PC Lizhard Temple Soul Farming

Stahn Aileron

Terrarian
If anyone recalls, Soul of Light/Night farming was seriously nerfed in 1.2. This was brought about by statue-spawned mobs not dropping souls in the proper biomes anymore (along with other exploit mitigations.) The statue-based Corrupt Bunny/Goldfish farms were rendered useless.

With 1.3, they introduced the Biome Mimics which can be "summoned" using fifteen (15) of the appropriate souls. New use/need for soul farms if you're starting a new game/char/world with no imports.

So I'm thinking, what can I do for a soul farm? Jungle/Lizhard blocks would be used for the increased spawning rate, but I wanted to make this almost as painless as the old statue farms. Farming in the real UG HM biomes isn't really ideal. Then it struck me: would biome blocks INSIDE the Lizhard temple work and make the Lizhard drop Souls? Time to test. I need 100 biome blocks to create one...

And it WORKS! It's not as fast as the old 1.1 method, but for a natural spawning farm, it WORKS! Now I have the basis for a farm that is controllable since the Temple mobs (just 2 types) are fairly easy to control and predict. (I do dislike the Flying Snakes though). Now that I have the DCU and UFO mounts, I'm thinking of turning one of my temples into a semi-auto soul farm of some sort using traps. Not sure how I really want to go about this, but it beats running around the real biomes scraping for souls.

I really wish there was a way for us to create "mob BG walls" like the Dungeon, Spider, and Temple walls. The devs have made it harder and harder to just wreck some locations in a world if you plan on using it indefinitely (rather than just a trash/strip mining world).

Anyway, just thought I'd mention this since I haven't seen it anywhere to date. The Wiki is fairly outdated, if not just conflicting or not really all-inclusive/exhaustive with info. Hopefulyy this proves useful to some of you.

Nice to know you can get souls from lizards while in the temple.

One of the most time consuming places to build an efficient (auto) farm though, digging out all those temple bricks, shaping the area. I'm currently clueless about the lay of the land regarding the new hardmode mobs in various biomes, but are there any particular advantages over surface farms (like Diceman's previous) or the ever popular ocean grinders?

Pics once someone has any up and running! :)

The advantage is that cavern-layer jungles have the best spawn rates and the highest spawn cap of anything outside moon events. Not sure if the temple itself affects those things though.

The temple/Lizhard blocks are count as Jungle Grass, so Lizhard Temple share the UG Jungles spawn rate at least. Adding a Water Candle and Battle Potion makes it fairly absurd even in single player.

But yes, modding the Temple into a farm bites because of the Lizhard blocks toughness to mining. This is why the DCU is so handy for it. Otherwise, just using the Golem's room should suffice, at least as a starter farm.

Lastly, Souls only appear un the UG HM biomes, so you want/need one underground since souls are tied to those layers/biomes for droppings. It's just like a Dungeon Ectoplasm farm (which came later).

I'm still trying to come up with a farm layout I'll be happy with in the long run. It's mainly a matter of placement now. I actually want to get it so that the surround jungle isn't close enough to allow normal HM Jungle mobs to spawn and taking up spawn slots. I'm on a 1920x1200 screen, so spacing will be easy enough to figure out (edge of the screen, essentially.) I just need to find the right center spot and then come with a lay out. For now, it just a tall pillar in an wide open battle arena. (This used to be my Lucky Coin/Slime Staff money farm. Again, the Lizhards are easy to corral and trap with plenty of health. That was a good combination for an AFK Slime Staff/Lucky Coin farm. The Dungeon works as well, but you have the spellcasters to contend with there. No AFK there, especially with the new changes to the Dungeon in 1.3.)

BTW, anyone know a good way to deal with the Flying Snakes in an auto-farm? I don't want them raking up mob slots. They fly around, so are a little harder to herd into a predictable, controlled manner. (Maybe a bunch of Spear Traps at like 25-30 block up so they can tag the Snakes but don't reach the Lizhards? Hmm... Actually, I may have to use Hoiks for this project. ^_^

Sincere suggestion: abandon the Jungle Temple.

If you want to farm money using Slime Staff ~ Lucky Coin method, the spider nest is much better when you have amplified its spawn rate to 60(maximum) and its max spawn 15. Here are the reasons:
1. Spider is half a monster, while neither the flying snakes nor the lihzahrds have this privilege.
2. In controlled condition, only one kind of spider spawns. (One kind in pre-hardmode, and another one in hardmode) while the Flying Snakes will always spawn where Lihzahrds will spawn (Actually, Flying Snakes : Lihzahrds = 1 : 2)
3. The Black Recluse has enough health to endure. In 1.2.4.1 its health is 200 which is on the edge, but in 1.3 expert mode it is 700 which is more than enough.

(By the way, there are 0.3 monsters: Fungo Fish, Anomura Fungus, Mushi Ladybug, Fungi Bulb, Giant Fungi Bulb, Hoppin' Jack. However, I only succeed in harnessing the 0.5 monster: Black Recluse. You can have a try!)

But if you want souls, it is another story. All you need to do is to amplify the spawn rate there to 60 where monsters are easy to kill, because the killing rate decides the yield. Also go to the expert mode, even though monsters there are not easy to kill, because the dropping rate for the souls there is nearly doubled.

As your original aim is the new type of Mimics, I personally think you can just farm them directly while looting the souls and vitamins and blindfolds and megaphones and rod of discordions and whatever. Namely just farm the whole underground corruption/crimson/hallow biome. (Sidenote: I say 'farm' so what I mean is that a modernized semi-AFK farm should be built for the farming) Although in this condition you should consider how to kill the new Mimics because they are REALLY hard to kill(7000 life in expert mode) and REALLY terrifying(~100 damage in expert mode) and they teleport at your spot ignoring any blocks!

==Edit 1==
The reason I don't suggest the jungle temple is that it isn't necessary. The bricks are much tougher, and it should have taken less pain to build a modernized farm (I mean to evacuate a 200*100 area in jungle temple you have limited choices, while evacuate a normal 200*100 area you can use a Shroomite Digging Claw, Snowman Cannon, or maybe a few Dynamite if you are pre-plantera, or even pre-hardmode, with a layer of Dungeon Bricks to set the boundary of the farm. If you want to be engineer, you may need to evacuate a few 200*100s)
@DicemanX His jungle temple farm can produce the Power Cell, making a jungle temple a prerequisite. But I don't know what else advantages a jungle temple has.

Last edited:
When I built various mob grinders prior to 1.3, I made them so that I could farm souls and all 5 key molds. Here's the Temple farm I created for automatic collection of souls:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...autofarm-endless-plantera-golem-grinder.3766/

Here's the video:

I used minecart tracks above the spawn surface to allow for collection of souls that dropped out of reach. The player would cycle back and forth below the spawn surface collecting drops, and after X number of cycles the player would be teleported into the upper track to collect wayward souls.

I would design this farm differently in 1.3. Eventually I'll get around to it.

discordions
serveimage

:D The way I've always dealt with ornery flying mobs is to funnel them. They have a way of forcing you to design the entire grinder around them and little else.

Last edited:
The way I've always dealt with ornery flying mobs is to funnel them.
Normally bats (I take the Flying Snakes as bats cause they inflicts 'Feral Bite') don't have a life as ridiculously high as 7000 which is the new mimic's. If they are not hoiked by the item extractor hoik, they are easily killed like other mobs the moment they spawn where they should spawn (if you have restricted the region to only a few tiles) , by Spear Traps or something else, as far as my farm appears to be.(Bats spawn on the ground, not in the air.) You might consider amplifying your grinder.
Maybe the new mimics can 'have a way of forcing you to design the entire grinder around them and little else', as they can teleport to you, which is indeed troublesome and dangerous. But bats are easy to kill as long as you have designed your grinder in order that they are nearly instantly killed when they spawn.

Well, the thing is I long farmed the biome mimics for at least one of each drop from them. I had a surplus of souls dating back to the 1.1-era. The character I'm using most of the time is a VERY old character (my first or second ever, dating back to 1.0.6.1). It's just that the fact you can "summon" the biome mimics made me consider what I could do for a soul farm once more in the current game. I haven't had much use for souls other than boss summon items. I have about one full stack of 999 each of Nights and Lights still.

Really, my thoughts on this are beyond the "necessary" part and more inline with "because we can" and "I need/want something to do" ^_~

Also, for your spider nest point: I agree, given the information you provided. However, I find the layout and size of spider nest constricting. You can open them up a bit, but not to the scale of a temple. (Unless you luck out with a large one spawning.) I like the size of the temple. I can make wide open areas and arenas there if I choose. It's more flexible for building, IMHO, if a bit tedious. (But recall I mentioned using a DCU for that, so this is really late- to post-game activities.) I'm not really sure why, but I've grown to have an attachment to the Lizhard Temple *shrug* Maybe it has to do with its relative elegant simplicity compared to any other biome in the game.

(I just sorta wish the texture for the temple blocks were more consistent. I like the textures for things like the Gray Brick: simple yet elegant. I used to love the Dungeon bricks until the re-texture in 1.1. But then again, the Temple bricks do give off the "ancient, overgrown building" vibe, so I still like it in some way. Like I said, there's just something about the Temple that draws me to it.)

And yes, I'm aware of the increased drop rates in Expert mode. However, I haven't started a true "production" Expert world yet. All my worlds for my farming activities are still pre-1.3 worlds. For the time being, I'm using them as test areas. I'm thinking of eventually moving my base/home world (circa 1.0.6.1) to a new 1.3 world, possibly Expert as well, but I'm lazy. I have a TON of materials and items I would have to move. (I have dozens of chest full of crap I want to keep just because.)

I find the layout and size of spider nest constricting

In these criteria a spider is promised: you are under a spider wall, and the spot where the mob are supposed to spawn has a distance no more than 5 tiles from an exist spider wall.
So just pour lava on all the spots that can not spawn a spider consistently. It is not a problem, since I have used the spider nest for slime staff - lucky coin farming in 1.2.4.1 when I didn't even know lava can block spawning and that hoik is awesome. (although I didn't try in 1.3, I didn't see any difference in the spider nest criteria..)
==
And about your obsession with the temple, that is a good reason. By the way, there are many constructing tiles that are simple and elegant..... Personally I like slime blocks because it is cheap, but also simple and elegant.

Last edited:
In these criteria a spider is promised: you are under a spider wall, and the spot where the mob are supposed to spawn has a distance no more than 5 tiles from an exist spider wall.
So just pour lava on all the spots that can not spawn a spider consistently. It is not a problem, since I have used the spider nest for slime staff - lucky coin farming in 1.2.4.1 when I didn't even know lava can block spawning and that hoik is awesome. (although I didn't try in 1.3, I didn't see any difference in the spider nest criteria..)
==
And about your obsession with the temple, that is a good reason. By the way, there are many constructing tiles that are simple and elegant..... Personally I like slime blocks because it is cheap, but also simple and elegant.

It's probably the webs that turn me off from the spider caves, now that I think about it (since they respawn like grasses and vines). Actually, I had a spider nest right next to a dungeon. It was right by a spot I set a farm (for the rare dungeon drops). I would get a spider-infested dungeon if I was in/near the cave area (which I had to do on occasion to clear out mob-slot stealing spiders if I wandered a bit too close to it).

I try to keep lava usage to a minimum. I don't like spreading it since it was/is a pain to clean up. The Endless Water Bucket and Super Absorbent sponge mitigate that a bit in 1.3 though. Still, it can get messy if you screw up. (One of my nephews did that when we played MP back in 1.2...)

I generally like the typical brick house look overall. Gray brick is my standard building material. Pearlstone and Snow bricks are nice as well, IMHO (well, last I recall, anyway. Been a while since I used those.) I haven't used slime brick much. I'd like something like a tempered glass brick and BG walls. I like the glass look, but I kinda dislike the inconsistent imperfections in it. (Though I guess that gives them variety. That and knowing there's a wall there...) Flawless glass BG walls would be nice, especially for stained glass. (I like the gemspark walls for their flat consistency ^_^)

I'd give spider caves a try anyway. Could work out, won't know til you try. Wiring, terraforming and building have never been faster.

Back
Top Bottom