LOTS of Pre-Hardmode weapons tested against the Wall of Flesh

How is starfury strategy considered to be "red"? Its the best melee weapon for WoF, you just run away from it and spam stars. Most of the time boss is not even on your screen and cant do anything. The damage is not that high, but its 100% safe.

How is starfury strategy considered to be "red"? Its the best melee weapon for WoF, you just run away from it and spam stars. Most of the time boss is not even on your screen and cant do anything. The damage is not that high, but its 100% safe.
The star on its own is horrendous DPS, you need the blade to deal any significant damage, so Red.

You physically cannot hit the wall of flesh with a vertical weapon without it also being on your screen, so no safety here.

The star on its own is horrendous DPS, you need the blade to deal any significant damage, so Red.

You physically cannot hit the wall of flesh with a vertical weapon without it also being on your screen, so no safety here.
Star is a projectile (doesnt hit immediately), so you can actually hurt WoF outside of your screen while constantly moving forward. But it doesnt really matter if it is off screen or right on its border, my point still stands - you can keep safe distance most of the fight (the only exception is when WoF is on last 5% health and starts charging into player with insane speed).

You seriously inderestimate the star's dps. I would even say, the blade dps is not that important at all.
To prove my words:
Star has a delay of 40 frames, deals 44 base melee damage and usually hits 2 segments: eye (0 defense with sharpening station) and mouth (6 defense), for a total of (44 + 41) / (40 / 60) = 127.5 dps. Blade only hits mouth for (22-3) / (20 / 60) = 63 dps. Plus I might be dumb, but I dont know how to swing in the opposite direction of character's movement - its only possible for swords with built-in autoswing, like Night's edge and Muramasa. Neither Starfury, nor other swords like Fiery greatsword can do so, and you wont get even these 63 dps consistently.

Yes, 127.5 dps is not a lot, but its guaranteed and 100% safe. 1.5 minutes of going left side - and expert WoF is dead. And of course most of the time you have some good equipment - with molten armor, legendary modifier, wrath potion and all Lucky reforges you get
(44 × (1+0,17+0,15+0,1) × (1,04+0,07+0,05+0,2) × 2 − 3) ÷ (40÷60) = 250 dps, which is pretty decent (requires 45 seconds to kill WoF).

Starfury is easily the best melee weapon against WoF, I cant even imagine beating her with Night's edge or something else, its less effective and way more risky.

le th
The star deals double the damage of the blade, and even on low laptop level resolutions, you're out of range the hungry by a fair margin. This safety margin increases with better resolutions.

You should probably run a 'safe Starfury' test

Wouldn’t the Star Fury require a metric crap ton of prep time to destroy the blocks above the WoF in order to be able to hit it? That’s why I didn’t even have it listed in my tests, because a I really don’t care enough to spend that kind of time.

Also, how long of a bridge would you need for this?

Starfury is overrated for the Wall of Flesh.

Yes, it’s the safest melee option for the Wall of Flesh with at least some DPS, but the thing is that, even in melee armor, you could literally just use whatever ranged or mage weapon you want (i mean, that did reasonably well here) and likely get better results than Starfury did. The only time it matters is for pure classes, which are challenge runs by principle anyway, and you could think of a challenge run that could make any weapon “good”.

Wouldn’t the Star Fury require a metric crap ton of prep time to destroy the blocks above the WoF in order to be able to hit it? That’s why I didn’t even have it listed in my tests, because a I really don’t care enough to spend that kind of time.

Also, how long of a bridge would you need for this?
With Star Fury, I usually use Featherfall, Obsidian Skin and Water Walking potions. You don't need a bridge since you're walking on lava, and you're low down enough the star works fine (I usually check once for obstructions).

It's a great weapon if you keep the Wall just off the screen and swing at the edge of the screen; the star can hit multiple times and the battle is completely safe. I know it doesn't compare to Demon Scythe/Star Cannon/Obsidian armor but it's easy and quick. It's the only way I was able to beat Master Mode melee.

Back
Top Bottom