Blocks & Decoration Light/Rendering Blocking Block

Skel

Official Terrarian
This is an idea I have had for a while but only now am I actually talking about.

upload_2017-6-15_11-23-22.png

Ok so let's pretend that is the "light blocking block". (Possible names include Black Hole Block, Shadow Block, and Abyss Block)

What this does is it would stop light and therefore block your line of sight which could be useful both in mapmaking or in making newer, more deadly traps on world gen. (Or hiding nice treasure chests/shrines in world gen that would be painfully obvious normally)

upload_2017-6-15_11-25-4.png

(Excuse the bad mspaint drawing i dont make sprites)

So what would happen is that if you were to draw a line from your character to this block, anything past that field of view would look like the dirt a few blocks under the character, pitch black. This would work regardless of if a block is in front of it and if you drew a box of these blocks it would make the interior completely pitch black even if it had a torch. And if you went inside of it the outside would go completely dark.

Honestly I dont know if this is possible as it requires some rendering changes but this could be amazing on an adventure map. Visually segmenting parts of a building to making it possible to put a building right next to another one but for story reasons in the map they arent next to each other (So it is easier to save space)

This is my first post and I honestly dont expect this being popular or anything but Ive kinda always wanted to have areas be visually separate. Without just making a room pitch black.

Back
Top Bottom