Journey's End Vanity Contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I picked that because I thought it would be a generic enough design aesthetic to appeal widely and be used in lots of different outfits. How many have you seen?
Well, since I went sleeping and woke up, 2 guys posted tv-heads vanity. Both of them on page 189. And ive seen it before around 10 times or so. Not a big number by itself, but quite common within the creativity contest.

Man, I picked that because I thought it would be a generic enough design aesthetic to appeal widely and be used in lots of different outfits. How many have you seen?
I've seen at least 4 or 5. Maybe more. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing though. It shows that the concept is popular. Same with the samurai outfits and space suits.

How will the player be able to obtain this armor? Is it instantly unlocked, or can you get it much later in the game?

@Loki I think it should be made much clearer in the first post, and maybe the title, that this is not the place to submit submissions, as a lot of people seem to not realise.

Hmn, so here's a question. So armor sets can sometimes have effects, and if I recall, there's vanity that cause effects too, like how the sunglasses change the Terraria sun to the original form but with sunglasses on it. Granted, that's an effect on something disjointed, but say you were to like... wear an entirety of a vanity set, can one design an effect or just give the idea of one to go with it if you were to wear the whole set?

Another question is what about male and female difference? Say you were to have a clothing that really didn't fit the male version of a model as well as the female, could you design a female and male variant to an outfit? I worry that might come off as two entries, but iirc there's some equipment that turns one form of shirt or pants/skirt into another depending on the gender wearing whatever it is. I know base clothes do this kinda.

Really sorta gathering info before I really sink the time into a design. I wanna go all out and find out as much as possible so I can submit a really concise idea. Oh, another question is if something looks like a grander version of something one of the dev sets has, is that out-of-the-question? Like I wanted to do a particularly extravagant wide brimmed hat, but I notice one of the staff sets have one, and I don't wanna blow the chances by sorta stepping on dev set toes, y'know?

How will the player be able to obtain this armor? Is it instantly unlocked, or can you get it much later in the game?
They haven't said specifically but my guess is either from an NPC vendor or from some sort of grab bag during some new event.
@Loki I think it should be made much clearer in the first post, and maybe the title, that this is not the place to submit submissions, as a lot of people seem to not realise.
Yeah I think so too. People still seem to be getting confused about which thread to use.
Another question is what about male and female difference? Say you were to have a clothing that really didn't fit the male version of a model as well as the female, could you design a female and male variant to an outfit? I worry that might come off as two entries, but iirc there's some equipment that turns one form of shirt or pants/skirt into another depending on the gender wearing whatever it is.
I think they've said yes within reason.

I made my entry as how it will look like in-game, is that valid? I just want to make sure before I get disqualified haha
That’s fine, the rules say to use any sort of art to show your idea.

In the original post you said that 3 final winners will be selected, but how many submissions will be shortlisted for the community vote?
In the rules it says this...
HOW WILL THE WINNERS BE SELECTED?
  • The Re-Logic team will select a list of finalists from all of the entries that are submitted by 11:59pm Eastern on April 13, 2020.
There’s no set number for finalists.

View attachment 247407View attachment 247420
This is the Astro-Terran vanity set, obtainable after you complete the Terra Blade. Terraria is very focused on land, nature, and the earth, but toward the end the focus shifts to space. Consequently, my set is a cross between a space suit and a suit of armor, using the Terra Blade's color scheme. The legs and chest are set with gems of the Terra Blade's color, and there are branches off of each piece in reference to those on the Terra Blade's hilt. There is also a leaf growing off of the pauldron. The helmet visor, of course, has the color scheme of the blade part of the Terra Blade. I intend for the upper part of the chest to be like the large pads on modern space suits, where the life support and other technology is. If possible, I would want this set to have a similar particle effect to the Terra Blade's projectiles, perhaps while running.
As someone who had a similar idea (based on Terra Blade) I love this! Yours went more space/nature than mine and it's beautiful!

By participating in the contest, you agree to relinquish all rights to your vanity design to Re-Logic for inclusion into the game. Winners will be required to sign a document to that effect.

I've seen some people with concerns about this condition, so I wanted to clarify: This simply gives Re-Logic the rights to use the design, royalty-free, for anything they want, forever, and doesn't bar the creator from using the design themselves in their own creative work, right? I feel like some people might think twice if they knew they were losing their ability to use their own OCs, but I don't think Re-Logic would do that to people.

Yeah, I'm boned. I was hoping the presentation quality of my submission would get me points, but if it's such an unoriginal concept then theres absolutely zero chance of success. Crap. I gotta concoct something better...

I've found that there has to be a nice balance between originality and wide-appeal for a costume to be successful in my eyes. Because on one hand, nobody wants to walk around as someone's OC or something that really only applies to one person, and on the other nobody wants a over suggested thing like the astronaut suits or jester suits because those, frankly, just aren't original and could easily be implemented without taking a spot in this competition. Like imagine if there's these three really interesting, cool designs that should win, but instead you get someones OC and an astronaut suit... it just seems to lack creativity and ruin the idea behind the contest. So if there's any tips I can give, its to submit something interesting in concept and design, but not so specific that it only applies to a few people or a community, you've got to appeal to everyone, not just a few, but also not something that seems like it lacks creativity or originality.

For example, I think Hexanne's post here is an example of something that is somewhat generic, but not too specific, and is unique enough to stand out among the rest of the robe/witch cosmetics both in the game and submitted during this contest.
The Witch's Void set
I've done some doodling and created this:
A set that radiates pure evil for the mages daring enough to put them on. It will alter their attitude and power.
View attachment 238256View attachment 238258

Just something I've noticed.
EDIT: Does this mean this will win? Not necessarily, but it will definitely be a finalist at least in my opinion.

Yeah, I get the idea of balancing between interesting and widely appealing. I think I've got appeal down, but I'm neurotic over interesting. People on reddit seemed to really really like it, but popular appeal isn't important until the voting round, and in order to get to the voting round, creative standout is important.
I'm not going to let this mess with me too much, honestly. My submission sheet gave me a bunch of practice with photoshop, and a nice high from people reacting positively to it. I'll just have to hope that that one dude on reddit doesn't actually mass commit arson if I don't win :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom