Journey's End Vanity Contest - Finalists & Voting Instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing concept art or top notch sprite work was NOT required.

However, as in anything, presentation counts inasmuch as it clearly communicates your idea. That is how the world works. The "multi-entrant" categories are emblematic of this.

Echoing Lein, I too looked at every. single. entry. It literally took days to do this. So, your assumptions are just wrong. I'm sorry that you feel that way, truly, but its just not correct.

That said, and as I predicted, no matter what 25 were picked, people would be unhappy - but such is life.

Now, that said, how about we be happy and supportive of the finalists instead? :)

Outstanding 3 here , simple choice for me.
Plaguebringer's Robes theme and looks is the one that adapts the most to the feel of the game while being very well detailed. In other words its rich eye-candy that i could totally confuse with other sets already in the game. Top one for me , must have.

For second place i think the Timeless Traveler will be serve as a memento of the way this game ended , there to stay in the game and -for me- serve as a reminder of how all loved things should be - Timeless.
The spriting could do some work but its good enough and of course its style fits really well as is .

And third place the Swamp Horror , i like the quirky -almost funny- look it has , quite interesting. I picture it clutching its mouth closed and open as it walks.
Also it literally looks like it was made by the actual game artists and that's commendable.

Not going to lie. I'm extremely disappointed. Yes, I'm disappointed I'm not in there, but it goes beyond that. Just so none of you can hold my honest unfiltered and objective perceptions against me for airing them out in the open and being overly 'negative', I've put my main thoughts in a spoiler.

TL;DR?

There's lots of bias and breaking of themes across the 8 year almost 9 years worth of history of the game. And the behavior of the community is why I distance myself from it and don't feel welcome. There is zero room for objectivity, and so many of the entries just break everything you've set up prior or look better than your own developer sets. This was basically an art contest, and 90% of the pixel artists who only do that and knew you would take creative liberties got shafted in this contest. As well as most of what you picked are just alternative versions to something we already have in game, or can be accomplished mixing and matching vanity sets and dyes.

You guys say you went through all the entries, and in truth you might have. But you clearly cherry picked from the art. The only submissions you picked that don't have some fancy artwork accompanying them and are purely pixel are one that is a nice clean layout done in photoshop, and one that looks disturbingly similar to some of the sets we have already. I'm looking at you, guy that looks like a fusion of Specter and Nebula sets.

I find it hard to congratulate the winners when most of them basically won out on being a vote through just being an artist in the first place. There's not even that level of bias on the community threads that pick the 'best art' per month for showcase.

I'm extremely disappointed in the non-objective approach to the selection. So many of these are either something already in the game in one form or another able to be accomplished through mixing and matching vanity set pieces, or have plenty of things that don't fit the established Terraria style you guys have set up. Hell, some of these are more fancy than your own developer sets.

Nice to know that all we had to do was literally do something that looks better than your own developer sets, slap in some art, and call it a day. Some of us tried to respect the fact that, hey, you probably wouldn't pick things that look like either a 13 year old's wet dream or looked better than your own sets--not that every picked set does but most of them do. Also, most vanity sets have zero animations to them as possible, so some of us figured 'hey, they probably won't appreciate too much extra animation'.

This was a gigantic waste of my time, and the time of everyone who can't or wouldn't do some fancy art or layout to go with things. Not to mention how you openly stated that you would take your own liberties with the designs, which already are some red flags to some artists.Why have us even contribute if you're just going to pick the artists? Why even call it a contest and not an art contest?

This is why I left this community, both in Discord and basically here. You take a game I love of your craft,treat the design of it one way, and then the community is a complete joke made up of babies who need their edge because the word 'cancer' is too intense. I half expect my legitimate complaint towards you all to be scrubbed from the internet and me to get in trouble because I was completely honest and upfront.

So I'm not voting. I legitimately do not care which one of these gets into the game. I'll just find out how to do mods and add my own set myself in the future rather than have on the 13th rendition of a plague doctor but this time with fancy animations.

But by far the worst feeling? Knowing you would do this. I had the feeling you would cherry pick from the art and not even look at those of us that went purely pixel for more than one entry. Hell, that one or two entries without super fancy things were probably picked out because you knew just picking from the art was extremely unfair.

You can call it 'being negative' or 'trying to cause problems' all you like, but it's not. I'm also fairly sure that a bunch of these are within the first 20 tabs of submissions or so. I expected you to have reason and maintain a certain style and quality you have chosen for the game, when just about every set in there you've picked completely flies in the face of any previous theme or visual style when it comes to a vanity set.

Waste of my time and the time of everyone who made efforts to keep within that style and theme; thanks for having zero patterns and just doing what you like no matter what you did in the 8 years prior with the game. I wouldn't be surprised if you picked what's easiest to sell merch with.

I love Terraria, but I know I can love this game without loving the people who made it or the community that comes with it. This is why I distance myself from you all, and why I feel you're not worth my 100%. You don't give 100%, so you don't get 100%. The people who do are probably brown nosing, or don't see the track record with Terraria's community as a whole.

So, I ain't votin'. I don't care which one of these gets in. I specifically stay out of the community at large despite having 3000+ hours in the game just because this is how people are treated and how ideas are treated, no matter how good or sound, no matter from who. If it's not from a dev, an influencer, or someone that can draw pretty pictures, you'll just do as you please in every instance. Even nearly 9 years of established theme and style isn't safe, based upon some of these entries.

Ugh. I just don't feel welcome in this community at all. You show one sliver of negativity, and suddenly you're branded villain. Some of my words might seem harsh, but they're entirely out of love for the game, and disappointment that so much more could be done.

Edit: I went back and read some of the posts involved. And the 'we tried not to be bias' is a hell of a load. 90% of these, based on what I've seen out of Cenx, are what Cenx would personally pick sometimes. And from the wide range of dev sets, it's clear that Cenx isn't the opinion of the vast majority of the crew. Look, I'm sorry that this is rather negative about things, but after watching from afar and having 3000+ hours in the game, there's certain things that stand out bright as day to me. And yeah, some of them are some ugly opinions and objective theories about the game. But that doesn't make them any less sound of a conclusion to reach.

So you didn't get picked. Too bad, so sad. Your wild accusations are nothing but the transparent whining of someone who lost. This is evident by your rambling, ill-considered rant, random accusatory statements, and declaration that the mods would probably erase your post for your "honesty". If you'd been following the submissions thread like I have, you would know that they definitely didn't just skim the first 20 pages and call it a day. Their finalists can be found from all throughout the submission thread. Your outfit was pretty cool, and it's clear you put a lot of effort into it. However, it also breaks from the aesthetic of the game's existing sets, so it's a little hypocritical to complain about their finalist picks doing so. I don't agree with all of their picks either; I thought there were some submissions that were better than a couple of the ones here, but I'm overall pretty satisfied with this list.

Art is subjective, and when you have to pare down a list of thousands to a mere 25, there are going to be disagreements over which submissions trump others.

I also think it's extremely disrespectful to the finalists to say that most of them were only picked because they accompanied their pixel art submission with a piece of regular artwork, or submitted a drawing in place of a pixel piece. Regardless of how you submitted your design, it would have to be something that could be reduced to roughly a 25x45 sprite without losing its coherence. Therefore, I don't think it's really fair to say that they only chose based on that.

Your complaint about there being a lot of submissions that could have been made using existing armor and dyes is also nonsensical. You go right ahead and tell me which armors could be used to make the stuff that got chosen for the finalist positions.

tl;dr: Everybody who submitted something and didn't get picked is disappointed. But there were thousands of submissions, so don't be such a baby.

Hello everyone !

Congratulations to the 25 lucky finalists !
It was hard to make choices, but here is my selection, from first place to third one :

1st - Starlight Dream by @Golditale
2nd - Cyber Angel by @Rariaz
3rd - TV Head by @Dr.Zootsuit

Well, now that's done, I'd like to share with you a little bit of my feelings too ^-^

Of course, I'm a bit down, not getting a chance to be one of them, but the number of likes and positive things (above 60 atm) I had gave me hope I could never have alone (thank you, every single one of you for your likes/hearts/wows).
I knew, I could do another drawing/painting with nice and fancy touch, with more details and so on. Maybe it could had helped me to grab more attention !

I tried to not influence people, without posting any secondary comment or whatever outside the submission, in this forum or anywhere else, and I must admit I had to keep all of this for myself only.

Let's move on, and enjoy the next release from the development team !

Last edited:
I really liked Plaguebringer's Robes, if it wins that'd be awesome, but I felt like it was too similar to Crowno's set and the Ancient Cultist Mask, even though it is a cow skull or similar. Still love it though. Similar thing with the Timeless Traveler, love that one too still. I love Deep Diver's Disguise, TV Head, Bubblehead, also the Bugman and Floret Protector I think are great too.

Not going to lie. I'm extremely disappointed. Yes, I'm disappointed I'm not in there, but it goes beyond that. Just so none of you can hold my honest unfiltered and objective perceptions against me for airing them out in the open and being overly 'negative', I've put my main thoughts in a spoiler.

TL;DR?

There's lots of bias and breaking of themes across the 8 year almost 9 years worth of history of the game. And the behavior of the community is why I distance myself from it and don't feel welcome. There is zero room for objectivity, and so many of the entries just break everything you've set up prior or look better than your own developer sets. This was basically an art contest, and 90% of the pixel artists who only do that and knew you would take creative liberties got shafted in this contest. As well as most of what you picked are just alternative versions to something we already have in game, or can be accomplished mixing and matching vanity sets and dyes.

You guys say you went through all the entries, and in truth you might have. But you clearly cherry picked from the art. The only submissions you picked that don't have some fancy artwork accompanying them and are purely pixel are one that is a nice clean layout done in photoshop, and one that looks disturbingly similar to some of the sets we have already. I'm looking at you, guy that looks like a fusion of Specter and Nebula sets.

I find it hard to congratulate the winners when most of them basically won out on being a vote through just being an artist in the first place. There's not even that level of bias on the community threads that pick the 'best art' per month for showcase.

I'm extremely disappointed in the non-objective approach to the selection. So many of these are either something already in the game in one form or another able to be accomplished through mixing and matching vanity set pieces, or have plenty of things that don't fit the established Terraria style you guys have set up. Hell, some of these are more fancy than your own developer sets.

Nice to know that all we had to do was literally do something that looks better than your own developer sets, slap in some art, and call it a day. Some of us tried to respect the fact that, hey, you probably wouldn't pick things that look like either a 13 year old's wet dream or looked better than your own sets--not that every picked set does but most of them do. Also, most vanity sets have zero animations to them as possible, so some of us figured 'hey, they probably won't appreciate too much extra animation'.

This was a gigantic waste of my time, and the time of everyone who can't or wouldn't do some fancy art or layout to go with things. Not to mention how you openly stated that you would take your own liberties with the designs, which already are some red flags to some artists.Why have us even contribute if you're just going to pick the artists? Why even call it a contest and not an art contest?

This is why I left this community, both in Discord and basically here. You take a game I love of your craft,treat the design of it one way, and then the community is a complete joke made up of babies who need their edge because the word 'cancer' is too intense. I half expect my legitimate complaint towards you all to be scrubbed from the internet and me to get in trouble because I was completely honest and upfront.

So I'm not voting. I legitimately do not care which one of these gets into the game. I'll just find out how to do mods and add my own set myself in the future rather than have on the 13th rendition of a plague doctor but this time with fancy animations.

But by far the worst feeling? Knowing you would do this. I had the feeling you would cherry pick from the art and not even look at those of us that went purely pixel for more than one entry. Hell, that one or two entries without super fancy things were probably picked out because you knew just picking from the art was extremely unfair.

You can call it 'being negative' or 'trying to cause problems' all you like, but it's not. I'm also fairly sure that a bunch of these are within the first 20 tabs of submissions or so. I expected you to have reason and maintain a certain style and quality you have chosen for the game, when just about every set in there you've picked completely flies in the face of any previous theme or visual style when it comes to a vanity set.

Waste of my time and the time of everyone who made efforts to keep within that style and theme; thanks for having zero patterns and just doing what you like no matter what you did in the 8 years prior with the game. I wouldn't be surprised if you picked what's easiest to sell merch with.

I love Terraria, but I know I can love this game without loving the people who made it or the community that comes with it. This is why I distance myself from you all, and why I feel you're not worth my 100%. You don't give 100%, so you don't get 100%. The people who do are probably brown nosing, or don't see the track record with Terraria's community as a whole.

So, I ain't votin'. I don't care which one of these gets in. I specifically stay out of the community at large despite having 3000+ hours in the game just because this is how people are treated and how ideas are treated, no matter how good or sound, no matter from who. If it's not from a dev, an influencer, or someone that can draw pretty pictures, you'll just do as you please in every instance. Even nearly 9 years of established theme and style isn't safe, based upon some of these entries.

Ugh. I just don't feel welcome in this community at all. You show one sliver of negativity, and suddenly you're branded villain. Some of my words might seem harsh, but they're entirely out of love for the game, and disappointment that so much more could be done.

Edit: I went back and read some of the posts involved. And the 'we tried not to be bias' is a hell of a load. 90% of these, based on what I've seen out of Cenx, are what Cenx would personally pick sometimes. And from the wide range of dev sets, it's clear that Cenx isn't the opinion of the vast majority of the crew. Look, I'm sorry that this is rather negative about things, but after watching from afar and having 3000+ hours in the game, there's certain things that stand out bright as day to me. And yeah, some of them are some ugly opinions and objective theories about the game. But that doesn't make them any less sound of a conclusion to reach.

Real TL;DR: the contest was "unfairly biased" towards good artists with good looking sets.

The absolute GALL of Re-Logic.

It would be awesome if somebody made a mod with some of the better entries that don't make it into the game, because all of these are really good and I have been wanting a vanity mod for some time now.

To anyone who is frustrated about how things went down: take it as a learning experience. For some of us, this is our first time entering a contest. For others it may be their last. Many of us, however, may go on to enter more contests like this. Whether you're happy or sad about what happened its a chance for growth. Look at the winners, compare them to yours. Compare and contrast. What did they do differently that made them stand apart? What could you have done to achieve what they did? Take this opportunity and make the most of it by growing from your loss. There is a lot to learn from this competition and if you look at your loss from a positive standpoint instead of a negative one, your chance for success in future competitions will be greatly improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom