Game Mechanics Lock Expert, Mediumcore, and Hardcore mode behind achievements

How should achievements be handled in multiplayer?

• Achievements should be disabled in multiplayer mode.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Achievements should be disabled in multiplayer mode for all except for the host.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Achievements should be rewarded to all players on the server when the conditions are met.

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

Baconfry

Terrarian
Sometimes, new players start by creating Expert mode worlds, thinking that they would be "missing out" by playing on normal mode. This inevitably leads to frustration as they die over and over, and can burn them out quickly before they can even get started. Based on my observations while playing with randoms on the Discord server, this happens disturbingly often.

I see no reason why a new player who just downloaded Terraria should be able to play in Expert mode before they've had a chance to learn how the game works. I see no reason why they should be able to start as a Mediumcore/Hardcore character, either, as those modes are extremely unfriendly to new players. Locking more difficult game modes behind achievements is standard practice for many video games, and I don't see why Terraria should be different.

In my opinion:

1571850476847.png

Mediumcore character creation should be locked behind "Eye on You". (Defeat the Eye of Cthulhu for the first time)

1571850531419.png

Expert mode and Hardcore character creation should be locked behind "It's Hard!" (Activate Hardmode)

1571850610558.png

Master mode should be locked behind "Champion of Terraria". (Defeat the Moon Lord for the first time)

Obviously, existing players who restrict themselves to those modes have nothing to complain about, since they should already have those achievements unlocked. This suggestion simply ensures that new players won't waste their first few hours dying over and over and receiving a bad first impression of the game. You could say that it's their own fault for choosing Expert mode, but in the end, the result is the same: someone downloaded Terraria, had an unenjoyable first experience, and might not be inclined to play the game again. Blame whomever you want, but in the end, no one is satisfied. Why offer that option to begin with?

We could also prevent people from accidentally bypassing these measures by joining someone else's endgame world by disabling achievements in multiplayer, but this is optional.

Let me know if you think this would be a good idea for Terraria in the long run, or if there's something I might have overlooked.

Last edited:
The suggestion as whole sounds a bit doubtful as one with experience has to forcefully go through the game before going Expert/Master mode. But then it got me thinking why you would not play Terraria on your own account.

I think Mediumcore should be unlocked at the same time as hardcore, because mediumcore as whole is a bad experience for new and experienced players alike.

Last edited:
I think Mediumcore should be unlocked at the same time as hardcore, because mediumcore as whole is a bad experience for new and experience players alike.
If I could go back in time and remove mediumcore from the game, I would. Sadly, we're stuck with it. I thought it could at least be used to teach people that they don't want to play hardcore mode, in a way that doesn't deal permanent damage (since the dropped items can still be picked up).

While I'm all for not ruining a first impression, I think it's great to have an option. I think a simple message after clicking expert, mediumcore, or hardcore saying something along the lines of "This is not the intended way to play, it is reccomended for first time players to instead play on Normal/Softcore, as this mode is frustratingly difficult even for veterans of other games". I've had to transfer accounts on console before, and having to do a playthrough on an easier mode is not something I would've enjoyed.

While I'm all for not ruining a first impression, I think it's great to have an option. I think a simple message after clicking expert, mediumcore, or hardcore saying something along the lines of "This is not the intended way to play, it is recommended for first time players to instead play on Normal/Softcore, as this mode is frustratingly difficult even for veterans of other games". I've had to transfer accounts on console before, and having to do a playthrough on an easier mode is not something I would've enjoyed.
I think we also need to consider the amount of peer pressure that players face. There are many people who claim that Expert mode is the "only" way to play, or that normal mode is dull compared to Expert mode, or that the Expert mode drops make a world of a difference. Those same people would almost certainly tell new players to ignore the warning.

I mean, the normal mode playthrough up to Wall of Flesh only takes an hour or two if you play efficiently, and if you're trying to unlock Expert mode, you probably do play efficiently. The normal mode playthrough is just a "placement test" for Expert mode. And I know most people don't enjoy placement tests, but this only needs to be done once per account/platform.

I hope this does happen, as it's rather infuriating to have to deal with people who think mediumcore is the intended way to play the game. Every time I encounter people like this I have to pull the "mediumcore's chat color isn't the default like softcore's" card and I'm getting sick of it.

I think we also need to consider the amount of peer pressure that players face.
Can't admit how important this is. When they first got the game, my friend thought it would be the best option to start the game out on Expert as their first run. I tried advising against it, but they insisted on playing that way. Let's just say that they faced a giant roadblock at Skeletron. Even Eye of Cthulhu, for that matter.
I've had to help them through the game with the use of my own appropriate character, but they are now just stuck at Wall of Flesh and have lost all motivation to play because of how difficult the boss is. This wouldn't have happened if Expert isn't a choice for glaring beginners of the game.

Support.

Even though it's a nice idea, I can't help but facepalm at new players who decide "Expert" is the right choice for them.
It's pretty clear what the word "Expert" means.

So I'd also be very all right with leaving it the way it is and have them deal with their... uhh... overconfidence. :naughty:
The way the game works they can always take their character and items to normal mode instead.

As for people giving up on playing the game after an Expert start, it's their loss really.

Anyway, not against this, of course. Like I said, it's a nice idea.

Back
Top Bottom