Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Linux Other
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse

My monitor has a resolution of 2560x1440.
In game menu I can not select values above 1920x1200.
If I use 1920x1200 at full screen I can not move my mouse cursor to the right/bottom of the game. (Its bound to the current in game resolution starting from top left)
If I first enlarge the window to a larger resolution and after this change with alt+return to full screen I get some wrong image like this:
1589787196721.png

It did work in 1.3.5.3 and it does work at Windows.

-> currently I can not play fullscreen at Linux (without changing the resolution of the whole system)

Last edited:
Same on Archlinux, 4k resolution here (3840x2160). Used to work prior to 1.4.

The menu doesn't go above 1920x1080 (provides only the most common possible resolutions).
If I force it into fullscreen it just renders to the top-left quarter of my screen and leaves the rest blank. Having to change system resolution is a real pain, especially given the way the Steam UI reacts to it ;-)

Same Ubuntu 18.04, QuadHD (2560x1440).
Menu is 1920x1080, in fullscreen all avaliable options is 1024x768 and 800x600, editing ~/.local/share/Terraria/config.json DisplayWidth and DisplayHeight does not help

The current Mac/Linux build of Terraria does not support 4k, and will show incorrectly. This is something on our agenda to fix, but as mentioned in previous news posts, is going to be delayed somewhat while we look into it.

I play on Linux as well (not in 4K, however), but I don't play using the native Linux binaries. Instead, I play using Proton, which uses DXVK, a translation layer that converts DirectX9 / DirectX 11 calls to Vulkan calls. So even though technically I'm having a bit of overhead by playing Terraria for Windows on Linux, I can guarantee it still outperforms the native binaries (well, at least on my machine).

I've written a quick guide on how to enable and use it here:

I'm not entirely sure if DXVK supports 4K, though. If you have any questions, let me know.

I can confirm, this works for me.
But, there "7. After the download finishes, you'll need to run Terraria at least once, so it can create the Wine prefix and install the necessary components." I was not able to run game, I see only some error, but installing protontricks and winetricks and running "protontricks 105600 dotnet452" worked, no more problem with resolution, and much smoother gameplay (I had constant 60 FPS before this trick, but now it's reeealy smoother)
Thank you!

I play on Linux as well (not in 4K, however), but I don't play using the native Linux binaries. Instead, I play using Proton, which uses DXVK, a translation layer that converts DirectX9 / DirectX 11 calls to Vulkan calls. So even though technically I'm having a bit of overhead by playing Terraria for Windows on Linux, I can guarantee it still outperforms the native binaries (well, at least on my machine).

I've written a quick guide on how to enable and use it here:

I'm not entirely sure if DXVK supports 4K, though. If you have any questions, let me know.

That's it then? No fix? Linux players are treated as second-class citizens, despite being paid customers like everyone else?
It's not acceptable for this to be "on the agenda". This has taken away features that previously existed, making the game unplayable for many without a workaround.
Imagine if this happened on Windows or Mac. It'd be a whole different story.

I have the same issue. Game starts up in 1920x1080 resolution, with options to set it to even lower resolutions only. If I switch to one of those, I can't go back to the higher resolution again.

That's it then? No fix? Linux players are treated as second-class citizens, despite being paid customers like everyone else?
It's not acceptable for this to be "on the agenda". This has taken away features that previously existed, making the game unplayable for many without a workaround.
Imagine if this happened on Windows or Mac. It'd be a whole different story.

I have the same issue. Game starts up in 1920x1080 resolution, with options to set it to even lower resolutions only. If I switch to one of those, I can't go back to the higher resolution again.

Just wanted to add that Mac players have this problem, too (in addition to the game running poorly in many areas of the map).

This is definitely a Mac/Linux issue, both.

We were unable to properly support Mac/Linux builds at launch due to the untimely departure of our Mac/Linux programmer. That isn't easily replaced and so the fixes for it will have to come when we are able to provide them.

It would be nice to see it acknowledged that this isn't a 4k-specific problem, it is all resolutions that are having issues.

I've had the exact same problem on my 2k monitor. I also have a standard HD monitor which doesn't have the title screen issue, but does have issues wherein the inventory/all in-game menus, NPC dialogue, sign text, etc. are all scaled incorrectly, and I can't read them at all (see screenshot). Are any of you guys having this problem? This happened on the 2k monitor as well, even after I scaled the display resolution down to HD thinking it would fix the titlescreen.

I wouldn't mind so much if it was just a case of playing windowed, but I literally can't read a single thing.
It's really upsetting as I was hugely looking forward to this update, and now I can't play it at all.
I'm running Manjaro XFCE 20.0.3.

Attachments

• Terraria visual bug text.png
    Terraria visual bug text.png
    432.1 KB · Views: 211
It would be nice to see it acknowledged that this isn't a 4k-specific problem, it is all resolutions that are having issues.

I've had the exact same problem on my 2k monitor. I also have a standard HD monitor which doesn't have the title screen issue, but does have issues wherein the inventory/all in-game menus, NPC dialogue, sign text, etc. are all scaled incorrectly, and I can't read them at all (see screenshot). Are any of you guys having this problem? This happened on the 2k monitor as well, even after I scaled the display resolution down to HD thinking it would fix the titlescreen.

I wouldn't mind so much if it was just a case of playing windowed, but I literally can't read a single thing.
It's really upsetting as I was hugely looking forward to this update, and now I can't play it at all.
I'm running Manjaro XFCE 20.0.3.

I believe you can fix the small text issue by adjusting UI scale on the settings menu.

Playing terraria 1.4 on mac. the game screen is much smaller and the sides of the screen are black. The game becomes much more harder to play as everything looks really small ingame. im assuming this is related to the issue said in this post as mac/linux full 4k support isnt out yet?

Attachments

• Näyttökuva 2020-7-9 kello 20.15.37.png
    Näyttökuva 2020-7-9 kello 20.15.37.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 163
Playing terraria 1.4 on mac. the game screen is much smaller and the sides of the screen are black. The game becomes much more harder to play as everything looks really small ingame. im assuming this is related to the issue said in this post as mac/linux full 4k support isnt out yet?
it is along the lines yes

Since I play games on my macOS install, this update has been very disappointing. Since there has not been a fix yet, I am equally as frustrated as some others here in this thread. How long do we need to wait for an update? I basically cannot play this game until this issue is fixed. Are there any workarounds?

I have the same problem using Manjaro Linux kernel 5.7.11. I have a 2560x1440 monitor. I have an Intel i7-8565U with Intel UHD Graphics 620. Really disappointing that this major bug is still prevalent.

Back
Top Bottom