Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I've been thinking about this, and I still can't figure out why deerclops has the highest health scaling of any boss in the games. I mean, he has almost 6k more health then wall of flesh on master mode, and almost 3k more on expert, while he has 1k less (but still the second highest) health then wall of flesh on normal mode. Reducing it to 9,500 on expert and 12,000 on master mode would make him less of a sponge boss on these difficulties, which he already kind of is on normal mode itself.

I also recommend changing Chik to be crafted at an Iron/Lead Anvil instead of a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil. Hel-Fire and Amarok are statistically superior yoyos that are usually obtained earlier, and by the time you have a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil, you will have unlocked access to weapons a lot better than Chik.
The Chik has way higher velocity than any of the Hardmode yoyos, this velocity makes it bounce back to their target more often and increases its hit rate by quite a lot. With this it's actually the strongest out of all of them despite its low base damage.

Here are some tests done against the Twins to prove it, measuring the time needed to kill the boss in seconds.
1643322902471.png

Abour biome chests:
Removing badass and menacing "It has been cursed by a powerful Jungle creature" will give nothing. (Also It's really interesting to discover the actual reason of removing key molds from desktop version). Instead it could be much better to let biome key molds to arrive in pre-hardmode so there will be quite a lot time for grinding evil,desert, jungle and ice molds (Personally I found ice and jungle keys only once in my whole terrarian career, kek) Then use ectoplasm+hallowed bars for key making. BUT please do not add souls of mech bosses to craft recipe.

Equipment made from mineable materials like metal bars is usually inferior to what you can obtain from bosses and rare drops. I don't see anything inherently wrong with this, but I think it would be appropriate to reduce the amount of materials needed to craft them so they won't be seen as a total waste. I recommend reducing the crafting costs of the following items:

-all pre-Hardmode metal armors
-Hardmode metal swords and spears (up to Chlorophyte)
-Phasesabers

I also recommend changing Chik to be crafted at an Iron/Lead Anvil instead of a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil. Hel-Fire and Amarok are statistically superior yoyos that are usually obtained earlier, and by the time you have a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil, you will have unlocked access to weapons a lot better than Chik.

I've seen a number of people mention reducing the cost of Phasesabers, and that is definitely something I'm looking into, though I'm not sure about further reduction to ore gear, as it has already had some reductions.

I would give Chik another try; it's base stats don't necessarily reflect its actual performance, due to some yoyo-related bouncing mechanics which vary from yoyo to yoyo.

You know, I've been thinking about this, and I still can't figure out why deerclops has the highest health scaling of any boss in the games. I mean, he has almost 6k more health then wall of flesh on master mode, and almost 3k more on expert, while he has 1k less (but still the second highest) health then wall of flesh on normal mode. Reducing it to 9,500 on expert and 12,000 on master mode would make him less of a sponge boss on these difficulties, which he already kind of is on normal mode itself.

That's an oversight/bug and will be fixed in the next version.

This is a question I've had for a long time:

Why Kraken isn't a Duke Fishron drop?
Makes sense, plus the official Wiki says that Kraken has the same color scheme as Duke Fishron.

whoa where did all these pages come from

I'd like to second the sentiment about Biome Keys and how annoying they are to use compared to old Key Molds now.

Would it be possible to have them just be un-cursed on a per-character basis instead of a per-world basis? That way we get the appeal of Key Molds back (being able to use them on new worlds) and allow mass harvesting of Biome chests while still requiring a Plantera kill.

That's an oversight/bug and will be fixed in the next version.
Damage scaling also isn't fixed; the other pre-hardmode bosses do < 2x damage in Expert (like 30->54) and < 3x in master, but Deerclops is a straight-up 1x,2x,3x damage. This might be one reason why the classical fight feels almost trivial with good armor while the master fight is really hard.

(edit: actually, Wall of flesh has parts with 1x,2x,3x damage and other parts with much HIGHER scaling, so I guess I'm off here)

Last edited by a moderator:
Biome Keys are only usable after defeating Planter anyway, but they also have a very small chance of being acquired.
I wonder if there is a chance that biome keys might be available for loot throughout the all game? In a sense, even getting them in pre-Hardmode (where players spend a lot more time exploring the other biomes) won't spoil the progression.

Besides, it would make sense, since the chests have existed since the beginning of the creation of the world, so the keys should also be obtainable from the beginning.

I have a decent few QOL suggestions on my mind.

-Currently, trying to summon more Minions after reaching max just resummons the highest slot over and over. This means the same minion gets replaced, so you can only replace whatever slot you casted last. Ideally, they would cycle through slots, so you’d resummon to 1-2-3 etc.

-Items dropped in walls and off the map should be pushed toward the player. I’ve lost a good number of Souls of Flight to Wyverns hugging the top of the map, and worm drops are a bit annoying to pick up.

-Biome Mimic keys cost a little too much for effectively playing the lottery. 15 souls takes a while to get, and you’d need on average 75
to get a specific item from Corruption or Crimson Mimics. Their material cost could be reduced, maybe to 10 or so.

-Wall of Flesh’s tongue should probably pull you faster. It was fine in Normal Mode, but in expert it’s basically a death sentence as you get held on or right in front of the wall and torn apart immediately.

-Common suggestion, but minions should really be able to target dummies by prompt. It’s currently impractical to try to toy with a minion on a dummy. Perhaps it should follow the staff right click - this feature is rarely used anyway, and it would allow you to direct a minion to a dummy without dummies stealing minions during combat.

-Teleport noise is really shrill and ear piercing, and I’ve seen at least one other person who agrees. I don’t know if sound replacements is realistic here, so the next best option is a volume reduction.

-Could Halloween skeletons be a bit more common? These guys are one of the problem-children with full Bestiary completion, because they *basically never spawn* in Hardmode and activating a temporary Halloween is quite impractical.

-Razorpine projectiles are really dark and it’s actually hard to use at night. I wouldn’t complain about a bit of glow overlay on them like Everscream needles.

-Candles need to be placeable on floors, and I’ll just leave it at that.

-Items dropped in walls and off the map should be pushed toward the player. I’ve lost a good number of Souls of Flight to Wyverns hugging the top of the map, and worm drops are a bit annoying to pick up.
There is a Treasure Magnet accessoire that helps you to get items that are out of reach. Those are in shadow chests since 1.4

Nerf summon damage addition of all summoner armor,and buff them with addition of whips.
Nerf defenses of ranger armor, it's the most powerful class of this game now.
Move Blade Staff to Hallowed Mimics.
Nerf whip addition of Obsidian Armor.
Starfury's projectiles should be able to pierce the platforms
The range of pre-mech bosses yoyos should be increased.
Increase the drop rate of Demon Scythe.
Introduce some more projectiles to pre-mech bosses melee weapons.
Buff Chlorophyte Armor and Chlorophyte Melee Weapons.
Buff AI of most minions(Optics,Pirate,Pygmy).
Increase the drop rate of biome keys.
Increase defense of melee armor,it's the only advantage of melee class now.

Last edited:
Nerf summon damage addition of all summoner armor,and buff them with addition of whips.
Summoner deserves incredible power because it has the lowest armor in the game.
Nerf defenses of ranger armor, it's the most powerful class of this game now.
Melee is twice as strong and ranged armors have some of the worst set bonuses in the game, mainly the ones that require you to stand completely still.
Nerf whip addition of Obsidian Armor.
I don't get what everyone's obsession with this pre-hardmode armor is, it's only useful of you want to focus on whips over summons, it's just a fun novelty armor.

I don't get what everyone's obsession with this pre-hardmode armor is, it's only useful of you want to focus on whips over summons, it's just a fun novelty armor.
Obsidian Armor is literally the best armor set in the game and is infamous for being consistently very strong if not sometimes overpowered throughout the entire game the moment you obtain it, including Empress of Light and the pillars.

It's a Pre-Hardmode armor set with the numbers 31, 35 and 50 visible on it. It's summon damage alone (31) is higher than both Spider and Tiki armor.

Actually,the Obsidian Armor is one of the most powerful summoner armors until the player get Stardust Armor.
I've done some tests about Spooky Armor,Tiki Armor,Spider Armor and Obsidian Armor and made some videos about them.
The result is that the DPS of Obsidian Armor and Spooky Armor are very close, when you use some earlier staffs like Blade or Saguine, the DPS of Obsidian can even exceed that of Spooky, don't you think it's a extremly OP armor?
Here's a link of my video:
a video about 4 summoner armors
I'm a Chinese and I think I have to do some explain about this."蜘蛛" means Spider,"提基" means Tiki,"阴森" means Spooky and "黑曜石" means Obsidian.
Another video of mine can express how little the gap between Spooky and Obsidian is:
another video
When you use Cell,Dragon or Terraprism,the DPS of Spooky can exceed Obsidian,but very little.

All in all,Obsidian Armor is overpowered,it must be nerfed.

Melee is twice as strong and ranged armors have some of the worst set bonuses in the game, mainly the ones that require you to stand completely still.
Even if the bonus of Shroomite didn't work, the DPS of ranger is still MUCH HIGHER than other 3 classes.
Here's some data:
Ranger with Phantasm and Ichor Arrow can kill Master ML in 50 seconds.
Magic with Nebula Blaze can kill MML in 80 seconds.
Melee with Daybreak can kill MML in 70 seconds.
Summoner with Dragon and several whips can also kill MML in 50 seconds.
Ranger and Summoner both have the highest dps in the game, WHY CAN RANGER HAVE THE SECOND HIGHEST DEFENSE AND SUMMONER CAN ONLY BE THE LAST?
Another reason is that:Summoner and Melee must be close to enemy to hit them,but ranger and magic can hit them over 1 to 2 screens!Do you really think it's reasonable?

Last edited:
Does anyone mentioned that evil seeds dropped by eye of cthulhu are completely useless?! What about replacing them with seeds of opposite evil?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom