Other Jumping improvement suggestion

dgm

Terrarian
Hi guys.

I have a little suggestion that, in my opinion, would improve the early stages of the game (when you don't have double jump, wings, flying mounts etc).
Now, I ran some tests on the latest PC version of Terraria on PC before posting this to make sure this mechanic wasn't already in place, and it seems not to be.

It's simple: you can only jump when the player is grounded. My proposition is to allow a "grace period", of, say, 100ms, when the player that just started falling could still be able to jump. Now, I have made a video to illustrate the suggestion as it is kinda hard to explain without something visual. The "effect" is greatly exaggerated in the video to make it easier to see. You guys will excuse me because I've made this video many years ago as a suggestion for another game (Starbound). I asked to be excused because I'll post the same video here, as I didn't want to re-upload the video and pretend it's something new, as I would feel like a fraud myself and also I don't want to offend anyone (and also, I don't remember if I made the same suggestion here at that time).

The "game" used in the video to illustrate my suggestion is a Terraria/Starbound "clone" I was making at the time.

You can watch it here.

What do you guys think?

I think it would be a great addition to the game, specially with the coming "last update".
Thank you guys in advance.

I can understand the frustration factor and stuff, but isn't that's kinda why items providing double jump exists? (as well as increased mobility)

Like @Sora_92 said, that's what double jumps are in the game for. Clouds-in-a-bottle are very easy to find early game, almost too easy.

I can understand your frustration, but that's why double jumps are so easy to find. This is in place so the devs don't have to sacrifice realisticness for game play.

That part of the game will be gone before you know it.

I don't like the implication that double-jumps solve this problem. If anything they make it far more apparent- how many times have we missed a double-jump because the second jump activated instead of the first? I fully support this implementation and it's been a long time coming.

I don't like the implication that double-jumps solve this problem. If anything they make it far more apparent- how many times have we missed a double-jump because the second jump activated instead of the first? I fully support this implementation and it's been a long time coming.

Exactly! That's why I think the suggestion still stands, even using double jump items.

I am all for any mechanic that makes platforming a crisper experience in what is effectively a side-scrolling action RPG that is heavily reliant on player movement options.

While functionally this won't change much, having the option available adds some padding to the few cases it does matter, and can allow map creation to have even tighter jumps available.

Could go the full Donkey Kong Country route and only have it be available if you're traveling at a certain speed.

I hate terraria parkour entirely because something like this doesn't exist, so people abuse the fact that they can make pixel perfect jumps. Support.

I believe this is a common feature in some platformers, and I'd love for it to be in Terraria, especially early game when you move like a tank.

The amount of times I've used the second jump when I press the space bar just a tiny bit too late....

Last edited:
Reactions: Bry
Back
Top Bottom