Journey's End Vanity Contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
(The other reason I'm worried is the general suspense; for now, the majority of us have to face the question that we probably won't win, we might- and for my case in particular, even though part of me dreams of being there as the surprise winner, the other part of me is fairly sure I'm doomed; if I'm to be stamped out of the contest, I'd rather know quickly so I can simmer down and not worry about it anymore, you know?)

i really hope that the winners are actually good submissions.
I’ve seen too many pewdiepies and memes

Eh, I think we're in good hands on that particular metric; the Terraria staff ruled against reference outfits in particular with the credo that if they have to ask permission from another source for a set, it's off the table, yeah? I'm honestly curious how many entries are stamped out by this clause alone, honestly! *Laughs*

Now that the whole submission thing is over, I am worried over how things are going to turn out. I worry that the community will pick only whichever ones have the best art rather than the costumes that mesh well with the content and themes already present in Terraria. See, with a lot of the submissions, no offense to anyone, I just think that they were made to satisfy whoever created them rather than being something that a lot of people will see in game and say "yeah, I want to wear that". I hope ReLogic chooses wisely with whatever they're picking, and so does the community with whatever people vote for most.
Of course, mods are always there if whatever you made doesn't make it in!
It's partly for that reason I wasn't really confident with my own entry; I had no ability to do pixel art, and my drawing skills are decent, but still nonetheless outmatched by the more capable artists out there- so my main hope is that my own concept and the thought I put into it will make a difference (even though I wouldn't be surprised if many people skip it for favor of another entry because much of the work in mine is about fleshing out the concept behind it rather than improving how it looks on the page, you know?).
Yeah... the reason why I made my entry a sort of futuristic alien suit is because I thought it would look really cool in the game and mix with other sets. The only issue is that theres hundreds of other submissions that look much, much more impressive and they drown out myself and many others. Theres always hope though, just gotta stay optimistic. Plus I'm sure that whatever sets are chosen will look really good IG anyways.

Yeah... the reason why I made my entry a sort of futuristic alien suit is because I thought it would look really cool in the game and mix with other sets. The only issue is that theres hundreds of other submissions that look much, much more impressive and they drown out myself and many others. Theres always hope though, just gotta stay optimistic. Plus I'm sure that whatever sets are chosen will look really good IG anyways.

Yeah, same deal for me; I may have had an ace up my sleeve, mind you, but I found a lot of entries dealing in the same sort of fashion that mine did, and which looked quite a bit better too, you know? But yeah- whatever we end up getting is likely to be great regardless, yeah?

Yeah, same deal for me; I may have had an ace up my sleeve, mind you, but I found a lot of entries dealing in the same sort of fashion that mine did, and which looked quite a bit better too, you know? But yeah- whatever we end up getting is likely to be great regardless, yeah?
Mhm, I look forward to seeing what we get in the game regardless of who it belongs to. Re-Logic will ensure that it looks sexy in the game lol

i really hope that the winners are actually good submissions.
I’ve seen too many pewdiepies and memes
I'm sure they will be :) I went through every single one and there are some *really* nice ones that I think for sure will win, at the very least make the final cut. I mean it'll come down I guess to what the fan base wants and votes for, but I'm confident that the cream will definitely rise to the top.

I can only hope mine gets in but I know there any MANY awesome ideas for armors. All I can say is at least I tried. Here's hoping for "Malchor's Lich Armor".

LichArmor.jpg
Mike Armor design.png

It's partly for that reason I wasn't really confident with my own entry; I had no ability to do pixel art, and my drawing skills are decent, but still nonetheless outmatched by the more capable artists out there- so my main hope is that my own concept and the thought I put into it will make a difference (even though I wouldn't be surprised if many people skip it for favor of another entry because much of the work in mine is about fleshing out the concept behind it rather than improving how it looks on the page, you know?).
i totally felt that, my drawing skills are eh but i still put a fair amount of work into my entry design wise. i’m just scared that people in the community are gonna skip over my design in favor for a different entry with better art and catchier reference sheet.
i just really really hope the community will look at the designs rather than the artwork because in the end, its all about choosing what design would look best in the game. not the quality of the artwork (or at least thats how i see it haha)
but i sincerely wish best of luck to you dude! especially since you prolly put a ton of work into your submission as well :)

Anyone care to go look at my submission and let me know what you think? Looking for honest feedback. <3
Click my name and go to view postings and look for the submission thread.

Is there a general rule on the size of the design? I fear that the head part of my design may be too big. Sorry if this has been already asked.

i totally felt that, my drawing skills are eh but i still put a fair amount of work into my entry design wise. i’m just scared that people in the community are gonna skip over my design in favor for a different entry with better art and catchier reference sheet.
i just really really hope the community will look at the designs rather than the artwork because in the end, its all about choosing what design would look best in the game. not the quality of the artwork (or at least thats how i see it haha)
but i sincerely wish best of luck to you dude! especially since you prolly put a ton of work into your submission as well :)
Part of me wishes that Re-Logic had the time to turn all the finalist pieces of art into sprites so we could vote on pure sprites rather than the flashiest piece of art so the competition would be a little more in everyone's favor... but I heavily doubt that'd happen.

Part of me wishes that Re-Logic had the time to turn all the finalist pieces of art into sprites so we could vote on pure sprites rather than the flashiest piece of art so the competition would be a little more in everyone's favor... but I heavily doubt that'd happen.

Heh- actually, that does sound like a cool idea! But if they're going to make sprites for everyone, they might as well be creating a hundred vanity sets anyway, right? (Not to mention mine warrants something more like... it says there's 110 dyes in the game? Hoo boy, I'm a little more glad I made notes on the possible corners I'm fine with being cut. It also makes me feel a good deal more doomed, but hey! What can you do, right? *Laughs*)

I wish I did add more notes too my idea, but that's what I get for waiting until the last day to start lol.

Yeah, I understand that. I went totally crazy adding notes to my set (even if I hid them in spoiler tags), but that was just me resorting to what I knew best since my drawing skills certainly aren't going to rock the world or anything, you know? I still feel like there's more I could do, but that may also just be my own perfectionism talking, so-- *Shrugs*

(The other reason I'm worried is the general suspense; for now, the majority of us have to face the question that we probably won't win, we might- and for my case in particular, even though part of me dreams of being there as the surprise winner, the other part of me is fairly sure I'm doomed; if I'm to be stamped out of the contest, I'd rather know quickly so I can simmer down and not worry about it anymore, you know?)
yeah there's 7,000+ entries, and only a handful of them will be finalists, and from those, only 3 vanity sets will make it into the game (maybe one or two more if the developers really like one of the submissions). when i posted my submission, i thought "oh maybe i have a chance," but after seeing everyone's vanity sets, i went "oh no, that's really good." thats partly my fault for rushing though because the art i submitted was definitely NOT my best lol. At least that means there's going to be some great vanity sets added into the game!
this is exactly what I'm worried about. i'm sure the developers are looking for the ones with good ideas/concepts, not necessarily the best (pixel) art. but i know that people tend to like really flashy and detailed drawings more. it's not a bad thing, everyone likes colorful, detailed art, but i hope that the community also considers the vanity set's design idea as well as the art when they vote for their favorite vanity set.

Last edited:
Would you think The Timeless Traveler could shuffle it's way into the finals?
I'm getting so tense!
Walking-Animation-text.gif

A sneak peek. Check out the post via the link above for much more!

Anyone care to go look at my submission and let me know what you think? Looking for honest feedback. <3
Click my name and go to view postings and look for the submission thread.

your entry looks great! i honestly would totally wear it if it made it into the game.
i think it would be super cool to have phantom legs with particle effects going off of them because i don’t think there are any sets at the moment that do that.
i also like how you included the set in different colors on your submission.
overall, i think it really well thought out and planned.
i wish the best of luck to you! <3

Eh, I think we're in good hands on that particular metric; the Terraria staff ruled against reference outfits in particular with the credo that if they have to ask permission from another source for a set, it's off the table, yeah? I'm honestly curious how many entries are stamped out by this clause alone, honestly! *Laughs*

A LOT!

The idea of making a "terraria version" of something already owned is just too tempting for non-rule-readers out there. Anyway, they just did the contest judges a great favor by reducing the number of entries to evaluate.

As for now, all we can do is wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom