Mobile Local Multiplayer between iPad on iOS 14 and iPad OS 15 beta - should it work?

Rmagruder

Terrarian
Hi, I am using the iPad OS 15 public beta on my iPad Air 2020 and my son is using an iPad 2018 running iPad OS 14. I purchased Terraria and am trying to play multiplayer. We’re on the same WiFi network, and both created journey characters and I created and hosted a world, but when he taps to look for local hosts, he never sees my game. Is that a known issue or is that possibly something related to iPad OS 15.

(To dovetail on this, we also own Terraria on Stadia and in spite of looking all over the place here, I’m not seeing anything indicating whether iPadOS players can multiplayer with Stadia players (or PC Players)). Thanks in advance!

Hi, I am using the iPad OS 15 public beta on my iPad Air 2020 and my son is using an iPad 2018 running iPad OS 14. I purchased Terraria and am trying to play multiplayer. We’re on the same WiFi network, and both created journey characters and I created and hosted a world, but when he taps to look for local hosts, he never sees my game. Is that a known issue or is that possibly something related to iPad OS 15.

(To dovetail on this, we also own Terraria on Stadia and in spite of looking all over the place here, I’m not seeing anything indicating whether iPadOS players can multiplayer with Stadia players (or PC Players)). Thanks in advance!
Hi there @Rmagruder welcome to the forums. :) Glad you were able to get the iPad multiplayer issue solved.

As for crossplay between mobile and Stadia (or PC). I believe mobile and Stadia are on the same Terraria versions so I think it is theoretically possible, though I’m not sure that it’s supported.

For mobile and PC - they are on different Terraria versions right now. The PC player would need to downgrade the game to the version that mobile is on, which could be difficult as there’s no supported way to do it.

So while things may be possible, crossplay isn‘t officially supported at this time which is likely why you’re not finding a lot of info on it. If you get it to work great, but if it doesn’t, or if there are unintended side effects, those issues aren’t going to be looked into at the moment.

Two more pieces of info - it has been said that after all platforms get to parity (when mobile and console reach the same version as PC) the developers will try to officially feature crossplay and cross save compatibility. It may not be able to be done, but they will do all they can to explore it.

Mobile and PC players are able to play together on the Penguin Games server. It may not be what you’re looking for (you and your son playing together in your own world), but I thought I’d mention it. It is not hosted by the developers, so any issues while playing should be directed to the Penguin Games server staff.

Oh, one more thing that may be useful if you do try to do online multiplayer - the mobile multiplayer guide is here. It has a lot of good info that may help, keeping in mind that at this point only mobile to mobile crossplay is officially supported, but you could try to see if others worked for you. I suggest making backups of your world and player files first. :)

Back
Top Bottom