NPCs & Enemies Lunatic Cultist Rework

Which of the Cultist's New phases is your favorite?

• Total voters
I can't sprite either. If someone sees this make a support banner!
I found a guy that can sprite support banners:

Added the poll, just to see which phase I did the best job on.

Edit: Help how do I remove the duplicate option lol.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about revisiting the Stardust Phase and the Nebula Phase, something about them just leaves me unsatisfied, should I? Perhaps I should just make the Stardust phase replace the first phase and give him entirely new attacks? (take out the star cell, though).

Edit: Actually, after reading the Nebula Phase, I think all it needs is a single attack. The other attacks are fine, but one of them doesn't happen very often, so I could just add one.

Edit 2: I also do still need input on the clones, are they fine?

Last edited:
I really like the reflect attack for solar. Its should look like the shield break animation for the pillars.

This is my definition of torture. This seems like a really good fight!
That is because it is torture. Yeah it does!
Added the poll, just to see which phase I did the best job on.

Edit: Help how do I remove the duplicate option lol.
Well you report the thread and ask for the staff to delete the poll to delete it so maybe report it and ask for the option to be merged with the other one.

Last edited:
I can't sprite :sigh:, I would totally accept it if someone made it for me, though.

Actually, sprites for all of the different Cultist forms would be good to have in the OP.
EscenceEeeeehGif.gif

Solar Cultist.png
Vortex Cultist.png
Nebula Cultist.png
Stardust Cultist.png
Terra Cultist.png

[EDIT] Oh, you... you specified colors for each robe in the suggestion. I am STUPID.
At least I got the Terra Cultist right.
...I almost didn't get THAT right, either. I had originally planned for the green and blue to be inverse, but that ended up looking pretty "egh", so I decided to just go with the expected look.
Quick fun fact, since I'm already editing this: I referenced my Nebularian's design with the Nebula Cultist, which is the only reason that sprite ended up looking more interesting than the Solar, Vortex and Stardust robes.

Also, is there any particular reason that the Solar Cultist took your liking more than the other three pillar phases?
Juuuust noticed you made that edit. I was saying that I liked the fact that you referenced the White/Solar Cultist stuff already in the game, but I had also failed to realize that you wanted a different robe color for the Solar Lunatic Cultist, as well as with, um, the other phases, save for the Terra Cultist.

Upon rereading the suggestion, I found something that bugged me:
The Cultist warps offscreen and then dashes above the player while firing bullets downwards at a 45 degree angle at the same fire rate as the SDMG.
That, uh, definitely doesn't seem dodgeable; SDMG fires fast. Also, what's being used to fire the bullets, here?

Last edited:
View attachment 231349
View attachment 231390View attachment 231348View attachment 231344View attachment 231346View attachment 231347
[EDIT] Oh, you... you specified colors for each robe in the suggestion. I am STUPID.
At least I got the Terra Cultist right.
...I almost didn't get THAT right, either. I had originally planned for the green and blue to be inverse, but that ended up looking pretty "egh", so I decided to just go with the expected look.
Quick fun fact, since I'm already editing this: I referenced my Nebularian's design with the Nebula Cultist, which is the only reason that sprite ended up looking more interesting than the Solar, Vortex and Stardust robes.
These really are super good though, If you just left them as is I'd totally be fine with it (I mostly just gave them different colors to distinguish them, but if you are going to recolor them anyway I may as well not stop you.)
Upon rereading the suggestion, I found something that bugged me:

That, uh, definitely doesn't seem dodgeable; SDMG fires fast. Also, what's being used to fire the bullets, here?
Well, I may not have been specific enough. I meant he warps off to the side and a short way upwards, then starts firing (at a 45 degree angle downward) and dashing in a straight horizontal line at the same time. I do understand it might be a bit unfair if you don't see it coming (you can easily dodge it by flying straight up, but you probably won't figure that out the first time you see that attack).
I probably should either be more specific or find a way to change it.

Also, I mostly just forgot to give him a weapon for that part, he probably would use a fish alien that looks similar to the SDMG vortexified (with multiple eyes and everything).
I also do still need input on the clones, are they fine?
No one has said anything about the clones, so I do kind of need to know if I should revisit them.

Last edited:
These really are super good though, If you just left them as is I'd totally be fine with it (I mostly just gave them different colors to distinguish them, but if you are going to recolor them anyway I may as well not stop you.)
I only made an alternate sprite for the Solar robe, since that and Vortex look pretty similar, and, despite the Solar Cultist set existing, I really liked how the Vortex robe looked.
Well, I may not have been specific enough. I meant he warps off to the side and a short way upwards, then starts firing (at a 45 degree angle downward) and dashing in a straight horizontal line at the same time. I do understand it might be a bit unfair if you don't see it coming (you can easily dodge it by flying straight up, but you probably won't figure that out the first time you see that attack).
I probably should either be more specific or find a way to change it.
No, I got all of that; my brain just thought the bullets were intended to be able to be weaved through. I got nothin' for how to warn of the attack without making it look weird, sorry.
No one has said anything about the clones, so I do kind of need to know if I should revisit them.
Oh, right, whoops.
  • I'm assuming the Brain of Cthulhu-like hallucinations make up the Solar Lunatic Cultist's clone attack. They're cool and good, except that they kinda conflict with the Nebula clones; the Solar projectiles can just be destroyed, but the Nebula ones can't (and I think home in?), but if you make the Solar projectiles indestructible, they just become identical to the Nebula ones.
  • The Vortex clones make me wonder why you didn't just go with actual Storm Divers, unless the clones don't inflict Distorted.
  • The Nebula clones kinda just sound like the normal fights' fakes, so I think you should change these instead of the Solar clones. I also think just being a few seconds behind would make things awkward if the Nebula Lunatic Cultist takes too long for one attack, so I think they should all just move in tandem.
  • The Stardust clones just being meat shields is kinda bland, I think. Maybe each defeated clone could fire 2 tiny star projectiles to the player's current position, which poof out when they reach their destination. The health is also a concern for me, but that's just because I don't know how many clones there are (the two should definitely be inversely proportional.

• I'm assuming the Brain of Cthulhu-like hallucinations make up the Solar Lunatic Cultist's clone attack. They're cool and good, except that they kinda conflict with the Nebula clones; the Solar projectiles can just be destroyed, but the Nebula ones can't (and I think home in?), but if you make the Solar projectiles indestructible, they just become identical to the Nebula ones.
  • The Vortex clones make me wonder why you didn't just go with actual Storm Divers, unless the clones don't inflict Distorted.
  • The Nebula clones kinda just sound like the normal fights' fakes, so I think you should change these instead of the Solar clones. I also think just being a few seconds behind would make things awkward if the Nebula Lunatic Cultist takes too long for one attack, so I think they should all just move in tandem.
  • The Stardust clones just being meat shields is kinda bland, I think. Maybe each defeated clone could fire 2 tiny star projectiles to the player's current position, which poof out when they reach their destination. The health is also a concern for me, but that's just because I don't know how many clones there are (the two should definitely be inversely proportional.
Correct. Also the Nebula ones do home, but it's less like sharp homing and more like just noticeably curving towards the player.
Funny thing is, Storm Divers apparently DON'T inflict distorted like both of us thought they did (which is the reason I didn't just use them), I probably should think of something else in that case.
I was picturing them acting like "Cosmic Clones" from Super Mario Galaxy, if that makes sense. Meaning it's less like the originals and more like just a trail of followers. Again, I probably should be more specific. :sigh:
I wanted the Stardust Clones to be more like something meant to support the cultist than an attack. Having a death burst probably does make them a lot better without getting rid of that idea, though.
For all clones, it works like the current system of spawning two more every time you guess incorrectly (capping at four) and having all of them despawning on a correct guess.

I was picturing them acting like "Cosmic Clones" from Super Mario Galaxy, if that makes sense. Meaning it's less like the originals and more like just a trail of followers. Again, I probably should be more specific. :sigh:
No, no, I got that (hence "I also think just being a few seconds behind would make things awkward if the Nebula Lunatic Cultist takes too long for one attack, so I think they should all just move in tandem."); you're fine.
I wanted the Stardust Clones to be more like something meant to support the cultist than an attack. Having a death burst probably does make them a lot better without getting rid of that idea, though.
For all clones, it works like the current system of spawning two more every time you guess incorrectly (capping at four) and having all of them despawning on a correct guess.
Hm, maybe you should double it for the Stardust clones. Would make sense that the summoning-proficient phase would be able to do that, and 4 clones would actually be able to get in the way in a more meaningful way. Otherwise, you should probably double the clones' health.

No, no, I got that (hence "I also think just being a few seconds behind would make things awkward if the Nebula Lunatic Cultist takes too long for one attack, so I think they should all just move in tandem."); you're fine.

Hm, maybe you should double it for the Stardust clones. Would make sense that the summoning-proficient phase would be able to do that, and 4 clones would actually be able to get in the way in a more meaningful way. Otherwise, you should probably double the clones' health.
Ah, I see. I don't really get what what's wrong with them stacking every once in a while, from what examples in games I've seen it actually doesn't look janky as long as they aren't a few pixels off from each other (which probably wouldn't happen unless someone messes up their coding anyway).

If I made the cap 8, we could have an outer ring and an inner ring rotating different directions, and I love that. I'm definitely gonna do that.

Reactions: Bry
Alright, I've updated this a bit.
~Reworked the Vortex Phase and Stardust Phase's clones and added more information about the Nebula Phase's Clones.
~Added some sprites by @Bry-ccentric (Thank youuuuuuuu! :D)
~Removed the joke about Moon Lord's Legs because it's been basically confirmed as a boss since then. (Also only one person seemed to notice it anyway.)
~Added a new mechanic to the Terrarian Phase.
~Probably something else I forgot about.

Edit: Oh right, the Lunar Fulcrum is a thing now. I honestly have absolutely no idea how good of an idea it is. So please feel free to criticize it.

Last edited:
The Lunar Fulcrum is a thing now. I honestly have absolutely no idea how good of an idea it is. So please feel free to criticize it.

It's terrible because 75% of the time it will do nothing for your main weapon, and when it does it just makes it inflict a pointless DoT debuff or Confused, which all important enemies resist.
You should probably make him only have 6 phases in the very first fight, since that's basically what that item guarantees anyways.

You should probably make him only have 6 phases in the very first fight, since that's basically what that item guarantees anyways.
But what if people WANT to refight full-power Cultist? Having the choice would be nice, no?

Back
Top Bottom