Just wondering, why is Skeletron Prime considered so difficult?

Tundra3201

Terrarian
I had full hallowed armor and was ready to go mining when I saw the message "The air is getting colder around you" display. I started freaking out but gathered my wits and went to my regular arena, still with a completely solid (30 wide x 15 high?) Destroyer box in the center of it. I decided to break down the sides of the box to let myself move and dodge more easily and also grabbed my Ironskin and Regeneration pots, Pho, and my Megashark with Crystal Bullets. As soon as he spawned, I stood on the platform directly below the box, and he positioned himself right inside the box, shooting his lasers into the box's stone bricks and not doing anything. I kept sneaking in some shots from the sides, and when he started spinning, I flew in circles around him while shooting him. I only had to use one healing potion when I slipped up and ran into him, but other than that I had no difficulty with anything except taking him down in time for dawn. (This was with no guides and kind of minimal preparations, although I did have a preset arena as I said before.)

So I was just wondering, why do people consider Skeletron Prime harder than The Twins (and sometimes even Plantera)? Is it the fact that it takes forever to kill him? Because it seems to me that with a half-decent arena and functional wings + a hardmode ranged weapon, he's ridiculously easy. (Please don't be rude and/or start arguing, I mean this to be a friendly discussion).

Skeletron prime is a very fast and versatile boss. They can inflict ranged damage which is an upgrade to it's bone counterpart. And if it isn't killed by morning you are basically screwed because it enters "Guardian Mode"

Well, you did exactly what you should do to kill Skeletron Prime so it was easy.
AND if you thought that was easy, use a golden shower and a Pirania Gun...

I find prime the hardest as there are 5 targets to dodge, and the arms soak up a lot of damage. Destroyer is segmented so piercing weapons wreck it (I've shredded it up with a light's bane even), which definitely makes it the easiest mech for me, made even easier if you have a nimbus rod. The Twins are second for me as they don't have arms to block damage and have very predictable attacks.. if you can dodge the EoC's lunges without rocket boots, you should be able to dodge Spaz's lunges now that you should have wings. Just not sure why so many find the twins the hardest..

My order of difficulty in Hardmode Bosses from Easiest to Hardest:
Destroyer, Golem, Prime, Plantera, Twins. :)red: you, Spazmatism.)
Remind me if I forgot any. I think I did.
(Duke Fishron not included because I haven't fought him recently enough to remember if I hate him.)

Yeah, really all the bosses are really easy if you're prepared. If you make a box from the Destroyer, he can't hit you with enough lasers; if you block off Prime's attacks, he can't even hit you; and if you build a skybridge to run away from the Twins, they can hardly hit you. Plantera can still be pretty annoying with an arena, but not really that hard. If you prepare, Golem is just... pitiful. (Poor guy.) And if you have a skybridge from Duke Fishron, you can easily kite him along while taking minimal damage.

He's very quick and some of his arms hit like a truck, making him a quite tanky opponent.

If you were to battle him , I'd reccomend doing it on a platform, that nulifies his bombs, as they fall through the platforms.

Probably because of how versatile he is. He has lots of weapons and such, but if you just keep moving he's pretty easy to beat. He looks pretty fearsome and most people will assume he's the strongest mecha since skeletron is usually the last one beaten compared to the others.

Everybody has different opinions. Honestly I thought the Destroyer was the hardest, than Skeletron Prime, than the twins being the easiest. Maybe it was because Frost armor does diddley squat to the Destroyer :p
Destroyer is actually quite difficult if you don't prepare, but with adequate preparation I'm pretty sure Frost Armor with a fast/multi-hitting melee weapon like a Phaseblade or Ice Sickle is very easy. (Or Jester Arrows, but that puts you at risk of getting hit by the head which does pretty massive damage.)

Destroyer is actually quite difficult if you don't prepare, but with adequate preparation I'm pretty sure Frost Armor with a fast/multi-hitting melee weapon like a Phaseblade or Ice Sickle is very easy. (Or Jester Arrows, but that puts you at risk of getting hit by the head which does pretty massive damage.)
I know, I've beaten him already several times :)
I'm talking about first time fights, against the Destroyer, Hallowed would probably fair better as most of Frost armor's power comes from the duel weapon types and the debuff.

I found him easier in full Hallowed gear, too. Seeing how you seem to know what you're doing, if you want to make that battle somewhat difficult, you'll have to try, let's say, Molten armor and a Dark Lance (have fund with that.)

For me,
Twins-->Destroyer(Freaking Lasers and Probes)--->Prime
Just like Pre-Hardmode :p

I'd say it's because of it's versatile attacks and high defense. If you have good mobility, the boss isn't much of a problem, but if you don't...

I had full hallowed armor and was ready to go mining when I saw the message "The air is getting colder around you" display. I started freaking out but gathered my wits and went to my regular arena, still with a completely solid (30 wide x 15 high?) Destroyer box in the center of it. I decided to break down the sides of the box to let myself move and dodge more easily and also grabbed my Ironskin and Regeneration pots, Pho, and my Megashark with Crystal Bullets. As soon as he spawned, I stood on the platform directly below the box, and he positioned himself right inside the box, shooting his lasers into the box's stone bricks and not doing anything. I kept sneaking in some shots from the sides, and when he started spinning, I flew in circles around him while shooting him. I only had to use one healing potion when I slipped up and ran into him, but other than that I had no difficulty with anything except taking him down in time for dawn. (This was with no guides and kind of minimal preparations, although I did have a preset arena as I said before.)

So I was just wondering, why do people consider Skeletron Prime harder than The Twins (and sometimes even Plantera)? Is it the fact that it takes forever to kill him? Because it seems to me that with a half-decent arena and functional wings + a hardmode ranged weapon, he's ridiculously easy. (Please don't be rude and/or start arguing, I mean this to be a friendly discussion).

Lets take an honest look here. You used hallowed armor and a megashark, both of which have to be crafted using materials from mechanical bosses, and you had an arena set up for him. I think it's a bit unfair to say he''s easy when you use items that you wouldn't normally have if he was your first mechanical boss. I can kill the WoF in less than 10 seconds using the Flaron, but that doesn't mean I would call him easy.

It would be better to judge all mechanical bosses when using adamantite gear or less. In that case, I would say the Twins are still the hardest, followed by Prime, and last is Destroyer. Even then it really depends on the arena setup as both destroyer and Prime can be cheesed with the right arena, yet are extremely difficult is you don't use any arena at all.

Back
Top Bottom