% of base damage to compensate.

11. Solar Eruption.
Being hyped as the best pillar weapon for years, it didn't age really well. ML wall cheese is dead in 1.4, Starlight with Terra Blade beat Solar Eruption at a point blank range.
From the "safe" range, when you hit with the tip of the spear, you have... 1500 DPS. Terra Blade has no range issues and deals 2500. (2000 assuming likely upcomoing nerf).
Range makes is a poor event choice. Influx Waver ad Terra blade beat it in moon events by more than 30%! Even Seedler + Rainbow gun are pretty much equal.
Suggestions: point-blank damage buffed by 25%, DPS falloff with range is less strict.
Debuff is stronger: an increase from 25 to 50 per tick.

12. Flairon.
Buff bubble lifetime and velocity by much. TRAE project mod did exactly that and it works wonderfully (alongside with new flail mechanics)
Simpler suggestions: velocity is tripled, projectiles can now bounce and have increased life time.

13. Possessed Hatchet.
It has lowly 380 base dps, compared to Heat Ray's 480 (+ Spectre mask bonus) and Tactical Shotgun's + Chlorophyte 420 DPS. Otherwise Hatchet is a very good weapon for bossing.
Suggestion: damage increased from 80 to 110, to make its base DPS equal to 500.

14. Star Wrath.
It should act like Lunar Flare in terms of block pierce. Projectiles should not pierce enemies (or should, but not with global immunity). Stars fall vertically, so they rarely hit more than one enemy.
Suggestions: remove i-frames from stars, make then fall through blocks

14.5. Meowmere.
Change projectile immunity type, as with Star Wrath.

15.Spirit Flame.
An exceptionally rare weapon to obtain, which still shows itself slightly worse than Crystal Serpent or Sky Fracture. Flames are the key reason, they get destroyed in confined spaces and can't chase Twins and QS reliably.
Suggestions: Buff homing velocity by a bit, make flames travel through blocks.

16.Shadowbeam Staff.
These changes are designed to make Shadowbeam Staff more viable on single enemies, while not hurting its CC potential.
Suggestions: greatly increase base damage (from 60 to 100), but heavily penaltise piercing (e.g. 30% of diminishing returns for each bounce/pierce).
If possible, make it smart-bounce.

17. Spectre Staff and Inferno Fork.
Add block penetration, like that of enemy variants of these weapons.
Add autofire to Inferno fork and buff velocity of fireballs.

18. Magnet Sphere.
It is not worth switching to it in its current state...
Key reasons: detection range, slightly low-ish DPS, projectile life time and the fact that it is destroyed by blocks.
Suggestions: Fire rate cooldown is reduced from 9 to 7. Range is doubled, Sphere Lifetime is doubled too, Sphere can’t be destroyed by blocks (or may even bounce from walls).

19. Meteor Staff.
Currently has an outrageous mana consumption of 78 m/s. For comparison, Last Prism with focused beam has 72 m/s.
Suggestions: mana cost reduced from 12 to 4 (per each cast). Sounds as a huge buff, but on practice, this is exactly what we need.
Or: Mana cost is reduced down to 8, but damage is buffed from 50 to 60-65.

20. Quad-Barrel Shotgun.
Was overnerfed in 1.4.1.
On practice, 2 extra bullets per shot never hit their target, and snail use time makes it painful to use in general. Total DPS is not high either. It kills WoF (meteor shot) slower than all 3 bows and Phoenix Blaster.
Suggestions: now shoots 4 bullets per shot instead of 6, but with less spread.
Use time buffed from 55 to 40.
Damage increased from 17 to 20.

21. The Undertaker.
Is so much inferior to Musket.
About half as less DPS and has no autofire.
Suggestions: Now autofires.
Damage buffed from 15 to 20. Use time is now 18 instead of 23.

22. Chain Guillotines.
In their current state they are outclassed by all yoyos and especially Flying Knife or Life Drain in mobbing, and by Crystal Serpent and Sky Fracture in bossing. Partially due to small range, but lack of DPS drags the weapon down too.
Suggestions: Range increased by 30%. Damage buffed from 59 to 75.

23. Gladius.
You may not believe, but it is worse than gold and platinum shortswords in all respects. Lack of KB can’t keep enemies at bay, and damage is equal to that of silver shortsword.
Suggestions: KB increased from 0.5 to 3 or more.
Damage increased from 15 to 20.
Use time buffed from 21 to 15.
Drop rate is doubled (optional).
Uhh, thank you for your attention if you walked through even half of this...
Accessories and armor suggestions will be soon (and possibly some more weapons)

Oh boy, another balance patch? This is the best late Christmas present I could have asked for.

I'm going to keep my suggestions simple, and divide them based on level of priority that I think they deserve:

High Priority

Obsidian Armor: Whip range bonus 50% -> 20%, whip speed bonus 35% -> 20%, summon damage set bonus 15% -> 8%
It's just too powerful even after its original nerf. It probably deserves even bigger nerfs than this but I think anything more would be too difficult to balance.

Hallowed Armor: Holy Protection cooldown 30s -> 60s
One guaranteed dodge every minute is still pretty crazy. Most boss fights last for 1-2 minutes if you're adequately geared so you're still negating 2-3 hits per fight on average, which is really good.

Lunar Portal Staff: Damage 50 -> 80, beam sweep speed increased ~50%
Right now it's just a worse version of the Rainbow Crystal Staff, since its rapid hits don't make up for its low damage and it's actually less accurate due to its slow sweep. The beam accuracy is the most important thing to balance, then it may not need as much of a damage buff.

Luminite Wings: Remove Luminite Bars from recipe
In expert and master mode the Celestial Starboard makes these wings literally, actually useless. In any mode, having them for the Moon Lord fight would help a lot without making the fight too easy at all. Especially if...

Moon Lord: Increase chasing velocity ~100%
Moon Lord is too slow. Most strategies nowadays depend on outrunning his attacks and shooting backward at him, which is not good or interesting boss design. He should be faster so that you can't just outrun all his attacks and have to actually dodge. If paired with making "Luminite" wings accessible before his fight, this would make his fight a lot more interesting and fun.

As an alternative to increasing Moon Lord's speed, he could also just close all his eyes when there are no players within range, but I don't know if that would be any easier to implement.

Mid Priority

Elf Melter: Damage 60 -> 100
It's SO weak right now. It's so bad that it's outclassed by equipment from like 2 tiers before.

Spore Sac: Spores can generate in midair
Unsure how simple this would actually be to implement, so if it turns out too complex then increasing the spores' tracking velocity would also be fine.

Starlight: Beam length +50%
Its range is the only thing really holding it back. Fix that and it'll finally be on par with Empress' other drops.

Low Priority

Luminite Armors: Solar Flare Armor speed bonus 15% -> 30%, Vortex/Nebula Armor speed bonus 10% -> 20%, Stardust Armor speed bonus 0% -> 20%
I just really wanna go fast. But more importantly these armors should at least be able to keep up with the Tavernkeep's armors. Since it's endgame anyway there's no reason you shouldn't be able to go fast.

Stardust Armor: Guardian draws aggro while attacking
Don't know how easy this would be to implement. But I think it would be really nice if the Stardust Guardian's current and previous incarnations could have their abilities combined, such that the Guardian both does damage on his own and draws aggro from enemies while in attack mode. Since he can't go too far from you anymore, this would still be of limited value, but it would help make Stardust Armor's 38 defense a bit more tolerable.

Invisibility Potion: Why does it get canceled when you take damage
No seriously, why does it?

List from my server, reposted here for more discussion

Make Hero Shield require and inherit Cobalt Shield instead of Paladin's Shield
In its current state Hero Shield either outclasses or is outclassed by Frozen Shield no matter what changes are done to it, so its only niche is being a big 10 defense increase for max facetanking builds. With this change, it can exist as a cheaper alternative to Ankh Shield, giving it a much broader niche Number 2:

Make Bone Javelins deal melee damage, make them a non-consumable but more expensive item Melee could use a ranged weapon at this stage, ranger doesn't need more.
As for Bone Javelin not feeling like a melee weapon? Daybreak is literally a direct upgrade of it, and nobody thinks that should be ranged, so i think we are fine here.

Number 3: Sanguine staff now inflicts as many immunity frames as duration left in its attack cycle; Blade staff fixed AP bug and attack speed reduced by 33%
The big two of the summoner class. Sanguine specifically is very centralizing since it's literally free to have in any build, so it must be toned down.

Number 4: Arcane Flower increases magic damage and critical strike chance by 5%
The mana flower is an item outclassed by literally a hotkey. It is not, in fact, a must have for magic class and instead just an underpowered item. Putrid Scent's bonuses would make it a far more desirable item; losing some damage compared to Sorcerer Emblem but gaining some mana cost reduction and QoL.

Number 5: Obsidian Armor nerfed from +50% range and +35% speed to +30% range and +15% speed
this armor is busted

Number 6: Holy protection changed to reduce damage in half instead of negating it entirely
Simplest nerf that doesnt change its functionality much but makes it far more balanced.

Number 7: Whips Leather whip knockback increased from 0.5 to 2.5, tag from +4 to +5 Cool Whip now has 8 tag damage Morning Star increased tag from +5/5% to +10/+10%
Simple buffs to the only underpowered whips.

Number 8: Pulse Bow is now craftable with Shroomite bars.
Pulse bow is one of the coolest weapons in the game... and by far one of the hardest to even get to use in a run, due to Post Plantera's short duration before getting to Post Golem and Travelling Merchant RNG.

Making it craftable is bound to make it far more popular with the playerbase. The color palette fits perfectly with Shroomite Bars, which are obtainable at the exact same time and are used primarily for Ranger items, so them being the material would fit perfectly.

Now some simple changes:
  • Light discs damage from 57 to 100
  • Flamarang damage from 32 to 45
  • Ice sickle drop rate increased to 5%
  • Frozen Turtle Shell drop rate increased from 1% to 2.5%
  • Fire arrows damage increased from 7 to 10 OR knockback increased from 2 to 6
  • Local Immunity to Shadowflame Hex Doll
  • Thunder Zapper damage from 12 to 24 (yes, double the damage)
  • Nebula Blaze knockback from 0 to 1 (just let it have mythical)
  • Razorblade Typhoon mana cost increased from 16 to 60 (Sounds extreme... but this is just a bit more than Meteor Staff mana drain)
  • Treasure Magnet can now be upgraded to Celestial Magnet
1. Hero Shield /w Cobalt for Recipe:
What's the end goal of this change? To make Hero Shield weaker but more accessible? I'm assuming the total defense would need to be reduced as part of this re-design, in addition to the mechanical changes?

3. Sanguine Immunity Frames + Blade Staff AP Bug/Attack Speed
Two of these are literally unexpected and/or bugs, so it would be nice to address them. Following up with an additional nerf to Blade Staff, I'd have to think about further, especially with the AP bug being fixed.

5. Obsidian Armor Nerf
A nerf is almost certain here, but I'm not sure what final numbers will be selected, so I'm interesting in hearing multiple points of feedback on this one. I'll consider this one "data point #1".

6. Holy Protection reworked to halve damage
I'm not sure I'll be able to sell this one, and I think there is a high chance it would be VERY poorly received on the whole. I'd rather nerf the cooldown on Holy Protection than to break it's functionality entirely.

7. Whip Stats
I'll have to look into all of these individually.

8. Pulse Bow
This is a very interesting proposal. I think it might be contradictory to Red's intent, but I can see both the balance benefits and the thematic relevance to such a decision. I'll see if it's something that can be discussed.

9. A bunch of stat changes
Some of these I agree with, some of them I don't, and some of them I'd need to evaluate to form an opinion. There are some VERY extreme shifts in stats here, which gives me a bit of pause. More research will be needed on my part to commit to anything.

Hello dear devs!
I want to suggest top 5 balance changes which cover my top favourite weapons:

Buff Scourge of the Corruptor for 10-15%.
This is the exact value of how much Scourge falls behind significantly more easily accessible Seedler.
#1.2
Or Scourge should have offensive specialisation, just like Vampire Knives have a defensive one.
Add a simple buff to Scourge, which increases all player damage by 5-10%.

Make Rainbow Gun not to interfere with other piercing projectiles.

Increase Piranha Gun's chasing velocity. It unlatches from fast enemies, like Ice Queens on low health, EoL or charging Duke fishron.

Further increase all numerical characteristics (such as projectile velocity, by up to twice) and damage by about 20% for the Tempest Staff

Reduce the amount of i-frames inflicted by Optic and Deadly Sphere staves by 20% in case of Optic and by much more for Deadly Spheres (I should say from 8 to 4 or even less).

Other suggestions need more precise calculations.
Thanks for attention!

1. Scourge Buff
Would need to do some evaluation on my end. I don't think a "buff all damage" feature is something we'd do, but a flat stat buff would be simple enough.

2. Rainbow Gun i-frames
I'd like to look into this. Will discuss best options with Yorai.

3.Piranha Gun speed
I don't see any reason not to do this, except if it introduces other weird behaviors. Will look into it.

4. Tempest Staff
That's a lot of number changes. I'd want to evaluate things on a more individual basis for any changes.

5. Optic and Deadly Sphere iframes
These are on my agenda for investigation. Additionally of note are Deadly Sphere's aggro range/behaviors.

Vampire Knives AND Spectre Hood nerf on lifesteal from 30hp/s to 5hp/s

Buff Vampire Knives damage from 29 to 42 to compensate
Spectre Hood now increases mana by 100 and reduces mana cost by 20% rather than decreasing magic damage by 40%

Let me explain, lifesteal is blatantly overpowered, this is the best way to nerf it by compensating hard because of how powerful it is, so hard nerfing it would make it not effective immortality, but the buffs would compensate by giving it either less sidearm uses and being better as a main weapon, or being an armor you use for a while instead of swapping back and forth between when you get to low health to get back to full nearly instantly

Turn Gladiator armor into a melee armor, it's a decent set but it doesn't get much use, and the set bonus is pretty good for melee, a very QoL change that no one would really get mad over
Turn Shadow armor into a classless set akin to Crimson armor, having 2% (classless) crit on each piece and having a chance to dodge attacks, this would let it be more useful and not be this weird "melee" set that really isn't great because Molten is obtained at the same area

1. Vampire and Spectre Nerf
I cannot see justifying such a sledgehammer nerf to health stealing 8 years after it was added. Reducing the potency of health stealing by 80% and then offering some minor traditional stats in return is not going to be well received. People can use other equipment for more damage. They can't get health steal anywhere else. The backlash would be way more severe than the benefits gained by improving the balance.

2. Gladiator into Melee Armor
Could you provide specifics for this?

3. Shadow Armor into Classless
I've been seeing a lot of discussion of Shadow Armor being reworked in some way. I'm intrigued by the idea, but I've seen a lot of different proposals, and there is a significant legacy element to consider. I'll need to look closely at the different suggestions and see what would be the most likely to be approved option. Not sure how likely this change will be.

I'd like to split my suggestions into two parts, items I feel should be nerfed significantly due to them reducing gameplay variety(being so good almost nothing else at the tier is viable) and items I feel have been significantly powercrept or left behind that could use a significant buff.

Items that are so strong they reduce variety:

Hallowed Armor:
May as well start with the obvious, this renders almost every other option at its stage unviable due to how powerful its combination of offense and defense is. Spider armor is one of the worst cases where this is shown, where if you want to go offense summoner you gain only 11% damage at the cost of losing broken Holy Protection. One simple change that would drastically increase the viability of offensive minion summoner(not counting Obsidian here as I really hope that gets nerfed) would be adding a Chlorophyte Summoner helmet that increased minion slots by the same amount as Hallowed to give you a real offensive option. To fix the other classes and overall balance, I recommend either doubling the duration from 30s to 1 minute or making it activate only when you take damage instead of when you attack.

Beetle Armor:
45% DR is broken. I don't think that needs to be said. This makes every other armor set besides hallowed armor unviable on higher difficulties. Nerfing the max DR to 30% would keep this as the most powerful tanking option pre moonlord and it would still outcompete every other defensive armor in almost every circumstance, but would give other armors a bit more of a chance without killing the DR monster that is this set. I have no problem with the offensive version of this set. While I feel it is very powerful, it is also a pure melee armor so it should be more powerful than anything else, and you can get higher melee damage/crit with other sets if you don't want melee speed.

Terra Blade:
I love using this weapon, but this got severely overtuned in 1.4.1. I recommend reducing the damage from 115 to 105 and reverting the use time to 16. This still keeps it incredibly powerful but gives other weapons like the Flying Dragon at least a bit of a chance of competing with it. Given that the Flying Dragon comes a whole tier later it's absurd its almost completely outclassed by the Terra Blade. This would also give Starlight a bit more of a niche.

Sanguine Staff:
Completely outclasses every other minion at its tier and for several tiers past that. The simplest change without messing around with the mechanics of the minion or changing its facetanking abilities would be a simple sharp damage decrease from 35 > 26. A 25% damage nerf might seem extreme but this would still be more powerful than the vast majority of minions at its level and would still beat out Blade Staff in unoptimized builds. I don't have blade staff on this list because despite being able to achieve Sanguine levels of dps, it requires an optimal build as well as whip stacking meaning you cannot focus on using another weapon like you can with Sanguine. The main problem I have with this minion is it beating out all other minions with no work required and being usable in any build.

Items that have been powercrept:

Optic Staff:
This minion, along with the Pygmy staff has suffered from what I'd like to call the "Blade/Sanguine" syndrome. Anything that comes around or after either of their points in progression often has been made totally irrelevant by them, and the Optic Staff is the worst example of this. The lack of local iframes means that every summon deals 25% less single target damage than the previous. While this weapon theoretically has a niche on multitarget, its single target DPS is so bad that it often doesn't matter. I recommend either giving it local iframes and slightly decreasing the damage (from 30 to ~26) or drastically decreasing the iframes it gives. (Halving or more, as even halving would keep a 12.5% DPS loss per summon)

Pygmy Staff:
Somehow this minion is arguably worse than the Optic Staff. It's DPS is insanely low for it's tier and you could add 50% to the damage of this and it would still struggle against Sanguine Staff, a weapon from early hardmode. While a flat increase of it's DPS would be the simplest option, I think Tiki Armor giving some bonus to this minion, such as either increasing it's attack speed or giving some other very significant buff to this minion would be interesting, and give Tiki a bit more of a niche, assuming this is feasible to implement. If not, either slightly less than doubling or doubling this minions damage would be appropriate.

Deadly Sphere Staff:
Why is the return range so low?

Phaseblades:
Despite being made post evil boss due to the meteorite change, these weapons still feel balanced at the pre boss level. While having a marginally higher dps than the Blade of Grass, they suffer from a lack of knockback and being a tier later. I recommend increasing knockback from 3 > 4 and attack speed from 25 > 20. This makes it a kind of Muramasa lite and makes it more capable of stunlocking enemies.

Sentry accessories:
Currently, none of these can stack and they all provide identical stats. Perhaps if one provided 5% additional minion damage and the rest 5% additional damage from their respective class this would give each a reason to exist. Seeing as how bad sentries are regardless, this should not cause powercreep.

Light Discs:
Damage buff from 57 > 80. These fall significantly behind most alternatives at the stage.

Out of all of these, I do feel the Optic and Pygmy's are the most important if you can only take a couple of these changes. Pygmies problem is simple and just has far below average damage output, but optic has the problem of being severely crippled when multiple summons of it are used, which feels painfully counterintuitive to the hoard nature of this minion. I'd love to be able to summon a swarm of these but the way they work now I effectively lose over half my DPS when doing so off a weapon that already has a lower base DPS than the Sanguine Staff.

1. Hallowed Armor
I can say pretty confidently that I don't see a Chlorophyte Helmet being added as part of this update, and for that matter, any items at all are going to be unlikely (though I hold out hope for the possibility).

As for a rebalance to Holy Protection . . . I'm going to have to think a long time about that. It will be hard to get approved.

2. Beetle Armor
Doing some discussion with others about the Beetle Shell situation, and what some reasonable options are.

3. Terra Blade
I'm seeing a lot of back and forth on Terra Blade, and this is especially compounded by the fact that it was so historically underpowered for so long. I think that its crafting quest and "role" afford it a bit more power than other weapons, so I'm not sure if I think it really deserves a nerf. Also, melee generally doesn't need to be nerfed much on the whole anyway.

4. Sanguine
5. Optic
7. Deadly Sphere
Already indicated I'm going to be looking into these.

6. Pygmy Staff
Doubling it's damage is a big change. Keep in mind, Sanguine may be being adjusted, so comparisons against Sanguine may not hold up post-change. I'll still keep it in mind.

8. Phaseblades
Will look into these.

9. Sentry Accessories
Well, none of them make sense to add minion damage. They are Melee, Melee, Ranger, Mage. This is pretty much dictated by DD2's original content, and it would be weird to pigeonhole one of them as Summoner damage. I could see Monk doing like . . . melee speed, with Squire doing melee damage, perhaps?
If anything, I'd like to inquire into making them stack though.

10. Light Disc
Second mention of Light Disc I've seen so far, though substantially different stat recommendation. I'll keep it in mind.

On an enemy focused topic, since that’s finally approved again, I think there’s something to be said about Deerclops’s spawn rate and his HP.

Deerclops currently takes *72* minutes from its spawn time to despawn. What this results in is being able to freely beat your head into the boss repeatedly and get bee-tier loot way too earlier, and there’s literally no cost to dying even with on-tier loot. He should honestly despawn on death directly, but if nothing else the despawn time should be no higher than about 12 minutes.

His HP is a bit of a weird point, because it’s actually most balanced in Expert Mode. His HP currently uses enemy scaling, which seems like an oversight. I’d suggest 11k -> 14k -> 17k or something on that scale.

Now for some blatantly overpowered (and one underpowered) item.

-Vampire Knives and Spectre Hood: These items heal the player at an easily achievable maximum rate of ~30 HP per second. This is an obvious problem with a little bit of math (this is a greater healing potion of HP every 5 seconds). They should be toned down, significantly.

-Obsidian Armor. I imagine this one is already on your list of things to look at, but this set is unacceptably strong for its tier and manages to remain strong throughout Hardmode. Part of this is the whip range, which provides an enormous window of safety, but it also has to do with the speed, both of which need further nerfs. People might be upset about losing their whip range, however, which brings me to…

-Tiki Armor. Currently has a remarkably short window of use, and is outclassed almost immediately by Spooky and is given a run for its money by Hallowed. This could inherit some whip range to give it a bit more longevity as a safer set.

-Razorblade Typhoon. This role rework is an issue, because the damage buff and the lack of localimmunity means it didn’t get any worse against crowds, but now it’s much stronger single target too. Simple solution? A good damage nerf to weaken both its single target and crowd potential.

-Titanium Armor. This is the main but not the only reason sitting on top of bosses is so extremely powerful: *every hit* with optimal hit rate spawns a Shard. Megashark + Crystal Bullets is just as good as Fetid at facetanking, funnily enough. Easy nerf might be a spawnrate cap to one every 0.3-0.5 seconds, enough to pander facetanking but still let you use the shards as a shield or empowered bash.

The Deerclops HP scaling was a literal oversight, he was accidentally not included in the boss HP scaling system at all. This also broke his HP scaling up in MP. This has been fixed, and his Expert and especially Master HP values are going to be lower, except in MP, where they will scale with player count.

We are looking at his despawn timer as well.

I find recently that the Jungle Shrine items are a little tougher to find than they need to be. The Seaweed for the Turtle pet I think should be changed to a bonus item that can spawn alongside other shrine items, rather than taking the place of the main item inside.
It would also be nice if Shrines and Jungle Crates were just a little bit more common, but I understand if that's not a change they want to make.

Another thing that I've found lately is that I think the Nebula Armor's healing nerf was a little bit too much of an overcorrection, in hindsight. It was changed from 5 HP per second with each level all the way down to 3, which really hurts it way more than you'd think. I don't think it needs a full revert, but putting it in the middle at 4 HP per second would be more reasonable, I think.

And just in general, I think there have been a lot of over-correcting nerfs lately, because I think people tend to conflate an item being powerful at all with meaning it's overpowered. I would advise being a little more gentle with nerfs in this last patch.

9 HP/s on both the wearer of the armor as well as any other nearby players is pretty substantial, especially on an already potent set that shares a considerable team damage buff as well. I don't think this needs to be walked back.

Will respond to more of these later, as this post is getting lengthy.

What's the end goal of this change? To make Hero Shield weaker but more accessible? I'm assuming the total defense would need to be reduced as part of this re-design, in addition to the mechanical changes?
Not just to make it more accessible, but also to remove the redundancy with Frozen Shield. 99% of the time you will want Frozen Shield instead of Hero Shield; as Frozen Turtle Shell is far better than what's essentially an accessory reforged to Warding.

The only times you would want to use Hero shield are:
1- a very specific tank build that REALLY needs the aggro increase, and can't get it from somewhere else (say, other Flesh knuckles or Beetle Armor)
2- All out facetank builds that want the 10 defense.

If it were craftable with Cobalt Shield, it would have a much better role in progression. We would now have an alternative to Ankh Shield that is far easier to get, but slightly less useful due to the lack of debuff immunities.

Additionally all out facetank builds would be nerfed a tiny bit; you can give Hero Shield 9 or 8 defense again if 10 is a tiny bit too much.

1. Vampire and Spectre Nerf
I cannot see justifying such a sledgehammer nerf to health stealing 8 years after it was added. Reducing the potency of health stealing by 80% and then offering some minor traditional stats in return is not going to be well received. People can use other equipment for more damage. They can't get health steal anywhere else. The backlash would be way more severe than the benefits gained by improving the balance.

2. Gladiator into Melee Armor
Could you provide specifics for this?
1. Yeah I understand, Lifesteal is a very polarized mechanic and having it sledgehammered NOW isn’t a good idea, reduce it to 20hp/s and buff VK damage from 29->32 and reduce the Hood damage Reduction from 40% to 35%-30%

2. Melee is currently the only class without a “functional” pre boss armor set, Gladiator already buffs melee enough with the anti kb, so some simple stats for melee on it which be nice, something like 7% melee damage on the head, 10% melee speed on the chestplate and 7% melee crit on the leggings would be nice(numbers might be too high but I’m just throwing out random numbers), alternatively it could get classless damage but it fits the best as an actual melee set

Following up with an additional nerf to Blade Staff, I'd have to think about further, especially with the AP bug being fixed.
AP bug being fixed with a Cool Whip buff would be enough. If Terra Blade deserves being strong for having a sizable crafting tree, then Blade Staff also deserves to be strong for not only requiring optimization & skilled play to maximize its potential, but dropping from a fully optional Hardmode boss. If anything I don't even think it should be weaker at all. It doesn't even approach current Sanguine's performance against Mech bosses, and even at its best with Durendal there are some Ranger and Mage weapons that can kill Plantera as fast if not faster while being extremely easier to use. And realistically speaking, how many people ever have used Blade Staff in a playthrough and maximized its potential with three different whips being efficiently stacked at once, excluding me?

List from my server, reposted here for more discussion

Make Hero Shield require and inherit Cobalt Shield instead of Paladin's Shield
In its current state Hero Shield either outclasses or is outclassed by Frozen Shield no matter what changes are done to it, so its only niche is being a big 10 defense increase for max facetanking builds. With this change, it can exist as a cheaper alternative to Ankh Shield, giving it a much broader niche Number 2:

Make Bone Javelins deal melee damage, make them a non-consumable but more expensive item Melee could use a ranged weapon at this stage, ranger doesn't need more.
As for Bone Javelin not feeling like a melee weapon? Daybreak is literally a direct upgrade of it, and nobody thinks that should be ranged, so i think we are fine here.

Number 3: Sanguine staff now inflicts as many immunity frames as duration left in its attack cycle; Blade staff fixed AP bug and attack speed reduced by 33%
The big two of the summoner class. Sanguine specifically is very centralizing since it's literally free to have in any build, so it must be toned down.

Number 4: Arcane Flower increases magic damage and critical strike chance by 5%
The mana flower is an item outclassed by literally a hotkey. It is not, in fact, a must have for magic class and instead just an underpowered item. Putrid Scent's bonuses would make it a far more desirable item; losing some damage compared to Sorcerer Emblem but gaining some mana cost reduction and QoL.

Number 5: Obsidian Armor nerfed from +50% range and +35% speed to +30% range and +15% speed
this armor is busted

Number 6: Holy protection changed to reduce damage in half instead of negating it entirely
Simplest nerf that doesnt change its functionality much but makes it far more balanced.

Number 7: Whips Leather whip knockback increased from 0.5 to 2.5, tag from +4 to +5 Cool Whip now has 8 tag damage Morning Star increased tag from +5/5% to +10/+10%
Simple buffs to the only underpowered whips.

Number 8: Pulse Bow is now craftable with Shroomite bars.
Pulse bow is one of the coolest weapons in the game... and by far one of the hardest to even get to use in a run, due to Post Plantera's short duration before getting to Post Golem and Travelling Merchant RNG.

Making it craftable is bound to make it far more popular with the playerbase. The color palette fits perfectly with Shroomite Bars, which are obtainable at the exact same time and are used primarily for Ranger items, so them being the material would fit perfectly.

Now some simple changes:
  • Light discs damage from 57 to 100
  • Flamarang damage from 32 to 45
  • Ice sickle drop rate increased to 5%
  • Frozen Turtle Shell drop rate increased from 1% to 2.5%
  • Fire arrows damage increased from 7 to 10 OR knockback increased from 2 to 6
  • Local Immunity to Shadowflame Hex Doll
  • Thunder Zapper damage from 12 to 24 (yes, double the damage)
  • Nebula Blaze knockback from 0 to 1 (just let it have mythical)
  • Razorblade Typhoon mana cost increased from 16 to 60 (Sounds extreme... but this is just a bit more than Meteor Staff mana drain)
  • Treasure Magnet can now be upgraded to Celestial Magnet
Hero Shield doesn't need Cobalt Shield though? It is a direct upgrade to Paladin's Shield, and changing its crafting recipe wouldn't make sense.
Light discs are also fine as-is, they're only post-Destroyer, and that Razorblade Typhoon nerf sounds like it might be a little too drastic honestly.
Everything else I either agree with or am not sure about.

Some changes that I think would fit well in this update, but most of which probably won't happen:
(Listed in order of priority, with things that I consider to be the most important to change being listed first; this does not take into account the likelihood of the changes being implemented, however)

At the moment, Deerclops has two major flaws, and seeing as how one of those is already being tackled (that being its HP scaling in expert/master mode), I'll just mention the other change here- respawn cheese. I think that, instead of lowering Deerclops' despawn time, the most fitting way to tackle the issue of players being able to respawn into the fight after dying would be to incorporate DST's own method of removing this exact cheese method: Deerclops regenerates HP if no living players are nearby. I don't know if this would be possible in this update, but if it is, I feel that it would fit the boss better than the alternative suggested by other members, since it more closely reflects how Don't Starve Together's bosses function, while fixing an exploit that, in my opinion, needs fixing.

I know it's been mentioned previously in this thread, but something needs to be done about the Pharaoh vanity set being able to overwrite the loot in the already rare desert pyramids. Simply making the pyramids more common in 1.4 was not enough, as even if a pyramid is guaranteed in the world, there's still a 1/3 chance (which honestly feels more common than that) that the Pharaoh set spawns instead of either of the useful items. As mentioned already by BadPiggy, making Pharaoh set appear alongside the other pyramid loot items would be a sufficient change. This would also keep the Pharaoh set consistent with other vanity sets obtained through chests, like the Mushroom set and the Dead Man's Sweater.
Another possible change, and one which could be done in place of OR alongside this change: Add the three pyramid loot items to the Oasis/Mirage Crate loot pools. This would make them accessible even in worlds with no pyramids at all, allowing them to be renewable like the items in Sandstone Chests.

One of my personal least favorite parts of Terraria has to be the celestial pillars. Without Journey Mode (or mods) to manipulate spawn rates, killing 100 enemies (150 in Expert) just to lower the shield of one pillar takes quite a bit of time. And this is especially infuriating if the player dies to Moon Lord and doesn't have enough fragments to craft the Celestial Sigil to spawn it again. While I don't wish for anything drastic like nerfing the pillars directly, what I do suggest is this: If the player has killed every Celestial Pillar at least one time, killing the Lunatic Cultist to summon the pillars again will spawn them with no shield or, at the very least, a weakened shield. This would save a lot of time on Moon Lord rematches should the player fail several times, and might make the event at least slightly more bearable. If spawning the pillars with no shield on subsequent attempts is too much to ask for, perhaps just have the shield be at 50% power in future events? (so the player needs 50 kills in Classic, 75 in Expert/Master)

Now, this is more of a personal opinion and I certainly don't expect this to happen in this update, but I personally think Rich Mahogany Chests should contain Jungle biome-exclusive loot. At the moment, Rich Mahogany Chests share their loot pool with Gold Chests, and while that is fine to a degree, the existence of unique loot in Ice Chests and Sandstone Chests (and even Mushroom Chests have some unique secondary items) makes Rich Mahogany Chests having Gold Chest loot feel like an oversight. Personally, I think the Rich Mahogany Chest loot tables should be changed to use Jungle-themed loot. Probably the easiest way to do this would be by using the Ivy Chest loot pool for Rich Mahogany Chests. Another alternative would be to split up the two loot tables so that Ivy Chests have the stronger items as compensation for being rarer than their Rich Mahogany counterparts, but this would take more effort to balance, so it'd probably be easier to simply use the existing loot pool. Of course, the chances of this change being accepted at all are rather slim, but I figured I would mention it anyways because it's always bugged me. Although maybe this change would be better suited for a mod to handle, rather than being a vanilla feature...

So... To summarize:
1) Deerclops regenerates HP while not being actively fought to prevent cheese while keeping him consistent with Don't Starve Together's mechanics
2) Desert pyramid chests contain one accessory and the Pharaoh vanity set, not one or the other. Also maybe add pyramid loot to Oasis/Mirage Crates?
3) After killing all four celestial pillars once, future pillar events have the pillars spawn with either no shield or a 50% weakened shield
4) Rich Mahogany Chests contain the same items as Ivy Chests to keep them consistent with other biome-exclusive chests

Apologies if this post is too long or has too many changes that don't make sense, I just thought some of these would make sense and fix some inconsistencies and annoyances that I know I've personally run into playing this game and that others possibly have as well. Regardless of if these changes are made or not, Terraria is and probably always will be one of my all-time favorite games, and I'm super excited to see what does happen to make it into this next update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom