Let's talk about "Expert" Mode...

Status
Not open for further replies.
'An all DPS mage'?

Is that even a thing early game? Most wouldn't have the goblin for reforging, you don't have plenty of accessories and defence usually doesn't differ much.

I do note that a lot of people seem to get Meteor armour and space gun before their first boss, but that's pretty over-geared. Meteor gives quite a bit of defence too.

Yeah, Gypsy robe + Wizard hat. No leggings (you could always add one of the ore leggins for a little more defense but it makes hardly any difference)
Lousy defense but the damage is worth it.

I'm loving the expert mode update, feeling like it's how Terraria should have been from the beginning, and I loved playing regular mode too ! I really feel like you don't even need the extra accessory slot or new accessories in normal mode anyway although I can understand the desire as they are really cool items.

Expert mode is okay as it is. Most of the things that are "difficult" should be easy to brush over by the time you play it. And the "rewards" you get are basically there to help you get through Expert Mode bosses, although most of those rewards are relatively useless (Royal Gel, I'm looking at you.) Anyone wanting them given without going through the requirements to get them is just suffering from the too-usual Sour Grapes syndrome.

There, nothing rude said. You could learn a thing or two from this "elitist," thread creator. For instance, I didn't need to call you names to nullify your point.

Just do what I did and just go to expert mode with more "advanced" gear and kill Plantera with an Influx Waver.

I didn't need to call you names to nullify your point.
You certainly wouldn't have needed to if you were doing it correctly. All you needed to do was read.

It seems an awful lot like you simply skimmed everything and picked up little tidbits here and there, thus coming to the following conclusions.

A. I think Expert Mode is way too hard.
B. It needs to be toned down to my tastes.
C. I want to get the cool new items.

Now, these are things that I certainly griped about... TO MYSELF, in a dark room while furiously slaving away through Expert Mode with a friend. However, the only point I'm trying to get across here is

D. Telling people they have no right to complain about Expert Mode is dead wrong. If you're going to tell someone to "git gud", avoid being an idiot who just spammed and at least offer advice on how one should "git gud".

If you'd actually read most of the conversation you would have also noticed that I

E. Have already beaten Expert Mode and gotten all the items, thus any advice pertaining to how I should handle it is now moot.
Yes, i am also talking about expert mode eoc, what makes you think i aint?

I suppose ill refight him then to double check... but im 100% certain that thats what i've seen.

To claify, with chargin directly at you i dont mean homing like chlorophyte bullets do, but rather like normal bullets do - in a straight line, continuing for a bit into that direction even if he misses.
I've noticed that the "homing" on EoC's charge attack can be a little erratic. Sometimes I would jump past him to the right and he would continue zig-zagging to the left. Other times he would correct himself after I got past him.

Then again I WAS fighting him with a friend so it might've been an aggro thing...

Last edited:
How to get good? Train. That's all there is to it.

I can't magically make you dodge better. That's what being an "elitist MLG pro" is actually about, really. The skill to be able to dodge those 'impossible' attacks by observing, learning and dodging.

I died more often than in normal mode, but the only really huge difficulty spike I feel expert mode has (as far as pre hardmode goes) is right when you start out and feel the double damage/hp at full blast. After that in my experience, it's more difficult yes, but not cripplingly hard as some make it out to be. You just have to progress more thoroughly than before. In normal mode you can take the EoW in lead/iron armor, in expert mode, lead is about when I feel ok wandering out at night and I wait until I have gold/platinum tier armor to tackle corruption/crimson.

As for normal mode bosses, they are much harder and I really only felt as if BoC was a bit over buffed. But it can be solved without all that "skill" and "dodging" nonsense. Rows of wood platforms and SPIKEY BALLS EVERYWHERE!

Is it such a bad thing to have extra incentives to help push people to play better? Think of new strategies? Min/max the crap out of their character?

I don't think so. I think it's great for the community. Look how many threads have been started here with people asking for advice from the community. Videos being made for expert content, which further enriches the community.

There should be an INSANE mode where if you get hit by anything you instantly die.... kidding ;)

How to get good? Train. That's all there is to it.

I can't magically make you dodge better. That's what being an "elitist MLG pro" is actually about, really. The skill to be able to dodge those 'impossible' attacks by observing, learning and dodging.
Nobody (especially not me) is asking you for advice. I'm merely advising you to try actually doing it.

You don't care about being polite. Y'know what? That's fine. Let me hitcha with somefin' else.

"lol git gud. try harder"

This is the kind of comment that demonstrates no actual interest in the topic being discussed, and offers nothing constructive to the conversation.

You might notice that string of words I just put together sounds awfully familiar.

That's because it's the textbook definition of spam.

... in case you missed the memo, forum mods typically don't LIKE spam. So...

... y'know...

... try not to do it.

Thanks for the lesson, professor. You're the one calling others idiots, elitists and other nice things. Rudeness scores higher than spam, and frankly, if you don't want to improve, you deserve every bit of grief you get from Expert Mode. It's not a mode for lazy people, hence it's not a mode for you. I already gave you advice, but for the lazy, it's easier to keep on insulting than improving. Have a nice life.

Thanks for the lesson, professor. You're the one calling others idiots, elitists and other nice things.
I never called anyone specifically an elitist. I was making a reference to "a kind of person that exists and is unsavory".

I also never called anyone an idiot. I advised people to not BE one. Take it as you like, though.

Rudeness scores higher than spam
It does, but some people don't care.

and frankly, if you don't want to improve, you deserve every bit of grief you get from Expert Mode. It's not a mode for lazy people, hence it's not a mode for you. I already gave you advice, but for the lazy, it's easier to keep on insulting than improving.
And YOU just called me Lazy.

... after I already stated several times in this thread that I grit my teeth with utter determination and braved my way through Expert Mode like a boss.

Also you utterly suck at giving advice. "git gud, try hard" isn't advice. That's a command. lol

Have a nice life.
I will. You too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom