tModLoader Kalciphoz's RPG Mod

Are you playing expert mode or normal mode?

As for the crown of transcendence, it does what the button says: Normally you can only upgrade items until +7, but with Transcendence you can upgrade them once more.

Retired Adventurer will let you reforge armor in 1.2 (will fix compatibility issues first)

There already was one, but I just added the point about incompatibility with Magic Storage, autotrash, etc (the things listed in the discord).

Maybe you have auto-trash installed and turned on. Then you could accidentally click through the KRPG UI and, and set the gel to autotrash. It is hidden somewhere between 3rd and 4th raw of inventory.

Edit: After reading your second message it sounds more like the generall incompatibility of some mods. Those probably are not thorium/spirit and calamity. Hope this helps.

I too have experienced the NPC shop bug, but do not know what caused it nor how it resolved. I'll give more details as I discover.

Is there a level limit on random loot? I am leveled in the late 40s and did q blood moon and received no procedural loot whatsoever. I'm not in hardmode yet. It's fine if there's a cap, but at the very least mobs should drop their level capped loot rather than no loot at all. Thanks for adding "power level" to it. Very helpful.

As for reforging, I'm a bit sad that knockback, velocity, and size are no longer there. Elemental type is nice and all, but it's handy to have a larger weapon that keeps enemies at bay. Perhapa bring those back? Also, armor has stats now, but can't be reforged. Can you change that? For that matter, why not include armor or accessories in the procedurally generated loot and allow them to be upgraded at the anvil as well? The more variety the better.

As for the upgrading, I know I said this on reddit but I'd like to say it again now that I've played it more. I understand that the upgrade system is supposed to be an item sink, and it is, but it's still too unforgiving. Getting a +8 is nearly statistically impossible. Even if you use the crown that downgrades instead of destroys, that only compounds the issue, since now you need to upgrade it twice. Even if you had 10 of each crown, it's still incredibly unlikely that you'd make it to 8. Heck, you'd be lucky to get 7. This is even worse if you're upgrading difficult to acquire equipment like the Night's Edge. You're more likely to destroy it getting it to +5 rather than succeed. And that's a lot of work to get again.

Some good ways to balance this would be to 1) don't downgrade if you fail using the crown, just keep it as it is, and 2) when using the crown that increases the odds, raise it from 10% increase to 20% increase.

That would still require a lot of crowns for a safe upgrade, but it would at least be reasonable, and you still would only be able to do it on rare occasions for special items. It would still serve it's purpose as a loot grinder.

One last question: do enemies have elemental attacks? Is elemental resistance worth it?

@Kalciphoz I'm guessing mana crystals being useless is part of the mod to help ensure that people don't get too much mana too early or something? cus i just made and used a bunch of mana crystals and it didn't do anything. i saw it sort of work but the mana got reset back to what it was before using the crystal.

hey there, i tried your mod for a little bit, gotta say, its pretty amazing, but ive run into an issue, im currently using magic storage mod, wich is basicly applied energistic (from minecraft modding) for terraria, but since i installed ur mod, it makes all ui's from magic storage disappear, dont know if u can do anything about it :3

Is there a level limit on random loot? I am leveled in the late 40s and did q blood moon and received no procedural loot whatsoever. I'm not in hardmode yet. It's fine if there's a cap, but at the very least mobs should drop their level capped loot rather than no loot at all. Thanks for adding "power level" to it. Very helpful.

Problem was my beta testers found it inconvenient to get overrun with low-level loot, so I added this feature. Next update will have calibrated the numbers somewhat though.

As for reforging, I'm a bit sad that knockback, velocity, and size are no longer there. Elemental type is nice and all, but it's handy to have a larger weapon that keeps enemies at bay. Perhapa bring those back? Also, armor has stats now, but can't be reforged. Can you change that? For that matter, why not include armor or accessories in the procedurally generated loot and allow them to be upgraded at the anvil as well? The more variety the better.

Reforge system will see a lot of changes, except for accessories which will remain mostly the same. Retired Adventurer will have a sort of modifier-crafting-menu used to get more specific reforges for armour and weapons as might be desired for your build. You could in a sense consider the current modifiers to be the default ones, to be acquired by drops or by Goblin Tinkerer in the case of weapons.

As for the upgrading, I know I said this on reddit but I'd like to say it again now that I've played it more. I understand that the upgrade system is supposed to be an item sink, and it is, but it's still too unforgiving. Getting a +8 is nearly statistically impossible.

on average, using only transcendence and no crown of experience, 1 in 276 items starting from +0 will make it all the way to +8. However, you'd want to be using Crown of Experience from at least +6, and if you use it all the way, 1 in 55 items will make it all the way to +8. That said, it is not the intention that you will succeed at upgrading your items that far, generally, and also many weapons start around +4, where around 1 in 28 items will make it to +8. The primary purpose of the system is to serve as an item sink/filter, and originally items could only be upgraded to +5, with transcendence enabling them to get upgraded to +6, but that proved to be too common to serve as a proper item filter. In an ordinary playthrough, when you've familiarized yourself with the system, chances are you'll see a large amount of items hit +5, a good amount hit +6, and a small handful hitting +7, with +8 being rare occurrences though it does seem to occur sometimes into hardmode. This will probably alarm you to hear, but I am actually planning to extend the upgrade level system further in the future.

The purpose of making crowns rare is not to serve as a loot grinder, but to force you to reserve them for items that are difficult to acquire and which you're going to actively use. Even among those, you are meant to hold back a bit until the endgame, ie. probably not upgrading Night's Edge and Excalibur beyond +6 or so, but weapons like Terra Blade you might take the whole way. In a sense though, the primary purpose of the system is to counter the loot grinder, that is, give you something to do with all your loot by throwing it against itself until the pile is much smaller (up to 276 times smaller in this case)

One last question: do enemies have elemental attacks? Is elemental resistance worth it?

Enemy elemental damage is very powerful and it is mitigated more strongly by resistance than by defense. Higher resistance also lowers your chance of getting hit with ailments, which occurs based on a random roll that considers your life and your resistance only. This makes elemental resistance an extremely powerful defensive stat, but there's a cap on how much damage it can mitigate, so generally you want to have a decent amount of resistance and then go for defense. If you have low amounts of both and are wondering which to prioritize, I'd recommend going with resistance.

on average, using only transcendence and no crown of experience, 1 in 276 items starting from +0 will make it all the way to +8. However, you'd want to be using Crown of Experience from at least +6, and if you use it all the way, 1 in 55 items will make it all the way to +8. That said, it is not the intention that you will succeed at upgrading your items that far, generally, and also many weapons start around +4, where around 1 in 28 items will make it to +8. The primary purpose of the system is to serve as an item sink/filter, and originally items could only be upgraded to +5, with transcendence enabling them to get upgraded to +6, but that proved to be too common to serve as a proper item filter. In an ordinary playthrough, when you've familiarized yourself with the system, chances are you'll see a large amount of items hit +5, a good amount hit +6, and a small handful hitting +7, with +8 being rare occurrences though it does seem to occur sometimes into hardmode. This will probably alarm you to hear, but I am actually planning to extend the upgrade level system further in the future.

The purpose of making crowns rare is not to serve as a loot grinder, but to force you to reserve them for items that are difficult to acquire and which you're going to actively use. Even among those, you are meant to hold back a bit until the endgame, ie. probably not upgrading Night's Edge and Excalibur beyond +6 or so, but weapons like Terra Blade you might take the whole way. In a sense though, the primary purpose of the system is to counter the loot grinder, that is, give you something to do with all your loot by throwing it against itself until the pile is much smaller (up to 276 times smaller in this case)

Your purpose is clear and you've obviously ran the numbers... which makes sense on paper. However, from the player's perspective, it only serves the purpose to frustrate and discourage them from using the system altogether. It would be better to just drop less loot and give a less aggravating system with better options for occasional security. There's no reason to have so much loot if the goal is to just destroy most of it. Just because a system produces the desired results doesn't mean it's a system players are going to enjoy, and enjoyment is the most important part of a mod. The fact is, as long as people can go higher, they're going to want to go higher, and destroying up to 1/276 of all items, from a gameplay perspective, isn't very compelling, especially when some of those items were much more valuable than random procedural loot.

If you think it would be unbalanced, then lower the effectiveness that each +1 adds. It doesn't matter how much of a difference it makes, many players are still going to go the full distance. Besides, have you run the numbers on the average amount of Crowns of Permanence you would need to make it all the way to +8 from +0 on an item you absolutely refuse to lose? Given the fact that a failure downgrades it, it seems this would be an unreasonably high number as you continually went back and forth, with the odds in favor of back as you rose higher.

The main thing I'm trying to say here is not just to look on the desired outcome, but to consider the effect it has on the person playing the game. It's a lottery, but it's high risk, high investment, low payout. People tend to avoid those, either because they know better or because they failed so often that they are discouraged.

This is the best rpg mod i've seen so far, however i would like to see it work with the mod magic storage in the future beceause that would be amazing.

The reason i ask about mana crystals and life crystals is mostly because of another mod, the Expeditions content mod, two, possibly 3, of its quests require getting to specific numbers with health and mana which don't register when using this mod.

The reason i ask about mana crystals and life crystals is mostly because of another mod, the Expeditions content mod, two, possibly 3, of its quests require getting to specific numbers with health and mana which don't register when using this mod.
This will be resolved in the future version of the mod, life and mana crystals will work again.

Should still work, you just won't see the life increase except in the character selection menu, but heart crystals still increase the life stat; the mod just overrides a temporary life stat.

I like this mod, judging from what I've played thus far. My only major complaint appears to be addressed; Magic Storage compatibility will come eventually, right? It almost seems like an oversight on the author's part; this mod adds a huge number of items - to the point of adding 2 extra inventory screens - but isn't compatible with the high-end storage solution mod?

I like this mod, judging from what I've played thus far. My only major complaint appears to be addressed; Magic Storage compatibility will come eventually, right? It almost seems like an oversight on the author's part; this mod adds a huge number of items - to the point of adding 2 extra inventory screens - but isn't compatible with the high-end storage solution mod?
Odd as it seems, when I was developing the mod, I was simply not familiar with the Magic Storage mod. The compatibility issues will be fixed in the next update though.

Back
Top Bottom