Journey's End Vanity Contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of vanity sets I was terribly disappointed when they removed the effect with frost armor, gold helm, and blue and black dye and I wish they'd bring it back.
Red's_old_armor.png

Would it be okay to have a submission with an original work based on a different game? Thanks for being awesome!
I guess the key issue here is the word "overt". Too many people are making absolute direct references to their favorite anime/video game/movie/etc. character instead of making something that's inspired by it or a genericized version of what they are referencing. And it's a shame to because some of those post have really great sprite work and are good ideas but are basically disqualified before they ever leave the gate.

Here's a few suggestions.
First of all if you're making a reference to something then don't mention that reference anywhere in your post.
Second change the character up. Don't use the exact same design and color palette to the thing you're referencing. Think how in anime one show might reference some other anime and they change the reference just enough to not be blatantly copying but it's still similar enough so that you know what they are implying
Going back to the "genericized" thing I mentioned before; Don't make a Sailor Moon or Sakura Kinomoto costume, make "generic magical girl costume" instead. Don't make Toriyama's Son Goku make Sun Wukong instead.
Instead of directly referencing one single thing think about combining two different things into a new character. Or make original character and bring some trait from an existing character over onto that character. Maybe get inspired by your favorite character and create a new character based on that inspiration

Last edited:
submissions may only include head/torso/leg pieces. (Leinfors said so earlier, but with 30 pages its allot to go through)

how many designs are they accepting? or is there no set limit on how many can be accepted? Also, are the number of likes or loves an item gets going to effect if it gets chosen?
(I just read the beginning of this forum I have no idea how I missed it they are accepting 3 sorry >.>)
Number of likes and loves are irrelevant.

How can i check if my idea already made by someone?
Unless you are ready to scan 3.6k submits its just better to put more input into your work to increase your chances.
By far the most popular ideas is plague doctor, hazmat suit and astronaut. Ive also seen alot of tv-head suits and duck suits.
I think devs will select one the most quality work for every giga-popular idea for a final vote. So if you doubt your idea will be unique, try to make it fancy. Something like that.

[ I HAVE ALREADY SUBMITTED, THIS WAS A QUESTION I HAD ]

I have a quick question, about how big a vanity item can be on the character. I havent created any mods for terraria so I dont fully understand a sprites limitations and I wanna understand if theres a limit of how many pixels can be added before they're cut off.

And also I would love to understand the limitations of the contest regarding animation, Im sure the animators could do what ever is possible; but I dont want to get disqualified due to that error, my idea is that while running the hood would also wave in the wind. but if making new animations isnt possible or an option in the contest I would love to know.

This has been my submission so far, Ive been editing it here and there learning as I go, my concern is whether the "Hood" would get cut off past the shoulders? I wouldnt want my hard work to be disqualified due to that mistake. thank you for your time!

(P.S. Im aware of the effect not being a possibility Ive read some of your responses just today to other terrarians, Ive kept it in for now, but if that lowers my chance cause its not possible I can strip it out)

Attachments

• Ishi_Terraria_v2.3.2.jpg
    Ishi_Terraria_v2.3.2.jpg
    971.9 KB · Views: 2,326
Last edited:
Now here's a question that I don't believe that I've seen either asked or addressed. There's a number of entries that either overlap or are the exact same suggestion.Example there are multiple astronaut costumes, most of which are the typical Apollo-Space Shuttle era style space suit, so there's not much that defines one submission from the other. If one of these got the finalist position or even won the final vote then who gets the credit?

I have a quick question, about how big a vanity item can be on the character. I havent created any mods for terraria so I dont fully understand a sprites limitations and I wanna understand if theres a limit of how many pixels can be added before they're cut off.
I think your sprite is fine maybe except for a few pixels in the running state.
From what I can tell this is the bounding box for character size
char size.png
It seems like it goes a "pixel" over the height of the scythe. Maybe two.
Yours looks like it fits well within the character size
pixie.png
overlay.png
as you can see by the overlay. I'm not an expert so maybe someone else could correct me if I'm wrong
By the way I love your submission. It is extremely comfy.

[ I HAVE ALREADY SUBMITTED, THIS WAS A QUESTION I HAD ]

And also I would love to understand the limitations of the contest regarding animation, Im sure the animators could do what ever is possible; but I dont want to get disqualified due to that error, my idea is that while running the hood would also wave in the wind. but if making new animations isnt possible or an option in the contest I would love to know.

This has been my submission so far, Ive been editing it here and there learning as I go, my concern is whether the "Hood" would get cut off past the shoulders? I wouldnt want my hard work to be disqualified due to that mistake. thank you for your time!

(P.S. Im aware of the effect not being a possibility Ive read some of your responses just today to other terrarians, Ive kept it in for now, but if that lowers my chance cause its not possible I can strip it out)
Now here's a question that I don't believe that I've seen either asked or addressed. There's a number of entries that either overlap or are the exact same suggestion.Example there are multiple astronaut costumes, most of which are the typical Apollo-Space Shuttle era style space suit, so there's not much that defines one submission from the other. If one of these got the finalist position or even won the final vote then who gets the credit?

I think your sprite is fine maybe except for a few pixels in the running state.
From what I can tell this is the bounding box for character sizeView attachment 246985 It seems like it goes a "pixel" over the height of the scythe. Maybe two.
Yours looks like it fits well within the character sizeView attachment 246986View attachment 246987 as you can see by the overlay. I'm not an expert so maybe someone else could correct me if I'm wrong
By the way I love your submission. It is extremely comfy.
Actually hood is one picel smaller than wizard hat, you can't go above it, it's max of it. Only problem is propably that it is two pixel more wide inn the back. No serious problems. Because of the size of the hood I don't think you will be able to make it animated while running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom