Little hidden details in games

ppowersteef

Paladin
Many games can be very detailed, and some of them are quite hidden, most of them are just a tiny thing, others can be hillarious easter eggs.
Games like Undertale has mainly focused on things that gamers often will try, but Undertale is far from the only one.

To get started, I want to share some of mine:
When shooting with your arm cannon rapidly for around 10 seconds straight, the gun will overheat for a little.
upload_2016-4-11_11-7-54.png

Other things that are lesser hidden, is that you can see the reflection of Samus' face when at front of a flash.
And in Metroid Prime 3, the face will even change depending on Samus' corruption state.

another thing that I found hillarious is to bowl over the tinbots with the Morph Ball boost, their knockback is so insane compared with other weapons against them. XD

I found this one yesterday, I could keep in my laugh to know how long this has been hidden for me

You can also fool Igo with the captains mask, when you put that on, a short, hillarious cutscene will play. :p

So far the ones I can remember by now.
but I'm sure there are a lot of them around, share some of yours I you know about :)

In the Gen 6 Pokemon games, if you catch an Espurr and start petting it in Pokemon-Amie right away, you can pet its ears with no problem. However, when Espurr's affection increases, it will start to get mad when you touch its ears. Why? Well, if you check its X and Omega Ruby Pokedex entries...
The organ that emits its intense psychic power is sheltered by its ears to keep power from leaking out.
Pretty cool detail, if you ask me.

Also, I haven't tried this myself, so this is only what I've heard, but in the Gen 2 games and their remakes, when you hit Mahogany Town, Team Rocket starts broadcasting an evolution signal over the radio to force Magikarp in the Lake of Rage to evolve into Gyarados.
Now, if you fish in the lake with a Good Rod, you ordinarily have a 97% chance to fish up Magikarp and 3% to fish up Gyarados. But in the remakes, apparently if you turn on the evolution signal and start fishing, you will only find Gyarados. I never got to try it myself, but I think that's a really cool detail if it's true.

Let's see if I understand this thread correctly,

Since Metroid was brought up in the OP, I'll add that all the hidden passages in Metroid Zero Mission that are designed to allow very short speedruns as well as even completing the game with 15% or even 9% of all items is one of the most fascinating set of secrets I've seen. Especially the great Norfair shaft which allows you to defeat Ridley before Kraid just like in the original NES Metroid.

And even though I haven't personally gotten this achievement, the secret message in Sector 4 in Metroid Fusion where you have to Shinespark to the Nav Room after unlocking Security Door Lvl. 4 and before getting Diffusion Missiles.

In Ys II: Everytime you try talking to Monsters using your Roo Form, they all say something funny and each monster has their own individual name as well. I guess it isn't exactly hidden, but most of the time you don't think to talk to the monsters you're supposed to kill.

Then in the game Chantelise where you unlock fishing halfway through the game, Chante will say something funny whenever you manage to catch a fish, one of the things she'll say when you catch a Clownfish is "Looks like we found him" Referencing Finding Nemo which I found to be interesting.

In the game Defender's Quest, when you unlock New Game + from beating the game, several interesting new concepts happen. One includes unlocking hidden quests you couldn't access on your 1st playthrough, every enemy gets a name such as "Enemy_Name+" And new more deadly abilities compared to before. And all of your equipment has an upgraded version which has to be gotten though buying/finding the "+" version of it, and it also has a glow.

Can't forget about the hidden "Ratman" dens from Portal, which are always fun to discover. (The Cake is a Lie)

In Ys II: Everytime you try talking to Monsters using your Roo Form, they all say something funny and each monster has their own individual name as well. I guess it isn't exactly hidden, but most of the time you don't think to talk to the monsters you're supposed to kill.
Don't forget all the NPCs having new lines for if you talk to them with Adoroo. My personal favorite being one of the old women in the first village telling you "You want a fight? You steppin'?! Somebody's gonna get hurt, yo!"

Oh yeah, also every NPC having a special line for if you hit them with a fireball, wherein XSEED went nuts on the references and it's amazing. (BARF!)

And more from the Ys II NPCs, if you give them gifts of flowers and fruits, eventually, they might give you food in return. And yes, they have lines for if you try to give them back their gift. Like Zalem yelling that I'm a REGIFTERRRR!

Bioshock has been the only game that made me want to believe a place like that could have existed. No matter how many times I play the game, the detail of how everything looks and how everything functions and connects together is just amazing. No other game has sold me like that before In that sort of way.

If you use L-targeting in Twilight Princess HD. Link's eyes become sharper/ more serious.

It's not a thing you'll notice all the time, since L-targeting also set's the camera on his back, but it's visible inside certain houses/rooms.

Lots of things in Grand Theft Auto V. Like exhaust flames being able to light up gasoline trails or NPC's complimenting you if you drive a nice car.

And this is just the Alpha version. They implemented more in the Beta version and the final release on PC.

Last edited:
I wanted to come back at this since I had another detailed and worthful gem to show: Overwatch.
Overwatch can be extremely detailed when it comes to their animations, even in an FPS game where you can only see the hands, they've really done a well job to give each character their personality through that. Although they're barely visible, it can really add a lot to the character.

This video can explain this in depth:

I really like that in BTD5 on the space truckin map (an overview of a few planets) you can put water towers on the water sections of earth.

One of my favorite "litte" detail in games is the Sleeping Tree in Skyrim. If you played the game normal it can be that you won't even hear of it, maybe see it from the roadsite. But if you do a little research it will be clear that this could be the most dangerouse Tree in whole Skyrim wich could mind control everyone who has drank from his nectar, wich is a well known delicacy. But otherwise theres nothing big happening around this tree in the game, because it's currently "sleeping".

latest

Back
Top Bottom