Biomes & Nature Jungle Saved!

Do you want the jungle to be protected?

• Yes! I only want my jungle to be protected from the corruption, none of that cross-biome nonsense.

Votes: 1,185 58.8%
  • Yes! I want the jungle to fuse with the spirits of light and dark. (Comment on what you want added.)

Votes: 628 31.2%
  • No! I love watching the jungle wither away to become a corrupt wasteland that can never be restored.

Votes: 68 3.4%
  • Uh… I don’t really care… Am I supposed to?

Votes: 135 6.7%

• Total voters
Oh yeah, much more on topic:
At some point not that long ago, I actually set out to try and create a mod for this myself (cause at the time I figured it wouldn't be added to the base game and no one else had made a mod for converted versions of the jungle, only one that makes the jungle fully immune). I started getting the hang of using Tmodloader, went so far as to dig through the decompiled code for Terraria, work out as best as I could what determined which blocks count for what biomes and how exactly they spread, and I had even made sprites for all the different grass variations I'd need.

But then unfortunately I hit a wall when I realized that I wasn't able to make blocks that use the proper grass tileset and grow on another existing block, and despite digging through the forums, wiki and backlog of the tmodloader discord I couldn't find any guides on how to add custom grass blocks.

Last edited:
How about making the Jungle spreadable? Like the hallow and evil biomes? Yes? No? I'll show myself out, but it's cool MM you tried to find your own way to save the Jungle through a mod of your own design, shame you ran into some difficulties.

How about making the Jungle spreadable? Like the hallow and evil biomes? Yes? No? I'll show myself out, but it's cool MM you tried to find your own way to save the Jungle through a mod of your own design, shame you ran into some difficulties.
That might've been doable, but honestly I was pretty dead-set on trying to add new types of jungle grass instead (so once I realized I couldn't do that I dropped the idea)
I did think earlier though about the hallow spreading though. Apparently in the new update, hallow still doesn't convert jungle because the two would rather coexist? Not entirely sure of the details, but since corruption and crimson can still spread through the jungle, I thought it'd be fun to imagine if hallow gained the ability to specifically spread through jungle biomes that had been corrupted. As if it was doing it specifically to reclaim the territory that the jungle had lost

One of the things I assumed Red and the Dev Team were struggling with, was making the World Evil and Jungle conflict make sense from a lore perspective. Assuming the Dryads aren't married to just the Jungle Biome for a moment, I'd assume any Biome with Living Trees has some relation to the Dryads, which mean both Overworld and Jungle was their home(s).

The issue I figured, was trying to make the Jungle unique when it came to the Biome wars, but not being entirely sure how to integrate that into gameplay mechanics, but with the updates, I would agree it makes more sense for the Jungle to be "Corruptible", of course still keeping Chlorophyte as an agent of resistance, and then maybe the attribute of the Jungle being that it's possibly the easiest Biome to cleanse?

All-this, but I'm not even sure just how seriously Red takes the lore... which could be very little and I typed all of this for nothing; might've just woke up one day and said "you know what... Mud!" 😅 💁‍♂️

Edit: It just occurred to me that Jungle Spores could serve the same purpose as Sunflowers & Chlorophyte pre-Hardmode; just a thought.

Last edited:
That might've been doable, but honestly I was pretty dead-set on trying to add new types of jungle grass instead (so once I realized I couldn't do that I dropped the idea)
I did think earlier though about the hallow spreading though. Apparently in the new update, hallow still doesn't convert jungle because the two would rather coexist? Not entirely sure of the details, but since corruption and crimson can still spread through the jungle, I thought it'd be fun to imagine if hallow gained the ability to specifically spread through jungle biomes that had been corrupted. As if it was doing it specifically to reclaim the territory that the jungle had lost
Yeah , you are correct on that the hallow thankfulyl does not convert jungle grass and mud thankfulyl which is why I like having it in and around the jungle so it becomes pretty much immune to conversion bu removing any way for the corruption or crimson to infect or even reach it, but if the hallow could re junglify parts of it lost to the crimson or corruption that would be neat.

...started a new Not The Bees! playthrough (in celebration of the Jungle being saved, I guess??), and I gotta say, I greatly underestimated the addition of Bamboo Reeds/ Tiles in 1.4!

It's kinda rare, being able to make somewhat decent-looking homes, right from the start! Also, I don't think I've ever had to deal with Hornets on the Surface before... what an interesting gameplay switch-up. 🤔 🍵
20220809175124_1.jpg

This is a lot more fun then I was originally expecting it to be, and I really even haven't done much at all as far as exploration is concerned!

Nice work, Tox, and I think the evil biome does spawn but really far and i think tis blocked off by clay and.or dirt, I don't remember.

Also be (excuse the unintentional pu) VERY careful there a lot of Larvae on the surface too, some of them hidden in honey, and you might accidently piss off and spawn the Queen Bee if you are not careful. Good thing Plantera Bulbs aren't also spawned tbh and also glad that they aren't as easily destroyed I'd hate to be ambushed by both Queen Bee AND Plantera if they cruel enough to do that.

...you might accidently piss off and spawn the Queen Bee if you are not careful.
...already did, LoL! One of the funny things about playing on this Map, is having to be super careful about where I aim [and what weapons I use, and how], I've been heavily incorporating Melee into my playstyle for once, which is quite fun and unique [though Grenades are flying left and right against these Moss Hornets]! ☝️😁

I know it might not be the type of challenge for everyone but... once you accidently hit a Larvae, it's pretty much a death sentence! Might as well die near spawn, so you can at least keep your gold, heh.

Back
Top Bottom