Linux Keyboard/Key repeat issues on Linux

Erinaceus

Terrarian
Hi,
I play terraria on a linux System (Ubuntu 18.04). I started playing again a few days ago, after more than a year without playing.
When I played the last time before the break, on the same computer (though on another ubuntu version that still used unity instead of gnome), everything worked fine.

When I started playing again, I noticed several issues for which I could not find any solution on google or in this forum:
- the dash attack (with the solar flare armor of the shield of cthulhu) is triggered while walking normally, which makes it very hard to move just five blocks
- the stealth mode (e.g. of the vortex armor) is difficult to activate/deactivate
- ropes are very slow to climb up/down
- pegagus boots and their derivates don't work

My hypothesis is that the game somehow interpretes a hold-down key as several down/up keystrokes instead of a continuous key down. That would explain all the issues I described above.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas for a solution? Are there any configurations on my system or in the game I should try?
Other games work fine.

PS: If the solution requires me to mess with config files by hand, that's no problem. Im used to it.

I found a workaround: When I turn off key repeat globally (i.e. for the X session), I can play fine:
xset r off
It did reset though after changing the world and the characters, but after entering the command in the shell again, key repeat stayed off.

It is not a perfect solution, but it works.

I also have this issue, though I only noticed it while walking. Player walks with several speed levels until he stands still and acts as if the walk button gets smashed very fast.

Erinaceus workaround appears to be working for me (Thank you very much, I was not able to play the game like that for 2 years by now!).

I am using Terraria on Ubuntu 17 with window manager Unity.
(I also had/have big issues on Ubuntu 18 with XFCE/Unity, but my window manager setup there is chaos, cannot confirm this issue there rn)

Please fix this issue for us :)

Back
Top Bottom