Journey's End Vanity Contest - Finalists & Voting Instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some aren't my favourite but I pesonaly see why those finalist were choosen, but
I know that peson worked very hard on it and put a lot of time in it, but entry of The Timeless Traveler by DisRicardo is basicaly totally overbaked idea, that it is (in my opinion) bad and doesn't fit the game because of the animations, ... is good but even potencialy bad.

To me choosing this one was huge mistake, to it seems like weird combination of Cultist Mask and Reaper Costume into one (not so unique) and should't stick to it animation of the vanity set.

I like idea of time themed vanity item, but this one doesn't speak to me even with given addiational images, like the badge one which was unnecessary in the end.

Time/Chronomancer themes or time manipulation are favourite in (some) RPG games.
I am sorry but that is what I see. There are more submission that are more worthy than this.

I personaly would like to make a mod for submissions and some some non_finalist vanity sets. There were a lot of them, it would be sad for so much sprites to be wasted.

You have a point. How many vanity sets in the game have constant animations besides some cloak wiggling while walking? Dont remember any.
And I kinda afraid many people gonna get dissapointed if they end up with vanity set that didnt match their expectaions in terms of animations and particle effects.
But if devs will make up timetraveler's set with intended animations everything said is pointless and set is a must be.

You have a point. How many vanity sets in the game have constant animations besides some cloak wiggling while walking? Dont remember any.
And I kinda afraid many people gonna get dissapointed if they end up with vanity set that didnt match their expectaions in terms of animations and particle effects.
But if devs will make up timetraveler's set with intended animations everything said is pointless and set is a must be.
That is one point, I think it could be a little bit possible, but at what cost? Time and ruining terraria astetisct too much, none of vanity items and armors are like that, that's what I meant.
Some think terraria alreyd have idle animation like With Arkhalis's Hood to have appearing and fading skull over time, but that one is made with simple sprite and magic of coding. Could be use for one part, but Arkhalis's set is unique but still simple and good/decend looking. I still stand behind my opinion that one is bad set to choose and it's animation is just overkill, ...

Last edited:
i kinda agree with a few people, it was a bad idea to let the community decide since they will go with the furries, plague doctors and more, there were many good ones that i assume been good in terraria but now we have to mod them in because everyone chose the cliché ones like cyber angel...……… but anyway

Good luck...……. I guess...……. View attachment 267568(insert worried emoticon from the hate that will occur upon people finding out their vote didn't win, please don't warn me.... its just a custom I can only use...)
I'm really sorry in advance! Usually I would just let everyone have their own point of view and not say anything

But today I feel like responding

I just wanted to mention that your opinion is super unbiased, points are solid and you formulated it very politely!
I'll go delete my submission now out of pure shame of making such a cringe job that nobody liked
I also encourage all the finalists to do the same
And maybe we can also delete Re-Logic while we at it, just to be sure

Hope this wasn't too toxic
Anyway, have a nice day, I know you didn't mean it, so I'm sorry again ;)

Thank you so much!
I mean, my Timeless Traveler kinda resembles the Cultist's attire and the Bubble Head resembles a fish bowl in the head slot... At least that's what some people say : )

I do have a point on this subject, but considering how much work people like you put into your entry, DisRicardo, don't delete it. You put a lot of work into it and (even though I might be a bigtime hippocrite on this for reasons I may elaborate in a followup post) I wouldn't throw it out just because something went wrong, you know? I have my own thoughts on the larger subject, but since it seems to be a delicate topic, I'm going to abstain unless people actually show they want to hear it, alright? I'm just wary of talking about it generally both out of personal anxiousness, and of how I saw someone call someone else to 'not be such a baby' when they brought out their own rant (when the fact of them losing was only the first part of that post, as flawed as other segments of their argument were). Don't blame me for wanting to be cautious here, alright?

The devs have mentioned before that you can't please everyone, and it continues to ring true! Our entries all reflect our own personal tastes, which of course are going to conflict with the tastes of some in such a large, passionate community. I aimed for simple but memorable, keeping in mind needing to transfer to pixel art in future, and I've been told that my design is boring/plain and that it has too many details! DisRicardo friend seems to have gone for an opposite approach, very indepth and flashy style which is super cool! That likely won't appeal to those who like more understated designs though.

And that's why voting is such an important stage! It lets everyone express their own opinions and gives as much variety as possible to the choices in the end. To insult the artists who put such time and love into their work for being unique, and the community at large for valuing things different to you - I think that's a disservice to everyone, really. Critique is always valuable, but just calling something terrible helps no one, so let's focus on constructive criticism and appreciation of what you do like, friends!

It is a pity that none of my friends' and mine's works are in the finals but the works which are finalists are wonderful and I hope that one day I will be able to send my works in terraria or the next game you will create.

I was a day late of posting an entry but I can still vote!! They're all amazing but I think all the one's to do with magic are the best, probs because the magic class is my favourite lol. Plus, if I did submit something, I would've been embarresed cause of how good everyone elses are!! btw, I think the way they did a contest to choose new vanity armour is great <Insert something random here>

Last edited:
I feel biased because i decided to not vote the ones without visible sprites since idk how they will look in game
But the shine bug... that'll be a yes for me dog
imo the ones without visible pixel art designs are somewhat better, if only because when ReLogic does them they'll be more likely to fit the game's style than one that's premade.

imo the ones without visible pixel art designs are somewhat better, if only because when ReLogic does them they'll be more likely to fit the game's style than one that's premade.
ReLogic stated in the original thread, designs are subject to change to fit the game, so even with premade pixel art, they can still edit it. Some of the ones without visible pixel art, I can't even imagine how they would look pixelized, whether made by ReLogic or otherwise.

i kinda agree with a few people, it was a bad idea to let the community decide since they will go with the furries, plague doctors and more, there were many good ones that i assume been good in terraria but now we have to mod them in because everyone chose the cliché ones like cyber angel...……… but anyway
I feel for the people who feel this way, but from the beginning only one could win, which means 99.99% of designs you like won't make it in officially. I personally really like designs like Bugman and Deep Diver's but for a celebration of Terraria's final major content update, it shouldn't be surprising that the big pretty and cool designs are the ones that people vote for. Surprised I didn't see many people discussing the Cosmic Terror. That one was my #1 pretty much immediately.

I'm not gonna lie, I was kinda disappointed to see that the winners will be decided by the community because, what? Afraid of some backlash or something because some people may have thought it wouldn't have been fair for everyone if it wasn't left up to the community? There's no way people would stop playing the game because of something like this. I really want to see something similar to the quality that you guys would have put into making costumes when Terraria was still being constantly updated over (a few honorable cringe mentions) the timeless traveller, dragon empress, slime queen, cyber angel, TV head or the wandering ronin. and I mean, the dragon empress, cyber angel and slime queen are female only outfits as far as I can see, wouldn't you prefer to be able to enjoy the same outfit as both genders with little to no changes in the design like every other cosmetic in the game thus far?

The devs were integral part of the desicion making for the winners of this contest and let the rest of the community have the last word because of what?.. well because the sets are for us the community, is a gift over a gift, developers don't have to do all this stuff like contest or patches, but they do because they love their game and the community.

About the quality of the costumes, i remind you that we contesters provide an idea and a concept, the execution and rendition will be done by developer's pixel artist so the end result will be top notch.

And finally i'll talk about the missundertanding that you have with my entry, i designed my set to be genderless, and choose to pick a famale (or could be a trap idk) like model to wear the set, my set have a coat not a dress, and i choose anime style because simple reasons thats the style that i enjoy drawing, that is a personal choise.

QnA of my entry:
a6VlLET.png

Last edited:
The devs were integral part of the desicion making for the winnes of this contest and let the rest of the community have the last word because of what?.. well because the sets are for us the community, is a gift over a gift, developers don't have to do all this stuff like contest or patches, but they do because they love their game and the community.

About the quality of the costumes, i remind you that we contesters provide an idea and a concept, the execution and rendition will be done by developer's pixel artist so the end result will be top notch.

And finally i'll talk about the missundertanding that you have with my entry, i designed my set to be genderless, and choose to pick a famale (or could be a trap idk) like model to wear the set, my set have a coat not a dress, and i choose anime style because simple reasons thats the style that i enjoy drawing, that is a personal choise.

QnA of my entry:
a6VlLET.png
thank you for classifying what other versions of the costume would look like. Looks awesome! :joy:

I do have a point on this subject, but considering how much work people like you put into your entry, DisRicardo, don't delete it. You put a lot of work into it and (even though I might be a bigtime hippocrite on this for reasons I may elaborate in a followup post) I wouldn't throw it out just because something went wrong, you know? I have my own thoughts on the larger subject, but since it seems to be a delicate topic, I'm going to abstain unless people actually show they want to hear it, alright? I'm just wary of talking about it generally both out of personal anxiousness, and of how I saw someone call someone else to 'not be such a baby' when they brought out their own rant (when the fact of them losing was only the first part of that post, as flawed as other segments of their argument were). Don't blame me for wanting to be cautious here, alright?
I am fairly confident DisRicardo was being sarcastic in their response. As a general remark, I don't think continuing that discussion in that particular style is in any way fruitful, so I think it would be best if it was just dropped from now on. Discussions like this are fine, but they do need to be held in good faith.

The devs were integral part of the desicion making for the winnes of this contest and let the rest of the community have the last word because of what?.. well because the sets are for us the community, is a gift over a gift, developers don't have to do all this stuff like contest or patches, but they do because they love their game and the community.

QnA of my entry:
a6VlLET.png
Your graphic design is super polished. I'm jealous of the production level~
That said, here's a fun question: What custom outfits could you see being made using pieces of your entry?

QnA of my entry:
Your set needs and deserves a matching rocket pack. It's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom