1. For issues you find with the Console 1.3 release, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
    A FAQ with notes and workarounds can be found HERE. Please check this first to see if this helps your issue.

PC Limit Terraria FPS

Discussion in 'PC Technical Support' started by Idrialite, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Idrialite

Idrialite Terrarian

I can run the game at a good FPS, but if the FPS is too high, my laptop overheats. Changing to fullscreen lowers my FPS and prevents overheating in some areas, but not in others. I'd like a way to limit Terraria's FPS at all times.

2. Khaelis

Khaelis Plantera

Terraria's FPS is capped at 60.

3. Idrialite

Idrialite Terrarian

Can I make it go any lower in any way? Like, 24 to 30?

4. Khaelis

Khaelis Plantera

Not that I know of.

Your laptop should be fine even if it gets a bit hot -- mine does too. Most laptops have a feature that will automatically shut down your computer if core components become far too hot anyways.

5. Idrialite

Idrialite Terrarian

Exactly, I either get a huge lag spike which lowers the heat (which must be built into Terraria, that hasn't happened in any other game I've played), or it shuts down. So I have to minimize the game for a minute every now and then which gets extremely annoying.

6. Khaelis

Khaelis Plantera

Then it is likely a hardware problem on your end.

7. Idrialite

Idrialite Terrarian

I'm pretty sure I know what's causing my laptop to overheat so easily, but I can't really do much to fix it right now, nor do I want to take it apart myself and risk harming it, nor can I afford to get an expert to. So I can't really do anything about that. I just have to work around it.

8. Idrialite

Idrialite Terrarian

Turns out Dxtory can limit FPS, this has fixed the overheating issue.