Official Like-bombing, like abuse and related social activities

I have a question, and perhaps it's already been answered and I missed it, but what if you give someone a few likes on their profile at once? Not very many of course, say two or three. Since you'd be giving the likes in quick succession, would it still be counted as 'like-bombing' and would a verbal warning be given?

Well, I'm both happy and sad to see this go. I'm sad because I quite enjoyed nuking Jetstream, but I'm happy in the sense that Staff seen something they thought was affecting the forums negatively and took care of it quickly. It goes to show that we have a good team running this place; a team that will take care of anything affecting the forums negatively as soon as possible.

Keep up the good work, guys. *^*)b

Kind of disappointing that this has become such an issue that it needs to be addressed in such a manner. However, I am glad that the staff are taking action if it is actually disrupting a user's enjoyment of the forums. Kudos.

So hypothetical scenario, let's say I go onto some kind of content sharing thread, like a build thread or sprite thread or what have you, wherein the OP sprinkles posts around the thread, much like myself, and I +like all of these single content posts because I genuinely like all of them, that wouldn't necessarily be considered like bombing? Or would I receive an inquiry about my activities, and then I would have to explain myself? Or something else?
(# of likes would probably not exceed 15 of them in one given thread, in the span of a day)
I have a question, and perhaps it's already been answered and I missed it, but what if you give someone a few likes on their profile at once? Not very many of course, say two or three. Since you'd be giving the likes in quick succession, would it still be counted as 'like-bombing' and would a verbal warning be given?
I'm fairly certain that neither of the these things would break the rules. When I think of "like-bombing" I think of a person targeting one other specific person and giving them hundreds of likes at a time. I doubt these situations would call for staff intervention.

Guys, we aren't going on big witch hunts for handfuls of likes...nor is here some magic number wherein it's immediately bad. Things - as always - will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

In the few "legit" examples given earlier, nothing would happen. Either it wouldn't get reported (likely), noticed (likely), or - if it were - the context would either be clear in the thread or after a quick chat about it. No big deal, no harm, no foul. :)

The stuff we are mostly dealing with here dealt in the hundreds or thousands.

While I get that some find this silly or "just pixels", it was a legitimate enough issue to blow up the report queue daily as well as inboxes. So, clearly, it bothers a swath of the community. As LikeBombing serves no discernible purpose, we have to respect those members' experiences.

All that said - a huge thanks to everyone for taking this in stride. The overall reaction has been supportive and inquisitive, with only a few tangential quips thrown in. I can't say enough about how well that reflects on each of you and the community as a whole. Thanks for your understanding, maturity, and respect for your fellow member in adjusting to this new guidance.

Cheers!

Stupid question, but what if, lets say, bob, likes a lot of my posts for quality (quality, no way!) and i like his posts for his quality, at nearly the same time, that wouldn't count as like bombing would it?

Stupid question, but what if, lets say, bob, likes a lot of my posts for quality (quality, no way!) and i like his posts for his quality, at nearly the same time, that wouldn't count as like bombing would it?
The post above yours clarifies this. If anyone reports it or it is noticed by staff (unlikely) then it'll be dealt with via PM. Questionable situations will be handled on a case-by-case basis, as Loki stated.

I wouldn't care if likes were removed altogether. It's unnecessary.

Likes received on the profile should be removed, at the very least.

Posts should be judged based on their individual merit, not an arbitrary number next to the poster's profile (that can easily be inflated through various means).
True, but removing would be extreme

We are not removing likes altogether, they have a valid purpose when used as intended - as most people do use them.

Likes can serve as a constructive purpose in discussions, letting people who's in agreement.

Your total likes received tallied on your user profile, don't serve any purpose at all. Hopefully we won't see any more abuse, but as long as it's publicly visible someone's going to want to inflate their forum ego.

I read the main post.

YES! Thank you! Hallelujah, no more whining and complaining about a lack of likes!
If this was a suggestion, I'd give my Peace Badge. Sadly, it isn't.

But still, I support this movement!

I think that any Likes/Posts in the Forum Game section should not count towards the user's Like/Post count, for obvious reasons. What do you say to this, Tunnel King?
There's a discussion about that here, believe I gave my opinion. It has little to do with this thread topic, so I'd rather we not discuss it here.

Well this is completely ridiculous. Why even have the system, at this point? If people aren't free to like what they want, then it's superfluous. I certainly won't be giving out likes any more, and I request that no one give me any, either. Apparently liking things or receiving likes is now a suspicious activity that brings you under scrutiny, and I certainly don't need that kind of stress.

Seriously, no one like my posts. Especially this one. I'm not going to like anything you post, and if you like anything I post I will be seriously upset.

Well this is completely ridiculous. Why even have the system, at this point? If people aren't free to like what they want, then it's superfluous. I certainly won't be giving out likes any more, and I request that no one give me any, either. Apparently liking things or receiving likes is now a suspicious activity that brings you under scrutiny, and I certainly don't need that kind of stress.

Seriously, no one like my posts. Especially this one. I'm not going to like anything you post, and if you like anything I post I will be seriously upset.
I was tempted to like that post, cause when someone says not to do something you instantly feel like doing it

I'm still curious, is it okay if I update my status when I reach, say 100 likes?

Back
Top Bottom