Journey's End Vanity Contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inspired by the truly astonishing image of an old man holding a cup of tea. Outstanding i know...

Obtained by killing a rarely spawning OldMan enemy. Or possibly just bought from the clothier. (The teacup is very important to this vanity set and must be implemented in some way at all costs)

View attachment 244763
Love Oldmantea and all but where is todd?

I was afraid nobody would even look at my design, but the amount of utter feces in that submission thread is UNGODLY so I think I might at least be nominated for a "top 50 honorable mentions"

Hi! I'm a bit of an amateur on Terraria knowledge, and I would love some clarification on some things that are possible with our entries. I'm SUPER sorry if they have been answered already!
  1. Is it possible for armor to be dyed in specific areas like a clipping mask? For example, if I have a blue area on my armor, is it possible for only that blue area to be dyed and not affect any other parts?
  2. Is it possible for vanity chest armor to "override" how wings are displayed? For example, if I have my vanity chest armor equipped, is it possible to NOT have the current equipped wing show and instead display a unique one exclusive to the chest armor?
    1. If not, is it possible to just completely negate the drawing of the current equipped wing sprite?
  3. Is it possible for some sprites to dynamically change in certain scenarios? For example, can the head armor sprite change under certain conditions such as fighting a boss? (I don't plan on making anything too extravagant. Just a very minor change in the sprite, and that previous example as the trigger)
  4. The OP mentioned that the armor could potentially "borrow" cosmetic set effects from the existing ones. Does this mean that the borrowed effects will be exactly the same, or is it possible to tweak the effects to make them more personalized?
I apologize for how annoying these might sound ;;
Questions 2 and 3 are the big ones, and will heavily affect how I attempt the design I have in mind! Thank You!
You don't seem like you even play Terraria man. Why do you wanna submit? (not judging, you do you)

Hi! I'm a bit of an amateur on Terraria knowledge, and I would love some clarification on some things that are possible with our entries. I'm SUPER sorry if they have been answered already!
  1. Is it possible for armor to be dyed in specific areas like a clipping mask? For example, if I have a blue area on my armor, is it possible for only that blue area to be dyed and not affect any other parts?
  2. Is it possible for vanity chest armor to "override" how wings are displayed? For example, if I have my vanity chest armor equipped, is it possible to NOT have the current equipped wing show and instead display a unique one exclusive to the chest armor?
    1. If not, is it possible to just completely negate the drawing of the current equipped wing sprite?
  3. Is it possible for some sprites to dynamically change in certain scenarios? For example, can the head armor sprite change under certain conditions such as fighting a boss? (I don't plan on making anything too extravagant. Just a very minor change in the sprite, and that previous example as the trigger)
  4. The OP mentioned that the armor could potentially "borrow" cosmetic set effects from the existing ones. Does this mean that the borrowed effects will be exactly the same, or is it possible to tweak the effects to make them more personalized?
I apologize for how annoying these might sound ;;
Questions 2 and 3 are the big ones, and will heavily affect how I attempt the design I have in mind! Thank You!
I'm not a dev, so I'll reply this according to what the stuff in the game does currently. Perhaps there could be exceptions.
1. I don't think so. I have yet to find a piece of armor that, when dyed with gold dye, doesn't go completely gold.
2. No. Wings always show, no matter what.
1. No.
3. No.
4. I'm not qualified to answer this, but I'd guess the most you can get out of this is naming an effect already present in the game and asking for the color to be changed. Anything else would be too much hard work.

The Demon is its name. Sorry its bad it is hard to draw on google paint but the red yellow and orange are supposed to be flames and the trident is not usable. But if you pick me try to make it look better. but you probably wont pick me. :)
Like for real? Holy :red:

I was afraid nobody would even look at my design, but the amount of utter feces in that submission thread is UNGODLY so I think I might at least be nominated for a "top 50 honorable mentions"
Like for real? Holy :red:
@Marcos Moutta, a reminder that it's not necessary to be mean-spirited to others. If you don't have anything nice to say, then it's best not to post. We expect members here to treat each other with mutual respect.

In stead of summiting my own I'm going to do a top 5
At number five is @Benpeg04 post, personally like it because it is original. I love the horns and the black they compliment each other it's like blue flame dye almost but not I love the design.

At number four is @Cat Jester (Hooooh) I love the jester design it is a cool concept because of the jester idea in my mind I can see the bells on the top to move or "jingles". I like the purple and black and how there patter works

At number 3 is @Paitshens post, what I love most about it is it's like a Necro armor but for the crimsion, its like a face monster almost to me, but it has a cool design to where it could have a cool sound like the Necro armor. These aren't my ideas they are there's. I just want to show what I like.

And at number 2 is @Fleya's post it's like a sailor moon or and Powerpuff girl vibe to me it like it it's almost like a cenxs set where's it a fairy or a worrier which is cool. Not to much to dislike I like all of it it has nice color creative and original.

Now at number one and in my opinion is @TerriFried's post, now this is absolute brilliant vanity set. To me it gives me a marshmallow vide but has its own thing I love it. The thing with this is that I don't know how you would get it (like every other set maybe the expert mode bags?) but it is a nich and cool set.

Now this was my opinion I'm not trying to steal any ideas just wanting these in the game. Now I don't have much time so I liked from pages 1-10 so I might do one with 11-20 but who knows might not, I hope one of these get added.

Attachments

• Character V1.png
    Character V1.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Court Jester's Set.png
    Court Jester's Set.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 1584131742779.png
    1584131742779.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 102
  • sailor moon.png
    sailor moon.png
    903.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 237947-63b6c597a047500390168b59d73ba5b8.png
    237947-63b6c597a047500390168b59d73ba5b8.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I'm not a dev, so I'll reply this according to what the stuff in the game does currently. Perhaps there could be exceptions.
1. I don't think so. I have yet to find a piece of armor that, when dyed with gold dye, doesn't go completely gold.
2. No. Wings always show, no matter what.
1. No.
3. No.
4. I'm not qualified to answer this, but I'd guess the most you can get out of this is naming an effect already present in the game and asking for the color to be changed. Anything else would be too much hard work.

Thanks for replying! I was mostly asking whether my examples were more or less feasible with our entries, but it's great to know how those options compare to Terraria itself. I'll probably just move ahead assuming the worst scenario with the answers you provided.

Also, I do play Terraria but I'm not too versed or knowledgeable yet of all it has to offer, mostly things regarding vanity and dyes since I don't tend to explore that area of the game whenever I play. I joined this contest to have fun, and to partake in an art contest that may I find enjoyable. I don't know how my playtime is relevant to being able to join this contest, but I apologize if it leaves any negative impact somehow.

Thanks for replying! I was mostly asking whether my examples were more or less feasible with our entries, but it's great to know how those options compare to Terraria itself. I'll probably just move ahead assuming the worst scenario with the answers you provided.

Also, I do play Terraria but I'm not too versed or knowledgeable yet of all it has to offer, mostly things regarding vanity and dyes since I don't tend to explore that area of the game whenever I play. I joined this contest to have fun, and to partake in an art contest that may I find enjoyable. I don't know how my playtime is relevant to being able to join this contest, but I apologize if it leaves any negative impact somehow.
Oh no, it's perfectly fine, you do play the game. It's just that I thought you didn't play at all. And even then, who would I be to judge.

@Marcos Moutta, a reminder that it's not necessary to be mean-spirited to others. If you don't have anything nice to say, then it's best not to post. We expect members here to treat each other with mutual respect.
I'm sorry, I was just messing around. Will be more polite now.

View attachment 244971View attachment 244973View attachment 244974
So I Hope This Isn't Declined For "un-PG-13 Behavior" But I'm Trying To Make An Outfit Based Off Of The Legendary WW1 Fighter Pilot, Rote Kampfflider, Better Known As "The Red Baron." Made Some Pixel Art As A Guideline For It's Creation If It Gets Selected. I Wish All Of You "Viel Gluck" (Good Luck) And That You May Be Victorious In Any Battle You Find Yourself In.
That seems pretty similar to any military clothing. You need to give people a reason to chose you

I see a lot of people posting similar but generic ideas (plague doctor, wyvern costume, etc.) (at least, generic in comparison to some more specific ideas) and I can't imagine they'll win simply because it'd be hard to credit everyone who suggested them...
Afaik mob costumes are already in the game, and there's already doctor clothes, soooooo yeah why

Release 1.4 journey ends

you add the contest result later
I want to play 1.4 NOW :((
The update is obviously not ready

I find it amusing how some people went ahead and made pixel art, but completely ignored the resolution and added details smaller than the pixels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom