Linux keyboard input bug involving Linux

Discussion in 'PC Bug Reports' started by pentastic, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Morse

Morse Terrarian

1.3.5.3, Fedora 25

Same issue, frameskip didn't help.

2. alessio_110

alessio_110 Terrarian

Hi all,

I can confirm that I also experienced such problem on my Laptop (Linux OS). Apparently I have fixed it using @samrocketman suggestion, only step 1. I have opened Terraria through steam twice and both times I needed to input such code on the terminal and the issue went away. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Ale

3. MytwoleftFeet

MytwoleftFeet Terrarian

1.3.5.3, Solus os same issues down to the "T". The X set command works for the session only.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  4. Mental Mouse

Mental Mouse Terrarian

I am/was getting much the same thing (Ubuntu on a PC, 1.3.5.3 downloaded early this month), but it's fairly clear that there's some kind of queue overflow for keyboard input (but only for movement and jumping); when the avatar stops jittering around, it's liable to finish up with the same movements and jumps that I was trying to do while it was spasming. Weirdly, combat attacks are completely unaffected, and I can attack even while the avatar is stuck jerking around or running through the delayed movements.

I tried the "xset r off" command mentioned above, which gave strictly temporary relief -- I think that's a global X setting which gets overwritten when a new program launches.

What worked for me was to go to the (Gnome) control panel and turn off keyboard repeating altogether. When I do that, the bug goes away and stays away. Obviously, that has some issues for other programs....

ETA: I do have the Marathon Medalist achievement, and have seen the bug since I got it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  5. Mental Mouse

Mental Mouse Terrarian

I note that there's a similar bug reported for Windows 7.

6. mbfrog

mbfrog Terrarian

This issue started for me with 1.3.5. Has input handling changed in that version by any chance? (TL;DR: that's very likely the root cause of the problem)

Fiddling with frame-skip doesn't do anything (steady 60fps, and freaking zombies don't lag!). This is indeed the same issue as https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-3-5-holding-spacebar-issue.56772/. @samrocketman 's fix only alleviates the issue: as soon as I disable keyboard repeat, jumps behave properly but left-right character motion is still kinda sluggish.

A few details about my config if that helps:

AMD FX 6300, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050ti, 8GB RAM.
    Ubuntu 16.04 / Unity desktop: Terraria 1.3.4 was working just fine, while Terraria 1.3.5 exhibited the input issues.
    Ubuntu 17.04 / Unity desktop: Only tested Terraria 1.3.5, input broken as well.

I also tested Terraria 1.3.4 and 1.3.5 on a laptop (i5/GTX 940m) with Ubuntu 17.04: 1.3.4 ran just fine, as for 1.3.5 mouse input was not working at all, even in the menus. I had to run my GOG version of Terraria through the steam-runtime launcher (which sets-up an Ubuntu 12.10 environment IIRC) to get it to work at all. But in the end, It exhibits the same issue with keyboard repeat.

7. Leinfors

Leinfors Quality Assurance Staff Member Moderator Re-Logic

I updated the title of this thread because this is very distinctly NOT related to the Marathon Medalist conflict, which shares very distinctive symptoms which are completely unlike the Linux input issues.

Continuing to look into this issue, as its been reported somewhat frequently, and does seem exclusive to Linux.

8. Metruption

Metruption Terrarian

I am still experiencing this issue on fedora 26. I have tried all of the fixes related to fame skip and found none of them to work. This issue did not exist before Terraria version 1.3.5.

9. mbfrog

mbfrog Terrarian

@Metruption: does diabling keyboard repeat work for you?

10. Darth_BOR

Darth_BOR Terrarian

Quickly pressing 2 movement keys and the second pressed is getting stuck. Sometimes though stucks wrong direction (eg. pressing left and then up, down key gets stuck instead of up).
    xset r off, frameskip on/off/subtle and disabling key repeating in kde control panel does not help.

kubuntu 17.10

11. Metruption

Metruption Terrarian

When playing VVVVVV (another game that has this issue) I noticed that I would receive a series of phantom inputs after releasing a key if I hold it for too long. During a little searching I found this github issue that has lots of useful information about what this bug might be originating from.

https://github.com/glfw/glfw/issues/747