Lost my character

JmacButter

Terrarian
I know this has most definitely happened before but I exited my world and as I looked at my characters he was gone. I went in with another character and left and not there anymore. I looked into the files and then there is a character named ���5-�e��-------------------------------------------. I am not kidding on this. What happened?

Sounds like the file might’ve gotten corrupted, I’d check the recycle bin for any .plr files and also see if there are any backup files in the players folder. Backups have .bak at the end of the name.

Sounds like the file might’ve gotten corrupted, I’d check the recycle bin for any .plr files and also see if there are any backup files in the players folder. Backups have .bak at the end of the name.
what should I do if the file of the player is empty but i see one that look like (playername).plr.bak. (Please bare with me I don't usually go into the files like this)

what should I do if the file of the player is empty but i see one that look like (playername).plr.bak. (Please bare with me I don't usually go into the files like this)
You want to change the file name and delete the .bak at the end, so that it reads (playername).plr

Once you do that, the character should show up in game. You’ll be missing a little bit of progress because it’s not the most recent save, but it’s usually not too much.

You want to change the file name and delete the .bak at the end, so that it reads (playername).plr

Once you do that, the character should show up in game. You’ll be missing a little bit of progress because it’s not the most recent save, but it’s usually not too much.
Just to make sure you want me to change that file and not the file folder that says the player name and nothing else right? And will it make another backup later?
(Again I'm sorry if I am using u a bit much)

Just to make sure you want me to change that file and not the file folder that says the player name and nothing else right? And will it make another backup later?
(Again I'm sorry if I am using u a bit much)
Yep, the folder with the character name has the map data (to show what you’ve explored on the minimap), you don’t need to change that. Just rename the .plr.bak file to exclude the .bak, the game doesn’t recognize that it’s a player file until you delete the .bak. It’ll make another .bak file after you play more, I think it periodically saves and uses the old saves as backup files.

Yep, the folder with the character name has the map data (to show what you’ve explored on the minimap), you don’t need to change that. Just rename the .plr.bak file to exclude the .bak, the game doesn’t recognize that it’s a player file until you delete the .bak. It’ll make another .bak file after you play more, I think it periodically saves and uses the old saves as backup files.
Thank you so much! Sad thing is that I dont have my zenith sword or ankh shield but at least its something. Again thank you so much for holding my hand through that

Back
Top Bottom