Journey's End Vanity Contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been made pretty clear that this contest is only for the three in-game vanity slots (head, torso, legs), and that we cannot include accessories. One of the things I see other people ask about frequently is capes, but (as far as I can tell) nobody has asked my specific question:

Would it be permitted to include a cape that is part of one of the other set pieces, and not a separate item. For example: a (vanity) chestplate with a built-in cape, so that, when equipped, both the chestplate and the cape display, but it only takes up the torso vanity slot.

Thanks.

Hey, so a guy named Gameraids101 did a video reviewing the contest submissions, and when he saw mine, he was like "looks like some furry sh*t, let's ignore that". I took a lot of offense to it and unsubscribed from him. He could have been nicer about it, but no. I'm mad rn, and just wanted to vent on here to calm down. I was just really pissed off about it...

Greetings Terrarians!

The development team at Re-Logic were having a chat the other day about just how creative the Terraria community is - from art to music to in-game creations, you all are simply amazing. That got us to thinking... what better way to reward that creativity in the final Journey's End update than to give all of you creative geniuses a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get your very own vanity armor design into the game itself?

That's right - we are giving everyone a chance to submit their own original ideas for Terraria Vanity Armor/Outfits (Head/Torso/Legs), and the winners will see their ideas make it into the game for the Journey's End update! This is your chance to design your own brand new vanity outfit that you'd like to see added to the game! This is sort of like finding that golden ticket and getting to visit the chocolate factory, except there is no tour and no lifetime supply of chocolate... only fame and glory and bragging rights forever listed in one of the best video games ever crafted.

As you might imagine, there are some rules and guidelines and such that are important for you to follow - however, inside of these guidelines, have at it! Anything your minds can dream up, we want to hear about it!

You can also check out the Contest Submission Thread to see current submissions!
Please note! ALL SUBMISSIONS must be posted in the submission thread! If they are only posted in this thread, they will not be considered valid!

index.php

GUIDELINES & RULES
WHAT IS ALLOWED/NOT ALLOWED?
  • Only one submission per person! If you make multiple submissions, we will select the first submission made, and the latter ones will be disqualified.
  • All Vanity entries must be the original work of the person submitting the idea - no stealing! (yes, we will look -_-)
  • Sprites from Terraria mods *ARE* allowed but only if you are the original creator of that artwork (this means the actual artist, not just anyone that happened to work on a given mod)
  • Direct lifts/overt references to other games/movies/tv shows/etc. are quite likely to be rejected (if we have to ask permission to use it, don't submit it ;) )
  • Please keep it PG-13 - nothing profane/offensive/etc. please
  • If you are looking for more guidance and next-level design tips, check out this link > Terraria Vanity Contest Best Practices & Design Tips

HOW DO I SUBMIT MY ENTRY?
  • Entries should consist of a design that includes Head/Torso/Leg (aligned to those vanity armor slots in the game). We will not be including wings/dyes/weapons/etc. Sorry.
  • All entries must include artwork of some kind. This could mean anything from super-fancy hand drawn art to MS Paint-level scribbles. However, the art - and any accompanying descriptions - need to be able to clearly communicate the idea. If we have to struggle to understand the concept, it will hurt your chances of winning... and trying to guess art from just text is going to give all of us headaches.
  • If you have a name for your creation, please provide it.
  • Entries should be submitted by posting in the contest submission thread! Entries MUST be posted in the submission thread to be considered valid submissions! If you want to discuss the contest or specific entries, feel free to do so in this thread, Discord, etc.
  • All entries must be submitted by 11:59pm Eastern Time on April 13th, 2020 - NO EXCEPTIONS! :)

HOW WILL THE WINNERS BE SELECTED?
  • The Re-Logic team will select a list of finalists from all of the entries that are submitted by 11:59pm Eastern on April 13, 2020. If this thread is locked, you are too late!
  • We will reveal the finalists on the Weekly Stream later that week (April 17th) , and then we will post them here after the stream.
  • These finalists will be submitted for a community vote across all of our community platforms (TCF, Social Media, Discord, etc) - voting will commence after the reveal steam and conclude in one week, on April 24th. Voting instructions will be provided at that time.
  • There will be no more than three (3) winning entries.

HECK YEAH, I WON! NOW WHAT?
  • Re-Logic will directly contact the winners so that we can begin the process of adding your design into the game.
  • Please note that some creative license in regards to the interpretation on behalf of our artists is expected - so be flexible. (don't worry, we will make it amazing)
  • Re-Logic will have the final say on approval for the winning designs (actual art and text going in-game)
  • The winner's name will be included in some way in the tooltip and/or naming for the item, so that you can always pull it up in game to brag to your buddies. :cool:
  • Once we arrive on a final design, just wait for the day when Journey's End arrives and you can run around in your very own vanity creation!

LEGAL STUFF
  • By participating in the contest, you agree to relinquish all rights to your vanity design to Re-Logic for inclusion into the game. Winners will be required to sign a document to that effect.
  • If you are under the legal age to sign legal documents in your country (eg. Under 18 in most countries), you will need your parent or guardian to sign as well - so be sure to get that permission in advance! :)

index.php

Good day, Leinforse!
Also good day to any other official, who could help me! 0/

I've been working on my submission for the entire month. It's a good one, I promise :)

Could you please clarify a couple things?

1) By the Eastern Time, do you mean EDT?
2) Will I still have an equal chance to be noticed if my work will deserve it even though I would submit it in the last moment? I still want to polish my submission even more. Will you guys look through the entire submission thread once it's closed?
3) Can the amount of likes received in the submission thread affect my chances to be selected? I'm interested since I'm planning on submitting a couple hours before the deadline.

I really hope this reaches you!
Have a nice day!

I'm not really sure how collaborative submissions work here. A friend and I worked together to design a set: Journey's End Vanity Contest Submission Thread

This is just me confirming that MatterDestroyer3 has permission to use this artwork, since we both contributed to this design! Since he's the submitter, I guess he's the one that gets his name credited? I don't mind either way, but if someone's willing to clarify, it would be appreciated.

I notice there's still a lot of people posting their submissions here; this is the wrong place to post your submissions. You should all be posting the submission thread
Entries should be submitted by posting in the contest submission thread! Entries MUST be posted in the submission thread to be considered valid submissions! If you want to discuss the contest or specific entries, feel free to do so in this thread, Discord, etc.
This has been mentioned multiple times already, but there's still clearly many people that missed this part. It's sad to see people potentially miss their chance due to not reading the rules. There's only a few days left.

ADVANCED SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

There are some limitations to Terraria's equipment system, as well as some features that not everyone is aware of. So to help provide a little extra insight into what is possible and available to you, as well as some restrictions, check out the details below!

- "Head" slots can be anywhere from a helmet, to a hat, to simple head accessories, like glasses or hairpins. Whether or not your character's hair will shown will depend on how much of their head is covered by the idea. A helmet or mask which fully encloses the head will not show hair at all. A hat or similar things like a crown may show some hair, but it will be cropped so as to not stick out of the sides of the hat. Smaller head accessories like glasses or hairpins can show the entirety of the players hair, assuming it looks correct. If you have a specific preference for the quantity of hair to be displayed, we can attempt to design it in such a way to work around that, but only within reason, so take that into consideration with your design!

- Most head slot armor and accessories occupy a single "head" slot in the character's display. As a result, the majority of head accessories cannot be combined with helmets; for example, you cannot see Nature's Gift (a head based accessory) when you are wearing a helmet. There are a handful of exceptions to this, but these are exceptions and as a general rule, you can't double-stack multiple pieces of headwear and have them both display. So if your design is intended to include a pre-existing accessory, or if you want two different elements (such as a Blindfold and a Hat at the same time), work that into your design as a "single" piece of headwear. You wouldn't be able to wear the Blindfold with the Hat later if you do not.

- Robe/Dress type torso slot items in the game sometimes cover part or all of the legs as well. If your proposal is reliant on such a design, a piece of clothing that covers the full lower body, that is equipped via the torso slot, that is okay. You could still include (or choose not to include) a leg slot item. Some items, such as Robes, will cover up the entire leg portion, so it would be invisible. Some skirt type and longcoat outfits such as the Red Riding set or the Rain Coat set have portions which extend to the legs, but the feet and legs themselves are still visible. Not every set needs a leg-piece to be complete, even some dev sets don't use them!

- Glowmasks (not to be confused with creating light!) are an option for use in your design. Glowmask are when a portion of an outfit displays as completely or partially bright, even in darkness. For an example of this, try equipping the Vortex or Dark Artist sets in vanity slots in a dark room. Vanity outfits aren't intended to actually generate light, so we won't be able to include light generation, but having some details or glowing lines in your outfit may be acceptable!

Any questions in a similar vein that arise, I'll add them to this post to help clarify things further!
Wonder if it’s worth me trying since they’ll be so many entries

can someone tell me how to submit?

there are so many submissions that i can't find mine ;-; if there is some kind of search bar that i'm not realizing exists, then info would be greatly appreciated
Hi @GigaGhost, in addition to the great tip that Cjjedik gave you, you can also use the Search button in the top right of every page. Putting your username in the "By" section will give you all your posts as well. Your entry is here: Journey's End Vanity Contest Submission Thread
1586550506486.png

Hello everyone!
I just want to ask something that may have been asked before but...
Can you include a cape with the breastplate, Like Jim's set? Or is that not allowed?
My submission has a cape in it and I'm worried that it broke the rules.
It's been made pretty clear that this contest is only for the three in-game vanity slots (head, torso, legs), and that we cannot include accessories. One of the things I see other people ask about frequently is capes, but (as far as I can tell) nobody has asked my specific question:

Would it be permitted to include a cape that is part of one of the other set pieces, and not a separate item. For example: a (vanity) chestplate with a built-in cape, so that, when equipped, both the chestplate and the cape display, but it only takes up the torso vanity slot.

Thanks.
Regarding capes, this is what Leinfors has said when someone asked before. (@CaptainInconspicuous, I'm not sure if the cape being attached to the torso part matters or not, sorry).
From this post here: Journey's End Vanity Contest!
submissions may only include head/torso/leg pieces.

Good day, Leinforse!
Also good day to any other official, who could help me! 0/

I've been working on my submission for the entire month. It's a good one, I promise :)

Could you please clarify a couple things?

1) By the Eastern Time, do you mean EDT?
2) Will I still have an equal chance to be noticed if my work will deserve it even though I would submit it in the last moment? I still want to polish my submission even more. Will you guys look through the entire submission thread once it's closed?
3) Can the amount of likes received in the submission thread affect my chances to be selected? I'm interested since I'm planning on submitting a couple hours before the deadline.

I really hope this reaches you!
Have a nice day!
I'm not Leinfors (or Leinforse :D) but yes, Eastern Time is EDT. Yes, all entries will be looked at, every single one, as long as they are submitted before the deadline. And no, the amount of likes an entry receives in the submissions thread has no effect on Re-Logic choosing the finalists.

can someone tell me how to submit?
Hi there @Potato King, here's how to submit:
  1. First, read ALL the contest rules in the first post of this thread
  2. Go to the Submissions thread here: Journey's End Vanity Contest Submission Thread
  3. Type in your reply, click Attach Files, upload your image, then choose to input it as a Thumbnail or Full Image

All Vanity entries must be the original work of the person submitting the idea - no stealing! (yes, we will look )

So, does that refer to the core idea of an artwork, the artwork itself or the whole submission?

I am asking this because I just completed my submission (not actually posted it yet) and it didn't take me even a minute to find someone who has had a very similar idea (although a slightly different presentation...) and they posted it much earlier too. Is there any point for me to post mine, or am I better off trying something else?

So, does that refer to the core idea of an artwork, the artwork itself or the whole submission?

I am asking this because I just completed my submission (not actually posted it yet) and it didn't take me even a minute to find someone who has had a very similar idea (although a slightly different presentation...) and they posted it much earlier too. Is there any point for me to post mine, or am I better off trying something else?

That depends, really. Art in and of itself doesn't matter - EXCEPT inasmuch as it communicates the idea fully and in all of its intricacies. There are potentially many entries of a given idea... but what if yours has some nuance that makes it stand out... or what if its very similar but the earlier entries bungled the communication and it didn't pop? Perhaps yours will?

I could give some relevant examples, but I will not for obvious reasons.

TLDR; what do you have to lose to go for it?

That depends, really. Art in and of itself doesn't matter - EXCEPT inasmuch as it communicates the idea fully and in all of its intricacies. There are potentially many entries of a given idea... but what if yours has some nuance that makes it stand out... or what if its very similar but the earlier entries bungled the communication and it didn't pop? Perhaps yours will?

I could give some relevant examples, but I will not for obvious reasons.

TLDR; what do you have to lose to go for it?

Thank you! :sigh:
I think I'll go for it after all, but will take the last remaining day(s) to polish it out as much as possible, hopefully I can make it pop in the sea of same-ish submissions. Look forward to it!

Hey, so a guy named Gameraids101 did a video reviewing the contest submissions, and when he saw mine, he was like "looks like some furry sh*t, let's ignore that". I took a lot of offense to it and unsubscribed from him. He could have been nicer about it, but no. I'm mad rn, and just wanted to vent on here to calm down. I was just really pissed off about it...
I am a bit of a furry fan myself and I like to, khm, investigate into some r18 arts and even draw it, but putted anywhere else furry fandom looks out of place for me and many other people. Not only because of its questionable appearance and strong yiff associations but also for furfans obsessive personality.
Anyway, why be mad about someones subjective opinion whatever it may be? Remember — other people can only hurt you physicly. Other pains is your own creation.

you will have a 0% chance at winning if you dont enter. even if its a small chance, its a chance. if you dont win, you dont lose anything.

Hello!!! I dont know how to use the forums so i hope i posted this in the right place.
I am a dinosaur geek and i feel like dinosaurs arent represented enoughin terraria........
SPINOSAURUS IS MY FAVORITE DINOSAUR
Therefore i present to you the adorable.... spino setView attachment 262876
Please change it up how you want im verry new to pixle art and i know its bad XD and maybe make him smile a bit if he wins ofcourse..... my Instagram is grazshopper just so you know im not stealing.
Bro this is so cool! You say your bad at pixel art but this is amazing! :) good luck in the contest!

Hello There! I have seen that we could use old particle effects with our vanity. Does this mean strictly the exact effect, or can it have a variation of it. Such as white molten armor fire or purple hermes boot trails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom