Journey's End Vanity Contest - Finalists & Voting Instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My picks would be swamp horror, tv head, and the time traveler one (in no order) All of the entries have been amazing, and I guess we’ll see who wins. At least the top three will all make it in!

Great to see all of the amazing submissions! It was hard to even vote for a top 10, let alone a top 3. Congratulations to the finalists, and best of luck!

It has been a while since I started becoming active with this community again, but all of these submissions are flowing to the brim with creativity!

I am personally voting for
Cyber Angel
Plaguebringer
and
Floret Protector
...but all of these submissions are worthy of being finalists as well. Great work everyone!
Yes, Cyber Angle is also my first choice, I think its great. Plaguebringer was my third.

Not going to lie. I'm extremely disappointed. Yes, I'm disappointed I'm not in there, but it goes beyond that. Just so none of you can hold my honest unfiltered and objective perceptions against me for airing them out in the open and being overly 'negative', I've put my main thoughts in a spoiler.

TL;DR?

There's lots of bias and breaking of themes across the 8 year almost 9 years worth of history of the game. And the behavior of the community is why I distance myself from it and don't feel welcome. There is zero room for objectivity, and so many of the entries just break everything you've set up prior or look better than your own developer sets. This was basically an art contest, and 90% of the pixel artists who only do that and knew you would take creative liberties got shafted in this contest. As well as most of what you picked are just alternative versions to something we already have in game, or can be accomplished mixing and matching vanity sets and dyes.

You guys say you went through all the entries, and in truth you might have. But you clearly cherry picked from the art. The only submissions you picked that don't have some fancy artwork accompanying them and are purely pixel are one that is a nice clean layout done in photoshop, and one that looks disturbingly similar to some of the sets we have already. I'm looking at you, guy that looks like a fusion of Specter and Nebula sets.

I find it hard to congratulate the winners when most of them basically won out on being a vote through just being an artist in the first place. There's not even that level of bias on the community threads that pick the 'best art' per month for showcase.

I'm extremely disappointed in the non-objective approach to the selection. So many of these are either something already in the game in one form or another able to be accomplished through mixing and matching vanity set pieces, or have plenty of things that don't fit the established Terraria style you guys have set up. Hell, some of these are more fancy than your own developer sets.

Nice to know that all we had to do was literally do something that looks better than your own developer sets, slap in some art, and call it a day. Some of us tried to respect the fact that, hey, you probably wouldn't pick things that look like either a 13 year old's wet dream or looked better than your own sets--not that every picked set does but most of them do. Also, most vanity sets have zero animations to them as possible, so some of us figured 'hey, they probably won't appreciate too much extra animation'.

This was a gigantic waste of my time, and the time of everyone who can't or wouldn't do some fancy art or layout to go with things. Not to mention how you openly stated that you would take your own liberties with the designs, which already are some red flags to some artists.Why have us even contribute if you're just going to pick the artists? Why even call it a contest and not an art contest?

This is why I left this community, both in Discord and basically here. You take a game I love of your craft,treat the design of it one way, and then the community is a complete joke made up of babies who need their edge because the word 'cancer' is too intense. I half expect my legitimate complaint towards you all to be scrubbed from the internet and me to get in trouble because I was completely honest and upfront.

So I'm not voting. I legitimately do not care which one of these gets into the game. I'll just find out how to do mods and add my own set myself in the future rather than have on the 13th rendition of a plague doctor but this time with fancy animations.

But by far the worst feeling? Knowing you would do this. I had the feeling you would cherry pick from the art and not even look at those of us that went purely pixel for more than one entry. Hell, that one or two entries without super fancy things were probably picked out because you knew just picking from the art was extremely unfair.

You can call it 'being negative' or 'trying to cause problems' all you like, but it's not. I'm also fairly sure that a bunch of these are within the first 20 tabs of submissions or so. I expected you to have reason and maintain a certain style and quality you have chosen for the game, when just about every set in there you've picked completely flies in the face of any previous theme or visual style when it comes to a vanity set.

Waste of my time and the time of everyone who made efforts to keep within that style and theme; thanks for having zero patterns and just doing what you like no matter what you did in the 8 years prior with the game. I wouldn't be surprised if you picked what's easiest to sell merch with.

I love Terraria, but I know I can love this game without loving the people who made it or the community that comes with it. This is why I distance myself from you all, and why I feel you're not worth my 100%. You don't give 100%, so you don't get 100%. The people who do are probably brown nosing, or don't see the track record with Terraria's community as a whole.

So, I ain't votin'. I don't care which one of these gets in. I specifically stay out of the community at large despite having 3000+ hours in the game just because this is how people are treated and how ideas are treated, no matter how good or sound, no matter from who. If it's not from a dev, an influencer, or someone that can draw pretty pictures, you'll just do as you please in every instance. Even nearly 9 years of established theme and style isn't safe, based upon some of these entries.

Ugh. I just don't feel welcome in this community at all. You show one sliver of negativity, and suddenly you're branded villain. Some of my words might seem harsh, but they're entirely out of love for the game, and disappointment that so much more could be done.

Edit: I went back and read some of the posts involved. And the 'we tried not to be bias' is a hell of a load. 90% of these, based on what I've seen out of Cenx, are what Cenx would personally pick sometimes. And from the wide range of dev sets, it's clear that Cenx isn't the opinion of the vast majority of the crew. Look, I'm sorry that this is rather negative about things, but after watching from afar and having 3000+ hours in the game, there's certain things that stand out bright as day to me. And yeah, some of them are some ugly opinions and objective theories about the game. But that doesn't make them any less sound of a conclusion to reach.

daww mine didnt get in:(. had a ton of fun though! I personally like the wyvern rider, but any of these can pass off as an awesome vanity. Good luck to all those who made it in the finals!

All of these are cool as a set, but I decided to think about how individual pieces from certain sets could potentially be used together with other vanity items in the game or on their own.

The Traveler - The backpack is great for cosplaying characters from games like Uncharted or post-apocalyptic survival games.

Forest Druid - Wooden twig horns could be used like a flower crown in other vanities. The lantern staff would be useful for characters that hold staves/lanterns, like Jax or Gandalf.

Capricorn - Lizard face with pretty horns for dragon cosplay.

Plaguebringer's Robes - The goat skull head could join the Moon Lord Mask as another helmet that can be used for lovecraftian cosplays.

Swamp Horror - Another great helmet piece for lovecraftian cosplays.

Cyber Angel - That halo can be used for pretty much any futuristic vanity theme. Don't know what helmet to use after picking your chest/pants slot vanity? Just wear the halo.

Witch's Void - Great stylized witch hat for mages that want to be creepy and mysterious.

Magic Grill Megashark - Shark head for a shark cosplay. The skirts for a japanese schoolgirl cosplay.

Crystal Bard - Assassin's creed hood.

Wandering Ronin - Raiden from Mortal Kombat. That helmet fits with pretty much any samurai/monk/assassin cosplay.

Slime Queen - That mini-crown would fit really well with cosplays that focus on dresses or other fancy fabrics.

TV Head - No specific character in mind, but a TV head could potentially generate some silly ideas. Edit: THE SUIT HAS A TIE, AND IT'S NOT A BOW TIE

Containment Suit - A Mysterio cosplay that finally doesn't need the slime mask, and the chest piece could be for a Darth Vader cosplay if only there was an appropriate helmet to go with it.

Last edited:
TV Head - No specific character in mind, but a TV head could potentially generate some silly ideas.
The suit jacket alone can be used to make Lupin the third, any of the payday gang, john wick... pretty much anybody with an open jacket and tie. Also if anybody ever makes a Canti outfit with the tv head they win the award for 'tightest king of radness'.

I'm also fairly sure that a bunch of these are within the first 20 tabs of submissions or so.

Our 25 finalists came from, in page order:

Page 11, 16, 46, 59, 75, 81, 112, 121, 124, 127, 128, 133, 172, 181, 199, 240, 244, 252, 257, 271, 274, 276, 310, 317, 327.

Our mean entry page was 174, out of 352. Only 2 entries in the first 20 pages, and only 6 in the first 100.

Please check your facts on your accusations. As one of the people who personally reviewed every. single. entry, AND participated in voting on the finalists from our semi-finalist list, and made my best effort to be as unbiased as possible and select what I felt the community would like, I would appreciate it.

The suit jacket alone can be used to make Lupin the third, any of the payday gang, john wick... pretty much anybody with an open jacket and tie. Also if anybody ever makes a Canti outfit with the tv head they win the award for 'tightest king of radness'.
I completely forgot about the suit. The game has a lot of formal wear like the tuxedo set or the doctor's set, but I've always been disappointed when I tried to use them in vanities because the dyes just don't work well with them, and worst of all, they have bow ties instead of regular ties. The TV Head's suit would sate that bit of disappointment perfectly.

I completely forgot about the suit. The game has a lot of formal wear like the tuxedo set or the doctor's set, but I've always been disappointed when I tried to use them in vanities because the dyes just don't work well with them, and worst of all, they have bow ties instead of regular ties. The TV Head's suit would sate that bit of disappointment perfectly.
Yup. I designed the tv head and then realized that it was useable with literally anything, not just whatever outfit I attached to it, so I figured I needed to make the rest of the outfit just as versatile. I want to see people have their pool of potential vanity pieces expanded, because building your own outfits is always more fun than using a canned one~

This was a gigantic waste of my time, and the time of everyone who can't or wouldn't do some fancy art or layout to go with things. Not to mention how you openly stated that you would take your own liberties with the designs, which already are some red flags to some artists.Why have us even contribute if you're just going to pick the artists? Why even call it a contest and not an art contest?

Didn't the original post say that art is not required yet, some are seemingly picked due to the art? It's downright misleading! I went into keynote and made sub-par art just so I could put my idea across. Anyone could do that, yet they would be overlooked by the artists who deserve to get a vanity set just as much as we do. Now, I am not just salty that I didn't get in, I am still happy with some of these artists finalists. I just want to bring some attention to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom