tModLoader LavaRain - It makes lava rain from the sky.

You couldn't move the Lizhard altar before defeating Golem at least once though, or can you? which you can't do pre plantera even if you break into the temple. and you can't fight plantera before all 3 mech bosses are down. which you can't really do before WoF is down... right? so grabbing the altar could be only possible in a fast speedrun, right?

By the way, thinking more on the earlier version I tried that turned into more of a drow challange, I think that got more a "post-apocalytic" setting, than "apocalytic", like, sure, lava destroyed the entire surface, and is mostly occupying it, but otherwise as long as you prevent it from coming down the caverns, it's mostly safe there. so the "apocalypse survivor" adventurer and others there are safe and thus can wonder about things like the true value of the lost surface, or how they miss sunlight and stuff. heroes in the later version where lava would eat up everything wouldn't really have time to think about such phylosophical stuff, since they would be mostly busy running for their life XD

by the way, does it destroy obsidian too? since that naturally forms where lava contacts water...

I made an account specifically to comment this, but as for the debate on which blocks it should or should not destroy, what about making that an option in the configs? Either by having the player enter the specific ID of blocks they want to be immune, which could make for some interesting modifications, like the only immune blocks being Luminite, or just a specific pair of toggles on whether Lhizard and Dungeon blocks are immune.

I got another idea: A way to craft your own later, lets say: Temple Key+Fire Blocks=Temple Alter. (You could do something rather sneaky and make it craftable only after the alter was been consumed)
Here's another idea: When lava gets to the alter and eats it, just quickspawn an alter in all/a random player's inventory :p
And then if quickswap fails, enable craftable one

Just throwing that out there, thou making sure you have jungle left for Plantera would still be a concern.

While we're at this topic, I'm pretty sure at this point, it would be impossible for the cultists to spawn as there would be more dungeon, might want to consider that too.

Another simple, fun, and destructive play option: have Falling Stars generate block-breaking explosions when they land. Maybe bomb-scale. I've seen other mods that allow you to adjust the rate at which they fall; you could change that, too.

Another simple, fun, and destructive play option: have Falling Stars generate block-breaking explosions when they land. Maybe bomb-scale. I've seen other mods that allow you to adjust the rate at which they fall; you could change that, too.
As cool as that idea sounds, the mod is called "Lava Rain" so having destructive fallen stars would likely detract from the original mod's intents and purposes. The meteors kinda already do that anyhow, but on a more destructive and deadly scale. Plus, they're lava-related because hot rocks and whatnot

Just an idea, but I believe Thorium adds the "Aquatic Depths" to the western ocean. Depth's Rock makes infinite water at all times, but if mined it drops Marine Rock. Not to worry; 2 Aquaite Bars and 50 Marine Rock makes 250 Depth's Rock. You could probably make a box out of (background walls included) Depth's Rock, then surround it with lots of Fire Bricks. Put a pump into the box (or the Aquatic Depths if you don't feel like putting a box in the base) and make a large moat consisting of Lava Bricks and Blast Bricks. Put a couple pumps in there and boom, when lava does actually get through it will have to break through obsidian, heavily slowing it down for as long as you have all pumps active and protected and the water in the box is still existing. It'll likely still break into the base, but that would take a while, and by that time you would likely have seen it, broke the obsidian and plugged the hole.

Made an account just to write this, also all of this can be done post-Skeletron. You don't even need to kill Skeletron for the Mechanic; some mods let you buy wire beforehand, and you can also just line the moat with Depth's Rock for a similar, albeit different effect. Certain mods (luiafk, Thaumaturgy, etc.) allow for infinite potions, and one of those is (almost always) Obsidian Skin Potion. Another thing to be aware of; if you are insane enough to play this on Revengence : Death (Calamity), lava still will harm you from the debuff Lethal Lava Burn, even with Obsidian Skin Potions, draining 18 life/second. Obsidian Skin Potions still are useful against it, dropping the life drain down to 13 life/second, but there is a more effective item. The Obsidian Rose drops the debuff down to 3 life/second. They don't stack, but you still should use the Obsidian Skin Potions for protection against lava itself. Lava Charms, or anything that grants the Lava Immunity Meter (like the Lava Charm, Lava Waders, etc. do) grants immunity temporarily to both the lava and the Lethal Lava Burn, just not for very long.

Check out the Calamity and the Thorium wikis for info on those. Even larger challenge; do every mod that adds on to Fargo's Soul Mod's recipe for the Soul of Eternity, or anything that adds on to it's components (Dragon Ball Terraria, Calamity, Thorium, Sacred Tools/Shadow of Abaddon, you get the point) and try getting that Soul of Eternity. Masochist is gonna be a pain, but not compared to the Terminus from calamity to get the Rock needed for the Soul of Eternity, or even just to have done it. All five debuffs you can activate in Calamity's config for more difficulty during the Terminus Boss Rush? Nope, I think I'm fine without.

The title explains the gist.
The mod is designed for playthroughs on new players and is best experienced with friends.
While the mod is enabled:
- Don't get attached to a world. It will be decimated.
- The same goes for pre-existing worlds.
- Panic and hilarity will ensue.

When you generate a new world, there's a timer counting down to the end of the world.
Your world becomes a ticking time bomb!

The specific details are below if you have any questions.

~~~Content~~~

The mod has four apocalyptic hazards that keep you on your toes! Putting these on max isn't suggested, because your world will become pulp in a matter of hours.
  • Lava rain. The title of the mod! Droplets of lava rain from the sky. They spawn above the highest non-air block at a random position.
  • Lava meteors. Yes, the heavens themselves will hunt you! These meteors are extremely destructive and drop lava when they impact. A direct hit is a surefire death.
  • Rising lava. From below, the heat will rise. Lava slowly duplicates. You'll need a lot of water buckets for this one...
  • Melting blocks. The roof above you could cave in. Lava slowly melts and destroys touching blocks. Chests drop their items when submerged too long.
Alongside these hazards, there are four new items and tiles. They each look cool provide important functionality!
  • Igneous Rock. Comes from melted stone and lava meteor impacts. Falls like sand.
  • Molten Soup. Comes from melted non-stone tiles. Falls like sand.
  • Fire Bricks. Crafted from igneous rock, clay, and water buckets. Melts 20x slower than other tiles.
  • Blast Bricks. Crafted from molten soup, clay, and water buckets. Takes 20x less damage from lava meteor impacts than other tiles.
Of course, the game should stay enjoyable & playable:
  • Start Delay. Keeps the apocalypse at bay for up to a day. Set this value in the mod config before generating a world.
  • Spawn Buffer. Protects you from lava after respawning for up to a minute.
  • Water rain. Meteors and lava rain stop falling from the sky during the rain, permitting you to explore what remains of the surface.
Alongside the gameplay aspects, there are a few atmospheric visuals that persist when on the surface. They do not affect gameplay. (They only activate after the Start Delay timer runs out.)
  • Ash effects. Ash particles float around and stick to blocks.
  • Rain effects. Fiery droplets fall from the sky.
  • Sky fog. The sky turns dark and gloomy. Very apocalyptic!
  • Heat distortion. It's the desert effect, but everywhere. (This is a vanilla effect, so this can be disabled via Settings > Video > Heat Distortion: Disabled.)
  • An ominous timer. It displays how long you have 'til the apocalypse starts.
    • When it reaches zero, it will begin counting up, recording your time survived in the world.

~~~Notes~~~

Please note that all of the above are configurable and the suggested config values are enabled by default. If you don't like something, simply change it to your liking. No-fuss!

The mod is multiplayer-compatible. When hazards are set to high levels, there might be lag—there's nothing I can do about that. Try to play with lower settings if you're having trouble with lag. If you find bugs, let me know!

Note that vanilla gameplay will be completely different with this mod enabled. It's entirely possible to get locked out of your world if the spawn point is rendered inhospitable
To playtest the mod, I did the professional thing and just played it with some good friends. Here's what I learned. (Read the entire thing before starting, preferably.)

My suggestion is to set the Start Delay timer to around 10 minutes, generate a medium or large world, gather surface materials, then run for your life.
Make sure to gather lots of:
  • Wood. your only other supply will be underground houses and the jungle
  • Clay. it's very useful for Fire Bricks and Lava Bricks
  • Gel. underground slimes are stronger than surface slimes
  • Herb bags. you'll need them for obsidian skin potions
  • Chests & their loot. they contain useful materials, and accessories are vital to traverse the underground
When the start delay inevitably reaches zero, you're going to want to DIG DOWN. Plug the hole you dig down entirely. Now, you need to gather cobwebs and iron. Really! This was what we did first-thing when the lava & meteors started falling. You'll need them to craft a bed—which is your only hope of not getting stuck on the surface in an infinite death loop. It's not a dream, and it's not the work of GER.

After you have a bed, the only major stressor is the surface lava coming down to get you. Meteors will pick away the surface, letting lava fall inward. Prepare accordingly.
To prevent lava from destroying everything you love:
  • Always have a backup plan.
  • Always have a big moat that can stop any rogue lava.
  • Always prepare to have your base wiped out in an instant.
While you settle down and gather ores, there are a few progression hindrances that you might have

Either block off what you need early on or prepare to gather obsidian skin potions.

Yeppers. Use Blast Brick to build a little box for him to spawn in. Then, build your Skeletron arena out of platforms—preferably obsidian platforms. Also, keep in mind that Skeletron isn't required.

Try using minecart rails + obsidian skin potions + flipper potions. (You can place rails in lava, and they don't melt!)

Well, grab it before the lava does! You can let lava melt away the temple door, then traverse to the altar and gather it up. Beware—lihzahrds will spawn even in pre-hardmode!

With all that said, sometimes worlds will be a dead-end. Remember that everything is at the lava's mercy. It'll all be destroyed eventually. Try not to get too attached to your worlds with LavaRain enabled.

Comment about your playthroughs, I'd love to hear about them! Have fun!

~~~Future~~~

If you're a streamer or YouTuber and would like to feature the mod, I'll gladly hand you a more complete beta copy! Preferably also mention my name as the creator thanks

All developmental batches are complete as of Feb 11, 2020.

@Dual Iron (me) - Programmed the mod
@Moonburn IT - Made the icon & a few misc sprites
@THEREDSTONEBRO - Made the sprites for Igneous Rock and Molten Soup

If and when you find bugs, PM me.

The mod is released on the tModLoader Mod Browser.

Thanks for reading!
any plans to ever update the mod to a newer version? Also it seems to be completely broken right now

Back
Top Bottom