Linux keyboard input bug involving Linux

Discussion in 'PC Bug Reports' started by pentastic, Apr 20, 2017.

1. pentastic

pentastic Terrarian

Ubuntu 16.10, Steam ver.

Held left/right (at least) keys are being interpreted as repeat inputs rather than held resulting in sticky slow movement and dash spam while wearing dash gear.

Tapping a key such as up, down, or a hotbar key reverts to expected movement until left/right is released.

Issue is frequent yet inconsistent, started with 1.3.5, comes with no FPS drops (remains at 60 throughout), persists across keyboards and even a controller sending keyboard events. Marathon Medalist is unlocked.

The Wisp in this video can provide a view into the IO, but its jittering is mostly lost to tinypic's compression, let me know if you want an emailed copy (16.5MB)

http://tinypic.com/r/25jgkl5/9

2. samrocketman

samrocketman Terrarian

I also experience this on Terraria 1.3.5.1. Please note, I did not experience this on Terraria 1.3.4.4. If I hold the left or right key down my character slows to a near stop and jitters. However, if I jump while holding down left or right then the character continues to run normally without the jitter. I also experience this jittering when attempting to climb up ropes. Jumping also resolves climbing up ropes quickly.

Code:
    NAME="Ubuntu"
    VERSION="16.04.2 LTS (Xenial Xerus)"
    ID=ubuntu
    ID_LIKE=debian
    PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS"
    VERSION_ID="16.04"
    HOME_URL="http://www.ubuntu.com/"
    SUPPORT_URL="http://help.ubuntu.com/"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
    VERSION_CODENAME=xenial
    UBUNTU_CODENAME=xenial

Edit:
    I would also like to add that I'm connecting to a locally run dedicated server. I don't use any mods so both my client game and dedicated server are vanilla and the same version.

Edit edit:
    A friend of mine plays the PC version on their Mac. They do not experience this issue so it seems to be limited to Linux only.

3. Leinfors

Leinfors Quality Assurance Staff Member Moderator Re-Logic

alessio_110 and samrocketman like this.
  4. samrocketman

samrocketman Terrarian

I am highly proficient using Linux (it's my day job). Anything I can do to help let me know. I will continue to investigate.

Update: found a temporary fix.

1. From the terminal I can disable key repeat via "xset r off".
    2. Opened Terraria but I still saw the issue. I alt-tabbed away from Terraria and noticed my keyboard repeat was reactivated.
    3. While Terraria is open I alt-tabbed to a terminal and ran "xset r off" again. When I go back to Terraria the issue was resolved.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. carlosbrador

carlosbrador Terrarian

I'm having the same issue where my player moves alone and pretty much fights what Im trying to do

6. Leinfors

7. Leinfors

@pentastic, @samrocketman and @carlosbrador, try go into your video settings in Terraria and change Frameskip to either On or Subtle (you can try both to see which works best). Let me know if that offers any improvement.

Video.png

8. carlosbrador

carlosbrador Terrarian

@Leinfors yes I am , im running ubuntu version 17.04

and I know for sure my frame skip is on subtle , ill check later when i get home to see if changing it to "on" makes any difference.

9. pentastic

pentastic Terrarian

@Leinfors, I restarted the game between trying each setting.

-Frameskip was on initially.

-Subtle seemed to show an improvement allowing my speed boots to kick in without tapping another key. But my wisp was still sluggish in some directions and after about 30 seconds the issue took over again. I had seen periods like that with frameskip on, being what I meant about inconsistency.

-Off showed no difference.

10. Leinfors

Thanks for the information guys, look forward to hearing whether "On" helps for you @carlosbrador. Then I can find out what the next step will be.

11. pentastic

pentastic Terrarian

@Leinfors is frameskip what the second number in the fps display relates to?

12. Leinfors

No, that has to do with in-game calculations I believe. Frameskip doesn't impact it.

13. pentastic

pentastic Terrarian

Alright, I tried a few more restarts. Subtle is consistently starting with some improvement and degrades rapidly over time.

Leinfors likes this.
  14. Leinfors

Alright, I'm going to go log the issue with all of the info you've provided. We'll look into it further from here.

15. pentastic

pentastic Terrarian

Cool beans. I was reminded of something similar. I was having a bug where for the first minute or so after entering a world or alt-tabbing back into the game my mousewheel was very inconsistent about scrolling through the hotbar and there was no system resource issue. 1.3.5 cleared that up completely but it did feel similar.

16. carlosbrador

carlosbrador Terrarian

@Leinfors as i said before it was on subtle changing it to on or off makes no difference and like pentastic says it starts okay but then the problem starts occurring.

17. azathothsScourge

azathothsScourge Terrarian

I'm experiencing the same bug, and toggling Frame Skip didn't seem to work as well for me. I'm using Ubuntu 16.04

Code:
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
    Release:    16.04
    Codename:    xenial

18. carlosbrador

carlosbrador Terrarian

@azathothsScourge after you open the game try what @samrocketman said , it works for me like a charm the thing is that you will need to do it every time you open the game for the first time

19. 8Shusui

8Shusui Terrarian

20. azathothsScourge

azathothsScourge Terrarian

@carlosbrador I just executed the command via terminal and it seems to have worked as well, but I don't want to have to do it every time I want to play Terraria.

I just downloaded the 1.3.5.3 version and the issue is still there.