Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Played primarily on multiplayer via Host & Play w/my bf this whole weekend on a large world on "master" mode. We updated to 1.4.04 yesterday, played all night with no issues, and then played for about 4-5 hours today. No mods were used whatsoever.

After we played for a few hours today, we decided to take a break and I hit Save & Exit like I normally do. After our break, I went to load up the game again via Host & Play and it was stuck hanging on "Starting server..." After about 5 mins of it stuck, I decided to try to load it up in singleplayer mode to find that the file is corrupted.

I navigated the local files and couldn't find any local saves of my world, until I moved it off of steam cloud. I tried to restore previous versions, but there weren't any. There also weren't any .bak files when I took the save off steam cloud.

From now on, I will refrain from using the cloud save feature and will manually back up my files after every session. 30+ cumulative hours into this world are completely gone. I'm completely distraught as we've been looking forward to playing this update. If there is any way to fix the world, or at least retrieve the items in the chests, please let me know.

Attachments

• The_Orchard_of_Vae.wld
    4.4 MB · Views: 233
  • create_world_details.PNG
    create_world_details.PNG
    359.8 KB · Views: 312
  • load_failed.PNG
    load_failed.PNG
    304.4 KB · Views: 348
I had the exact same problem just now my little brother and I invested about 7 hours into a world and we just hopped on to play some more and we couldn't access the world.

A dev have said that they know about this issue and that its common right now and that they are looking into it... lost my world aswell

Yeah, sadly this is a very common issue at the moment. You can take measures to prevent further world corruptions if you make a backup of the world after each play session.

Lost mine about an hour ago. 5 days worth down the drain. I genuinely don't even feel like playing now.

I'm very sorry for all of the world files lost here guys :(

We are looking into some improvements to the backup system so that when corrupt saves happen, the backups will be more reliable.

My world just failed, and I can't seem to find the backup. I'm disappointed, as I just began work on a giant trophy shelf. These things happen I guess.

Unless you have a backup of the world somewhere, it is unlikely. That is why we are trying to improve the backup system.

RIP meat and loafs (40+ hours normal mode with two friends ;()

I hope terraria fixes this problem so no other peaceful terraria worlds are lost.

If you are losing worlds so quickly, that indicates something is happening PC side which is causing world corruption or loss.

- Are you saving and quitting properly to leave worlds?
- Are you having power outages, or any other reason why the game would abruptly shut off before it can save properly?
- Is your game crashing?
- Are you running the game as administrator? (Steps for that below)
image (1).png

Rare file corruptions do happen from time to time with Terraria, but is not typically something that would be happening to one individual three times in a few days. That indicates something specific is causing them, which is usually a technical issue.

Back
Top Bottom