tModLoader LavaRain - It makes lava rain from the sky.

Dual Iron

Plantera
Mod icon - Thanks @ Moonburn IT

The title explains the gist.
The mod is designed for playthroughs on new players and is best experienced with friends.
While the mod is enabled:
- Don't get attached to a world. It will be decimated.
- The same goes for pre-existing worlds.
- Panic and hilarity will ensue.

When you generate a new world, there's a timer counting down to the end of the world.
Your world becomes a ticking time bomb!

The specific details are below if you have any questions.

~~~Content~~~

The mod has four apocalyptic hazards that keep you on your toes! Putting these on max isn't suggested, because your world will become pulp in a matter of hours.
  • Lava rain. The title of the mod! Droplets of lava rain from the sky. They spawn above the highest non-air block at a random position.
  • Lava meteors. Yes, the heavens themselves will hunt you! These meteors are extremely destructive and drop lava when they impact. A direct hit is a surefire death.
  • Rising lava. From below, the heat will rise. Lava slowly duplicates. You'll need a lot of water buckets for this one...
  • Melting blocks. The roof above you could cave in. Lava slowly melts and destroys touching blocks. Chests drop their items when submerged too long.
Alongside these hazards, there are four new items and tiles. They each look cool provide important functionality!
  • Igneous Rock. Comes from melted stone and lava meteor impacts. Falls like sand.
  • Molten Soup. Comes from melted non-stone tiles. Falls like sand.
  • Fire Bricks. Crafted from igneous rock, clay, and water buckets. Melts 20x slower than other tiles.
  • Blast Bricks. Crafted from molten soup, clay, and water buckets. Takes 20x less damage from lava meteor impacts than other tiles.
Of course, the game should stay enjoyable & playable:
  • Start Delay. Keeps the apocalypse at bay for up to a day. Set this value in the mod config before generating a world.
  • Spawn Buffer. Protects you from lava after respawning for up to a minute.
  • Water rain. Meteors and lava rain stop falling from the sky during the rain, permitting you to explore what remains of the surface.
Alongside the gameplay aspects, there are a few atmospheric visuals that persist when on the surface. They do not affect gameplay. (They only activate after the Start Delay timer runs out.)
  • Ash effects. Ash particles float around and stick to blocks.
  • Rain effects. Fiery droplets fall from the sky.
  • Sky fog. The sky turns dark and gloomy. Very apocalyptic!
  • Heat distortion. It's the desert effect, but everywhere. (This is a vanilla effect, so this can be disabled via Settings > Video > Heat Distortion: Disabled.)
  • An ominous timer. It displays how long you have 'til the apocalypse starts.
    • When it reaches zero, it will begin counting up, recording your time survived in the world.

~~~Notes~~~

Please note that all of the above are configurable and the suggested config values are enabled by default. If you don't like something, simply change it to your liking. No-fuss!

The mod is multiplayer-compatible. When hazards are set to high levels, there might be lag—there's nothing I can do about that. Try to play with lower settings if you're having trouble with lag. If you find bugs, let me know!

Note that vanilla gameplay will be completely different with this mod enabled. It's entirely possible to get locked out of your world if the spawn point is rendered inhospitable
To playtest the mod, I did the professional thing and just played it with some good friends. Here's what I learned. (Read the entire thing before starting, preferably.)

My suggestion is to set the Start Delay timer to around 10 minutes, generate a medium or large world, gather surface materials, then run for your life.
Make sure to gather lots of:
  • Wood. your only other supply will be underground houses and the jungle
  • Clay. it's very useful for Fire Bricks and Lava Bricks
  • Gel. underground slimes are stronger than surface slimes
  • Herb bags. you'll need them for obsidian skin potions
  • Chests & their loot. they contain useful materials, and accessories are vital to traverse the underground
When the start delay inevitably reaches zero, you're going to want to DIG DOWN. Plug the hole you dig down entirely. Now, you need to gather cobwebs and iron. Really! This was what we did first-thing when the lava & meteors started falling. You'll need them to craft a bed—which is your only hope of not getting stuck on the surface in an infinite death loop. It's not a dream, and it's not the work of GER.

After you have a bed, the only major stressor is the surface lava coming down to get you. Meteors will pick away the surface, letting lava fall inward. Prepare accordingly.
To prevent lava from destroying everything you love:
  • Always have a backup plan.
  • Always have a big moat that can stop any rogue lava.
  • Always prepare to have your base wiped out in an instant.
While you settle down and gather ores, there are a few progression hindrances that you might have

I can't get to my world evil's altar/orb/heart!
Either block off what you need early on or prepare to gather obsidian skin potions.
I can't find the clothier in the dungeon! Is he dying?
Yeppers. Use Blast Brick to build a little box for him to spawn in. Then, build your Skeletron arena out of platforms—preferably obsidian platforms. Also, keep in mind that Skeletron isn't required.
How am I supposed to kill the Wall of Flesh? Hell is submerged in magma!
Try using minecart rails + obsidian skin potions + flipper potions. (You can place rails in lava, and they don't melt!)
What if the jungle temple altar is melted?
Well, grab it before the lava does! You can let lava melt away the temple door, then traverse to the altar and gather it up. Beware—lihzahrds will spawn even in pre-hardmode!

With all that said, sometimes worlds will be a dead-end. Remember that everything is at the lava's mercy. It'll all be destroyed eventually. Try not to get too attached to your worlds with LavaRain enabled.

Comment about your playthroughs, I'd love to hear about them! Have fun!

~~~Future~~~

If you're a streamer or YouTuber and would like to feature the mod, I'll gladly hand you a more complete beta copy! Preferably also mention my name as the creator thanks

All developmental batches are complete as of Feb 11, 2020.

@Dual Iron (me) - Programmed the mod
@Moonburn IT - Made the icon & a few misc sprites
@THEREDSTONEBRO - Made the sprites for Igneous Rock and Molten Soup

If and when you find bugs, PM me.

The mod is released on the tModLoader Mod Browser.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
People would play for the same reasons they'd play mods like the Randomizer

To have fun and not give 2 :red:s over how many times your gonna die!

PS: If you want to have EXTRA fun, enable the Lunatic mod, just so you gotta hurry even faster to give Moonlord your own mooning before the planet implodes.

For some reason I got curious of this and gave it a try. XD

My obsevations on it so far...
It looks like solid blocks actually stop lava. as long as every cave where the lava can go to the underground is plugged with whatever blocks it looks pretty safe underground. (I'm making an assumption that other aspects aren't implemented yet or something? like that solid blocks would melt... because they don't do that.)

The only other serious hazard is lava multiplying, but, it can be stopped with solid blocks around them. and it only multiplies in the area where the player is, or so it seems.

All in all, until now the lava apocalypse isn't as horrible as expected XD
The surface got absolutely obliterated, but underground is pretty safe.

Of course certain commodities are in short supply underground... I tried to gather lots of wood at the start, but that supply ran out very fast. - also, yes, crafting a bed as soon as possible is a must!!! - I tried using materials I could found, like glowing mushroom (for some furnitures) and iron (for doors). when the merchant moved in, that alleviated the problem with crafting torches. and eventually the architect (alchemist NPCs lite) moved in too, so at that point, the problem with wood got somewhat solved too.
but even before that, I tried exploring the area around the base and a bit farther, and luckily the area is very rich in ores and gems. and once the base was alright, I tried exploring deeper, and I found lots of thorium ore, so character has full thorium armor now. along with a shield. and used a platinum broadsword up until EoC. now have a Blood butcherer and a Crimson scythe. and some other lucky finds like a chain knife and that red hourglass yo-yo.

Besides wood though, some other stuff are rare too. gel is rare, but not impossible to find. however... mana stars are nonexistent in this underground realm (I found one mana star in a loot bag so far (out of about 20-25 loot bags I found so far), so mana is rather limited... heart crystals aren't that rare though, I could max out HP for pre-hardmode even before facing EoC.

Now the next challange would be BoC... there are crimson hearts that can be reached. so it's possible. but the main chamber of the chasm is pretty much completely filled with lava. quite the odd sight...

Anyway, conclusion so far,
since it doesn't looks like that solid blocks would get destroyed, it appears more like that so called "drow challange"? well, I didn't tried that before, so it's interesting. rather forced to stay underground... XD (well, not according to a depth meter (which I didn't gotten yet so far) XD since there are a few areas that are above underground level and are accessible, but the surface itself is pretty much nonexistent. there's nothing just layers of lava and obsidian and water.
But so, my underground base is safe and fine, and repairing underground cabins can be also very useful for more town NPCs without the need of much material.

And interesting challange anyway. If you ask me, it's pretty fun this way, like, the surface got destroyed, but it's safe in the underground so it's quite possible to survive and even prosper.
Though I'm assuming the plan of the mod is to turn it into something much less "friendly" (if we can call lava rain entirelly obliterating the surface as "friendly"...? XD lol but underground (as long as every possible area where lava could flow in is plugged) is safe in this version of the mod.

For some reason I got curious of this and gave it a try. XD

It looks like solid blocks actually stop lava. as long as every cave where the lava can go to the underground is plugged with whatever blocks it looks pretty safe underground. (I'm making an assumption that other aspects aren't implemented yet or something? like that solid blocks would melt... because they don't do that.)

The only other serious hazard is lava multiplying, but, it can be stopped with solid blocks around them. and it only multiplies in the area where the player is, or so it seems.

All in all, until now the lava apocalypse isn't as horrible as expected XD
The surface got absolutely obliterated, but underground is pretty safe.

Of course certain commodities are in short supply underground... I tried to gather lots of wood at the start, but that supply ran out very fast. - also, yes, crafting a bed as soon as possible is a must!!! - I tried using materials I could found, like glowing mushroom (for some furnitures) and iron (for doors). when the merchant moved in, that alleviated the problem with crafting torches. and eventually the architect (alchemist NPCs lite) moved in too, so at that point, the problem with wood got somewhat solved too.
but even before that, I tried exploring the area around the base and a bit farther, and luckily the area is very rich in ores and gems. and once the base was alright, I tried exploring deeper, and I found lots of thorium ore, so character has full thorium armor now. along with a shield. and used a platinum broadsword up until EoC. now have a Blood butcherer and a Crimson scythe. and some other lucky finds like a chain knife and that red hourglass yo-yo.

Besides wood though, some other stuff are rare too. gel is rare, but not impossible to find. however... mana stars are nonexistent in this underground realm (I found one mana star in a loot bag so far (out of about 20-25 loot bags I found so far), so mana is rather limited... heart crystals aren't that rare though, I could max out HP for pre-hardmode even before facing EoC.

Now the next challange would be BoC... there are crimson hearts that can be reached. so it's possible. but the main chamber of the chasm is pretty much completely filled with lava. quite the odd sight...

Anyway, conclusion so far,
since it doesn't looks like that solid blocks would get destroyed, it appears more like that so called "drow challange"? well, I didn't tried that before, so it's interesting. rather forced to stay underground... XD (well, not according to a depth meter (which I didn't gotten yet so far) XD since there are a few areas that are above underground level and are accessible, but the surface itself is pretty much nonexistent. there's nothing just layers of lava and obsidian and water.
But so, my underground base is safe and fine, and repairing underground cabins can be also very useful for more town NPCs without the need of much material.

And interesting challange anyway. If you ask me, it's pretty fun this way, like, the surface got destroyed, but it's safe in the underground so it's quite possible to survive and even prosper.
Though I'm assuming the plan of the mod is to turn it into something much less "friendly" (if we can call lava rain entirelly obliterating the surface as "friendly"...? XD lol but underground (as long as every possible area where lava could flow in is plugged) is safe in this version of the mod.
I'm not sure if corrosion is implemented in this batch yet, but once you sink some hours into the playthrough, it begins to get hectic. For example, our deep cavern base is now part of the surface. About 75% of the underground desert is gone. We've reached hardmode, but we can't find any altars; they might have been destroyed somehow pre-hardmode because one altar randomly broke itself once we reached hardmode and we got the status message. Blocks should be able to keep you safe, but once the entire underground around you is gone, you have little options other than moving deeper into the earth. Also, the underworld is a nightmare in general.

This is because that batch was not released yet. That batch releases on Feb 10. Read the "Future" section closely.

Tomorrow (Feb 10 before 11 PM EST), melting blocks will be released. In two days, all features will be released. If you play through the mod then, you should see the feature in action.

Anyway, thanks for testing my mod!

Yeah, blocks doesn't melt in this version, but, yeah...

As long as you make sure every cave or any little hole that connects the surface to the underground is plugged with blocks it is relatively safe. other mods also - eventually - help with getting things that are quasi impossible to find there, such as alchemist selling fallen stars post EoW/BoC.

And some way or other reached the dungeon too, and defeated skeletron too. the area around the dungeon entrance was covered in water, not lava, so it was not that impossible to get rid of some of it and free the old man and defeat skeletron. however I guess I was too greedy trying to "reclaim" a large area around there. so it looks quite messy now... (though the dungeon entrance itself is safe) lava is not impossible to get rid of, but mostly only if you pour the water on top of it. because the forming obsidial will block the space so the lava won't multiply. if you try to get rid of it from below, it won't even run out, because new lava will spawn on the top of it XD

and, post-skeletron, I got Thorium's granite armor - the thing that gives you full lava immunity at the cost of reduced movement speed (but with some boots it's alright), and so looked around the surface. rain, lava rain... also a blood moon... - and found the poor clerk (expedition mod) XD

on one hand, it's very interesting how such things such a blood moons barely affect the underground (yes, there are more monsters, but just the usual stuff, not the blood moon's specific zombies), some events can be quite annoying, and with a base underground, one ends up being pretty much safe from them.

but... looking at what have became of the surface... it's quite heartbreaking, and the happy vanilla surface music just makes it feeling even more heartbreaking... XD the surface day musics that usually tell about a new day, a lovely morning after the not necessarily so lovely night - something that one usually hears around their house/base quite often... and then it kinda makes me think... how lovely the surface of this world could have been...? but there's barely anything there than many layers of lava, obsidian and water.

I assumed that it would absolutely destroy a world, but with no melting blocks, it only destroyed the surface. but while drow challange can be fun too, I guess, this actually made me think about a bunch of things about a world's surface. we usually take it for granted there are green forests, and stuff, but...
Maybe the surface means more than I would hat thought before... most treasures and adventures might happen under a Terrarian world's surface, but most places the adventurers call "home" are usually on the surface.

Somehow that turned into a bit too phylosophical...? XD lol but, I think it's interesting. maybe I stop this challange and just build some lovely surface builds next or something XD

I will be real with you. I do not look into modding usually. I come from a background of game modification from the mid-2000s where everyone just bloated stats on things or added damaging spikes to every room for difficulty and it makes it incredibly difficult for me to want to look into mods, despite knowing they're more than likely extremely good. I've never had interest in post-Moon Lord content, after all. I'm totally content with vanilla Terraria.

But when I saw on the forum index "LavaRain - It makes lava rain from the sky." at 2AM, I just had to know. I had to see what this was.

The name is straightforward. The advertising description, elegant. Succinct. This mod does exactly what it sounds like it may do.

And from your list of features, it sounds even better than I had hoped. This may very well be what gets me to try out modded Terraria, and that's incredibly high praise considering I am deathly afraid of lava in video games. Like, I had to have help clearing the second course in Pokemon Snap as I was afraid of driving off the rails into the lava and dying. I couldn't beat Kirby 64 because I was afraid of the Dedede segment in the Neo Star volcano. My fear is irrational, but powerful, and despite it...

Once you're done releasing batches, I'm going in. I am going to lose, and that's okay - but I'm going in.

@Fury made a video featuring the mod—thanks! It means a lot to me.

Aaaaaand final developmental batch released. Those juicy visuals are public now.

Stay tuned as I plan to implement some hazards to keep late-game spicy. :naughty:

there should be an option to prevent naturally spawning jungle temple bricks and some other things like the door and altar that spawns golem from melting (natural jungle bricks and player-placed jungle bricks are counted as different blocks in the games code)

there should be an option to prevent naturally spawning jungle temple bricks and some other things like the door and altar that spawns golem from melting (natural jungle bricks and player-placed jungle bricks are counted as different blocks in the games code)
I thought about this originally, but figured that it could be abused so easily that it's not worth preventing.

See the "some things I didn't do in my playthrough and you probably should" spoiler for info on how to overcome challenges like this.

Hint: Get to the altar before the lava does.

Good luck, though, and thanks for the suggestion. I might reconsider it.

I mean admittedly, this mod isn't exactly about being fair. It's about being funny. The world is being steadily consumed by lava falling from the sky and there's constant 500+ damage projectiles eating away at the surface.

Not all stories have to have a happy ending. It'd almost feel like a cop-out if something like this could.

Back
Top Bottom