Other Local Co-Op for PC (with Controller support for the kids)

Please constructive posts only. This is a suggestion for Terraria on PC. Please don't shrug it off and post a non-suggestion like "go play on console if you want that" or "just buy another PC" I only own one PC and will not be purchasing two additional PCs to cater to this request. I have already searched for solutions for Windows 10 that will support multi-desktop setups, as I would gladly buy 3 copies of Terraria if I could wire 3 monitors with 3 keyboard/mouse setup to my single computer, however I couldn't find anything...

That being said, I have two sons (ages 5 and 8) that want to play Terraria multiplayer with me. I read that the console version of Terraria supports this, so I am wondering if there might be a chance the PC version will support it in the future. My kids and I play all the local co-op PC games we can find (Awesomenauts, BattleBlock Theater, Castle Crashers, Rocket League, Spelunky, and the Trine series games (unfortunately they're not quite old enough for games like Gauntlet or Magicka). Yes, we have a Wii-U and play multiplayer games on there, but even that is limited when it comes to 3+ players...I noticed Terraria will be release on the Wii-U next year, but again it's a different developer/game altogether IMHO. All of the console graphic capabilities are super unimpressive, and (again) I can't use a controller to save my life. I'd much rather be able to enjoy a 120fps local co-op game on my PC.

If you plan on supporting it, I really enjoy the LEGO-style coop where IF you are all on the same screen, you share the screen, but if you walk too far away from each other, it splits the screen from there on. I'd be happy to be a part of any testing/feedback if you decide to go that route. They would probably be happy using controllers too if you want to include controller support (I did notice the lack of controller PC support)..

If anybody agrees that local co-op would be worth the effort, please post your approval, and suggestions.

AND to the Dev's. Thanks for an amazing game. I have friends that have played for years and I shrugged it off as an outdated game without ever trying it, until I bought it for my nVidia Shield Tablet for my 8 yr old son (to try and sway him away from playing Minecraft!!) and he ended up liking Terraria more!! But watching him play with the touch-screen controls (and the frustrating lack of controller support on tablet.....) forced me to buy it for him on PC. We now have over 100-hours of in-game play over the last month and are itching to play more!

The funny thing is, poor Minecraft over there is sitting in the corner with LAN and pain-in-the-:red: global multiplayer, but then Terraria has superior global multiplayer and over-steam, but no vanilla co-op functionality.

Honestly there's no easy way to do this. My best advice is get some mirroring software that will split your computer into separate systems (if it's possible), and buy separate copies over separate accounts, then set up a steam-based multiplayer game between them.

Honestly there's no easy way to do this. My best advice is get some mirroring software that will split your computer into separate systems (if it's possible), and buy separate copies over separate accounts, then set up a steam-based multiplayer game between them.
Yeah that is exactly what my plan is. I'll be all over the first multi-desktop software that gets released for Windows 10! I'd rather not share a screen anyways ;D

This is absolutely unacceptable that this is literally the reason people buy it on console. The PC had the game long before the console, yet it doesn't have this functionality? What are these guys doing?

That is a terrible over site.

This is absolutely unacceptable that this is literally the reason people buy it on console.
Yeah, that is one of the reasons that you would buy the console version. What's your point?
If you wanted to do offline co-op on a single PC, you'd probably have to have a pretty powerful computer and multiple monitors, which I'd guess that not very many people have.
That is a terrible over site.
it's "oversight"

I would like to chime in. I've played Terraria for years on the PS. My children and I love playing it together. I ended up getting on the PC because I wanted to see/play with the new content. Those of you with the PC version are very lucky. Once the Devs finish an update they can push it out. Have any of you on the PC version have a clue how hard and time consuming it is for the devs to release an update to the PS? Do you have a clue how far behind the console versions are compared to the PC version? I for one, would absolutely love to have local co-op on the PC version! Mainly so 1) I get to play the game with all the recent updates/additions. 2) So my kids and I can play with all the new content together, as soon as the new content comes out. For those of you who do not want split-screen, if they add it, it will not affect you because you don't need to let anyone play on your PC. The biggest reason for all of us wanting local co-op on the PC version is so we can enjoy all the new content while playing with others in the same room. Stop using your default argument of buy a console. How about you revert your PC version back several versions until the new console version comes out! And only update it to match what the console players get. Let's see how happy you would be with not having access to the new content!
That being said, I am grateful the devs do what they can to keep updating the console version and sorry they have so many hoops to jump through to get it released!
I really hope the devs would consider adding a local co-op. Even if you did a 'new' release like Don't Starve Together. I am sure there are several of us out there that would buy a new Terraria PC version that had local co-op. I have no qualms about having 4 versions of Terraria. The PS4, mobile, PC are the 3 I currently have.

I hope those of you on the PC side now understand even more, why we want a PC local co-op. We want to play the new content as soon as it comes out, and be able to play it with family and friends. Since the PC version now has controller support, it wouldn't be much more of a stretch. If anything, add local co-op to your plans for the PC version of Otherworld!

PCs are much better suited as an entertainment center for the living room than a console could be. They have much more powerful Multimedia capabilities, much improved connectivity, much more extensibility, more freedom on programs to install, more possibilities to interface with IoT devices...

PCs support the most inputs and outputs, it can be hooked to any sort of screen, including TVs and in the form of laptops/netbooks it can be carried around easily to set up a local coop match, like a Nintendo Switch. There's no practical limit in how many gamepads you can hook, it has no crappy monthly subscription fee to play online, etc.

It's just disappointing that many game developers do not realize this and disregard (sometimes even intentionally strip out) local coop features, leaving them only for consoles. I do not want a console... but I do want to be able to play with my family in the couch. I already am able to do this with many games... but sadly not Terraria, so basically this means I can't really play Terraria as much as I'd like. And honestly, I'd rather not play a game if I have to spend time hacking together some unsatisfying half-backed solution.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom