Lunar weapon DPS comparison

Varsia

Empress of Light
Well, I've been bored and have decided to compare the DPSes of Lunar weapons.
Each weapon shall be measured using the appropriate armour (Solar Flare for melee, Vortex for ranged, Nebula for magic).
I won't be doing summoner, as the DPS for that is a bit difficult to measure.
For notes:
-I also won't be using any special strategies that may be used to maximise DPS, and DoT debuffs will not be taken into account.
-In the case of Vortex armour, I will be using the special ability.
-I have no damage boosting accessories.

Weapon | Single Target | Small Crowd (3 dummies) | Large Crowd (15 dummies) | Notes:
Melee: Solar Eruption|2.1k DPS|6.7k DPS|14.6k DPS|Deals a 25-per-hit DoT debuff. This deals 100-125 DPS. (Thanks, @GC_dzbanek !)
Melee: Daybreak|870 DPS| non-piercing weapon | non-piercing weapon |Deals a 25-per-hit DoT debuff (stacks to 200). At max stack, deals about 900 DPS. (Thanks, @General Milky !)
Melee: Star Wrath|1.6k DPS|4k DPS|7.2k DPS|Star projectiles rain from the sky at the cursor; will not work under a roof.
Melee: Meowmere|1.2k DPS|4.1k DPS|7.8k DPS|Fires bouncing projectiles.
Melee: Terrarian|1.9k DPS|4.6k DPS|5.1k DPS|Rapidly fires projectiles towards the nearest enemy.
Ranged: Phantasm (luminite arrows)|6k DPS|13.6k DPS|21.5k DPS|Fires several arrows per shot. Hitting an enemy launches out "Phantom arrows" at a very fast speed.
Ranged: Vortex Beater (luminite bullets)|2.9k DPS|7.5k DPS|26.2k DPS|Fires both bullets and explosives.
Ranged: SDMG (luminite bullets)|3.7k DPS|12k DPS|45.8k DPS|No notes; direct Megashark upgrade.
Ranged: Celebration (Rocket Is)|2.9k DPS|5.7k DPS|6k DPS|Fires 2 rockets.
Magic: Nebula Blaze|1k DPS| non-piercing weapon | non-piercing weapon |Homing.
Magic: Nebula Arcanum|250 DPS|3.1k DPS|3.8k DPS|Slow moving, homing projectile.
Magic: Last Prism|3.4k DPS|10k DPS|50k DPS|Requires charging for maximum effect.
Magic: Lunar Flare|3.9k DPS|10.9k DPS|18.5k DPS|Rains projectiles from the sky; projectiles fall through blocks until hitting cursor height or hitting an enemy.
Pretty sure that's all.
Tell me if I missed anything.

Last edited:
The Celebration should be tested with Rocket III, and there should be a separate test for the ranged weapons in order to compare their difference between using stealth or not.

you should test Nebula Arcanum again but put a wall 8 blocks behind the single dummy, the Arcanum projectile go slower after hitting a wall (and considering that it chase enemies...)

there's no Lunar Flare.
Ah, yes. I forgot that.
The Celebration should be tested with Rocket III, and there should be a separate test for the ranged weapons in order to compare their difference between using stealth or not.
That's a good idea. I'll do that.
you should test Nebula Arcanum again but put a wall 8 blocks behind the single dummy, the Arcanum projectile go slower after hitting a wall (and considering that it chase enemies...)
I made sure to test in such a way as to have no chance for it to chase enemies.

Alright, I've added in the Lunar Flare.
Also, I'll do the non-stealth ranged DPSes now.

Nice job! I like seeing how things stack up against each other. Gives you a good idea of what to make first. And then sometimes when you love how a weapon works you use it even if you know it doesn't have the best numbers. :D

Can I make it like this so that I can read it better?

Weapon | Single Target | Small Crowd (3 dummies) | Large Crowd (15 dummies)
Melee: Solar Eruption|2.1k DPS|6.7k DPS|14.6k DPS
Melee: Daybreak|870 DPS| non-piercing weapon | non-piercing weapon
Melee: Star Wrath|1.6k DPS|4k DPS|7.2k DPS
Melee: Meowmere|1.2k DPS|4.1k DPS|7.8k DPS
Ranged: Phantasm (luminite arrows)|6k DPS|13.6k DPS|21.5k DPS
Ranged: Vortex Beater (luminite bullets)|2.9k DPS|7.5k DPS|26.2k DPS
Ranged: SDMG (luminite bullets)|3.7k DPS|12k DPS|45.8k DPS
Ranged: Celebration (Rocket Is)|2.9k DPS|5.7k DPS|6k DPS
Magic: Nebula Blaze|1k DPS| non-piercing weapon | non-piercing weapon
Magic: Nebula Arcanum|250 DPS|3.1k DPS|3.8k DPS
Magic: Last Prism|3.4k DPS|10k DPS|50k DPS
Magic: Lunar Flare|3.9k DPS|10.9k DPS|18.5k DPS

In the wiki says that last prism can reach 700k DPS

Edit: Nvm, i just read "15 dummies"

Nice job! I like seeing how things stack up against each other. Gives you a good idea of what to make first. And then sometimes when you love how a weapon works you use it even if you know it doesn't have the best numbers. :D

Can I make it like this so that I can read it better?

-tablesnip-
Wow. You are amazing.

I love tables.

Though the daybreak is not a very strong weapon, it's still way better than this overview makes it seem. In terraria's own DPS calc, the DOT is not included, which is 25 damage per (I think) tick per hit spear (max 200 dmg).

Though the daybreak is not a very strong weapon, it's still way better than this overview makes it seem. In terraria's own DPS calc, the DOT is not included, which is 25 damage per (I think) tick per hit spear (max 200 dmg).
That is absolutely correct. There are a fair few weapons that under-perform against test dummies due to this sort of problem. A huge part of Daybreak's damage is it's stacking DOT, which the DPS Meter fails to account for. Similarly, weapons such as the Razorblade Typhoon with enemy-specific mechanics (the typhoon's homing causing the projectiles to swirl around enemies, dealing more damage) don't have as strong of a showing as they should have against testing dummies.

Even so, comparisons like this are super handy. Great work, Haloboy! :dryadgrin:

Last edited:
That is absolutely correct. There are a fair few weapons that under-perform against test dummies due to this sort of problem. A huge part of Daybreak's damage is it's stacking DOT, which the DPS Meter fails to account for. Similarly, weapons such as he Razorblade Typhoon with enemy-specific mechanics (the typhoon's homing causing the projectiles to swirl around enemies, dealing more damage) don't have as strong of a showing as they should have against testing dummies.

Even so, comparisons like this are super handy. Great work, Haloboy! :dryadgrin:
It's actually just 200 extra damage per second. That's actually... Negligible, compared to the total damage of most endgame/postgame weapons. It doesn't add much at all.

Edit: It is NOT 200 per second. This needs further investigation.

Yeah, I know this.
It's kind of annoying, but I guess it's nothing I can fix myself, really.

If somebody could get an accurate DPS with the DoT added for the Daybreak, that'd be great.
For now, I'm going to keep it up there as it is.

It's actually just 200 extra damage per second. That's actually... Negligible, compared to the total damage of most endgame/postgame weapons. It doesn't add much at all.

Edit: It is NOT 200 per second. This needs further investigation.
Hold on a minute, gonna look up the Buff ID
(Buff ID is 189, now I need to remember where the effects are... Player.cs I believe?)

If only IL_Spy could decompile NPC.cs...
(My predictions on the code incoming)

Code:
int damage = 25;
byte buffLevel = 0;
byte Timer;
bool bool1 = (!Main.npc[i].AddBuff[189])
if (Main.projectile[i].type = 612 && bool1 && Projectile.SolidCollision.npc[i] = true)
{
Timer = 10;
Timer--;
if (Timer = 0)
{
//insert damage string here
}
}
else if (Main.projectile[i].type = 612 && !bool1 && Projectile.SolidCollision.npc[i] = true)
{
buffLevel += (Main.rand(2).next)/2
}
I'll predict an overall DPS of 1200 in debuffs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom