Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were to change enchanted boomerang I would just remove wooden boomerang and put enchanted boomerang in it's place. No reason to have wooden boomerang just be a glorified crafting material.

As an early game weapon it's pretty well balanced, it doesn't have the best dps but it has one of the best knockback values of any early game weapon, and in the early game when your mobility is very limited being able to move your enemies away from you is invaluable.

If their melee speed is changed to whip speed... wouldn't it start stacking multiplicatively with other melee speed sources? And thus making them an even bigger buff for whips?

That's not necessarily a balance issue but it should be pointed out.
It would be additive.

as someone who didn't even know the whip exploit existed until checking out this thread, i think the terrablade's strength definitely isn't tied to whips.
That's because Terra Blade is significantly even stronger than you thought. With DH and either Scale Mail or Durendal it can kill Mourning Woods in around two seconds. It can also kill Golem in way under 10 seconds, maybe even only five seconds in some cases. It can phase skip Duke Fishron to death on Master.

That's because Terra Blade is significantly even stronger than you thought. With DH and either Scale Mail or Durendal it can kill Mourning Woods in around two seconds. It can also kill Golem in way under 10 seconds, maybe even only five seconds in some cases. It can phase skip Duke Fishron to death on Master.
Terra blade also kills mourning woods in 2 seconds without whips...

Can the blade reach 3-4 frames without whips, and do you need very high offensive investments for it?
I was using beetle scail with 2 purely offensive accesories and celestial shell (offense and defense), menacing modifers. I was using 2 mobility accesories because it was an H4 build but once witch broom is avaible those slots can be used for a worm scraf and brain of confusion.

It kills morning woods while only taking 2 star veil hits, then the morning wood drops all a bunch of hearts to restore the lost health.

My English is not so good but I also want to show my opinions.
First of all,as most people think,the suit effect of obsidian armor is op...I think it can be moved to post-Plantera.And the intensification of whips can also be added into another armor.
Additionally,Melee weapons can be strengthened in Pre-Mechanical bosses and Pre-hardmode,in order to enhance the warrior's gaming experience when fighting with the Wall of Flesh and Mechanical bosses :D

urmm,through it is impossible, I want the Zenith of Gun/Bow, whip and magic weapon lol

Last edited:
Cool Whip
Compared with Fire cracker even the Bone whip, it has no advantages except the base damage.
the snowflake's damage was too LOW.
I think you can reduce the base damage lower than the Fire cracker. and then buff the snowflake's damage and let it Receive the summon damage bonus.I know the Forbidden typhoon already has this function.

The Ore Repeaters
Except for the Hallowed and the Chlorophyte one, they are all Extreme Useless.
I think you can make then looks not like "a bow but looks like a Repeater".
for example. remake their attack mode like the Clockwork Assault Rifle.
the better ore make(like the Mythril or Orichalcum one), the more arrow it can shoot for one time.

Phaseblades and the Phasesabers
They are also notoriously useless weapons in terraria
I think you can make the blade Ignores about 20 defense to make then can be useful for all the HM mobs.
and make the saber Ignores all the defense or just 50 to make it useful for all the hard mode mobs,this one in game was worse than the phaseblade because of the Night edge or even Starfury.
just a small change, but I think they can be useful.

Volatile Gelatin​

tte Royal gel can Causes such like the Gastropod,spike slimes's attack so it was very useful.
but the Volatile Gelatin only have a useless attack.
I think it can changed like a royal gem plus,retain the ability of attack but also cause the slime or even stop the slime from spawning

My English is too bad but i'm trying my best to express what i think about rebalance. thanks for reading:pinky:

Last edited:
I’m gonna put something down that won’t happen but it’s worth a shot, maybe it’s controversial as well

Increase Lightning Boots(and above) speed from 34 to 38, along with granting acceleration, there’s no reason to NOT use Amphi Boots over Lightning Boots, this simple buff could possible give players a choice between Lightning and Amphi, maybe Anklet of the Wind increases Acceleration or something?

Two very simple changes:
  1. Make NPC happiness consider hybrid biomes as more than one biome, pylons and shops already do this so we know it's possible.
  2. Separate sprite sheets for major items such as statues, trophies, and relics so that resource packs don't constantly override each other.

Last edited:
I have been waiting for this! I'm not sure exactly how big the changes can be ( I included smaller reworks as well. I know, they aren't likely to be put in game but I still wanted to share my ideas ) but here are all my ideas that could work:

[Small weapon reworks]
{Melee}
•Yoyos should be more unique, the only one that's unique is terrarian which is an endgame weapon. Examples: mini explosions on impact with cascade, small fire aura around hel-fire, yelets shoots stingers once a second, eye of cthulhu charging at enemies etc
•Night's edge could have a unique mechanic of increasing its damage the longer you deal damage with it ( requires being close to the enemies for longer ). It would stack up to +8% damage, depletes over time. It's definitely a pretty good item but having this mechanic makes this legendary weapon even cooler
•Excalibur: the same thing as night's edge above but with increasing melee speed instead
•Lightsabers could reflect lasers and have increased knockback. That makes them more viable and unique
•All boomerangs should pierce at least once and some should have special effects:
•Spore boomerang creates a spore cloud on hit
•Ice boomerang can inflict frostburn
•Flamarang has a fire aura, damage increased to 35
{Ranged}
•quad-barrel shotgun could work kinda like before the rework. For me, it should still shoot 4 projectiles ( since it has "quad" in the name ) and damage could be increased to ( slightly less than at the start ). The fact that it is now post-skeletron + reduced usetime changes a lot so it shouldn't have been changed that much
•Blood rain bow shoots more arrows ( it's really hard to hit enemies, this bow should be actually worth getting ), damage increased to 17, crit chance to 9%
•Bone arrows break after they pierce ( similiar to crystal bullets ). That makes them a more viable and unique ammo
Silver bullets deal more damage to werewolfs ( based on legends )
{Magic}
•Blood thorn's projectiles should be longer, damage increased to 39, ignores 5 enemy defense points. I don't see a use for this item, it's currently neither good for regular enemies or bosses
{Summon}
•Pirates from pirate staff should be way more mobile, damage is increased to and can deal contant damage when flying. They are basically worthless, every other hardmode minion outclasses them
•Optic staff could ignores 5 enemy defense

[Stat changes]
•Storm spear: dmg from 12 to 15
•Light disc: dmg from 57 to 68
•Thunder zapper: dmg from 12 to 20
•Weather pain: dmg from 13 to 16
•Neetle burst: dmg from 35 to 38
Wasp gun: dmg from 31 to 33, mana cost from 10 to 8

[Accesories]
•Putrid scent upgrades should give 3% damage increase so they have a use in singleplayer. 3% per accesory isn't that much and it would make the upgrades worth using
•Lucky horseshoe and it's upgrades could allow for holding "down" button to fall faster ( there are almost no items which allow faster fall speed )
•It would be really nice if toolbox, toolbelt and ancient chisel could be combined into something like "ancient tool set". Wearing them individually just takes so much accesory space and this suggestion would make it a cool accesory for building

[Enemies]
•World feeder's head should inflict cursed inferno since it drops cursed flames
•Dreadnautilus should charge at you slower/at a bigger angle. In my opinion it's his most difficult attack since you need insane movement speed or weird movement to dodge it. I have seen a mod that changes him into a boss and it also included that rework
•Giant digger and Giant fungi bulb should have their own banner instead of sharing it with their pre-hardmode versions ( just like what happened to moss hornets in 1.4 )
•New sprite for chaos elemental. My own idea attached below!
•New sprite for banners of: moth, some mummies, chaos elemental ( from my suggestion above )
•Required enemies killed to remove pillar shield changed to 75 (100 on expert+)

[Armor]
•Obsidian armor slightly nerfed: range increase from 50% to 45%, speed increase from 35% to 30% ( this makes bee armor nad early hardmode armors more viable )
•Bee armor: set bonus also adds 1 bonus minion (+3 In total), dmg increase on set bonus reduced from 10% to 7%
•Shroomite armor: ( a bigger but necessary change imo ) it's way too similiar to vortex set and I don't see any use in incresing damage at the cost of literally not moving. Here's my idea: it could slowly spawn short-lasting spores around you, touching them slightly increases your stats and the effect stacks to for example +20% damage +15% crit strike chance, +10% increased knockback, +2 hp regen ( works as a stacking buff like boosters from nebula armor )

[Other]
•Electrified tooltip changed from "you cannot move" to "don't move!" ( current one makes no sense )
•Furniture from angler's quests should have a higher chance to be a bonus reward if you have done enough quests

Hopefully I didn't forget about anything important and autocorrect didn't mess something up. Thanks for all your work!<3

Attachments

• 20220107_133241.jpg
    20220107_133241.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
This is technically a rework, but it's one that I think would be relatively simple to do.

I think the Nurse's cost should change depending if there's a boss/event.
If there is one, the cost scaling should remain the same as it is now (with maybe the exception of the Lunar Events).
If not, the cost scaling should be the pre-1.4 scaling.
Because using the Nurse to cheese bosses for chump change is broken.
But having a Nurse to heal you for chump change before you go spelunking is nice and makes her a lot more useful without making her broken.

Last edited:
Some thoughts about the summoner:

The whip is too "dominant". I can't see the cooperation between whips and summoned minions. Of course I'm not saying this to cripple the whips, instead, I want to see more powerful summoned minions effected by whips. Compared to whips, they are too weak now.

An important reason of the "OP" situation, is that, buffs gained by the previous whip still work after switching to another whip. Player can make extremely high damage by quickly switching between whips (the Snapthorn or Durendal, with other whips, like the Firecracker). This seems to be a flaw. Whips should bonus summoned minions for the most part, not just bonus themselves (even other melee weapons, that's terrible). After all, summoner is the summoner, not the whipper, right? I saw many players play as a summoner but only use whips, just because they'er much more powerful. That's missing the purpose.

Obsidian armor's high stats does not seem to be the first important reason. For whips, we need attack range and speed to make them more useful. Anyway, the obsidian is still OP, considering the stage of the game. It's still competetive even after plantera. I think that early-stage armors may enhance the whip, but not to be that powerful, and later-stage armors should also have chance to enhance whips (like the spider, the forbidden, the sallowed, etc.) Even if the obsidian is weakened, armor with corresponding stats should be available in the later stages. The obsidian shouldn't be that prominent or special. I mean, strengthening the whip should be a common thing in summon armors. Now summon armors are devided into two kinds, one (the obsidian) enhanced whips, the other enhanced minions. So that playing method been devided into two kinds, one depends on whips and the other depends on summoning. I don't think it's a good situation.

Then I think of the chlorophyte armor, the most forgotten ones. The chlorophyte still don't have summoner's helmet yet. However, I think the chlorophyte theme suits the summoner perfectly. The leaf crystal looks just like a summoned weapon. There needs to be chlorophyte armor for the summoner(though adding it seems hopeless). Summoner do lack a decent armor in the middle and late stage of the game now.

Suggestions:

- Summoner should have equal strength to other classes, not too strong (by using whips) or too weak (by minions). Damage done mostly by minions, not whips.
- Enhance summoned minions.
- Increase whips' effect and buff bonus damage for minions, cut down whips' damage on their own.
- More summon armor enhance the whip.
- More kinds of effects and buffs given by different whips, like Firecracker's explosion and Cool Whip's snowflake. (is that possable?)
p.s. I wonder why summon weapons can't make critical strike... If they can, it might be a good idea for whips to bonus minion's crit rate.

Hope that the summoner will have a better gameplay. I'm not very proficient using English, and may not be able to express my meaning well. Anyway, thankyou for reading my comment ;)

Last edited:
I'm thinking about suggestions on specific stats changes, it's not easy to decide yet. I will leave addtional conments here when I clear up my mind.

One thing I do want to reiterate here, based on seeing some posts, that reworks/redesigns to how equipment or weapons work is considerably unlikely. This especially includes adding new items entirely.

Unless it is calling upon basic functionality that exists elsewhere (Adding a debuff immunity to an armor or something), we are unlikely to see fundamental redesigns or new mechanics for weapons. Direct stat changes (either changing the number, or changing the stats affected) are the simplest and most likely changes I will be able to be making.

I have a list of QoL changes that I think would be helpful:

Items:

1. Obsidian Rose: I think that the Obsidian Rose's drop rate should be increased to 3%-5%. It's only really useful as a component of the Terraspark Boots (which are good, but not OP), and it being only a 2% drop rate from a single enemy in the entire game helps contribute to how notoriously grindy getting the Terraspark Boots can be.

2. Water Walking Boots: I think increasing their chest-spawning rate to 15% or so would be helpful because, again, Terraspark Boots grinding can be suffering.

3. Celestial Sigil: The crafting recipe for this item is quite expensive (going through the entire Lunar Events will only give you enough for a few of them on average), and that makes getting everything from Moon Lord's notoriously large drop pool more painful than it needs to be, especially since it's hard to beat Moon Lord in the first place. I think reducing the recipe cost to only requiring five of each fragment would be very helpful.

4. Blessed Apple: With only a 2% drop rate from a formidable, tanky enemy, I think that getting one of these is harder than it should be because the Unicorn mount is useful but not overpowered by any means. I say increase the drop rate to 4%-5% (at least on Expert and higher).

5. Biome Keys: Having the Biome Keys be only a 1/2500 drop chance seems like an artifact more than anything else. That chance is among the lowest in the game, and it's for gear that you can only get after defeating Plantera anyway. You're not realistically going to get them all unless you set up a farm. Setting up and using a farm can be tedious and time-consuming, especially since enemy farms were nerfed in 1.4. I say increase the drop chance to 1/800, but an increase to the old rate (1/1000) would be well-appreciated too.

QoL:

6. Lava Fishing: I see no real gameplay reason to make it so slow. Sure, it makes sense that you would find less fish in lava than you would in water, but this is yet another contributor to just how grindy getting the Terraspark Boots can get. Also, nothing you can get from lava fishing is outright overpowered, so this isn't really a balancing concern. I say make the lava fishing catch rate similar to that of fishing in water. This would make a major feature touted for 1.4 a lot more user-friendly without breaking anything.

7. Stack Limits: Increasing the stack limits for all all ammo materials/potion ingredients/seeds would be a welcome QoL change that would save storage space without hurting anything.

8. Truffle: I see no reason as to why this NPC can only live in surface mushroom biomes, especially in a post-Pylons/happiness game. The guy is literally a mushroom. Why would he not be able to live among underground ones? Maybe keep the initial spawning condition of having a surface mushroom biome, but after his initial spawning, I think he should be allowed to live in any mushroom biome.

NPCs:

9. Pirate: The Pirate is a notoriously useless NPC in Terraria. To give him a use, perhaps allow him to sell the Gold Ring? I know that seems like a big change, but at least it'd give him something worth buying without being very game-breaking. Also, maybe you have him sell explosive bunnies again? I know he used to do that, but maybe that's too broken given how powerful they are now.

10. Party Girl: Having her arrival be only a tiny random 2.5% chance each day is so low that it makes me terrified of anything happening to her and her death (especially from the Lunar Events) hurting my town system. I say increase the chance to 10%-20% once the other conditions are met. I don't see any reason for her spawn chance to be so low.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom