Serious Let's talk about internet culture - Multiple things to discuss about.

What is the most urgent topic to talk about? What's the biggest problem?

• Total voters

Simple🌳

Official Terrarian
(I put it in the general Off Topic thread with the serious tag because I am not sure if it should be a mature topic or not. There's a high chance that you'll see this message in the mature discussions thread. Also, I fear that this thread may be controversial in some ways, and it's better to stay safe than sorry.)

Let's talk about internet culture. A phenomena that is making me lose faith in humanity.
Let's talk Toxicity - an Internet Plague
Toxicity, it's a serious problem. Now, in case you don't know, toxicity is the quality of being harmful or unpleasant in a pervasive or insidious way, and it's spreading like wildfire. It's like Covid-19, it's slow and rare at first, but increasingly spreads everywhere, accelerating more and more each day. A lot of younger audiences are roaming around the internet nowadays, and they can easily be influenced by this behavior. There is a term called "Bully-victim", which is a bully that was a victim of bullying. Pure bullies are bad apples that appear every once in a while and can be dealt with by education and/or intimidation, but they can start a "Bully-victim" chain or even a "Bully-victim" web. Toxicity is like that. Once struck by toxicity, a person can become toxic as well, causing others to become toxic, leading to a deadly chain. Toxicity consists of cyberbullying, personal attacks, manipulation, and hurtful remarks. There is so much more, but expect to see most toxic qualities to consist in these types. You cannot truly define if somebody is toxic or not unless you know his or her intention is to hurt people. But I still stand my ground, it needs to be stopped.

As a young kid, I used to shrug it off when I see somebody making a hurtful remarks, mainly because at that time social media wasn't such a tyrant, and toxicity was a rare phenomenon back then. But as I grew older, I increasingly noticed these qualities, and eventually it led to me posting this thread. As said earlier, Toxicity is a plague that spreads in an accelerating way. This is why I noticed more trashbags today than before.

Let's talk Cancel Culture - an overly sensitive group of people, easily comparable to a bubble
Like Toxicity, this is also a serious problem. Cancel Culture originated in Hollywood. It was originally meant to cancel celebrities that have done something very wrong or illegal to keep the community pure, however, Cancel Culture has grown out of control. Expect the majority of people partaking Cancel Culture to be overly sensitive, to prove my point, they cancelled Jacksepticeye over using a different font in a twitter post. They cancelled dream over a fake face reveal. They cancelled baby yoda over genocide just because baby yoda wanted to eat unfertilized frog eggs. Plus, he is a FICTIONAL CHARACTER in a movie.

People that are part of cancel culture, we'll call them cancelfolks (or canceljerks if you want) tend to actively look-out for moments where a popular person may slip their words and connect them to being a racist or homophobe, heck, maybe even a pedophile (but it's not that big of a deal for this term because everybody can tell when a person is a pedo.) For example, Matpat from Game Theory got cancelled and referred to as "transphobic" or "homophobic" just because he decided to join in on a community joke that was started because of a choice in an exam he made which people can tell their gender via text, in which people jokingly identified as attack helicopters and battle toasters.

Other topics we could discuss about that fits this category:
  • Doxing. - Revealing someone's personal/private information out of spite.
  • Manipulation. - Using someone's weakness to your advantage.
  • Rumors and false accusations. - Calling out someone for doing something that they have not done, or being someone that they are not.​
  • Flame wars and pointless mass arguing. - Youtube comment sections in a nutshell.​

Last edited:
I feel this is important, so thank you for starting this thread.

Cancel Culture is the main reason why social media sites like Twitter are so toxic these days. People calling out others left and right, almost always for jokes said victims of cancelling made. Pretty much any popular Internet influencer could make a joke about a sensitive topic and immediately be attacked by hundreds of beings who share the same species as you on Twitter (as well as other sites, but mostly Twitter as far as I know).

This is actually a serious problem, and it's happened to many influencers who are otherwise completely innocent. It's genuinely abysmal to watch, and it does nothing to help (if not hurt) everyone involved. And a lot of the Internet's toxicity comes from that.

Anyway, I'll let other people share their opinions here, but I just came here to do a little rant about my least favorite part of Internet culture.

Peace.

Anyways, I wanna tell you a story happening in China (it also exists in U.S. but it didn't get any attention)

There's a game called "Blockman go" (aka 迷你世界) and it's also a 3D Sandbox similar to Minecraft. It has been called to "copy" Minecraft and everyone started talking about it.
In China there's a China exclusive version of Minecraft (and free too), everyone that lives in China can only buy this version and not the global version. Anyways, because it was free, it's mostly filled with teens. Because of this, till a point it began a flame war over both games, and both games' filled with spamming and it's really hard to find anything useful in the minecraft community.
You see, the problem was, that these spamming blame didn't help either. it actually indirectly gave "blockman go" a lot of attention, and as the game updates, the game's core started to move away from Minecraft, and in a result, I estimate that the china version's gonna f*** up regardless anyways because of the game company that owns the china version's also pouring acid on this game because... well some says it's because of money, others say it's because the company does not have much experience on such type games.
In all cases, the moral of the story was: "the best way to trying to out something is to ignore it".
F*** China version.

I might write a more serious response later, right now I’m tired.

Cancel culture is the dumbest, most fruitless thing attempted by some people. Sad part is those people think it actually works. Pewdiepie, oh poor Felix can’t catch a break. I believe the most recent attempt to cancel him was when the music Felix listens to was leaked, one of the artists of said music came out and “kindly” asked Felix to stop listening to his(her?) music. Of course, a bunch of people started to accuse Felix of being a racist and whatever nonsense they could come up with. Just...why?

So yeah, not a fan of cancel culture. People can have a change of heart, but no, mistakes aren’t allowed on the internet apparently. Soon enough they’re going to stop putting erasers on pencils.

I think toxicity, cancel culture, and doxing are probably the worst problems.

Toxicity is just, ehhh, and it can really get into people's heads. It sickens me to think that some people actually intend to do it, too. If this was gone, the Internet would be a much nicer place.

Cancel Culture is also terrible. Just, someone honestly expresses their opinion, and a couple people don't like it, so they then proceed to harass and lie about giver of said opinion. And like Simple said, who cancels a fictional character over something they wanted to eat? Why is this even necessary, at this point? 'Cause I dunno.

Doxing is just plain dangerous. I wouldn't want my address out in the web, and neither would most other people out there. It doesn't seem to be that common, however.

Toxicity...It's always been there but sadly wish it wasn't so prevalent as much these days. Toxicity is why I stay away from Twitter because oh god. I feel this is a summary of other topics listed because all of the below topics are very toxic at least to a certain degree. So goes for Cancel Culture. I get that sometimes it's hard to believe that someone will change but harassing people isn't going to help at all.

Doxing... should not be touched at all unless it's a very dangerous individual.

Manipulation has many forms but the most scummy version is in the dms. Like wtf. Most of the time public manipulation can be spotted from the outside but the base sometimes fails to recognize it (especially younger people) but dms are even worse (Especially if its a relationship)

Rumors and false accusations are scary because no one wants to be called someone they're not, it's even worse when someone believes it

Flame wars and pointless arguing is arguably the least worst thing on here but it's still bad. It can be somewhat avoided when you don't say anything much, but I've had pointless arguments myself (although they dont' make me scared or disturbed unless it's personal). I remember someone (who will remain anonymous) literally insulting everyone who hated 4kids. Youtube comments are the WORST in this aspect.

i swear twitter is just middle school except it goes too far
im a bit of a noob on knowing twitter but back in the day it was tumblr who made toxic stuf like this (no offense to the entire site even though it's very very flawed. i like the blogs but the people back then were horrible from what ive seen)

I am so glad that this issue hasn't been present in the Terrarian youtube community yet.
I'd like to address a new problem I notice with the internet... Generalization.
Now, one bad thing about generalization, is that it sometimes can branch out of control. For example: Stans...

What comes into your mind when you see/hear the word Stan? Is it...
  • a fan that stalks their favorite person?
  • a super fan?
  • a fan in general?
Truth is, a lot of people now classify stans as the bottom two rather than the top. And when people notice stan behavior, they will most likely... attack the "stan".
Now, a good example is the Mr. Beast Minecraft youtube video about Dream vs. Technoblade. Go to newest first, and there you shall see comments like "noo dream lost." and "i want kill techno". Both comments will have similar replies like "stfu dream stan". In my opinion, only the latter should be attacked, heck, not even be attacked, but consulted. Thing is, most "stans" are kids on the internet, another common thing about the Internet is that kids easily get attacked due to their hostile behavior. As most educated people should know, kids can experience strong emotions. Insulting/attacking a biased comment is not how you should respond.

Speaking of kids, people on the internet are generalized as well. Let's say a 7 year old goes online and comments on a political video. What do you think they will say?
  • "no *presidential candidate* is good"
  • "stfu u"
  • "L"
What if that 7 year old actually made a well-thought out paragraph about their political view instead? I remember somebody pointing out that they are 9 on a comment section, they wrote out a paragraph with magnificent grammar. What about this fact? No brag, but if I were to review my age, people would've been surprised because they'd expect me to be a toxic person with bad spelling. You see, generalization did that. I don't know what to say next, so I'll just leave it here.
So, let's add generalization into the mix.

I'd add irony to the poll if I made it. Ironic "culture" has paved the way for self-censorship, undermining sincerity, and killing unique content since around six years ago (when it really took off).

I've been browsing Twitter Trends out of boredom, and came to conclusion that the gaming community there is nothing but pointless mass arguing about who's opinion is right.

Even Youtube comments are acceptable depending on the video. But for Twitter, it's always the arguing and discussions that gets into trending. Tainting the other tweets I'm actually watching the topic for. It's disappointing.

I'd add irony to the poll if I made it. Ironic "culture" has paved the way for self-censorship, undermining sincerity, and killing unique content since around six years ago (when it really took off).
Hmm, I might try and look into that when I can, never heard of it before but it could be an important/serious topic.

Back
Top Bottom