Blocks & Decoration Large Mechanic Suggestion for Post 1.3.1.

Dandeloreon

Terrarian
I was going over the 1.3.1 update and noticed a few things that could be added that will help produce some more feature rich adventure maps. Some of these are probably game mechanic changes, but all of these are blocks, decorations and items.
  • Locked Chests
    These chests are completely inaccessible until a signal is sent to unlock the chest function. As a quick note if the signal is lost while the player has the chest open, the inventory window for the chest will automatically close. As for icon/picture I believe it should look similar to the locked BIOME chests when in locked state and a normal chest when in the unlocked state.
  • Locked Trapped Chests
    This chest will act as a trapped chest when it does not have any signal to it, and the chests contents will be inaccessible until the chest receives a signal. If the unlock signal is lost while A player is in this chest the chest should close immediately and a signal will be sent out of the chest. As far as appearances go the chest will appear very similar to a normal chest at all times. As far as wiring up this chest is concerned A signal received on the left side will unlock the chest and the chest will send signals out on the right side. This means the chest should be easily noticed when using The "Mechanical Lens", "The Grand Design", a "Wire Cutter", or any Wrench. The differentiation will be that the Up arrow and Down arrow for the chest will appear when wires are visible, however when these are not visible there is no easy way to distinguish the chest.
  • Boss Defeated Sensors
    These Sensors simply return True if specified bosses have been defeated on the map. For example "King Slime Sensor" will return true if the king slime has been defeated on the specified map. As far as crafting requirements I believe some wire, iron and the boss trophy should do the trick for these bosses.
  • Hardmone Sensor
    A Sensor that simply returns true if the world is currently in hard-mode.
  • Event Sensor(s)
    Various sensors that returns true when certain events are active. A few examples are listed below.
    • Blood Moon Sensor - A sensor that sends a signal during a blood moon.
    • Solar Eclipse Sensor - A Sensor that sends a signal when a Solar eclipse is active.
    • Frost Legion Sensor - For the Frost legion event.
    • Frost Moon Sensor
    • Pirate Invasion Sensor - A sensor that sends a signal while pirates are invading the map.
  • Inventory Empty sensor
    A sensor that sends a signal when all players within 10 blocks have no items in their inventory.
  • Piggy Bank Empty Sensor
    A sensor that sends a signal when all players within 10 blocks of the sensor have no items in their piggy bank.
  • Safe Empty Sensor
    A sensor that sends a signal when all players within 10 blocks have no items in their safe.
  • Pickaxe / Axe / Hammer Sensors
    This sends a signal if any player within 10 blocks has a pickaxe, axe, or hammer in their inventory, Safe, or piggy bank.
    NOTE: This can be separated into 3 sensors.
  • Spreading Biome Sensors
    A sensor that activates when the specified biome is within 10 blocks. I believe these can be crafted with a requirement of a few the respective powder, a purification powder, some iron, some wood, and a few bottles of water.
  • Boss Active Sensor
    A sensor that returns true if a Boss monster is active within 300 blocks
  • Increased Statues Variations
    These Statues are all craft-able, and use recipes similar to the normal statue crafting requirement. The only difference is that if a statue has a wire function it takes the base statue recipe plus 50 wire to create.
    NOTE: A couple of example statue variations are listed below, and more can easily be added. At any rate it would be good to note that all of these have the same recipe as the normal stone statues but the change to remove stone and replace it with the relevant crafting material.
    • Wood Statues
    • Iron Statues - Looks like the stone variant, but is reflective.
    • Gold Statues - Gold in color.
    • Mushroom Statues - Odd looking mushrooms anyone?
    • Ebonstone Statues - These have a purple hue.
    • Crimstone Statues - A red hue
    • Pearlstone Statues - A white hue.
    • Dungeon Statues - These statues have a gothic feel to them.
  • Random Monster Spawn Statue
    This Statue spawns random monsters for the biome the statue is placed within.
  • Dungeon Monster Spawn Statue
    This statue spawns a random dungeon monster(s) that matches the dungeon background behind the statue.
  • Boss Statues
    I know this is mentioned in another Thread, and it's still a good idea.

NOTE: Many of these ideas will require a lot of artwork, but in general many of these ideas simply require a small changes to existing sprites to implement.

EDITS:
  • 5/25/2016 - Added more sensors.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I see the need for electronically locked chests since you can just actuate walls that block off chests, but I do still agree with the point. Might I suggest instead craftable keys made of the same material as the chest they unlock plus some rare item like maybe a soul of night or something. You can craft gold chests, why not gold keys that can be used to turn them into locked chests when clicked with the key and then unlocked again as normal with a key in the inventory. Just slap the lock texture on all the craftable chests, make a few matching key items, and it's done and ready for maps. 90% of the mechanics are already coded. The same thing for locked doors.

More sensors do seem like a good idea. Perhaps a sensor with an inventory so you can tell it to detect players possessing said items with options for "match any, match all, blacklist" and "exact number, any".

Back
Top Bottom