Official Looking for people with the Blizzard Crash/Freeze Issue

Leinfors

Quality Assurance
Re-Logic
Hello everyone,

Once again, we're looking into the notorious Blizzard Crash/Freeze issue. To elaborate, its a very unique gameplay bug where the player completely loses control of their character and become stuck in place when in a Blizzard. The game will usually continue to move and enemies will be active, but the player themself is frozen (Bugged, not Debuffed) and immobile.

We are looking for anyone who still has this issue, to potentially try a fix solution for them. If you are someone who has this issue, and can confirm you are still having it in the live version of the game, please let us know here, or you can PM me about it. We'd like to throw some test files at you to see if they fix the issue or not, because I'd really like to get this problem fixed. :)

Hi Leinfors,
I was wondering if you could help me as I am experiencing this bug as well and is really annoying as I cannot save when the bug is happening and therefore lose a lot of progress.
A reply with advice or a solution would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerly,
Jasmcase2216

Hello leinfors I would like to get the files that will fix this problem when you hang at the entrance to the snow biome when the snowstorm begins

Hey there guys, I'm sorry I missed a PM or two from some people, my alerts were reset and I was unaware of it. No notifications from the thread or the PMs I got. Alas.

I would like to say that, thus far, it seems that the easiest fix for this issue right now is making sure you are using a functional audio device. While not responsible for 100% of the reports, in the vast majority of cases thus far, the people experiencing this have no headphones or speakers plugged in, and plugging some in has fixed the issue.

Further cases beyond that seem to be in cases where the audio device itself is considered invalid, but this is, thus far, the exception, and not the rule.

Would love to get feedback from everyone if this is helping with the issue.

Hey, I am having this issue, even though my Audio device is a valid USB HID (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) All Hardware is connected. Was playing for a bit and when I bumped into
blizzard, the character froze while to rest of the world kept on moving.

Similarly however, Terraria does not seem to like using the Windows Default Audio and skips the device entirely (I cant even switch to using monitor sounds) and I don't hear Terraria sounds through any of my devices, which ever I chose. Even if the device is disabled and swapping over to monitor sound things only work if I REMOVE the device from usage, which honestly shouldnt be necessary.

After removing it works fine, but sucks I cant use my headphones and mic while doing so.

Occurs in v 1.3.5.3

Last edited:
I'm having this same issue and I've tried multiple different audio devices. Either way, I'm also facing the 0% music volume issue and can't hear any sounds from the game. I can't seem to get that fixed either.

Hello, I want to report that I found a solution for this problem, it's related to the audio device.
I've always played witouth sound so I disabled all audio devices and I found myself freezing (bug) during the snowstorm/blizzard...
I tried plugging my headphones to activate the audio device and run Terraria, seems that now everything works.
Hope for the fix in the Journey's End's update, hope that helps. (sorry if my English is bad, I'm not native)

CPU AMD FX-8350
MOBO MSI 970 GAMING
RAM 16GB
GPU Zotac RTX2060

Hello, I am experiencing these blizzard glitches too. It happens just how you explained them. If there is anyway to fix this please let me know, I love this game with all my heart and I don't want to keep getting frustrated over a little glitch
[doublepost=1562769277,1562768978][/doublepost]
Was this ever resolved or tackled? In preparation for Journey's End?
Thanks, I play without sound too, I listen to background music bc I just build structures now that I've beaten the game. So thank you for the fix

This error just happened to me. I'm playing on Windows 10 with an nvidia 1050 ti and an intel pentium. It seems to have something to do with Audio, as I unplugged my speakers and have been using some headphones instead. If you still need help with these I can help out.

I didn't have any problem with the game until i installed tmodloader. After a time while playing with mods i went back to vanilla terraria. Everytime when there is a sandstorm/blizzard, the game starts freezing and lagging a bit. Should i uninstall tmodloader? (I didn't transfer worlds or character to tmod)

I’ve been running into the issue for quite a bit, and it does not fail to occur when transitioning to a blizzard. I would hear a distorted noise just before the game froze. I 100% believe this to be an issue with/between the blizzard and audio. I was using a wave bank at the time, switched back to the default one, and it was fixed.

One more thing, I believe there is another bug that comes along with this. When I would try to right click an item in my inventory to grab multiple amounts, it would start off at full speed. This also went away after switching back to the default wave bank.

To replicate this glitch, you may have to use a custom wave bank.

Last edited:
If you are using a custom wave bank, then we can't consider that a valid replication of the bug.

However, as mentioned prior, the most consistent working fix for this is to make sure to have a valid audio device when playing (speakers or headphones.

Hello everyone,

Once again, we're looking into the notorious Blizzard Crash/Freeze issue. To elaborate, its a very unique gameplay bug where the player completely loses control of their character and become stuck in place when in a Blizzard. The game will usually continue to move and enemies will be active, but the player themself is frozen (Bugged, not Debuffed) and immobile.

We are looking for anyone who still has this issue, to potentially try a fix solution for them. If you are someone who has this issue, and can confirm you are still having it in the live version of the game, please let us know here, or you can PM me about it. We'd like to throw some test files at you to see if they fix the issue or not, because I'd really like to get this problem fixed. :)
Hello. I have a problem that none of my friends can help me fix it. The problem: When I join my terraria world I can play some minutes , then my screen freezes but i can use my inventory and use in-game chat other players can move as normal , i can't take any damage other players can see me . The screen freeze happens in multiplayer and singleplayer, both modded and vanilla.

Back
Top Bottom