Game Mechanics Ladybug Luck should be clearer

Piterros990

Duke Fishron
"Touch the ladybug to receive ladybug luck". Gonna be honest, I laughed out loud when I first read this. And while I don't mind the mechanic behind adding or reducing luck, the way it's shown - or rather how it's completely hidden - annoys me. I never know if I "touched" the ladybug properly, and I never know whether I still have the buff on me or not. I think Ladybug Luck should be shown as a buff, like every other.

They changed luck so it no longer gives negative effects only positive effects, that should clear all complaints about luck so we can just call it a RNG that can only benefit us, people were so cranky about this feature lol...

They changed luck so it no longer gives negative effects only positive effects, that should clear all complaints about luck so we can just call it a RNG that can only benefit us, people were so cranky about this feature lol...
It was only changed for torches. Killing ladybugs can still reduce your luck.

The entire luck system should be explained more clearly. I still don't know what it is about except I noticed you can make potions that seemingly have no effect. But I'm still in pre-hardmode. Apparently you may learn more about it once in hardmode. I am avoiding the wiki and other sources of information right now. I want the game itself to explain how it works, not have to use any other sources.

Torches affecting luck? Not explained anywhere that I have seen. I only learned about it through a bug report that I accidentally read. I tried it out in my Brain of Cthulu arena by replacing all the torches with crimson ones. previously I had tried 10 times to get the trophy but failed. After I replaced the torches it took 37 tries to get the trophy, so luck doesn't seem very effective.

I heard Red was going to add a 4 leaf clover that you can see when you open your inventory up and it will visually show how much luck you have. Maybe it will be decayed when you have bad luck and golden when your luck is the highest.

The entire luck system should be explained more clearly. I still don't know what it is about except I noticed you can make potions that seemingly have no effect. But I'm still in pre-hardmode. Apparently you may learn more about it once in hardmode. I am avoiding the wiki and other sources of information right now. I want the game itself to explain how it works, not have to use any other sources.

Torches affecting luck? Not explained anywhere that I have seen. I only learned about it through a bug report that I accidentally read. I tried it out in my Brain of Cthulu arena by replacing all the torches with crimson ones. previously I had tried 10 times to get the trophy but failed. After I replaced the torches it took 37 tries to get the trophy, so luck doesn't seem very effective.
The thing is, it's explained nowhere how luck works. Yes, there is a way to learn a little bit about luck, but it's not anything clear, and I don't think anyone besides people who play this game for the first time will even find that piece of information. I would really recommend actually reading about how luck works, because besides that one quite unclear piece of info that is provided in-game (which still explains absolutely nothing, because most likely you will think it's just random meaningless text), you will not learn anything about it by yourself. Just in case, here's a short explanation of how luck works (but I better recommend heading to the wiki):
In general, it can be increased through using right torches in corresponding biomes (like hallowed torches in hallow), standing near placed gnomes, using the luck potion, touching a ladybug or having a lantern night active (I think it's a rare night event, not sure if it's regular). However, you get reduced luck if you kill a ladybug.
Luck affects anything that relies on rng, ranging in anything from drops to even appearently crits. For example, Luck Potion gives you +0.3 luck, which means chances are multiplied by 1.3 (so if you've had 10% crit chance, you now have 13%). Killing a ladybug though reduces your luck by 0.4.
The general complaints before the patch were that torches affected luck negatively if you didn't use the correct ones, which was extraordinarily painful in the snow biome, and nowhere in the game is it stated that there exists such a thing like torch luck.

Also, I relate to this bad luck: while you tried so many times to get a trophy with 10% drop chance, today I've spent 3 hours straight trying to get Rod of Discord. I literally grabbed all the things wiki states that give you positive luck, and I dropped the first Rod of Discord (1/400 base drop chance) after 850+ Chaos Elemental kills. I have no clue if it's the luck system that is screwed up or am I just THAT unlucky.

I heard Red was going to add a 4 leaf clover that you can see when you open your inventory up and it will visually show how much luck you have. Maybe it will be decayed when you have bad luck and golden when your luck is the highest.
I hope it shows numeral values too. Otherwise, you will still be questioning whether you've got the maximum luck or not.

Everything about the luck system is a baffling string of design choices. At the very least it needs to be clearly indicated, not hidden for players to blunder into on accident.
True, feels like an odd addition when you look at all the other RNG that is already in the game.
But let's be honest here, is anything really clearly explained in all of Terraria? The community kinda just figures stuff out together and that's why you literally CAN NOT play Terraria blind/without the wiki if you want to fully complete the game to Moon Lord.
Okay, exaggeration, but it would certainly be immensely time consuming and the average player would most likely lose interest before trying every option blindly until they run out of ideas.

Been hearing rumblings that ladybird luck wasn't removed yet through the beastiary description, despite the actual description of karma (which was cryptic at best) being removed the same time as torch luck in the apparent flattening of unfair effects.

Keeping in mind, even uncontrollable ladybird luck for touching them can greviously backfire when you're trying to remain purposefully unlucky and under the radar of bosses & invasion events before you're properly equipped. Take all your gnomes down and store away your luck potions after you've gained 200 health or recently broken a shadow orb, or you'll be boxed in by the goblin army before you're prepped and picked off by EOC least weekly in the game cycle depending on the level of gnome contact you maintain, maybe using it for fishing or a tree-farm (i recommend both)

Would it hurt to have you glimmer a bit in recognition of your new ladybird luck?

You wouldn't notice normally because luck potions wear off unless you're purposely spending resources to chug them, but being around garden gnomes all the time makes the chances of meeting conditonal enemies more regular. Also like star-strikes all night long, such prolonged period of luck on a character is entirely untested.

Hey, on the topic of Ladybugs I haven't seen one yet. I read on windy days but can't find em. I've caught fairies, owls, dragonflies, the usuals, even tons of lava creatures but still not one ladybug.

Been hearing rumblings that ladybird luck wasn't removed yet through the beastiary description, despite the actual description of karma (which was cryptic at best) being removed the same time as torch luck in the apparent flattening of unfair effects.

Keeping in mind, even uncontrollable ladybird luck for touching them can greviously backfire when you're trying to remain purposefully unlucky and under the radar of bosses & invasion events before you're properly equipped. Take all your gnomes down and store away your luck potions after you've gained 200 health or recently broken a shadow orb, or you'll be boxed in by the goblin army before you're prepped and picked off by EOC least weekly in the game cycle depending on the level of gnome contact you maintain, maybe using it for fishing or a tree-farm (i recommend both)

Would it hurt to have you glimmer a bit in recognition of your new ladybird luck?

You wouldn't notice normally because luck potions wear off unless you're purposely spending resources to chug them, but being around garden gnomes all the time makes the chances of meeting conditonal enemies more regular. Also like star-strikes all night long, such prolonged period of luck on a character is entirely untested.
Okay, I didn't know that bestiary explains the ladybugs. I mean, let's be honest - who even reads beastiary? There are like 500 entries, and especially if you're a veteran, you surely will not pay attention to such little details.

That also explains why after fishing with ladybugs (accidentally, because I forgot to swap the positions of baits in inv a few times) waiting for a single good fish takes so much time. It really needs a clear explanation in-game. Especially that ladybugs are a very easy to get bait and many people are probably already using them in fishing, unknowingly reducing their chances of getting something good.

Hey, on the topic of Ladybugs I haven't seen one yet. I read on windy days but can't find em. I've caught fairies, owls, dragonflies, the usuals, even tons of lava creatures but still not one ladybug.
They spawn in huge amounts on windy days when you're in a town. At least, that's how I've got my hands on like 70 xD

Yes I agree, the luck system needs to be explained more clearly in the game. Not knowing what luck does and there is a potions that increases it? how should we know when the right time is to use it? One could believe that luck increases the chance of not having a blood moon, or getting something good from crates/chests.

Back
Top Bottom