Just how good is Orichalcum armor?

qwerty3.14

Terrarian
So... orichcalum armor where do I begin. It's not really an armor I used too much in my playthroughs, but some people I've talked to said it was good. So Iooked at some numbers, ran some tests and came to some conclusions. Here we will find out, how good is orichaclum armor?

Part 1: The mechanics

Looking at orichaclum armor it has 3 interesting properties, its set bonus, its focus at high crit at the expense of all damage bonuses(unless you go for the melee option), and the fact that the head pieces have movement speed for some reason.

The Set Bonus

Ok so the set bonues, whenever I see this armor talked about I here the old 'orichalcum armor's set bonus is basicly a flat 30dps that's also good for crowds'.

That 30dps number is just wrong, like by a factor of 3!

gyazo.com
That gif was 7 seconds long and I counted 19 petals, that's pretty close to 3 petals per second.
Looking at de compiled source code there seems to be a 20 frame countdown on petal creation, and since there are 60 frames per second that matches up with the observation.

Petals have a base damage 36, so multiply that by 3 and you get a flat 108dps, that's way better than the 30dps everyone talks about.

Petals start on the edge of the screen to the player's back side at a random height, they then fly toward the attack that triggered them.

The stats

Oricalcum has critical rate of 21-24% with the ranged and magic head pieces. These cumulative offensive stats are actually worse than cobalt.
The ranged cobalt set has 15% crit and 13% damage, totaling up to 28% vs. orichaclum's 21%
The magic cobalt set has 14% crit and 13% damage totaling up to 27% vs. orichaclum's 24%

The melee version is the only one with better offensive stats than cobalt, cobalt has 18% damage 5% crit vs. orichalcum's 18% damage 6% crit, although cobalt has more melee speed if you care about that.

Orichalcum also has movement speed on the range and melee helmets for some reason... combined with the 11% movespeed on the legs it has the most movement speed of any hardmode ore armor. Now in 99% of situations this is basically useless, but 1.4 removed the movement speed cap so... its still useless, even quick modifers potion, effects and movespeed accessories you're still don't have enough movement speed to override the default horizontal flight speed of frozen wings... unless you use the panic necklace.
If this armor had like 50% movespeed it might be notable but right now the movespeed is pretty much useless.

So yeah... the stats are bad but can that set bonus redeem the set? Let's do some tests!

Part 2: The tests

Numbers are cool and all but what ultimately matters is how this translates into gameplay. I've done tests against the twins to see if its got good single target dps, and I've done tests against the destroyer and queen slime since orichalcum gets recommended for those bosses.
1612410762726.png

In the spirit of orichalcum armor all the accessories have been reforged to lucky
The armor is the only gear that changes throughout the trials

Here are my potions, I also used a bewitching table.
1612410832205.png
The Twins

1612488470139.png

Alright so, the weapons I use here are the Clockwork assault rifle with crystal bullets, and an adamantite repeater to inflict ichor. I picked these weapons because they're easy to obtain. If you take time to get stronger weapons it lean more in favor of adamantite.

In the first trials I used 3 dagger minions since I thought the high attack speed would be good to keep the orichaclum set bonus going.
Adamatitie has a slight advantage here, but its only by 2 seconds.

After that I removed the orichaclum leggings, since they don't add any offense its an easy way to see how much the set bonus on orichalcum is contributing. As you can see it performs much worse, a little over 15 seconds worse. And here is confirmation that orichalcum's raw offensive stats are worse than cobalt. Orichaclum is carried by its set bonus.

After that I was wondering how much the blade staff's high attack speed was actually helping, so I switched to sanguine bats, orichaclum performs about the same, I'd assume this is because the higher dps of the bats counteracted the slight reduction in petals, but adamantite got a more noticeable improvement since it only cares about the minion's dps.
The clockwork assault rifle has an attack cycle of 26 frames, if you're using a slower weapon it may be worth using blade over anguine to help generate petals.

I then tested spider, it turned out better then anything else so far, surprising considering all my accessories are lucky, then again sanguine staff is pretty tricky to get.

Some people suggetsed I test out mythril, it performed roughly as well as adamantite. The cumulative offensive gap between mythril and adamatite is only 3%, that's actually a smaller gap than orichalcum vs. cobalt offensive stats.

The Destroyer
1612488661925.png

This time I used the adamantite repeater with jester's arrows, and the sanguine staff as my minion.

Surprisingly adamantite and even mythril seems to have an even bigger advantage here than against the twins! I would assume that this is because with the adamantite repeater I'm able to aim in order to attempt to maximize the number of segments I hit. whereas with orichaclum petals I have to hope the fly in at a good angle to hit enough segments in order to make up for the lost repeater damage.

Queen Slime

1612488747571.png

I want back to the clockwork assault rifle and repeater for this fight, and I used the sanguine staff as a minion.

Once again mythril/adamatite out performs orichalcum.

Pirate Invasion

1612488893764.png

These are the resualts for the pirate invasion.
I used an adamantite repeater with jester's arrows as my main weapon.

What do the colors mean? Grey means I used 3 spider minions and every 4th minion onward a sanguine bat, red means all my minions were sanguine bats.

Even in a crowd control scenario mythril beat orichalcum.

Pirate Invasion: cheese edition

1612489171881.png

Here hide under a roof from all the dangers of the pirate invasion and let some spider minions do all the work. Since I'm using spiders as my main source of damage I changed my gear.
1612489679233.png

Accesories are reorged to menacing this time since minions can't crit.
Sinc espiders have immunity issues past 3 of them I was wondering if spiders + petals would out damage more better spiders. The spiders were latched onto the same enemy 95% of the time so this test was really just orichalcum set bonus vs. 28% summon damage.
And... turns out the summon damage was better.
I've noticed during this test that the petals were extremly innacurate, like there was only a roughly 10% chance that the petals would hit enemies that weren't already right next to the spiders.

Part 3: The conclusion
A bunch of people have been telling me that orichalcum was this underated armor set, and they would always bring up that 30dps number, when I found up how much of an undersell that number was I got excited, I was really hoping this armor would turn out but it just... didn't. It lost to mythril, an armor set most people don't think highly of, in both bosses and the pirate invasion. When I tried to use it for wall cheese it couldn't even compete with minions that had immunity issues. If anyone has another situation they'd expect orichalcum to do well in let me know.

Also sanguine staff is pretty strong considering that I had a whole build focused on ranged dps (with lucky modifers) and all I had to do was swap out adamatite for spider armor and I just straight up got more single target dps... maybye It's not fair comparing a WoF drop to the sanguine staff though.

tldr. if you have a fast attack speed orichacum's set bonus give you an extra flat 108dps (if the petals hit), however due to its low stats it loses to mythril and spider armor, both similarly cheap armors.

Attachments

• 1612411988314.png
    1612411988314.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 334
  • 1612413079923.png
    1612413079923.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 208
  • 1612413710835.png
    1612413710835.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 1612489628249.png
    1612489628249.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 1612489664610.png
    1612489664610.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I clicked on this thread thinking, "surely I haven't underestimated Orichalcum armor's true power?" It turns out that I didn't. Kinda disappointing, really. I was looking forward to being proven wrong. Not even best-in-slot against the Destroyer, yikes.

It's still pretty funny that you can use it to kill Hardmode bosses with a Pearlwood Bow though.

Hmm. I'm a little confused. You seem to have come to the conclusion that Orichalcum isn't as good as a higher tier armor, which is to be expected.

For me, Orichalcum's usefulness isn't against bosses, it's in areas like the jungle, where the petals are able to hit enemies in difficult to reach places. Events are also where it shines; the petals weakening or even dispatching enemies before they reach you.

Hmm. I'm a little confused. You seem to have come to the conclusion that Orichalcum isn't as good as a higher tier armor, which is to be expected.
People generally expect the 1.2 ore armors to be good, even the lower tier ones, a lot of people use palladium for the regeneration. Some people I've talked to said Orichalcum armor was good for the destroyer and queen slime, which was something I tested.

For me, Orichalcum's usefulness isn't against bosses, it's in areas like the jungle, where the petals are able to hit enemies in difficult to reach places. Events are also where it shines; the petals weakening or even dispatching enemies before they reach you.
It's potential use in caves is why I didn't dismiss it outright, although I usually use spider minions to attack stuff through blocks. Not sure how I would test its usefulness there, with bosses I can easily time how long it takes to kill them to get a general idea of its performace, but I can't really do 'armored skeleeton kill time' to fully judge its usefulness in caves.

I guess with events I could time pirate invasion pretty easily, old ones army is pretty binary with its ratings, you either win or you lose and it generally has a fixed time to it.

Damn, I didn’t know the petals were that quick. Gamepedia used to say they spawned about once a second, and I’ve used it before and never really felt like it was spawning that many either.

Also, I’ve never made Orchialcum out to be any better than anything made with the tier 3 ores, tbh. I’ve always seen it as a cheap alternative that you can obtain quicker in, say, multiplayer with 4 other people where getting that much titanium is a huge waste of your time, or if you simply don’t want to spend that much time searching and fishing for ores.

I also meant it preforms quite well against Destroyer or Queen Slime, not that it’s the absolute best for those, just that its set bonus gives it above-average crowding. Take the less than 10 second difference on Queen Slime - a lot closer than you’d expect from a tier 2 ore, although if it got closer than that on the Twins than I’ll stand down and say it isn’t all that good for crowds.

That’s why I’ve been saying it’s a decent armor set, I’ve never tried to say it was better than things like Adamantite.

That out of the way, I’d like to see how it compares to: Obsidian Armor, Spider Armor with Spiders specifically, or Mythril Armor, which are also sets that you’ll probably get if you don’t want to/can’t go for tier 3 ores. If it’s worse than most of those, I’ll shut up.

Last edited:
That out of the way, I’d like to see how it compares to: Obsidian Armor, Spider Armor with Spiders specifically, or Mythril Armor, which are also sets that you’ll probably get if you don’t want to/can’t go for tier 3 ores. If it’s worse than most of those, I’ll shut up.
Spider minions use static immunity so thier single target dps doesn't improve past 3, ironicly spider armor doesn't do much for spider minions. Also queen slime and the twins might be the two places spiders are at their worst, or at least queen slime's second phase.

Maybye against destroyer the spiders would spread out and attack multiple sgements.

I do know that obisdian armor + firecracker + spider minions is very effective agaisnst dreadnautelus since dreadnautelus doesn't move much when it isn't charging.

Bringing spider armor into the tests was a last minute, "what else can I try" moment. If I was planning to test that from the start I would have gone for menacing modifers instead of lucky.

I'm actually curious how Orichalcum compares to mythril now, mythril has the same 'cheapness' apeal.

Hot damn, I would not have expected Mythril to work as well as it did. 1.4.1 buff did a world of difference.

Well now instead of orchialcum, guess I have to go nag people who don’t care about how good Mythril is instead

Not surprising, I always thought it was basically a gimmick set bonus, most accessories or armour with secondary damage infliction seem to fall under that category compared to other sets with raw stat bonuses. Titanium Armour is a bit better in that regard as the ring of shards it spawns around you can do decent damage at close range and keep grounded mods away from you.

Back
Top Bottom