Weapons & Equip Lava charm is way to rare, which makes getting lava waders and its upgrades straight up impossible

Grimalinde

Terrarian
Edit since 1.4.1 update:

Thank you Re-Logic for making the Lava Charm twice as common, this definitely makes the Lava Charm not a big pain to get anymore : D.

————————————————-

Dear Re-logic

The lava charm was already rare enough in 1.3, but now that since 1.4 it only generates at lava layer, it is just straight-up impossible to obtain.

I have explored almost the entire lava layer of my LARGE world and haven't obtained one. This didn't only take my days to even weeks, but I nu fun while doing so. This just shouldn't be the case because now those final boots upgrade is impossible for me to obtain unless I generate more worlds and waste even more days.

This straight-up isn't a fun game design and in my opinion, the most important part about playing games is having fun. So I would really deeply request you to change this.

I know you can dish this in the lava now, but it is so incredibly rare because both the bait, the crates itself, and the drop rates are so low that you can't just say it might as well don't exist. Plus fishing for hours to days isn't fun either.

So again from the bottom of my heart, re-logic please change something about this flaw in the game.

1590882777570.png

Last edited:
Lava fishing is the opposite of rare. The critters and accessories that let you do it practically fall out of the sky, obsidian crates are an extremely common catch, and the charm itself has a decent chance of coming from one. Considering the item isn't even an important part of progression I think it's perfectly fair as is.

Well, I have not fished yet in a lava lake, but knowing biome crates, it would be extremely rare. Not as rare as a gold grate, more like iron, but for a 2.5% drop, it is still too rare to reasonably obtain.

As the item wasn't important for the game in 1.3 but since the newest boot accessory, it is different.

It took me about an hour to get a lava charm from fishing. At least try before complaining about the rarity.

How do Terraspark boots make the item more important? They're just Frostspark Boots with the functionality of the lava charm added in, nevermind that Amphibian Boots are a generally more practical option than Terraspark boots in the first place.

Hmmmmm, the drop rare said 2.5% so I thought it would be extremely rare. Also, I really like every endgame accessory to be obtainable, since they are endgame accessories after all.

I am going to try to fish for it myself one day though since indeed you are right about that one, I haven't tried to fish for it myself and only posted this by my knowledge from other biome crates, and its 2.5% drop.

That being said, I actually got one, but look how much it took.
1590884871995.png

1590884886051.png

Hmmmmm, the drop rare said 2.5% so I thought it would be extremely rare. Also, I really like every endgame accessory to be obtainable, since they are endgame accessories after all.

I am going to try to fish for it myself one day though since indeed you are right about that one, I haven't tried to fish for it myself and only posted this by my knowledge from other biome crates, and its 2.5% drop.

That being said, I actually got one, but look how much it took.
*snip*
I've used a tool to look at 5 large worlds generated in 1.4, and it seems that on average there was about 1.3 lava charms generated across all 5. All of them were in the cavern layer, but usually above the lava zone. That's about 1-2 per world, usually one. You got really lucky find that one in all your searching. Good job.

I would have to agree with Lord Garak. Initially I was annoyed like you as that is one of the most useful items. You really need to try fishing.

Start off with the lava bait, it's everywhere in hell. Prolly more common than normal bait. Getting the Lava accesory is very easy I started to sell them I got so many. Then, you can fish in any lava with whatever bait. I've got about 8 lava charms right now where previously before 1.4 I felt lucky to get 2.

I somehow managed to get one with my first-ever lava fishing catch, but yeah, they're definitely excessively rare from chests.

I've used a tool to look at 5 large worlds generated in 1.4, and it seems that on average there was about 1.3 lava charms generated across all 5. All of them were in the cavern layer, but usually above the lava zone. That's about 1-2 per world, usually one. You got really lucky find that one in all your searching. Good job.
Yaaaay thanks!

Reactions: Bry
Ok so I tried fishing for obsidian crates and I must be honest, these are much easier to catch than I thought. I got 8 in around 8 minutes, so 1 per minute.

This means that the lava charm isn't as bad to get as I thought, which means that only the world generation for lava charms in chests are a problem, instead of getting the lava charm itself.

You don't have to be in Hardmode.

I got the Terraspark boots in Pre-Hardmode. What you may be missing is the lava bait. Those bugs in hell can be caught with a lava bug catcher. Just take a regular bug catcher and 10 hellstone bars and its made. The bugs allow you to fish in lava with any fishing pole. Not just the lava one.

Finding it on a chest is a massive pain due to how rare it is there, but it's not that hard to fish it up, as others are saying here.

You can easily replace Lava Charm with an Obsidian Skin Potion anyways. It's even easier to get and does its job better, and Terraspark Boots are just another alternative skin of Lightning at the end of the day.

I'm okay with it being super rare, but this is too much. If it WAS a 2.5% rate, I would've gotten by now.

Also, yes I know I can fish for it. However, if I did fish for it I would have to go into hardmode first, and I planned on getting the lava charm in pre-hardmode.
Now that my search has failed, that might change.
First off that is a classic example of the gamblers fallacy the expectation that somehow odds have predetermined success or memory of past events unfortunately each generation is independent of all previous generations so there is no requirement that one actually exists in a world.

And you can definitely fish up a lava charm from obsidian crates in prehardmode a new mechanic of 1.4 is that there are hell critters which can be caught with either a lava proof bug net or a golden bug net and enable any fishing rod to be used in lava. The downside is that the strongest hell bait magma snails only have a bait power of 35 but as long as you have a decent rod this should be sufficient.

First off that is a classic example of the gamblers fallacy the expectation that somehow odds have predetermined success or memory of past events unfortunately each generation is independent of all previous generations so there is no requirement that one actually exists in a world.

And you can definitely fish up a lava charm from obsidian crates in prehardmode a new mechanic of 1.4 is that there are hell critters which can be caught with either a lava proof bug net or a golden bug net and enable any fishing rod to be used in lava. The downside is that the strongest hell bait magma snails only have a bait power of 35 but as long as you have a decent rod this should be sufficient.

Yeah, good point.
Also, I didn't know I could fish with any fishing rod as long had I had lava bait. Hmm, I thought that I needed both the bait and the equipment. Well, this is still excellent news as I do have a sufficient rod (Golden Fishing Rod).

Thanks for pointing this out to me. There's no use for my post anymore, so I'll just delete it.

Back
Top Bottom