Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we're on the topic of fishing, the drop rate for crystal hearts is really, really low. 1/15, doesn't sound too bad, until you realize they only drop from golden crates, and a 1 in fifteen chance is only 6.67%. It even goes down to 6.33% for Titanium crates.

CrabBar's Skyblock videos do a really good job showing the absolutely insane amount of time it can take just to get the minimum of fifteen hearts for one player.
All this to say crystal hearts can be found much easier by exploring, and if you do run out somehow then world hopping for more is still waaay better than fishing.
Like, seriously.
Having Life Crystals more easily obtained from crates would vastly improve multiplayer, it's not like having easy access to them would be overpowered as life gained from them caps at 400 and they're only worth 1 gold and 50 silver.

Since we're on the topic of fishing, the drop rate for crystal hearts is really, really low. 1/15, doesn't sound too bad, until you realize they only drop from golden crates, and a 1 in fifteen chance is only 6.67%. It even goes down to 6.33% for Titanium crates.

CrabBar's Skyblock videos do a really good job showing the absolutely insane amount of time it can take just to get the minimum of fifteen hearts for one player.
All this to say crystal hearts can be found much easier by exploring, and if you do run out somehow then world hopping for more is still waaay better than fishing.
Like, seriously.
Yes, but actually YES. It's like more weird generation rather "world hopping". For example: once I was doing underground snow biome exploring for hearts (snow cause no annoying almost one-shooting worms (but also dangerous to explore)) and in 2-nights run (or till inventory get full) I saw only 1-2 hearts (I got 240 health when stopped snow exploring). But what I'm having on point is that when I reached health cap (right before wof) and begun to look for rare accessories I got little shock of what I saw: approximately 5 or 6 lines of hearts located in the beginning of underground level (2 in mush biome ok) of 2 up to 6, yes my man, SIXXX hearts! Holy cow for world hopping I think. So raise chance a bit is fair enough

Last edited:
Here are some ideas I came up with.

Ogre drops
There are some cool weapons from the Ogre that we'd all like to see more often, The Tome of Wisdom, the Phantom Phoenix, but it's hard to get them since each are only a 1/10 drop (in Expert mode). On the other hand, the accessories he drops are all functionally the same, yet together they amount to a 50% drop chance! Half the time the Ogre drops the same accessory. These accessories do not even stack with one another (yet you can oddly equip all of them at once, but that’s another issue entirely). The weapons the Ogre drops are the main reason people will farm it, but many people don't find farming for these weapons worth it, since Old Ones Army gets pretty harsh on higher difficulties, and the low drop rates on these items makes it tedious. If the drop rates are adjusted, I think more people will find farming for these weapons worth it.
  • Make it always drop 1 weapon, with a 1/5 drop rate each, and additionally have a 50% chance to drop any accessory. OR
  • Increase the drop rates of each weapon from 10% to 16% (in Expert Mode). Decrease the drop rates of each accessory from 12.5% to 5%

Oyster Pearls and Luck Potions
They're very rare to say the least, which hinders their practicality. Even getting the basic White Pearl is a grind.
You fish all this time to get oysters with the hope to get pearls, just to increase your luck a bit for a somewhat short period of time. It's better to just go farm whatever weapon or accessory or material you want instead of going the extra step of getting Luck potions. I haven't seen anyone using these outside of Journey Mode.
I noticed the percentages of pearls from Oysters added up are 20%. I suggest this gets bumped up to around 30% (31.72% for the below numbers).
White Pearl: 96/625 (15.36%) -> 156/625 (24.96%)
Black Pearl: 24/625 (3.84%) -> 36/625 (5.76%)
Pink Pearl: 1/125 (0.8%) -> 1/100 (1%)

Bee Armor
Stat wise it's lacking compared to the Obsidian Armor.
( Bee: 2 slots, 23% damage, 13 defense
Obsidian: 1 slot, 31% damage, 15 defense)
It's also quite a bit harder to get, needing to beat Queen Bee twice vs getting a Nightmare/Deathbringer Pickaxe.
I think this armor has potential to synergize with Abigail because of the additional summon. I think focusing on that synergy to differentiate it from the obsidian armor is one way to make both armors unique. For example adding a flat damage increase (like +2 summon damage) would buff that synergy I imagine. But here's a more traditional buff:
Bump up the damage (33%) and defense (16).
Another more interesting idea, although not a stat change and not synergizing with Abigail, is to occasionally summon 2-3 bees when a whip hits an enemy. I completely understand if changes like this are not what you're looking for.

Honey Bottle
It's straight up weaker than the 100 HP Healing Potions, and when you're fighting Queen Bee you most likely already have a few stacks of them.
I suggest after healing with it you gain the honey buff for 3-5 seconds.

Honey Balloon and Amber Horseshoe Balloon
I often see the rest of the Honey Comb accessories used, but not this one. Increase it's base jump height to be higher than any other balloon, so it has a unique use.
Increase the jump height to 15 blocks (instead of 10.5)

All Balloons
Why is that when you're in water, all balloons lower your jump height from 8 to 7? I've noticed a general theme with accessories that there aren't many accessories that have drawbacks, that decrease some stat in order to increase another, but this is an exception. It doesn't need to increase your jump height in water, but there's no need to decrease it.

Golem Farming
Many people want to farm for the Eye Of the Golem or the Sun Stone, but it's a huge grind to get both of them. You have to farm for lihzahrd power cells and hope you get a 1/7 drop. Yet I agree if you want to get both you gotta put in the work and earn them.
Increase the drop rates of the Lihzahrd Power Cell from 2% to 3-4%

Universal Pylon
As it is now it's a reward for completing the bestiary, and it's cool to have some reward for that. But the thing is you'll only use this after completing the entire game, you've already done everything there is. Outside of building, people won't use it, cuz most would just make a new character and world. The Pylon just acts as a trophy. This item could be useful if it was more accessible.
I suggest it be sold at 50% filled Bestiary. This way people will look forward to getting this. This also gives an incentive to explore more of the world, for the people who would go out of their way to fill in the Bestiary just to get it.

Diving Helmet
Increase the droprate from 1% to 5%
As sharks are an uncommon enemy, the 1% drop rate on this is a bit much.
I think the general use of these Diving accessories is for brief use in the Ocean and for the many underground water pools you encounter while mining, and especially when you're mining a hellevator and you pass by all sorts of water pools.The more accesible these accessories are in the early game, before you begin mining the hellevator, the better. An increased drop rate will achieve just that.

Bananarang
It stacks up to 10, but with a 3,33% drop chance you'll never get any more than the 1-4 the Clown drops you. Bumping it to 5-8% would make the stackable aspect of this weapon viable, and worthy to be farmed for. An alternative change could be changing the drop amount from 1-4 Bannarangs to 2-5.

Tax Collector
He only gives up to 10 gold and you only get him in hardmode. 10 gold's barely anything at this point in progression. Many people don't even get him.
RAISE THE TAX- Increase the amount of money he collects and the cap. With 20 NPCs, 10 gold per 2-3 days would be pretty good. A cap of 20 gold is enough.

Grappling Hook
Instead of being sold by the Goblin move it to the Merchant or Demolitionist post-King Slime.
By the time you have defeated the goblins you most likely already have a gem hook. There's a high chance you have e hook before Eye of Cthulhu even. The merchant selling the standard grappling hook will be useful early game, also it would be thematically fitting to be after King Slime with the entire Ninja theme. Although there's a slight conflict with the Slimy Hook being dropped by the King Slime.

Metal Detector
Make it also detect the Gelatin Crystal (Queen Slime summon item). This draws a nice parallel to how you can detect the Truffle Worm / Prismatic Lacewing through the Lifeform Analyzer. And more importantly it makes Queen Slime a bit more accessible.

Gravedigger's Shovel
Make it also dig cloud.

Grand Design
Replace the Ruler from its recipe with the Mechanical Ruler. You have the Ruler option by default now. This way we're integrating the Mechanical Ruler into the Grand Design, with the simple goal to have all the mechanical displays and toggles into a single item.

Undead Miner
Make it so it spawns slightly more often while you're wearing a Mining Helmet / Ultrabright Helmet, but you haven't equipped the other 2 armor pieces. Just like how Tim is more likely to spawn if you only have a Robe without the hat.

Ancient Shadow Armor
You can get this armor before defeating EoW. Instead of being dropped by Eaters Of Souls, make it craftable at a Demon Altar, just like the Ancient Hallowed Armor. But the Ancient Gold Helmet, Necro Helmet and Cobalt Armor are fine as is, since they don't skip progression.

Disco Ball
Sold by the Party Girl instead of the Merchant. It's a bit random for the Merchant to be selling this, then again he also sells the Drums which isn't fitting either.

There are some slight inconsistencies with listing the exact location of fishing quest locations. Here are a few examples:
Tundra Trout is correctly listed as Surface Tundra, Pengfish is listed as Tundra, yet you only catch it in the Surface Tundra
Both the Unicorn Fish and the Pixiefish are listed as Hallow, but the former can be caught at any height, while the latter can be caught only on the surface Hallow

Have a way to tell the player that certain ammunition can be resold at some NPCs. Ammo like Flares, Styngers, Nails, Candy Corn, Jack O'Lantern Explosives etc., even the Wet Bombs
I suggest an item description be added to these items "Can be mass produced by X NPC" (Arms Dealer, Merchant, Demolitionist)

Is it possible to increase the max stack of certain materials from 99 to 999?

I have what's probably a stupid idea. Increase Pocket Mirror's drop rate to, say, 10% and have it be a material for the Ankh Shield. This would give the Pocket Mirror (and by extension, the Marble biome) some genuine impact on player progression.

Also, I think that the Gladius and Medusa Head could stand to be buffed, but other people here would have a better idea on how to do it than I would.

I have what's probably a stupid idea. Increase Pocket Mirror's drop rate to, say, 10% and have it be a material for the Ankh Shield. This would give the Pocket Mirror (and by extension, the Marble biome) some genuine impact on player progression.

The problem is that the effect of the Pocket Mirror is very useless, only having any use when fighting Medusa. Something similar can be said about most other immunities that the Ankh Shield has. Adding a borderline useless effect to the shield doesn’t make it any better and only makes it even more annoying to get.

Last edited:
I have an idea about the Tax Collecter.
What about giving him a status message when he's done collecting money.
Something like: "Good day playername, I have collected the maximum amount of tax money and you should come to me to collect it."
This would make Tax Collecter more useful and people wouldn't have to wonder when he'll be done collecting money.

Ancient Shadow Armor
You can get this armor before defeating EoW. Instead of being dropped by Eaters Of Souls, make it craftable at a Demon Altar, just like the Ancient Hallowed Armor. But the Ancient Gold Helmet, Necro Helmet and Cobalt Armor are fine as is, since they don't skip progression.
Why are people so eager to remove progression skipping. For me it's one of my favorite things in the game. Stuff like locking Duke behind Golem, locking Meteor's behind the EoW/BoC, Hardmode crates - etc. Just (will) make the game more boring without really adding/improving anything if you don't like skipping progression just don't skip it.

Bee Armor
Stat wise it's lacking compared to the Obsidian Armor.
Obsidian armor lasts all the way up to and including Post Golem tier. Bee is not the problem here.
I suggest after healing with it you gain the honey buff for 3-5 seconds.
Honey Buff is +1 hp/s of regeneration (a bit more because it buffs natural regen too, but let's not dive into that mess). This buff makes it 85 HP per heal instead of 80, it needs to last more.
All Balloons
Why is that when you're in water, all balloons lower your jump height from 8 to 7? I've noticed a general theme with accessories that there aren't many accessories that have drawbacks, that decrease some stat in order to increase another, but this is an exception. It doesn't need to increase your jump height in water, but there's no need to decrease it.
This is probably some unintended jank caused by decade-old code, it's probably better to leave it alone.
This would make Tax Collecter more useful and people wouldn't have to wonder when he'll be done collecting money.
Tax collector always shows how many Copper and Silver coins he has, you can tell when he's reached his limit when you no longer see Copper and Silver in his storage.

While we're on the topic of making things more useful by moving around their availability, lets talk about the Digging Molecart.

The Molecart is a victim of its current placement in game progression and I think it deserves to be available when it would be the most useful, because by the time you reach 60% Bestiary completion you most likely have other ways to traverse the world such wings, mounts, or even pylons.
It wouldn't be overpowered having it early on because its digging is based on your best pickaxe.

Small list of important items that can sometimes be a pain to obtain due to their rarity:

Magic Quiver - Increase drop chance from 1.25% to 2.5%

Frozen Turtle Shell - Increase drop rate from 1% to 2.5%

Celestial Magnet - Solutions to make it easier to obtain: Make the Travelling Merchant always sell it, move the item to sky islands, make it craftable using treasure magnet in its recipe.

Those are the ones that have caused me a great deal of suffering.

Okay, had some time to think, and I've decided that present me doesn't agree with one in the morning me from a few days ago.
So, I've decided to remake my two lists of suggestions into one giant list.
Introducing:

Idea List Version 2: Featuring New items!*​

*May feature silly and unbalanced changes because the author is an idiot who can't do math. Items new to the list shall be marked with a asterisk, several old items have updated thoughts,
many items I think might need change are excluded due to time constraints, I can only stare at text walls for so long before my brain starts to smoothen.

Buffs:​

Pre-Hardmode Weapons:

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 12 to 16

- It's weak, it's rare, and the same enemy drops an item that's better than it.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 10 to 27
Increase use time from 16 to 25
Increase knockback from 0 to 4
Now has autofire, y'know, like the Musket
Increase cost from 5 gold to 10 gold, I guess?

- The Flintlock is comically bad. By the time you even have the privilege to buy this weapon you already have a better one. That's not even an exaggeration, you literally need a gun or ammo to get the Arm's Dealer, and loose ammo always comes with the guns obtainable. Just save up for the Minishark or the Quad-Barrel man.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 13 to 16
Increase both initial and return velocity significantly

Ice Boomerang:
Increase damage from 16 to 27
Increase velocity more than the Enchanted Boomerang
Now inflicts frostburn
Now called the Freezerang

Fruitcake Chakram:
Increase damage from 14 to 28
Increase velocity more than the Enchanted Boomerang
Still won't see much use because it's a Christmas item.

Thorn Chakram:
Increase damage from 25 to 30
Increase velocity more than the Freezerang-Ice Boomerang, I said Ice Boomerang.

Shroomerang:
Increase damage from 14 to 26
Now pierces enemies
Increase velocity more than the Ice Boomerang but less than the Thorn Chakram

Flamarang:
Increase damage from 32 to 50
Increase velocity more than the Thorn Chakram

- Boomerangs are extremely undertuned right now, flails and yoyos do mid/long range better, broadswords do short range better. They need a pretty big damage buff to keep up.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 10 to 12

- While the Vilethorn is adequate, it pales in comparison to the Ball O' Hurt and jester arrows, and enemies with even just ten defense can greatly reduce it's effectiveness, two points of damage would go a long way honestly.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 12 to 16

- If the Vilethorn is okay, then the Crimson Cod is just kinda bad. It needs some more damage.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 14 to 23
Decrease use time from 31 to 26

- The Crimson got the short end of the fork in terms of orb weapons, it seems. The Rotted Fork is way under par, losing out to the Swordfish of all things. give it some love.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 15 to 19
Can now autofire

- A musket this is not, giving it a leg up would be greatly appreciated.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 25 to 33
Remove or reduce Immunity frames from projectile to prevent it from clipping through enemies when fired at close range

- The harpoon is weird man, it's got okay DPS at point blank range, but the use time becomes so low it can phase right through foes, forcing you to wait for it's long return time. makes the thing more trouble than it's worth. Which is a shame, because it's a unique weapon that's just... really undertuned.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 29 to 43

- Once the cream of the crop of pre-hardmode weapons, power creep has not treated the Dark Lance and it's other spear brethren well, falling behind all other shadow chest loot by a fair margin. A 50%-ish damage buff might not make it meta(Who knows, maybe it will?) but it will at least make it good, I think.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase item size by 15%

- Honestly, the Night's Edge isn't that bad. It's just a bit on the small side. Making it a little bigger would help a lot. I don't really like how it loses relevance almost immediately,
but I guess that's just hardmode for ya'.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 27 to 30
Decrease use time from 35 to 29

- This obscure weapon has incredibly low stats, you can do so much better than this after queen bee. It needs some serious help.

Suggested Change(s):
Now has autofire

- Honestly the Phoenix Blaster is fine, it just suffers from a high use rate with no autofire meaning you have to spam click it a lot, which gets tiring. If the freakin' Musket gets autofire I don't see why a handgun can't.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 16 to 22

- The aqua Scepter has some stiff competition, and it does not hold up compared to them. A damage buff would be nice.

Suggested Change(s):
Houndius Shootius:

Increase damage from 24 to 27

Basically All Sentries:
Now attacks immediately if an enemy enters it's range and if the sentry's attack is off cooldown
Now attacks immediately after being summoned or re-summoned

- I always wondered why the Old one's army towers felt more responsive than the other sentries, and now I think I know why, when you summon a Ballista Tower or a Flameburst Tower if an enemy is in it's range it will attack immediately, you can even use these sentries as inefficient magic weapons this way, it feels a lot better like this. Makes it feel like micromanaging isn't just a waste of your time. Other sentries like the Frost Hydra or this one wait a second or two before doing anything after getting summoned. If this is a bug, I'd say make it a feature of every sentry.

Suggested Change(s):
Lightning Aura Rod:

Increase damage from 4 to 7

Flameburst Rod:
Increase damage from 17 to 21

Explosive Trap Rod:
Increase damage from 24 to 31

- Compared to the Ballista Rod, the other sentries fall behind in use, Explosive Trap especially.

Hardmode Weapons:

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 43 to 50

- In it's current state the Breaker blade is a serviceable, if slightly underwhelming weapon that can keep hardmode enemies at bay decently, With a damage buff it'll be able to use it's double damage ability more effectively, which would be nice.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 42 to 60
Decrease number of crystal shards to craft from 50 to 25

- Fifty shards is a lot to ask for something that isn't even as good as a tier three ore sword.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 49 to 52
Decrease use time from 18 to 17

- This thing is kinda underwhelming for an invasion drop. A little buff for a little sword couldn't hurt.

Suggested Change(s):
Decrease damage from 52 to 49
Reduce cooldown of beam from 1 second to 0.5 seconds
Now has autoswing

- Another underpowered early hardmode melee to add to the list, Thought I'd give it a beam themed buff, it is the Beam Sword after all.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 100 to 115
Decrease number of souls of light & night to craft from 7 to 5

- The Dao of Pow is too difficult to craft for it's power level.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 32 to 33
Increase Velocity from 16 to 19

- Crystal storm is pretty bad, definitely the worst of the three craftable books. The crystal shards lose speed so fast they have almost no range, the damage is good, but not enough to warrant the risk using it entails.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 40 to 47
Increase use time from 8 to 10
Now has autoswing

- The Magic Dagger is too fast for it's own good, often suffering from immunity frame issues from it's blazing fast use time, other than that and it's lack of autoswing it's pretty good.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 40 to 65
Increase max tile range from 17 blocks to 20
Change drop from a 1/1000 chance from any hardmode enemy during a blood moon to a significantly more reasonable drop rate from Clown's

- The KO Cannon is pretty neat, but it's also pretty weak, and really rare. The Chain Guillotines are much better and more obtainable, the Chain Guillotines aren't exactly a knockout performer either but they're certainly an upgrade. Plus Clown? Giant boxing glove cannon? It just makes sense.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 59 to 61

- These things aren't too bad, just a little love will make them real good.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 66 to 68
Decrease use time from 20 to 17

- Truthfully all of the hardmode ore swords need a buff, but that's a lot of random numbers to throw out there so I'm not gonna bore you with all that. For now getting Ol' Excal stats closer to the true version would be nice.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 42 to 67
Decrease use time from 22 to 20

- Hardmode ore swords need a buff, hardmode ore spears doubly so. I'm not gonna type all that out so have these Gungnir buffs instead.

Suggested Change(s):
Chlorophyte Saber:

Increase damage from 57 to 61
Decrease use time from 16 to 15
Projectile now inflicts poison
Tooltip now states "Shoots a toxic spore cloud"

Chlorophyte Claymore:
Decrease use time from 26 to 24

Chlorophyte Partisan:
Increase damage from 49 to 61
Decrease use time from 23 to 22
Projectile now spawns earlier and closer to the player
Projectile now inflicts poison
Tooltip now states "Shoots a toxic spore cloud"

- With True Excalibur and True Night's Edge on the same tier these serve little purpose now, making them at least comparable would be nice.

Suggested Change(s):
Now only stops being active if hit by another player with another jousting lance

- Jousting Lances are awkward, they probably aren't meant to be intuitive but to have them un-deploy after getting hit goes against pretty much everything else in the game.
Make it players only, so you can still host a jousting tourney but don't have to worry about losing your charge from a stray slime or something.

Suggested Change(s):
Lightning Aura Cane:

Increase damage from 11 to 18

Lightning Aura Staff:
Increase damage from 34 to 35

Flameburst Cane:
Increase damage from 42 to 51

Flameburst Staff:
Increase damage from 88 to 97

Ballista Cane:
Increase damage from 67 to 73

Explosive Trap Cane:
Increase damage from 59 to 70

Explosive Trap Staff:
Increase damage from 126 to 134

- For post mech-boss weapons the tier two Old One's sentries feel underpowered, and tier three's often struggle to keep up with the Ballista's set bonus. Explosive Trap seems to lag behind more than the rest.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase Velocity from 14 to 19

- In retrospect, I didn't really explain why I didn't like this thing(Mostly salt from a pure summoner playthrough). It's not exactly bad, it's just not very good either. It suffers from really short range, with projectiles that are greatly affected by gravity, they linger for a bit afterwards but that doesn't really help too much. You really have to go out of your way to use it, constantly repositioning the sentry causing it to undergo a cooldown state(See Houndius Shootius) or hugging around the sentry just so it can get a clean shot.
It's better than nothing, at least.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 130 to 150

- Despite being post-Plantera, the Flower Pow barely beats out the Drippler Crippler, a Pre-mech boss flail, in damage, it just needs a little boost to help it compete with other melees.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 35 to 50
Now inflicts hellfire instead of on fire

Elf Melter:

Suggested Change(s):

Increase damage from 60 to 100
Now inflicts hellfire instead of on fire

- It's no secret that the flamethrowers have been living in the shadow of their competitors since they came out, they lack the damage output to compensate for the range they lose over other options. They're not even the best at crowd control because of the various ammo types regular guns have. It's rather sad...

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 31 to 42
Increase knockback from 0 to 0.1
Decrease mana cost from 10 to 8
Increase max enemies pierced from 3 to 4

- Plantera's worst drop, easily. It's lacking on all fronts, damage, knockback, mana consumption, the wasps are a little on the slow side too. That can stay, I guess. As long as everything else gets buffed.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 44 to 52
Increase velocity from 10 to 13
Increase max enemies pierced from 2 to 4

- While not bad per say, the Candy Corn Rifle is rendered obsolete by the Stake Launcher, which is also found in the pumpkin moon event, and is restricted neither by gravity nor number of enemies pierced, with superior damage to boot.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 65 to 80
Increase velocity from 7 to 9
Increase blast radius of Explosive Jack 'O Lanterns

- The Jack 'O Lantern Launcher is a mediocre explosive weapon held back by it's ammo. With middling damage, as well as poor range due to low velocity projectiles, it just doesn't really have a huge amount going for it. At least ammo is cheap.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 45 to 55
Decrease use time from 30 to 28

- The Rocket Launcher feels really underwhelming. Even with double damage on a direct hit the grenade launcher does just as fair if not better. More damage pls.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 67 to 70

- Almost really good, Just needs a bit more damage.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 85 to 92

- Yet another explosive weapon with slightly below average DPS, I'm starting to sense a pattern here.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 45 to 47

- Just a little bit more DMG so it can keep up with all the other explosive weapons I've just buffed.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 45 to 50

- Needs more damage to keep up with the other explosive weapons and the other martian weapons.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 46 to 51
Decrease mana cost from 30 to 17
Now inflicts poison, it is a toxic flask after all
Now has autofire

- 30 mana cost is very punishing for a hard to use weapon like this. It's got potential, but requires very large crowds to be worth it. Autofire and a slashed mana cost should make it really good, actually.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 120 to 130
Greatly increase velocity of sparks

- The Butcher's Chainsaw suffers from the same situation as the Candy Corn Rifle, it's not bad, but there's a weapon that's just objectively better in the same event, the sparks effect is barely even noticeable, maybe increasing the range of the sparks will make them more impactful? A little bird told me about giving it global immunity, whatever that means.
I'm sure it means making a weapon really good or something.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 85 to 86(hehe)
Stealth mode is now activated and deactivated manually by double tapping the armor set bonus key like Vortex Armor, stealth mode is still lost automatically under the same conditions

- The Psycho Knife's stealth mode is potentially very powerful but is too slow to be very practical in it's current state, the ability to manually activate it would turn it from a gimmick to a powerful ability, giving it an even higher risk reward factor on an already high risk high reward weapon. Which would be fun.

Suggested Change(s):
Decrease use time from 30 to 29
Decrease mana cost from 18 to 14
Increase velocity from 8 to 9
Now has autoswing

- Don't know why this couldn't have autofire, autoswing? Whatever it's called. Anyways, this magic item tends to be a lil' light on power, give it a bit of sauce.

Suggested Change(s):
Increase damage from 85 to 90
Decrease use time from 20 to 18

- The Keybrand does too little damage to justify using it over the Psycho Knife, plain and simple. If it did notably more than the Psycho Knife on low health targets then it would be worth using.

Suggested Change(s):
Decrease use time from 36 to 35
Increase critical chance from 29% to 31%
Now has autofire

- The Sniper Rifle needs a great deal of investment into highly specialized builds to compete with more straightforward options like the Chain Gun and Xenopopper,. With how punishing missing is, it's generally just too hard to use for a normal playthrough. A little bit more crit will go a long way to make this devastating without having to wear so many crit boosting accessories. Also autofire would be nice, considering every other gun at this point has that.

Accessories:

Suggested Change(s):
Aglet:

Increase move speed bonus from 5% to 10%

- The Aglet is extremely weak even for a starting accessory, more move speed early game couldn't hurt.

Anklet of The Wind:
Increase move speed bonus from 10% to 20%
Acceleration and deceleration is increased by 50% while equipped

- Magiluminescence makes this accessory a glorified crafting material, even more than it already is at least.

Lightning Boots(And upgrades):
Increase base speed from 34 MPH to 37 MPH
Acceleration and deceleration is increased by 50% while equipped

- Lightning boots have been power crept by Amphibian Boots. And honestly? The 4 MPH boost the lightning boots gave over Hermes Boots always felt a little unimpactful, and every upgrade after that is pretty much quality of life, these buffs might make them more worth using over their froggy counterpart.

Suggested Change(s):
No longer has a cooldown between gravity flips
Now increases max fall speed by 25%

- Remember this thing? probably not. It's pretty much just a novelty post-Moon Lord accessory, A unique effect might make it at least slightly appealing?

Armor:

Suggested Change(s):
Set bonus now gives a boost to whips maybe?
Maybe the set could give summons life steal? Just a tiny bit of course.
Maybe taking damage could give a damage bonus to all minions for a short time, wrath of nature and such

- Tiki Armor is in a bad spot, I know it needs something, it's lacking right now and needs a boost to compete with Hallowed, I just don't know what that something is.

Tier Changes I guess?:​

Hardmode Weapons:

Suggested Change(s):
Increase use time from 20 to 23
Now crafted from iron/lead bars souls of fright and Chlorophyte

- Currently, Explosive weapons feel densely packed. With a large selection at the start of the game, one more unlocked after queen bee, then nothing at all until after Plantera.
Pushing the Grenade launcher back to post mechs might help spread it out a bit, right now you can only craft one weapon exclusively with souls of fright. This would bring it up to two.
All of Plantera's drops are either directly connected to Plantera, or connected to the jungle aesthetic. The Grenade Launcher sticks out in this regard with no connection other than a little bit of green. I don't know, I think It might work. Would help with the crowded loot pool, and getting Cyborg.

Nerfs(Yes there was only one I could bother with at this point my brain is smooth):​

Accessories:

Suggested Change(s):
Decrease ascent speed bonus from 48% to 10%
Acceleration bonus now only applies to flying and falling, reduce the bonus, however much it is

- This thing is a can of worms, there's so much you can do with infinite flight. But, that's not why it's here, for the most part, It's here because of how much more it does than just infinite flight. Let's start with it's misleading tooltip, in it. It states it gives increased flight and jump mobility. This is true, but inaccurate. What it actually does is give you greatly increased acceleration on your jumping, flying, walking, and even falling. No other accessory gives you falling acceleration, these buffs are substantial too, and immediately noticeable if you equip just the Insignia, it also increases your move speed by about 2 MPH, which works like most other move speed increases. Next, stacking with Amphibian Boots. I've done some basic testing with a few sets of wings, here are my results.
All tests were conducted in-game with no move speed increasing modifiers or accessories other than the Soaring Insignia & Amphibian Boots, diagonal speeds are taken from a standstill for non infinite flight tests, numbers acquired from in-game stopwatch accessory and may be inaccurate:

Angel/Demon Wings​

Steampunk Wings​

Jetpack​

Max Speed Vertically​

38 MPH​

46 MPH​

38 MPH​

Max Speed Diagonally​

47 MPH​

59 MPH​

50 MPH​

Max Vertical Speed W/Accent Speed Boost,​

If Applicable​

N/A​

N/A​

70 MPH​

Max Speed Vertically:​

Insignia​

57 MPH​

68 MPH​

57 MPH​

Max Speed Diagonally:​

Insignia​

65 MPH​

78 MPH​

66 MPH​

Max Vertical Speed W/Accent Speed Boost:​

Insignia​

N/A​

N/A​

114 MPH​

Max Speed Vertically:​

Insignia + Boots​

75 MPH​

91 MPH​

75 MPH​

Max Speed Diagonally:​

Insignia + Boots​

82 MPH​

98 MPH​

82 MPH​

Max Vertical Speed W/Accent Speed Boost:​

Insignia + Boots​

N/A​

N/A​

150 MPH​

Now, you may be thinking, "Why these wings in particular?" Well it's because I'm lazy and these are the wings I had on hand at the time, but also to give a measure on how effective a set of early hardmode wings like Demon Wings is compared to a set of late hardmode wings like the Steampunk wings. Keep in mind these aren't even the best wings in the tier they're in.
Standing out in particular is the Jetpack, normally the faster ascent speed barely goes to 70 MPH before running out of fuel, with infinite flight such weaknesses are negated.
Allowing triple digit flight speed on post one-mech wings! Incredible, other move speed accessories don't even compare. How could they? Master Ninja gear is good, but why bother grinding when you can get a 100% drop with so much more to offer than just a dash. Dashing gives better horizontal direction swapping but not better horizontal speed, even with just Insignia your mobility on average will be better than Master Ninja Gear's dashes, I've already shown how crazy Insignia + Boots is, it gets even crazier if you use a slime mount to fall faster, you can use your grappling hook to supplement direction swapping anyway, I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

Soaring Insignia is the best non-wing mobility accessory in the game, without question.
While you don't necessarily need it, you can beat the game just fine without it, you can forgo movement accessories entirely stack damage and use a mount and still be able to dodge every attack if you are skilled enough.
But that doesn't change that if you need a movement accessory, any movement accessory after your wings, this will always be the most optimal choice,
other movement accessories may be picked, but this will always be the best first choice. Yes, better than boots.
Even with just Demon Wings tapping the jump key to hover around the ground is about 40 MPH, faster than Lightning boots 34 MPH.
I Think that's enough for now...

Misc Changes that probably won't happen:

Just For Fun Change(s):
Now fires six bullets in quick succession similar to the clockwork assault rifle
Now a post boss weapon instead of post shadow orb/crimson heart
This change would likely be a balancing nightmare

- This one is totally just a for fun idea that I think would be cool, the clockwork assault rifle is really neat and I wish there were more weapons like it. I just think this would be awesome, to have it be like you're fanning the hammer on the thing like a gunslinger in an old spaghetti western! This is probably just the revolver fan in me talking but hey, I can dream, right?

Just For Fun Change(s):
Now fires six bullets in quick succession similar to the clockwork assault rifle
This change would likely be even more of a balancing nightmare

- Same Idea as the Revolver, I dunno, It's not a bad weapon by any means but it's a low use time gun with no autofire so almost nobody uses it, would be cool.
Not gonna happen but it would be cool.

Suggested Change(s):
The Traveling Merchant is now guaranteed to have at least one Random weapon or non-cosmetic accessory in His shop pool

- The Traveling Merchant has a plethora of interesting items to sell, but hardly any ever get to see the light of due to how rare they are. If at least one of them is guaranteed to show up every time, they would see more use, and you would always have something to look forward to when the Traveling Merchant arrives.

No seriously:
Why?
100 mini nukes per shroomite bar is pretty pricey for some explosive radius and a damage upgrade of ten
Cluster rocket 1s are 7.5 silver, like 75 gold for a stack!
Dry rockets are fifty silver! W H A T?
Rockets also don't have an item for infinite basic rockets like guns and bows do, which feels weird.

Well then.

I think my brain has smoothened enough for now.

It's hard to be creative when a lot of this just boils to "This needs more damage." Hopefully this wasn't too boring to read.

Why did I write all this again?

Last edited:
It feels like the Grand Design is a little too easy to craft, which makes the individual wrenches kind of pointless. Both the Mechanic and the Goblin Tinkerer are obtained at around the same time, so by the time you get any of the Grand Design's ingredients, you can just buy them all and craft the final product.

The best way to fix this that I can think of is to push the Ruler back to hardmode, but then it would need a buff, and I don't know if there's any easy way to make it hardmode viable. Maybe with the biggest possible size buff, plus the ability to inflict confusion or something?

A separate idea I had for the Ruler was to give it the ability to "draw" squares on the screen when you hold click, in addition to being a weapon, similar to the way the Grand Design draws wires on the screen. The default ruler option's squares always start at your character, so letting the Ruler item draw its anywhere on the screen would make it an improved version. No idea if this is doable for the upcoming update though.

It feels like the Grand Design is a little too easy to craft, which makes the individual wrenches kind of pointless. Both the Mechanic and the Goblin Tinkerer are obtained at around the same time, so by the time you get any of the Grand Design's ingredients, you can just buy them all and craft the final product.
I don't really think something like convenience of placing and removing wires needs be gated to hardmode. You can get the stuff for big crafting trees in pre-hardmode like the Cell Phone and Terraspark Boots too. Not every maxed out tinkers accessory needs to be difficult to craft, some can just be one and done deals.
should use a mechanical ruler in its recipe instead of a normal ruler, since the ruler is a weapon now.
That makes sense, the Mechanical Ruler has a unique effect of making a grid appear on the screen whenever it's in the inventory that can be turned on and off, transferring that over to the Grand design would be convenient.

I don't really think something like convenience of placing and removing wires needs be gated to hardmode. You can get the stuff for big crafting trees in pre-hardmode like the Cell Phone and Terraspark Boots too. Not every maxed out tinkers accessory needs to be difficult to craft, some can just be one and done deals.

That makes sense, the Mechanical Ruler has a unique effect of making a grid appear on the screen whenever it's in the inventory that can be turned on and off, transferring that over to the Grand design would be convenient.
The problem is that it makes the wrenches useless except as ingredients. Since the Mechanic is already post-Skeletron, hardmode is just the next progression step.

Also the wrenches are already really good even on their own, they have a whopping +20 range. They'll just take up more inventory slots until you can combine them.

The problem is that it makes the wrenches useless except as ingredients. Since the Mechanic is already post-Skeletron, hardmode is just the next progression step.

Also the wrenches are already really good even on their own, they have a whopping +20 range. They'll just take up more inventory slots until you can combine them.
I don't mean to sound rude, but you know the Multicolor Wrench exists, right? The Grand design is just a Multicolor Wrench with the ability to place and remove multiple wires at once,
with some wire visibility on the side. Not much more, really.

The best way to fix this that I can think of is to push the Ruler back to hardmode, but then it would need a buff, and I don't know if there's any easy way to make it hardmode viable. Maybe with the biggest possible size buff, plus the ability to inflict confusion or something?
i feel like since the amount of players this change would affect is so miniscule, and all it does is remove convenience for those players, i don't think it's worth doing.

i feel like it's safe to say that the majority of players who get significant usage out of the grand design either do a bunch of funky fun stuff with wiring, or they use it to set up teleporters in hardmode, post-mechs. the latter group, which i can only assume is larger, is unaffected. meanwhile the first group is just inconvenienced and annoyed.

besides, the individual wrenches are still useful when you're tight on cash. i know it's not common for a lot of players to be unable to afford just a bit over 12 gold, but it happens. especially on classic mode, where money isn't rolling in as much. i just don't see a good point to this.

On a topic of renewability of blocks.
Lihzahrd blocks should be crafted from solar tablet fragments at a Lihzahrd Furnace.
I've built a AFK farm in the temple for lihzard power cells. But I have a lot of leftover fragments and I don't need hundreds of solar tablets. So it would be nice If we could turn them into the blocks.

And I know that you would be able to craft them before golem but you still wouldn't be able to mine them just place them.
Otherwise you could add the beetle husks into the recipe so it would be after you've defeated golem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom