Khaios' Build Spectacle

What "class" do you prefer to play in Terraria?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Terrarians! All of my STW work is caught up, so I started working on my adventure map again. I wanted to add a keypad for a combination lock, something I haven't built since I designed one nearly two years ago. The old version was from when I was just teaching myself wiring mechanics, and it wasn't perfect. It relied on spear traps, which meant due to their cooldowns it was slow, and the cooldowns could be exploited to input an incorrect number without resetting the lock. That's something I didn't want in the map, so I decided to re-design my 3x3 combination lock.

The con of this design will be immediately obvious when you open the spoiler. It's large. Very large. There are definitely more compact versions of the lock out there. The thing is, all of the ones I've seen either require you to press a reset button if you get the combination wrong, or you have to press the keypad a certain number of times before a reset (i.e. if the password is 1-3-2-5, and you press 2 at the start, you must press three more inputs before the lock resets and you can start over). Not only does this reveal the number of digits in your combination, but it doesn't feel as smooth.

The key ideas behind my lock were these: automatically resetting (any time you press an incorrect number in the sequence, the lock resets), a lock that could easily adjust the number of inputs (for this example, I have 9), a lock that could easily expand/reduce the number of digits in the combination (for this example, I have 7), a lock where changing the combination requires only minor wire adjustments, and no more traps in the design. This lock design does accomplish all of those goals. Admittedly, since I'm completely self-taught in wiring mechanics, there very well could be a way to meet these goals in a more compact version. This was just the best I could come up with on my own.

Since the main goal behind this lock is for me to save it as a TEdit schematic, which I can easily input into a new area, quickly change the combination, and easily hook up some input wires, this size of this design is a good trade-off for me. Now that it's built once, I'll never have to build it again (as long as I can use TEdit), so the biggest problem is hiding it off screen, which isn't too hard tbh.

The spoiler below will have screenshots of the wiring. I have a gif, but I can't seem to upload it to TCF atm, but you can check it out on my twitter page if you'd like. The lock is currently in a world I'm not wanting to share, but if anyone wants a download of the lock, I'd be happy to get it imported into a new world for you ^.^ If you'd like an in-depth explanation of the components, and how it works, I could do that as well. I've already written a wall of text, however (sorry), so I'll only write it if somebody wants.

105600_20180305125652_1.png

105600_20180305125704_1.png

Heya Terrarians!

I haven't released recent spoilers on my adventure map, largely due to the fact that I haven't worked on it much since the holidays. Between STW work, IRL stuff, and some other small projects I've been working on, I haven't had time. That changed last week, when I found myself with time enough to start working on the map again. So, have a spoiler! There's still a bit of work that needs to be done before the map comes out, so I won't even estimate a release again, but I'm going to keep working hard at the map so that it's worth the wait! Hope you enjoy ^.^

105600_20180308080127_1.png

Thank you! Glad to see you're back! ^.^

-------------------------------------------

Hello everyone!
It's been a while since I've uploaded something, and for good reason! I've been spending the past couple of weeks working on a rather large project for Super Terraria World. I'll be uploading an album of that in the next week or so, as soon as all of the custom sprites have been coded in. For now, I thought I'd share a teaser bit of that project. Enjoy The Pit!

I'm surprised not to see Jabba the Hut's barge floating over it...

How did you make the stands on either side of the fire?
They are two types of torches turned off, and painted brown. It's been a while since I did that build, but iirc, the bottom torches (same level as the fire) are normal torches, and the ones directly on top of them (same level as the living mahogany) are bone torches.

They are two types of torches turned off, and painted brown. It's been a while since I did that build, but iirc, the bottom torches (same level as the fire) are normal torches, and the ones directly on top of them (same level as the living mahogany) are bone torches.
Clever. When I first saw them a while ago, I thought they might have been iron fences painted brown, but after trying it I saw that it wasn't. I ended up using wooden beams which I was quite pleased with; they look like they can take the weight of such a huge slab of meat.

I've also found that a flying snake banner looks like a raw slab of meat hanging upside-down when painted deep red (or standard red if you want bone showing). I've trying to find something to hang it from that looks realistic.

Clever. When I first saw them a while ago, I thought they might have been iron fences painted brown, but after trying it I saw that it wasn't. I ended up using wooden beams which I was quite pleased with; they look like they can take the weight of such a huge slab of meat.

I've also found that a flying snake banner looks like a raw slab of meat hanging upside-down when painted deep red (or standard red if you want bone showing). I've trying to find something to hang it from that looks realistic.
It would definitely be nice if you could hang banners from a background wall as well as a tile, but alas...

It would definitely be nice if you could hang banners from a background wall as well as a tile, but alas...
There always the floating banner trick, but I'm after a good hook-like prop to hang it from. I've tried a single chain piece with a stepped platform (painted grey) underneath, which looked OK.

Very cool! All of these are so impressive! I love the different ways you've used the various combinations of blocks and walls to new effect!
Totally not admiring this creeping on this checking this out for inspiration... (or am I?) ~:naughty:

Hello Terrarians! All of my STW work is caught up, so I started working on my adventure map again. I wanted to add a keypad for a combination lock, something I haven't built since I designed one nearly two years ago. The old version was from when I was just teaching myself wiring mechanics, and it wasn't perfect. It relied on spear traps, which meant due to their cooldowns it was slow, and the cooldowns could be exploited to input an incorrect number without resetting the lock. That's something I didn't want in the map, so I decided to re-design my 3x3 combination lock.

The con of this design will be immediately obvious when you open the spoiler. It's large. Very large. There are definitely more compact versions of the lock out there. The thing is, all of the ones I've seen either require you to press a reset button if you get the combination wrong, or you have to press the keypad a certain number of times before a reset (i.e. if the password is 1-3-2-5, and you press 2 at the start, you must press three more inputs before the lock resets and you can start over). Not only does this reveal the number of digits in your combination, but it doesn't feel as smooth.

The key ideas behind my lock were these: automatically resetting (any time you press an incorrect number in the sequence, the lock resets), a lock that could easily adjust the number of inputs (for this example, I have 9), a lock that could easily expand/reduce the number of digits in the combination (for this example, I have 7), a lock where changing the combination requires only minor wire adjustments, and no more traps in the design. This lock design does accomplish all of those goals. Admittedly, since I'm completely self-taught in wiring mechanics, there very well could be a way to meet these goals in a more compact version. This was just the best I could come up with on my own.

Since the main goal behind this lock is for me to save it as a TEdit schematic, which I can easily input into a new area, quickly change the combination, and easily hook up some input wires, this size of this design is a good trade-off for me. Now that it's built once, I'll never have to build it again (as long as I can use TEdit), so the biggest problem is hiding it off screen, which isn't too hard tbh.

The spoiler below will have screenshots of the wiring. I have a gif, but I can't seem to upload it to TCF atm, but you can check it out on my twitter page if you'd like. The lock is currently in a world I'm not wanting to share, but if anyone wants a download of the lock, I'd be happy to get it imported into a new world for you ^.^ If you'd like an in-depth explanation of the components, and how it works, I could do that as well. I've already written a wall of text, however (sorry), so I'll only write it if somebody wants.

How did you get the middle switch of the keypad to activate the right logic gate without one of the outer switches activating the same one as well as its own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom