Khaios' Build Spectacle

What "class" do you prefer to play in Terraria?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Loving 1.3.1! Here's a 3x3 combination lock I made!
Right now, the password is only four digits long, but it is easily expandable!

If people want a guide, it'll take a bit of time. New to this whole recording thing, and figuring out how to make a decent video may take a while ^.^ Hehe.

Edit:
Added a world save containing this lock to the thread's original post, if you want to check it out in game!

Last edited:
WOW! Your builds are awesome!
I don't know where to start, what special thing i like the most :D

But i wondered about one point:
Awesome layouts, nice details, everything is nice BUT he used no painting for shadows. It is a mighty tool and adds a lot of depth to your buildings.

I will reload my screenshots soon, then there will be a reference for.

Nice to come back to Terraria and find new Stuff ingame and outside of it <3

Greets

BUT he used no painting for shadows.
First off, thank you for the compliments ^.^

As for adding shadows:
It's a really good suggestion, and I'm glad that you've decided to use them. I've thought about doing that before, but decided against it. There are a few reasons for that.

For starters, this game is 2D. While I do occasionally build where it looks like more layers to give some depth, I feel that painting in shadows implies light sources that simply aren't present. For starters, the sun is always behind the build, and I generally have light sources spread through the interior of my builds. So, if I painted a "shadow" behind an object, I would have to take those lights in mind first. When I do that, there would simply be no shadows. Any light from the sun would be behind any objects, sending the shadow towards your screen (which you can't see since the game is in 2D). Any light sources you place are on the walls, or directly in front of them, which would cast shadows on the side of other objects/walls/floors, but again since Terraria is in 2D, you wouldn't be able to see them.

Secondly, if I limit myself to painting walls to get a shadow effect, anything other than a straight line will look choppy and bad, since you have to paint a full square at a time. This can be countered by using actuated blocks, but then it severely limits the space I have to place other blocks and/or furniture. Shadows in this manner will always have hard lines, which I really don't like.

If I was building isometrically, like @Curt0815 @rulick15 or @WarWar I could definitely justify using shadows as you suggest ;D I'm not at the moment, but I might eventually.

That being said, I do use shadows on occasion, for background doors or tunnels, where my current placed light sources wouldn't have any effect. You can see it in builds like Praesidium Fortress and Skeleton Merchant's Cavern.

Again, thank you very much for the compliment and the suggestion! It is a good one. I just wanted to explain my reasoning for why I've decided not to use paint in this fashion. I'm not trying to persuade you not to, of course! Paint by all means! It's just not my personal preference ^.^

Welcome back to TCF, and happy building ^.^

Reactions: Eiv
Could I get a fisherman's hut please? I cant build one without it being a fortress wall of palm wood ;-;

Sorry for the wait, super busy these past couple of weeks. Your fisherman's hut is finished! As I said in my reply, I had done a few angler homes already, and I wasn't sure what type of fishing hut you were hoping for, so I just decided on something I hadn't tried before, and I made a floating fishing up. It was raining when I finished, and went to take the screenshot, but I felt it fit. Hope you enjoy! ^.^

The Rickety Pontoon.jpg
Could you take a moment to look at my w.i.p adventure map? I'd like some tips on how to improve on the aesthetics.

Did you just want my opinion on your aesthetics, or did you also want my opinions on the map as a whole? Too bad, you're getting both >: )

On the whole, I like the way it looks. The entrance is very nice, especially those pillars. I also like the goddess' figure on the background wall.

I think you could benefit from some slopes. It might help to smooth the edges on the goddess. I also think it might look nice to have a smooth roof, but "stair like" bricks at your feet.
I'd also suggest using a wider variety of blocks. Sandstone slab looks wonderful, and you can make some great patterns with sandstone brick and slab combinations. Brown painted rune wallpaper fits in really well in this setting. You can also use palladium columns (but actuated) for another pillar option.

I really can't offer much more than that for appearances. It's looking pretty good, and there's only so much you can pull off with the interior of one ;D I'd also suggest taking a look at what other people have chosen to do with their pyramids. If I'm lacking for an idea, I usually use google. Here's part of the interior for a pyramid-dungeon I built for a mod, if you're curious about what block choices I'd use.

Now, for my thoughts on the adventure map itself.

Firstly, if you double jump just right, you can get on top of the pyramid.
I would move the player sensors under the chests to the side a bit. It's a good idea, the way you're using them, but players (like me) might open a chest while it's a max distance, meaning they can loot the chest without ever tripping the sensor, which might lead to confusion later.

The puzzle for the keypad is a bit vague. The last clue is extremely straight forward, but filling in the middle digits seemed a bit off to me. The puzzle gave me which digits to use, but (personally) I felt it didn't help decipher what order the second and third digits should be in. Regardless, it is doable. My main complaint with it is that it is done via the announcement box. The puzzle is rather wordy, and they don't stay on screen very long. Since you can't press [enter] to see what was previously announced, you are forced to spam the button until you've thought everything through. Personally, I would just put the puzzle on a standard sign, so the player can read it at their own pace. That's just a quality of life change, though, and not at all necessary.

Other than that, I'd enjoy seeing different types of puzzles. Maybe something that utilizes the weighted pressure plates, more shooting puzzles, some parkour, perhaps.

All in all, great job! I look forward to seeing the other dungeons in your series ^.^

Did you just want my opinion on your aesthetics, or did you also want my opinions on the map as a whole? Too bad, you're getting both >: )

On the whole, I like the way it looks. The entrance is very nice, especially those pillars. I also like the goddess' figure on the background wall.

I think you could benefit from some slopes. It might help to smooth the edges on the goddess. I also think it might look nice to have a smooth roof, but "stair like" bricks at your feet.
I'd also suggest using a wider variety of blocks. Sandstone slab looks wonderful, and you can make some great patterns with sandstone brick and slab combinations. Brown painted rune wallpaper fits in really well in this setting. You can also use palladium columns (but actuated) for another pillar option.

I really can't offer much more than that for appearances. It's looking pretty good, and there's only so much you can pull off with the interior of one ;D I'd also suggest taking a look at what other people have chosen to do with their pyramids. If I'm lacking for an idea, I usually use google. Here's part of the interior for a pyramid-dungeon I built for a mod, if you're curious about what block choices I'd use.

Now, for my thoughts on the adventure map itself.

Firstly, if you double jump just right, you can get on top of the pyramid.
I would move the player sensors under the chests to the side a bit. It's a good idea, the way you're using them, but players (like me) might open a chest while it's a max distance, meaning they can loot the chest without ever tripping the sensor, which might lead to confusion later.

The puzzle for the keypad is a bit vague. The last clue is extremely straight forward, but filling in the middle digits seemed a bit off to me. The puzzle gave me which digits to use, but (personally) I felt it didn't help decipher what order the second and third digits should be in. Regardless, it is doable. My main complaint with it is that it is done via the announcement box. The puzzle is rather wordy, and they don't stay on screen very long. Since you can't press [enter] to see what was previously announced, you are forced to spam the button until you've thought everything through. Personally, I would just put the puzzle on a standard sign, so the player can read it at their own pace. That's just a quality of life change, though, and not at all necessary.

Other than that, I'd enjoy seeing different types of puzzles. Maybe something that utilizes the weighted pressure plates, more shooting puzzles, some parkour, perhaps.

All in all, great job! I look forward to seeing the other dungeons in your series ^.^

Haha, thanks so much! You gave more than I asked ^.^ I'll definitely try out some combinations with those bricks and walls, see what new designs I can come up with. And I'll take the blockiness of the temple and the goddess down a notch. I honestly thought I made it impossible to get up the side... I'll have to fix that. And I didn't realize that you could just not trigger the player sensor. Great you mentioned it. It also seems like a lot of people struggle with the keypad. I might just make a 3x1 keypad with a three digit code :/ If you still have time when I'm done another dungeon, I'll come back and bug ya :p

Good evening Terrarians!
I just wanted to let you all know that I am closing requests for the time being. I've decided to start working on my first adventure map, and since my day life gives me very little time to build in Terraria as-is, it is probably best if I just focus on one thing at a time. Thanks for the requests I got while it was open! Hope you all enjoy the builds ^.^

Could you make a thick pine tree forest in the snow with a hunter's cabin / lumberjack's cabin in it?
Here you go, @Grfff3
A hunter's cabin in a snowy pine forest ^.^
I'll be adding a night screenshot, and a download link (world contains this build, and the request from @ninjakai03 ) to this thread's original post shortly.
Hope you enjoy!

Winter Retreat.jpg

I admire your building style a lot! I'm wondering if you'd like to work together on a project, very slim chances, since I came out of no where, but, our styles are similar, I can send you pictures and you could decide whether or not I'm worthy, but my details are dull since there aren't many options available for me in console, but we can do PC.

*Le Snip*
Welcome to TCF, and thank you! ^.^

It's not a matter of being "worthy," >.< but, I've got too much on my plate right now to pick up additional projects. In addition to the mod I've been building for, I just started an adventure map. That being said, when the map is done, and I re-open my build requests, if you want to do a build together, that would work for me ^.^ PC is my only option, though, as I don't have a console copy ;P

Happy building ^.^

where can i find the download link for the winter retreat khaios? i want to create one but i need to identify all blocks used, thanks.
If you go to the original post of this thread, near the bottom, you will see a spoiler titled "Downloads." Winter Retreat is located on the world named "May 2016 Requests."

Happy building ^.^

Also, what blocks did you use for the palm beach house?
The house itself is primarily dyansty wood, hay, hay wall, rich mahogany, rich mahogany wall, pearlwood wall, and marble platforms (everything painted brown). The supports for the house and the dock are living wood and living wood wall. The palm trees are living mahogany wand (painted brown), and a mixture of leaf wand, mahogany leaf wand, and living leaf wall (all painted lime). The coconuts are sunplate blocks painted brown and actuated. The rope bridges are palmwood fence, vine rope, living wood platforms, and living wood (hammered to half).

I think that's pretty much it. Sorry if I missed something (it's all off the top of my head ^.^)

I love your attention on small details! I could not use sprites (furniture, decorations) the same way you do to make the rooms look pleasing to the eyes. Are you still open to requests? I have sent you a request so i don't clutter up your post space XD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom