Khaios' Build Spectacle

What "class" do you prefer to play in Terraria?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most Impressive o_O

while i'm a builder, I'm not even in the caliber below you, but rock bottom compared to you.

All I can say is well done and keep up the good work!

Im still amazed... wow.

-Chris

Most Impressive o_O

while i'm a builder, I'm not even in the caliber below you, but rock bottom compared to you.

All I can say is well done and keep up the good work!

Im still amazed... wow.

-Chris
Thank you for the kind words, and I'm very glad that you like my builds, but I doubt highly that you are "rock bottom" compared to me. Most of us (myself included) tend to judge our own work harder than we judge others, and personally, I think there are quite a lot of builders out there that show more skill than I have >.< hehe.

I'd enjoy seeing some of your builds sometime! You should consider starting a build thread. It's always fun to see new builders on TCF ^.^

Happy building!

khaios, are you using any in-game mod for the building?
No. I do use a bit of TEdit, but nothing in game. If you see custom tiles in any of my builds, it's only because the build is specifically meant for the Super Terraria World mod. So, I guess more technically, my builds are being modded after being built in vanilla ;)

hmm ok i see, so i guess you play on a "private server" for getting items when you build for vanilla?
Nope. I use this inventory editor to stock up on supplies. I spend a bit of time thinking of every material I may need for a particular build, then I load up my bank, safe, and inventory. It's not as effective as hosting a private TShock server, I know, but I'm stuck in my ways >.< haha

Happy hump day, Terrarians!

Today, I'm bringing you a small spoiler for the upcoming STW mod update! We've been working on completely revamping Odin's Fjord, from the ground up. Enjoy a few spoilers showcasing the new entrance to to Fjord, a viking boat construction, and a miniboss room! ^.^

Fjord Entrance 2.png

Viking Dock.png

Frozen Mirror Room.png

That's awesome coming out of the dark corridors and into the bright white and blue of where the ship is tethered. Very cool.

Holy hell, dude. This fortress is beyond impressive. I couldn't build something even CLOSE to that if I had all of the time in the world.
Also I'm stuck on console. That too. :/ (Computer is going on 11 years old)

I saw your signature and I was just like: You must make a Greek/Roman themed sky city (It doesn't have to be massive, just a proof of concept)
Keep up the incredible work!

Holy hell, dude. This fortress is beyond impressive. I couldn't build something even CLOSE to that if I had all of the time in the world.
Also I'm stuck on console. That too. :/ (Computer is going on 11 years old)

I saw your signature and I was just like: You must make a Greek/Roman themed sky city (It doesn't have to be massive, just a proof of concept)
Keep up the incredible work!
Haha, thanks! Glad you liked the build! I can't wait to get back home (on vacation atm), and finish the village.

As for the floating Greek village, it's something I'd like to do, and have thought about when I made my signature, but I won't have the time until I get caught up on STW and finish my adventure map ;D

Holy god, Odin's Fjord is updating ! Please take my heart, master

IKR!? I can't wait for the updated fjord to get released. They are just waiting for me to get home, and finish the Viking village ^.^

Hey Khaios,

Really like your progress so far on the STW mod! Everything looks so stunning!

Sorry if I'm nagging too much here but I was wondering again if you've finished the Pirate Treasure Trove build yet and if you're willing to share it. Or is it part of the STW mod now?

Hey Khaios,

Really like your progress so far on the STW mod! Everything looks so stunning!

Sorry if I'm nagging too much here but I was wondering again if you've finished the Pirate Treasure Trove build yet and if you're willing to share it. Or is it part of the STW mod now?
Thank you!

As for the Pirate's Trove, it's been done for quite some time. At least a couple of months. I've since learned to make better looking palm trees, so I may update it later, but at the moment I don't have any plans to revisit it.

The download has also been available for quite some time. In the original post, under the "Downloads" spoiler, you will find this build in the "NPC Showcase Series" world to the western beach. Hope you enjoy it ^.^

Thank you!

As for the Pirate's Trove, it's been done for quite some time. At least a couple of months. I've since learned to make better looking palm trees, so I may update it later, but at the moment I don't have any plans to revisit it.

The download has also been available for quite some time. In the original post, under the "Downloads" spoiler, you will find this build in the "NPC Showcase Series" world to the western beach. Hope you enjoy it ^.^

Ah! The word "Pirate" in the description skipped me. Thank you so much for this! It's really great that you're willing to let us enjoy your great builds. :happy:

Hiya Khaios! Just wondering if it won't bother you if i create an underwater research facility in starbound taking some inspiration from your Deep-Sea Research Facility? It won't be a copy or anything close for that matter, just the style of some small things you built and twisting them around to fit in starbound and along with the rest of my facility.

Hiya Khaios! Just wondering if it won't bother you if i create an underwater research facility in starbound taking some inspiration from your Deep-Sea Research Facility? It won't be a copy or anything close for that matter, just the style of some small things you built and twisting them around to fit in starbound and along with the rest of my facility.
It will not bother me one bit! I'm glad that I could be of inspiration to you ^.^ I'd be excited to see the final product when you're done! Happy building :D

@Khaios do you have any tips for a novice builder? I am trying to get better, and any tips would help a bunch!

Hmmm. I guess my biggest suggestion is to be willing to experiment. If I have an idea for a build, and I have no idea how to accomplish it, I will try anything I can think of to get there. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I fail, sometimes I learn a new trick that doesn't exactly help me for the project, but is extremely useful for others. Don't be afraid to break out of your comfort zones, and try new things. Accepting player build requests is pretty helpful for this. If you get some of the more cliche requests, try and think of a way to make them unique to you. I often get castle and angler house requests, so I try to make them as different as possible.

Google is your friend. Use it well! If I ever need inspiration, or if I'm attempting to build a style of structure I've never attempted before, I will frequently use google to find images to give me ideas of my own. Also, looking at what other people have built on Terraria is a fantastic way of learning new tricks. I don't recommend directly copying their work (without permission), but if you see that they've done something that looks great, but you have no idea how they did it, just ask! Every builder I know would be happy to share. Not all of my special tricks were developed by me. I've learned quite a lot from the Terraria community.

Now for a few bits of advice more directly related to building, I guess, haha. Never underestimate the value of paint and actuators. Paint can make nearly any type of wood look relatively close, and can give you new "stone" looking options. It can also be used to make actuated items look closer to being "active." If you actuate stone slab, for instance, then paint it white, it will look similar to a normal stone slab block.

Actuators are amazing for creating window frames, pillars, and supports. There are other great uses of them, so just play around with it! Pumpkin block holds paint extremely well, and gives a fabric appearance. When placed on the sides of a window, they look like drapes. Actuate them, and they can be freely walked in front of. Some hammer platforms are a great way to "hold" those drapes up. One warning about actuators. If you are using them inside a house, make sure there are background walls behind them. An actuated block does not count as a wall, and may ruin the validity of your housing, or allow monsters to spawn inside (they can spawn in front of actuated blocks, as long as there isn't a background wall behind them).

Windows don't just have to be glass walls. Fences of all types work equally well, and you can even leave gaps without losing the validity of your housing, as long as the gap in the walls is no longer or taller than four blocks. Just be warned that if you choose to leave holes, monsters can spawn inside of them, so during a blood moon, regardless of your friendly npc's, you may get monsters inside your house.

Don't use only one type of material for a build (personal preference). My floors are almost never the same materials as my walls and ceilings. Usually, my floors will contain two material types, and my ceilings may as well. I personally prefer the floor and ceiling to be two thick, and walls to be two (or sometimes three) blocks thick, unless the build is very tiny. Find out what works well together, experiment with what blocks blend, and what blocks do not. Sometimes it looks better to have them blend, and sometimes it looks better if they have a definite line. That's up to you! Blocks hammered in half will always blend into the block below them (even if the blocks naturally do not blend with each other), and ones hammered to an angle will always blend with the block above and/or the block below them, but not the block to the side (unless the block types blend normally).

I could go on for days, but this is already TL;DR worthy, so I'll end it now. Hope some of this mumbo jumbo could prove useful to you ^.^

Happy building!

Hmmm. I guess my biggest suggestion is to be willing to experiment. If I have an idea for a build, and I have no idea how to accomplish it, I will try anything I can think of to get there. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I fail, sometimes I learn a new trick that doesn't exactly help me for the project, but is extremely useful for others. Don't be afraid to break out of your comfort zones, and try new things. Accepting player build requests is pretty helpful for this. If you get some of the more cliche requests, try and think of a way to make them unique to you. I often get castle and angler house requests, so I try to make them as different as possible.

Google is your friend. Use it well! If I ever need inspiration, or if I'm attempting to build a style of structure I've never attempted before, I will frequently use google to find images to give me ideas of my own. Also, looking at what other people have built on Terraria is a fantastic way of learning new tricks. I don't recommend directly copying their work (without permission), but if you see that they've done something that looks great, but you have no idea how they did it, just ask! Every builder I know would be happy to share. Not all of my special tricks were developed by me. I've learned quite a lot from the Terraria community.

Now for a few bits of advice more directly related to building, I guess, haha. Never underestimate the value of paint and actuators. Paint can make nearly any type of wood look relatively close, and can give you new "stone" looking options. It can also be used to make actuated items look closer to being "active." If you actuate stone slab, for instance, then paint it white, it will look similar to a normal stone slab block.

Actuators are amazing for creating window frames, pillars, and supports. There are other great uses of them, so just play around with it! Pumpkin block holds paint extremely well, and gives a fabric appearance. When placed on the sides of a window, they look like drapes. Actuate them, and they can be freely walked in front of. Some hammer platforms are a great way to "hold" those drapes up. One warning about actuators. If you are using them inside a house, make sure there are background walls behind them. An actuated block does not count as a wall, and may ruin the validity of your housing, or allow monsters to spawn inside (they can spawn in front of actuated blocks, as long as there isn't a background wall behind them).

Windows don't just have to be glass walls. Fences of all types work equally well, and you can even leave gaps without losing the validity of your housing, as long as the gap in the walls is no longer or taller than four blocks. Just be warned that if you choose to leave holes, monsters can spawn inside of them, so during a blood moon, regardless of your friendly npc's, you may get monsters inside your house.

Don't use only one type of material for a build (personal preference). My floors are almost never the same materials as my walls and ceilings. Usually, my floors will contain two material types, and my ceilings may as well. I personally prefer the floor and ceiling to be two thick, and walls to be two (or sometimes three) blocks thick, unless the build is very tiny. Find out what works well together, experiment with what blocks blend, and what blocks do not. Sometimes it looks better to have them blend, and sometimes it looks better if they have a definite line. That's up to you! Blocks hammered in half will always blend into the block below them (even if the blocks naturally do not blend with each other), and ones hammered to an angle will always blend with the block above and/or the block below them, but not the block to the side (unless the block types blend normally).

I could go on for days, but this is already TL;DR worthy, so I'll end it now. Hope some of this mumbo jumbo could prove useful to you ^.^

Happy building!
Thanks for the tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom