Official Like-bombing, like abuse and related social activities

Huh. I didn't know like-bombing was even a THING until literally just now reading this. Did it really get so out of hand as to require rules to regulate it?

I admit, I'm surprised also. It's never adversely affected me, or even affected me in general...!

I wholeheartedly agree with that. There were individuals who put up a picture of some cute girl to encourage people to Like them.

That being said, I will Like the OP because I agree with it.

Been lurking these forums (and TO) a while. I read all seven pages of replies to give my response

I'm glad this is being dealt with. The entire situation is a balance between keeping the forums lively and healthy through good discussions and "incentives" for making quality posts such as likes while suppressing the floodgates for abuse of said incentives, but there was little restriction to what could and could not be done until now.
There are still some questions I need to ask. Maybe i'm overestimating the like counter volatility of this forum's community, but often times in TO there were large explosions of likes to a single person when said person made a high quality thread about a popular topic. I'm talking 50+ likes in a couple of hours to the OP, and a fiesta of likes spread across posters in the thread. What will be done, since the high density of people visiting the topic makes the like-fest inevitable?

With me, likes are rare. It takes an amazing thread that informed me lots about a subject to give a like if I didn't already forget likes existed. Some people have different thresholds and will like most reads that didn't waste their time.

Been lurking these forums (and TO) a while. I read all seven pages of replies to give my response

I'm glad this is being dealt with. The entire situation is a balance between keeping the forums lively and healthy through good discussions and "incentives" for making quality posts such as likes while suppressing the floodgates for abuse of said incentives, but there was little restriction to what could and could not be done until now.
There are still some questions I need to ask. Maybe i'm overestimating the like counter volatility of this forum's community, but often times in TO there were large explosions of likes to a single person when said person made a high quality thread about a popular topic. I'm talking 50+ likes in a couple of hours to the OP, and a fiesta of likes spread across posters in the thread. What will be done, since the high density of people visiting the topic makes the like-fest inevitable?

With me, likes are rare. It takes an amazing thread that informed me lots about a subject to give a like if I didn't already forget likes existed. Some people have different thresholds and will like most reads that didn't waste their time.
If it gets reported the staff will look into it and investigate. If necessary we'll PM the member about it and get down to the issue. If there isn't evidence of the person specifically requesting likes we'll likely leave them alone.

This seems like a really, really stupid thing to threaten to suspend privileges over.

It's a virtual thing, I would say currency but it's so worthless as to not be called that.
If someone wants to spam likes on people, it should be up to them, so what if they get 100 posts for 10,000 likes, ultimately it's entirely useless in any conceivable way.

Huh. I didn't know like-bombing was even a THING until literally just now reading this. Did it really get so out of hand as to require rules to regulate it?
I am the same, though I don't even know what it entirely is... I assume that it is a group of people liking each others posts to quickly rank up or get to that leaderboard that I didn't ever know existed.

It's not so much the like spamming that we didn't want, it's the fact that organizations were forming based around it that would attack each other or specific members to defend "leaderboard" spots.

The only real negative effects of like spamming is that it makes the Recent Activity page relatively worthless.
People can like whatever they want to like, but things were spiraling in a downward fashion with threads like "Take Down Jetstream/Steve" and other things. This kind of behavior is simply not allowed, and to prevent not only this case, but future cases of like spamming wars, we decided to forbid the act outright.
In addition, spamming of any kind, even like spamming, is against the basic TCF rules.

... Wait, the "give me a like if you like this post/suggestion" is banned?
... [Go unlike everything I've liked]

so its bad to make a post telling people to give you likes, but heres the question, what about a post that says you want people to not give you likes?

so its bad to make a post telling people to give you likes, but heres the question, what about a post that says you want people to not give you likes?
In Telltale Games Forum,
-Asking for likes ---> Got tons of dislikes
-Asking for dislikes--> Got tons of likes
Too bad they removed the dislike button :p

I never cared about likes. (Probably because I didn't notice it)
Though like-bombing does sound like a bother, so good on that.

... Wait, the "give me a like if you like this post/suggestion" is banned?
... [Go unlike everything I've liked]
Adding that tagline to a post that actually contains content isn't necessarily banned but the tagline itself is redundant.

Back
Top Bottom